• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing China. It's 1875, and I'm not even halfway to westernization yet. I have 2% clergy nationwide (and I'm still encouraging it with my singular national focus) but the RP is trickling in so slow.. if this is how it's supposed to be it feels like China and other uncivs that start with almost 0% literacy are just unfun by design.

Are you sphered? How high is your Con and Mil? Who is in your UH? Reactionaries and Anarcho liberals block progress. High Mil makes Liberals and Conservatives support reform, which lowers the cost of reform.

No, is there anything I can do to get the AI to sphere me?

Both my con and mil are below 1, how do I raise it?

Almost entirely liberals and conservatives in the UH, a few reactionaries.

Raise your relations to 200 with ONE(1) Great power and keep the rest just above 50 (so they can't Generate a CB on you). You don't want to have multiple GPs with 200 relations they will all have the same relations bonus for influencing you. This often ends up meaning they just keep discrediting each other and no one gets an advantage.

Also, if a great power has a boarder with you (None do with The Chinese Empire as your sub states don't count.) You want to pick that GP to have 200 relations with as they will get another bonus for the border.

You need to make it easy for the AI to sphere you and it will.

Increase relations with a GP; that's about all you can do on your hand. To increase MIL, purposefully choose the worst option on events; honestly, although it's gamey, try losing a few wars on purpose. I've never tried to westernize as China, so I don't know how hard it will be.

Raise your relations to 200 with ONE(1) Great power and keep the rest just above 50 (so they can't Generate a CB on you). You don't want to have multiple GPs with 200 relations they will all have the same relations bonus for influencing you. This often ends up meaning they just keep discrediting each other and no one gets an advantage.

Also, if a great power has a boarder with you (None do with The Chinese Empire as your sub states don't count.) You want to pick that GP to have 200 relations with as they will get another bonus for the border.

It's 100 to prevent CBs, not 50. Everything else here is good though.

Click on your icon on the diplomacy page and it will show how much influence each GP has. If it is rising you can speed the process by improving relations. Having a lower number of rank points will speed it also, but I don't recommend that.

Increase relations with a GP; that's about all you can do on your hand. To increase MIL, purposefully choose the worst option on events; honestly, although it's gamey, try losing a few wars on purpose. I've never tried to westernize as China, so I don't know how hard it will be.

Losing a war as China doesn't sound like the easiest thing in the world to be honest. Haha. But alright, I'll try increasing relations with Russia, though I think it's a bit too late to have any fun with this current game (only 40 years left and still not halfway, lol) Maybe I'll try Japan next time, since they have Meiji restoration.

Vicky is hard.

Be wary if it is Russia and they have triggered the Peking Convention - this will give them a core on one of your sub-states and may come knocking for it. One thing the AI is smart about is getting "friendly" but never sphereing you while not letting anyone else get that ranking so to prevent intervention.

Losing a war as China doesn't sound like the easiest thing in the world to be honest. Haha. But alright, I'll try increasing relations with Russia, though I think it's a bit too late to have any fun with this current game (only 40 years left and still not halfway, lol) Maybe I'll try Japan next time, since they have Meiji restoration.

Vicky is hard.

Hard work is a lot of fun - that's why we're here, right?

It's 100 to prevent CBs, not 50. Everything else here is good though.

In AHD to use the generate CB system you need to be below 50.

If you have a CB, like an acquire core, you can declare war 51-99 without getting the militancy penalties etc.

At 100+ declaring war on a "good friend" you take the MIL increase. I think that is the 100 relations thresh hold you are thinking of.

Hard work is a lot of fun - that's why we're here, right?

It's fun when there's actually something involved in it. My strategy with China was to use encourage clergy then just sit in place while my research points accumulated. Not the best idea I've ever had, I'll admit.

Onto a game with Japan, now.

Me and a friend wants to try online, could anyone just give a short tutorial on how to play online?
As in through internet, not a LAN. Thanks.

Edit: He has a House Divide, but I don't. Does this matter?
As he has A House Divided and you do not you won't be able to play together. A House Divided adds a number of features that aren't compatible with your game.

It's fun when there's actually something involved in it. My strategy with China was to use encourage clergy then just sit in place while my research points accumulated. Not the best idea I've ever had, I'll admit.

Onto a game with Japan, now.

And you just got me to try China, lol...unfortunately I need to restart due to a disappearing tooltip (POP-needs satisfaction). Decided to try B-crats first.

And you just got me to try China, lol...unfortunately I need to restart due to a disappearing tooltip (POP-needs satisfaction). Decided to try B-crats first.

Ditto. 1857 and Japan is down to 1 state after a crushing blow in two wars by the mighty Chinese armies. Also did burecrats, but noticed one state taking forever..Clergy has grown to 1.4% without any encouragement thus far and edu slider on full. A whopping 2.68 research points a day. My startegy is to ill treat my people as much as possible and see what happens. With a military score of over 500, I fear noone. Doomstacks ahoy.

Ditto. 1857 and Japan is down to 1 state after a crushing blow in two wars by the mighty Chinese armies. Also did burecrats, but noticed one state taking forever..Clergy has grown to 1.4% without any encouragement thus far and edu slider on full. A whopping 2.68 research points a day. My startegy is to ill treat my people as much as possible and see what happens. With a military score of over 500, I fear noone. Doomstacks ahoy.

Oh. Doing things before westernization. Why didn't I think of that?

Something tells me the province taking forever is full of gainfully "employed" artisans...most of your early-game 'crats and clerics come from demoted artisans who decide it is better to take a government job with steady pay rather than to starve in their own workshop. I don't know that the edu slider has any effect on promotion once it is above 80%. I'm playing AHD, so I don't know that I even could get an army that big by then. I really wish the game could be set up to play multi-player by oneself, because as much as I would love to do such an invasion, I would really want the opponent to have a punter's chance (by making sure myself that the army was fully built up and properly deployed).

Something tells me the province taking forever is full of gainfully "employed" artisans...most of your early-game 'crats and clerics come from demoted artisans who decide it is better to take a government job with steady pay rather than to starve in their own workshop. I don't know that the edu slider has any effect on promotion once it is above 80%. I'm playing AHD, so I don't know that I even could get an army that big by then. I really wish the game could be set up to play multi-player by oneself, because as much as I would love to do such an invasion, I would really want the opponent to have a punter's chance (by making sure myself that the army was fully built up and properly deployed).

spotted, it,was no full f accepted culture. There were wo of those states. Well, I'm sure it will be flooded with accepted chinese in a moment, as Japan will be.

If you declare war on a country, it says that you will loose prestige if we fail to let's say aquire a state. But if the enemy offers white peace, do you still loose the prestige? Or?

If you declare war on a country, it says that you will loose prestige if we fail to let's say aquire a state. But if the enemy offers white peace, do you still loose the prestige? Or?

If you accept white peace, you fail your wargoals. If you are declared war on and manage to get your enemy to accept a white peace, they loose prestige.

Yes. White peace = failing to achieve the wargoal. You'll even lose prestige if you, say, start a war with Acquire State, then add Place in the Sun and Humiliate, and win but only get a colony in the peace treaty (via Place in the Sun).