• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is exactly the advantage of having a nation as a Puppet ?
As long as they didn't get GP, they follow you politically. Your puppets will back you in any war. Also (I'm not sure about this) you get an bonus for influencing your puppets.
--
Apart from that, there are some gamey tactics using puppets (eg as Prussia/Austria occupy the entire enemy and enforce Hegemony and Puppet, just to fire the Germany decision next day, resulting in a much cheaper Greater Germany).

500K gift

Ummmmm .... is this the right place to post this question I wonder?

My Paradox newsletter says that we all have been given a free copy of EU3: Chronicles -- just for being a forum member at this time. So, how does one go about getting this gift? At the Paradox online store you can get Chronicles for 55% off, but I didn't see how you could get it for free.

can someone tell me what does each of those do: aristocrats, bureacrats, soldiers, clerks, etc. or maybe a link.. thanks.

Aristocrats own your rgo's, they add to output efficiency.
Capitalists are like aristocrats, but for factories.
Artisans are your initial 'factories', they make goods out of raw materials, feeding your populace needs and government
Clergy educate your populace and add to research points (up to 2% of the pop will boost the RP generation)
Bureaucrats add admin efficiency to each state and lower state crime rates, bringing more money and goods to their right place, I guess
Clerks add to your research point base (up to 4% of the pop will boost RP generation) and work in factories reducing throughput (making them more cost effective) up to 20% reduction in throughput if it is fully employed.
Officers give you leadership, and up to .2% of your pop will add to your overall military score
Soldiers fight wars..but we all know that.
Craftsmen work in factories, most will probably be ex farmer and labourers who promote.
farmers and labourers are your base work force, they work in the rgo's, providing you with raw materials
Slaves, just like farmers and labourers, except they are a static pop group with no money.

All of them contribute to spending in your economy to varying degrees.

Ummmmm .... is this the right place to post this question I wonder?

My Paradox newsletter says that we all have been given a free copy of EU3: Chronicles -- just for being a forum member at this time. So, how does one go about getting this gift? At the Paradox online store you can get Chronicles for 55% off, but I didn't see how you could get it for free.

You'll have a Steam key. If you go into Steam, go to 'games' at the top, then 'activate a product on Steam', you'll be able to enter the key (which should be in your newsletter I think).

And no, this isn't really the right place to ask :D

But by a very tiny amount. Never encourage aristos, there's never any good reason to do so.

Capis reduce the inputs required for factories in the state their in, and will also spend their own money to build new factories and railways. Capis are hugely valuable, but you don't need very many.

Artisans are your initial 'factories', they make goods out of raw materials, feeding your populace needs and government

This.

Clergy educate your populace and add to research points (up to 2% of the pop will boost the RP generation)

This, plus they also reduce CON.

Bureaucrats add admin efficiency to each state and lower state crime rates, bringing more money and goods to their right place, I guess

Crats do reduce crime, but also reduce the cost of government spending. Gov spending is 100%+(100%-admin eff), so if you have no crats it costs twice as much to support your army or pay your clergy.

Clerks add to your research point base (up to 4% of the pop will boost RP generation) and work in factories reducing throughput (making them more cost effective) up to 20% reduction in throughput if it is fully employed.

Clerks don't effect throughput, they increase output by up to 20%.

Officers give you leadership, and up to .2% of your pop will add to your overall military score

Officers don't directly effect mil score, but leadership is used to generate generals and admirals, who do. Units led by Generals and Admirals are also waaaaaaaaay better.

This (you recruit units from soldier pops)

Craftsmen work in factories, most will probably be ex farmer and labourers who promote.

This

farmers and labourers are your base work force, they work in the rgo's, providing you with raw materials

This

Slaves, just like farmers and labourers, except they are a static pop group with no money.

And this.

How exactly is the admin eff broken down by where it is the local eff v the national - I've got some hunches that could stand confirmation or clarification. The biggie is on promotion speed, as my experience has led me to believe the tooltip is incorrect and it is the local, not national efficiency that matters.

How exactly is the admin eff broken down by where it is the local eff v the national - I've got some hunches that could stand confirmation or clarification. The biggie is on promotion speed, as my experience has led me to believe the tooltip is incorrect and it is the local, not national efficiency that matters.

Local handles promo rate effects and crime fighting effects etc.

Almost anything to do with money is handled on a national level.

What about soldier supply? Urban legend has it that that is based on the local eff of the province of the supporting soldier POP.

You hang out in the weirdest urban spaces in the world, clearly :p Urban legend round here are generally more about drug lords than obscure rules in grand strategy titles.

I'm pretty sure this is based on national admin levels.

Is there any way to allocate military spending or national stockpile to only the land military and not the navy? I built up a significant navy for some expansionary goals but am having problems with rebels at home. I don't want to scuttle the navy but I also can't afford to be stockpiling clippers when I need to 100% my land forces.

All of them contribute to spending in your economy to varying degrees.

Thanks for detailed answers.

I just encourage bureacrats when I try to turn a colony into a state(never success though), and capitalists when I have Laissez Faire, and clerks when I need them in factories.

Is that enough?

How can I tell if I'm in a country's SoI? I can't seem to see any interface indication of this. When I hover over other countries it tells me but not when I hover over my own.

Is there any way to allocate military spending or national stockpile to only the land military and not the navy? I built up a significant navy for some expansionary goals but am having problems with rebels at home. I don't want to scuttle the navy but I also can't afford to be stockpiling clippers when I need to 100% my land forces.

Is the only way I can do this in the Trade screen by setting auto or manual purchase values?

Clerks don't effect throughput, they increase output by up to 20%.
Hmm..In a scenarion where a factory employs 10k craftsmen vs 8k craftsmen and 2k clerks, I was under the impression throughput was reduced by an equal percentage to the employment of clerks as well, perhaps not directly due to the clerks, but indirectly as craftsmen are increasing throughput?

Hmm..In a scenarion where a factory employs 10k craftsmen vs 8k craftsmen and 2k clerks, I was under the impression throughput was reduced by an equal percentage to the employment of clerks as well, perhaps not directly due to the clerks, but indirectly as craftsmen are increasing throughput?

Yes, you'll have more throughput from a 100% craftsman factory in that sense. But it's due to clerks not effecting throughput at all. Anything that just reduces throughput (as opposed to reducing input or increasing output/throughput) would be a very bad thing indeed :)

Alright, I did thanks.

You may upload the file here:
https://www.virustotal.com/
That website checks the file with a bunch of scanners at once.
--
For me that message looks like a false positive (Name: "Unknown" - that hints to heuristic, which could be anything from a bad programmed piece of software to a new threat.

Yeah you probably got a point. It's just weird it suddenly said it was a virus after having played it before. Thanks.
0 Virus according to the site btw.

Anyways, I know the .NET fix, by deleting the file. But everytime I launch game it still gives me the CD-key and launches the Steam Client something "winslave" something. Like it performs a first time installation or something every time. Any fix?

Last edited:
Yes, you'll have more throughput from a 100% craftsman factory in that sense. But it's due to clerks not effecting throughput at all. Anything that just reduces throughput (as opposed to reducing input or increasing output/throughput) would be a very bad thing indeed :)

Ahh, so there is a sweet spot for the percentage of clerks in a factory then based on several factors including technologies that affect input, output, and throughput. Reducing the number of craftsmen affects the throughput, increasing the number of clerks increases the output, there is an optimal balance then that needs to be continually adjusted based on changing tech then I assume.

Will HoD be released for the mac as well? I realise Paradox won't be porting it, but will it be ported like Vicky 2 and AHD were?