• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the beginning, the Portuguese colony that includes the Azores is about ready to become a state. Give it a NF for bureaucrats for a couple of months and you can then make it a state & get 10 prestige points, which is quicker & easier than fighting Oman + gives you a bigger prestige cushion so that you can colonize the rest of Mozambique & Sena.

Yeah, but I should have also added that I also demand a concession from Oman as well: Usually Oman Somalia (Mogadishu). This bumps Oman down to less than 5 states so I can Establish a Protectorate against them in my next war.

I'm playing Oldenburg so it's really important for my industrial inscrease.. ATM I can only build factories in 1 single region, so I need more regions to build factories in.
My lack of factories is the only thing holding me back in terms of global rank.
Well thanks for the help, if you got any more tips I'll gladly listen.

Just for a little perspective...it took me five years to make Algeria a state, and I started at 0.36% with a fairly substantial French population already in place. You will have to get people to move to the colonies to begin with; not easy to do if you have a humming economy at home.

I would like to make a new national focus or possibly modify an existing one to increase assimilation rate in a specific province. Is this possible? If so, any help in actually making the code would be appreciated.

What is all the fuss about turning colonies into states, anyways...the LIT will be so low that it will be a long time before they become worthwhile for factories, if ever.

As Russia, no fuss whatsoever.

As a (much) smaller nation, makes a lot of sense. Plus, only states get all those juicy province modifiers which is extremely useful if it's mines. If you lack coal or iron, turning Korea into states can easily quadruple both resources you get from it in the long run.

01. If you have colonial "regions" / states you possess they stay yours. They aren't released.
02. If you are actively in the process of colonizing a region / state and you drop from #16 to #17+ you stop colonizing and lose all your progress.

Portugal, early game, is probably where you might see #2 happen the most. When I play Portugal I wait until I fight Oman and Humiliate them for the Prestige. This bumps me to #12 or so giving me some cushion to get started colonizing. The prestige from colonizing should keep you climbing / secure for awhile.
Thanks for the reminder - I've been meaning to put Oman in the UK sphere or at least "friendly" to see if that will nerf it.

What is the best way to wean your factories off of government subsidies. I have used national focuses to encourage capitalists in my most heavily industrialized states and have tried to keep tariffs only as low as I need, to stay in the black instead of the red, budget wise. I also have an extensive railroad infrastructure that is present in every state to help factories as well as RGOs.

But in spite of this, more often than not, when I take subsidies off of some factories that are in the green, they immediately start losing employees, and drastically lower to the point that sometimes they go all way down into the red.

I'm playing as Ottoman Empire and it's now beginning of twentieth century, if anyone needs to know that in answering my question. Thanks.

What is the best way to wean your factories off of government subsidies. I have used national focuses to encourage capitalists in my most heavily industrialized states and have tried to keep tariffs only as low as I need, to stay in the black instead of the red, budget wise. I also have an extensive railroad infrastructure that is present in every state to help factories as well as RGOs.

But in spite of this, more often than not, when I take subsidies off of some factories that are in the green, they immediately start losing employees, and drastically lower to the point that sometimes they go all way down into the red.

I'm playing as Ottoman Empire and it's now beginning of twentieth century, if anyone needs to know that in answering my question. Thanks.

I've never played the Ottomans, so don't know what kind of government you're dealing with. I've mainly played Japan, Russia, USA, Portugal and mainly have dealt with the Interventionalist economic policy -- wherein I can prioritize factory hiring, reopen factories that the capitalists have bankrupted, close factories down, choose whether to subsidize them or not, and totally destroy factories.

So, anyway, I just let the factories be subsidized by default.

Global and internal market conditions will largely determine if a factory is profitable -- can it manufacture something & pay the factory maintenance & salaries & sell the product for a profit.

Don't bother encouraging capitalists with your rare NF points. Better to encourage clergymen (if you need to increase literacy), or craftsmen and/or clerks. Encourage capitalists by lowering the rich tax rate to 0%.

Availability of raw materials is an important consideration: the more of the materials needed in the production chain that you have in your own internal market (including your spheres) the easier it is to profitably manufacture the end product.

Your nation's prestige is very important in determining if your factories get their fair share of products from the world market, and can sell their finished products on the world market. It sucks to see that you've manufactured a gazillion cases of booze, for example, and nobody will buy from you 'cause you're considered to be too low class. Tariffs as low as you can make them (zero is good) also helps your profit margin considerably.

You're at the beginning of the 20th century you say? Then your global market should be well defined and pretty rubust. By this time, any factory that is consistently in the red should be seriously considered for demolition. Burn a couple of NF points to encourage your capitalists to build something good next time: Refinery, telephone, automobile, aeroplane, barrel, machine parts, electric gear, radio, synthetic oil, luxury clothes, luxury furniture.

I'm Mexico and used my only NF to colonize Colorado. After over a year I went to check on the progress and saw that the USA had also started colonizing Colorado. I didn't even know they could do that, because in a different game, I tried colonizing an empty province that Britain had already started colonizing, and was not allowed to. So how is the USA allowed to steal my colony? Their progress is going faster than mine and they're obviously going to get the state. How do you prevent this? Or if you can't, how do you make your progress go faster?

I'm Mexico and used my only NF to colonize Colorado. After over a year I went to check on the progress and saw that the USA had also started colonizing Colorado. I didn't even know they could do that, because in a different game, I tried colonizing an empty province that Britain had already started colonizing, and was not allowed to. So how is the USA allowed to steal my colony? Their progress is going faster than mine and they're obviously going to get the state. How do you prevent this? Or if you can't, how do you make your progress go faster?

You can make the progress go faster by putting a brigade of troops there. The USA likely has done that, and that's why their progress bar is further along.

You can make the progress go faster by putting a brigade of troops there. The USA likely has done that, and that's why their progress bar is further along.

I read in a few threads that that was the case with vanilla 1.0 but they changed it. I put troops there just in case but don't know if it made a difference. I won the race but then the Americans attacked me and forced me to give it to them anyway...

+2% colonization speed in AHD.

I'd say between 50-100% faster. You can catch up quite far progressed colonization if you have troop and they don't.

What is the best way to wean your factories off of government subsidies.
No tariffs, more taxes. Industry techs (and commerce, those that reduce input need and the last column).
Clerk NF. They improve factory efficiency. Capis reduce input need, but those are super hard to have in any meaningful numbers. Decades of profitable industry makes capis.
Clerks are easier to get - up to 100% factory employment. Hover on infobar tracking NF clerk percentage to see that.

Last edited:
I read in a few threads that that was the case with vanilla 1.0 but they changed it. I put troops there just in case but don't know if it made a difference. I won the race but then the Americans attacked me and forced me to give it to them anyway...

cb speed is increased whilst colonizing the same state. Also, does the US not have cores on it anyway? Automatic CB in that case.

I've never played the Ottomans, so don't know what kind of government you're dealing with. I've mainly played Japan, Russia, USA, Portugal and mainly have dealt with the Interventionalist economic policy -- wherein I can prioritize factory hiring, reopen factories that the capitalists have bankrupted, close factories down, choose whether to subsidize them or not, and totally destroy factories.

So, anyway, I just let the factories be subsidized by default.

Global and internal market conditions will largely determine if a factory is profitable -- can it manufacture something & pay the factory maintenance & salaries & sell the product for a profit.

Don't bother encouraging capitalists with your rare NF points. Better to encourage clergymen (if you need to increase literacy), or craftsmen and/or clerks. Encourage capitalists by lowering the rich tax rate to 0%.

Availability of raw materials is an important consideration: the more of the materials needed in the production chain that you have in your own internal market (including your spheres) the easier it is to profitably manufacture the end product.

Your nation's prestige is very important in determining if your factories get their fair share of products from the world market, and can sell their finished products on the world market. It sucks to see that you've manufactured a gazillion cases of booze, for example, and nobody will buy from you 'cause you're considered to be too low class. Tariffs as low as you can make them (zero is good) also helps your profit margin considerably.

You're at the beginning of the 20th century you say? Then your global market should be well defined and pretty rubust. By this time, any factory that is consistently in the red should be seriously considered for demolition. Burn a couple of NF points to encourage your capitalists to build something good next time: Refinery, telephone, automobile, aeroplane, barrel, machine parts, electric gear, radio, synthetic oil, luxury clothes, luxury furniture.

Okay, thanks for your response. :)

I went back to the game after posting, and did some tinkering with factories, and NFs. Before I read your post, I figured I would try NF capitalists to see if that helps. Also, since I have almost two million in my treasury, I simply went to my factories, and unsubsidized ALL of them. My unemployment skyrocketed, number of people not getting daily needs rose, but I gritted my teeth and stayed through it, convinced that it was a painful, but temporary transition.

Then, I went back to factories and kept all the ones that were doing fine off of subsidies and where there were open job slots or almost empty factories with no unemployed people in those states, I simply destroyed the nearly empty factories.

I'm dong much better budget-wise now. I used to have been going in the red, spending $4,000 or more in factory subsidies everyday. Now I'm only spending about $1,800 and I have a much better budget now, and in the green. :D

Someone somewhere on here mentioned that too much subsidization will lead to an excess glut of craftsmen, and now I find that the number of craftsmen are at the right level. Also, when I had everything subsidized, states and capitalists were constructing factories like they were playing with Legos; WAY too many factories! Now almost all factories that I have are more productive/profitable.

+2% colonization speed in AHD.

I'd say between 50-100% faster. You can catch up quite far progressed colonization if you have troop and they don't.

No tariffs, more taxes. Industry techs (and commerce, those that reduce input need and the last column).
Clerk NF. They improve factory efficiency. Capis reduce input need, but those are super hard to have in any meaningful numbers. Decades of profitable industry makes capis.
Clerks are easier to get - up to 100% factory employment. Hover on infobar tracking NF clerk percentage to see that.

okay, thanks :happy:

Me and a friend wants to try online, could anyone just give a short tutorial on how to play online?
As in through internet, not a LAN. Thanks.

Edit: He has a House Divide, but I don't. Does this matter?

I'm playing China. It's 1875, and I'm not even halfway to westernization yet. I have 2% clergy nationwide (and I'm still encouraging it with my singular national focus) but the RP is trickling in so slow.. if this is how it's supposed to be it feels like China and other uncivs that start with almost 0% literacy are just unfun by design.

I'm playing China. It's 1875, and I'm not even halfway to westernization yet. I have 2% clergy nationwide (and I'm still encouraging it with my singular national focus) but the RP is trickling in so slow.. if this is how it's supposed to be it feels like China and other uncivs that start with almost 0% literacy are just unfun by design.

Have you been sphered yet? That'll be a big help.