• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a disadvantage to turning colonies into states? Other than having the colonists vote, that is?

It can play major havoc with your literacy. I think that's a much bigger disadvantage than the voting concerns you mention. Literacy is an average of all your POPs; large numbers of illiterate POPs, therefore, can be a problem.

As Burma, how can I raise my military score from 31 to 50? It's 1865 and the military score is all I need.

Another way to raise your MIL score is to promote Soldiers via NF. Remember that potential soldiers matter more than what you've actually built (say, 18/25, 25 is the key number, I'm pretty sure building 25/25 won't boost your score). You can also conquer large population states to add soldiers, this is probably the easiest way (consider grabbing something like Zulu). I also believe that techs which make your army more powerful (though perhaps it's just techs which make your army more expensive, i.e. all those +5% supply cost inventions) boost the MIL score. Same with navy, but they don't add as much. The benefit of navy is that you often have extra money, but just the one NF.

Finally, you could go to war (which inflates your MIL score due to higher supply spending iirc), accept a peace deal while paused, and execute the decision to Westernize before restarting. I'd rate this a 3.0 on the Gamey=1 Exploit=10 scale, though others may disagree.

If you sink a fleet of transports carrying troops, are the troops lost, and is that reflected in the warscore?

Yes, the troops will die, but no, it isn't reflected in the warscore, which will always be +0.1 for naval battles.

The troops are lost but it's not reflected in the war score.

Edit: Damn too slow. <.<

They seem to only be lost if not actively unloading. Fighting a naval battle with a group of ships conducting an amphibious assault and sinking transports will not decrease the amount of troops that land. One could argue either way that this is an accurate portrayal.

I've noticed if I DOW China, GPs that are friendly to China, but not allied to China, DOW me. When I am friends with China, but not allied, and someone DOW China how do I join in on Chinas side?

I've noticed if I DOW China, GPs that are friendly to China, but not allied to China, DOW me. When I am friends with China, but not allied, and someone DOW China how do I join in on Chinas side?

It's called "intervening". If you look at the diplomacy screen, on the wars tab, on each end of the wars is a greyed-out [+] sign. It'll go yellow when you are able to intervene (friendly status toward the defender), then you can click on it, and join the war.

How can I make POPs more liberal? Does consciousness or militancy play any role in that?

MIL might. If your RP isn't liberal, and people get mad enough, they'll shift to another ideology (other than the RP). I'm not at all sure what effect CON has on ideology.

How do you change from Presidential Dictatorship to Democracy? I read in a 1.2 AAR that Harassed Parties and Landed Only voting was enough, but I finally managed that under 1.3 and three months later, no "Thaw" (I've triggered the event before, but very late game and did not watch carefully how it happened). Upper house is already appointed, if that matters (though it'd have to be, I suppose).

EDIT - Did a search. "Thaw" is only in the localization, but that points to event 60050, which requires that I pull three triggers:

country_event = {
id = 60050
title = "EVTNAME60050"
desc = "EVTDESC60050"
picture = "Unite"

trigger = {
OR = {
government = proletarian_dictatorship
government = presidential_dictatorship
government = bourgeois_dictatorship
government = fascist_dictatorship
}
AND = {
NOT = {
political_parties = underground_parties [I did this, it's "Harassed"]
vote_franschise = none_voting [I have "Landed Only", which is not nobody]
upper_house_composition = party_appointed [I have "Appointed", which is not ruling party only]
}
}
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 1
}

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA60050"
government = democracy
}
}

"mean_time_to_happen = months = 1" Just means I have to be a bit more patient!

Last edited:
Shared Prestige: do you get the initial 20 if you're the first to it and keep the 20, or do you gradually lose the prestige as others develop the tech/invention?

Shared Prestige: do you get the initial 20 if you're the first to it and keep the 20, or do you gradually lose the prestige as others develop the tech/invention?

No; it's a one time bonus, so you never lose it. The Shared Prestige affects subsequent nations, who will get slightly less than 20, all the way down to 1.

I would like to know the optimal % for important pops, like clergy, clerks and so on. Is there a list somewhere.

You can mouse-over some stuff in the top bar - ie mousing over the research points will tell you the optimal percentages for Clergymen and Clerks, while mousing over the leadership will tell you the optimal % for Officers.

On a related note, while it's obvious how to increase the number of clergymen (the education slider in Budget), it's not so clear to me how to promote Clerks, other than through the National Focus. Is there a particular tax scheme (reduce Middle Class taxes) or something else that makes more Clerks?

You can mouse-over some stuff in the top bar - ie mousing over the research points will tell you the optimal percentages for Clergymen and Clerks, while mousing over the leadership will tell you the optimal % for Officers.

Yes and no. While the tool-tip for clergy under the RP icon will tell you the optimal percent for RP generation, clergy over 2% will still assist you in educating your populace faster. So it really just depends on what you are wanting to optimize.

I heard from somewhere that 4% gives you fast, but it takes a good long time and i don't want to waste that time only on clergy, so 3% should be good. Yes?
Edit: I should have said, that i meant 3% in a state.

Last edited: