• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I send reinforcements to a batlle which is already being fought, which general's bonus applies? Always the attack bonus or it depends on if I'm the defender or the attacker in the original battle?

I sent armies into two battles which were already underway, but they wouldn't fight. Why? They just stood there in the middle without fighting. Reloaded, tried again, and the same thing happened. Any insight would be appreciated.
Were they fought by your country, or by two countries not being in the same war (or even rebels vs enemy)?
If you tried to reinforce your own armies, or the armies of an ally in the same war, it's a bug.
If one of the combatants was not in the same war as you, that behavior is normal - Clausewitz cannot process more than two separate parties in a battle.
Colonizing, you'll need to research some techs.
Not necessarily - there are few states which could be colonized without techs (small parts of Africa, parts of North America).

do you use barrels on their own or do you use them as artillery, behind a wall of infantry?
You mean tanks (barrels are one of the things to produce them)?
Never use them like artillery! They use the same symbol, but have 0 'support' ('support' determines how much of it's original stats a unit can use in the second row - where 1 is 100%), so a tank in the second row does nothing.
Btw:
Contrary to popular belief, artillery doesn't gets slaughtered if placed in the first row. However artillery only armies have one really significant disadvantage till planes appear:
Artillery couldn't get more recon than 0.5 (Strategic Mobility), to get a army with significant recon (which is responsible for occupation speed - an army with zero recon will never occupy anything). However, adding one or two planes, is enough recon - and by that time artillery has a big enough stat advantage over the alternatives (excluding tanks), to justify the higher cost.

You mean tanks (barrels are one of the things to produce them)?
Never use them like artillery! They use the same symbol, but have 0 'support' ('support' determines how much of it's original stats a unit can use in the second row - where 1 is 100%), so a tank in the second row does nothing.
Btw:
Contrary to popular belief, artillery doesn't gets slaughtered if placed in the first row. However artillery only armies have one really significant disadvantage till planes appear:
Artillery couldn't get more recon than 0.5 (Strategic Mobility), to get a army with significant recon (which is responsible for occupation speed - an army with zero recon will never occupy anything). However, adding one or two planes, is enough recon - and by that time artillery has a big enough stat advantage over the alternatives (excluding tanks), to justify the higher cost.

allright. I was just thinking of bumbing my question. Now I don't have to. Thanks, Shierholzer! Glad to hear tanks can be used more or less like I'm used to.

Is it just me or do Barrels/Tanks tend to suffer disprortionate numbers of casualties? At one point as a test I deployed a single regiment of Tanks against a single regiment of Rebel Infantry and the tanks ended up suffering more causalties then I would have suffered if I sent a single infantry unit to deal with the same problem (I tested it and the casualties were something like -829 for the tanks and -452 for the Infantry). Do Tanks suffer worse in terrain then Infantry and such like Tanks do in HoI3? I haven't seen any tooltip info to suggest it but its the only thing I could think of)

Since then I usually stick 1-3 Tanks alongside 5-10 guard and some Artillery and they still seem to suffer more causalties proportionally then the Infantry.

Is it just me or do Barrels/Tanks tend to suffer disprortionate numbers of casualties? At one point as a test I deployed a single regiment of Tanks against a single regiment of Rebel Infantry and the tanks ended up suffering more causalties then I would have suffered if I sent a single infantry unit to deal with the same problem (I tested it and the casualties were something like -829 for the tanks and -452 for the Infantry). Do Tanks suffer worse in terrain then Infantry and such like Tanks do in HoI3? I haven't seen any tooltip info to suggest it but its the only thing I could think of)

Since then I usually stick 1-3 Tanks alongside 5-10 guard and some Artillery and they still seem to suffer more causalties proportionally then the Infantry.
Poor supply of fuel, barrels and/or artillery?
Or are we talking about mods? It's possible to define unit specific terrain penalties/bonuses, but in vanilla that was only done for engineers (+40% fort attack - which contrary to some statements doesn't affect occupation speed) - however, I know, that APD does it for almost every unit.

If I upgrade to AHD can I still play the regular Victoria II? And is Victoria II what you guys mean when you say "vanilla?"

Also, regarding gameplay – could someone please explain Naval supply briefly? I'm trying to determine how far my units can move without extremely undesirable erosion.

Thanks guys! My Mexican Empire isn't doing too badly. I held off the USA long enough to force a peace where I have retained all of my original North American holdings (I didn't even try to prevent them from annexing Texas, though); it being my first game I submitted to the British Empire's war goal of "containing Mexico" without realizing how terrible it would be :) All of my units immediately wiped off the board and five years before I could build anything :) I definitely want to try to avoid that situation again :) Along the way though I have conquered and annexed significant parts of Central America, Colombia, Peru and all of Ecuador. The next time the British declared war to contain me I fought them tooth and nail. It was very rough for a long time, especially with their domination of the seas and whatnot. And at one point they occupied nearly half the territories in my South American empire. But I was able to push them back almost completely from my South American territories and after nearly 10 years of war was able to win a "white peace." I was pretty happy with that because I was getting ready to resign that game :)

So it's 1875 and I have Mexico at #7 on the board and a Great Power. I have done everything you guys have said and I still can't land troops amphibiously but I'll try again in a bit. I suspect it's a game bug.

Regarding colonies, does it matter how close they are to you? I think the British respond particularly strongly if I try to do anything in the Atlantic and my holdings in the Americas tend to be on the Pacific coast anyway so I was thinking about trying to colonize in that part of the world. Is there any particular type of unit I need to develop before colonizing? I tried right clicking on a couple of territories and I guess I didn't have the technology yet to colonize, but I don't want to undergo a big effort and send ships and troops halfway across the world and then find out I can't colonize :) so someone just please tell me what technologies or units are needed to colonize. And in what circumstances are you not able to colonize.

Also, outside of the culture technologies that give you research points are there any units or any type of national focus that improves how quickly you develop technologies? Is there a difference between education and technological development?

One last thing – I have good relations with the Confederate States of America (+65) who seem to have won their independence from the north even though they have not acquired the "core territory" they still seem to be seeking out. They are no longer at war with the North and are even on friendly terms. But they are not in an alliance and neither am I. They are not even in someone else's sphere of influence. When I try to ally with them, however, the game says "impossible." Is there any particular reason for that? Are my relations with them not nearly strong enough? How high do I need to make the positive number before they will consider an alliance or before I could perhaps bring them into my sphere of influence? I feel as though nothing would ensure my long-term safety more than isolating the US by developing a strong relationship with the Confederacy. My infamy is at 169 :) Could that be a reason for the difficulty?

Thanks guys :)

Tom

Yet another question (Forgive me) :)

Is there any maintenance cost to the number of units you have? It seems like I can build as many naval units as I possibly can with very little impact on my economy. Is this true? If so, is there any reason not to build as many naval units as I possibly can? I do see that there is a limit on the number of ground units one can have.

Yet another question (Forgive me) :)

Is there any maintenance cost to the number of units you have? It seems like I can build as many naval units as I possibly can with very little impact on my economy. Is this true? If so, is there any reason not to build as many naval units as I possibly can? I do see that there is a limit on the number of ground units one can have.

Naval maintenance is very expensive in AHD (if you pay for it, which you don't always have to)...I would assume the same in V2 except it is a lot easier to make gobs of money from what I hear that the costs are not as noticeable.

I realize after my last incredibly lengthy questioning post that I should look into some of the game rules more :) I'm reviewing the strategy guide a little more closely now that I understand something about the game. Sorry for going on and on with questions whose answers I can probably find in the strategy guide :)

Okay, back to quick questions as the thread intended :)

How do I cancel a fort once I have started to construct it?

Thanks guys. I'm now dabbling in a greater understanding of production and economy :)

I realize after my last incredibly lengthy questioning post that I should look into some of the game rules more :) I'm reviewing the strategy guide a little more closely now that I understand something about the game. Sorry for going on and on with questions whose answers I can probably find in the strategy guide :)

The published guides are a little dated in spots, so don't take them as Gospel. Feel free to start a "Help Tom" thread whenever you have more than a quick question.

I sent armies into two battles which were already underway, but they wouldn't fight. Why? They just stood there in the middle without fighting. Reloaded, tried again, and the same thing happened. Any insight would be appreciated.
Was this battle by chance being fought in territory controlled by neither you nor your opponent? This can happen if one is fighting a battle in an ally's territory and that ally makes a separate peace. The original armies in the battle will continue fighting until the battle ends, but neither side may send reinforcements. The exception to this rule is if both parties in the battle have military access from the neutral country.

Is it so that the unit's origin province is the only one reinforcing it? A Rome guard unit gets reinforced from Rome, for example, and not from a national "pool" of soldier pops?

Does it get reinforced faster by standing in the home province?

The wuestion came to mind as I was answering another. I usually don't pay muct attention to how i set up my armies other than makign sure i have enough artillery, but perhaps I should?

Does units from around the same area get a boost when stacked together?

I wonder if there is an exact release date for HoD expansion?

No, only that it is scheduled for release in Q1. Most likely in the latter half of March, unless it gets delayed.

Okay, back to quick questions as the thread intended :)

How do I cancel a fort once I have started to construct it?

Thanks guys. I'm now dabbling in a greater understanding of production and economy :)

Hey TomNY, you've got a registered game and you're asking good questions, but it seems to me you might get more consistent help and a bigger overall picture if you started your own thread in General. Something like "My first game with Mexico!" or whatever and you can ask the questions as they come ... and we'll know the context better ... and watch your game grow. Just a thought!