• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But.. but.. Ah, damn.
But do you think if I either:
- Went back before the war, and didn't call my allies (concession) would help?
- Went back before the war, and didn't call my allies (conquest) would help?
Not war at all, even though I'm desperate to expand Oldenburg.

I think maybe them refusing to join the war (traitorous, etc.) made them now an ally? and since they are not allied with me they swaw me as an easy target.
Or does this have anything to do with me obtaining other land, and them not liking it?

But.. but.. Ah, damn.
But do you think if I either:
- Went back before the war, and didn't call my allies (concession) would help?
- Went back before the war, and didn't call my allies (conquest) would help?
Not war at all, even though I'm desperate to expand Oldenburg.

I think maybe them refusing to join the war (traitorous, etc.) made them now an ally? and since they are not allied with me they swaw me as an easy target.
Or does this have anything to do with me obtaining other land, and them not liking it?
What struck you is one of the decisions to unite Germany. If Prussia got all provinces with a North German majority under it's control (either by conquering or sphering), it can (and does) enact a decision, resulting in Prussia getting NGF and annexing all that North German culture provinces for free. There are two ways to prohibit this: Either get Great Power yourself or kick Prussia off GP status by war.

So now I must literarly go back almost to the beginning to get enough time to do this? Will it just be best to start again? Argh.. I'll go back to before the concession of Morocco and not call my allies, am I right in saying that if you do, and they decline, you loose that allience?
And then I will just play at a more slow rate closing in on those days, and just hope that they choose not to annex me if that is possible, is it possible that they saw me as a possible country to annex because of me loosing my allience due to declaring a war and calling them and they rejected?
Oh, and do you just think it's worth it to start over? I'm "only" in 1847. I just don't like keep skipping back cause if feels like cheating.
Thanks for all the help so far though, really worth registring at this forum!

Last edited:
So now I must literarly go back almost to the beginning to get enough time to do this? Will it just be best to start again? Argh.. I'll go back to before the concession of Morocco and not call my allies, am I right in saying that if you do, and they decline, you loose that allience?
And then I will just play at a more slow rate closing in on those days, and just hope that they choose not to annex me if that is possible, is it possible that they saw me as a possible country to annex because of me loosing my allience due to declaring a war and calling them and they rejected?
Oh, and do you just think it's worth it to start over? I'm "only" in 1847. I just don't like keep skipping back cause if feels like cheating.
Thanks for all the help so far though, really worth registring at this forum!
That has nothing to do with alliances or wars of you. Without having a bunch of luck combined with superior skill, Prussia will annex you as Oldenburg. The only ways to prohibit this are either becoming GP yourself or to make Prussia loosing her GP status, which is both not quite easy (at least in the time you have till Victoria's coronation).

That has nothing to do with alliances or wars of you. Without having a bunch of luck combined with superior skill, Prussia will annex you as Oldenburg. The only ways to prohibit this are either becoming GP yourself or to make Prussia loosing her GP status, which is both not quite easy (at least in the time you have till Victoria's coronation).
If you can get another nation to knock you out of Prussia's sphere that can buy you time...keep relations low with Prussia and high with anyone that shows interest in influencing you.

Yeah, it's hard but so far I'm ranking up. Hopefully I can get the time to reach Secondary Power and from there ally myself with a different superpower, hopefully Prussia won't declare war on me, but if they do I hope my new ally will help me.
Let's just hope they won't attack me..

I'm considering attacking Austria, which according to the likelyhood of my allies joining in, ranges from impossible to Prussia being the only one at maybe. The point is that if I do this and Prussia goes into a full scale war against Austria, since the other allies declined my call, won't that make Prussia more or less alone?

Yeah, it's hard but so far I'm ranking up. Hopefully I can get the time to reach Secondary Power and from there ally myself with a different superpower, hopefully Prussia won't declare war on me, but if they do I hope my new ally will help me.
Let's just hope they won't attack me..

I'm considering attacking Austria, which according to the likelyhood of my allies joining in, ranges from impossible to Prussia being the only one at maybe. The point is that if I do this and Prussia goes into a full scale war against Austria, since the other allies declined my call, won't that make Prussia more or less alone?
Prussia doesn't dow you. Prussia can enact a decision, which allows them to annex any North German country without a war. All states with a North German majority must be in their sphere, and they must be at peace. If that's true they click that decision and boom you're annexed. They need no war for that. Just get all North German states in their sphere (which usually occurs after the Queen Victoria coronation event, which removes British influence from Hanover). The only three possibilities to remove yourself from their sphere (and therefore prohibit getting annexed) is (1) get GP yourself (Great Powers couldn't get sphered), (2) get some other GP to sphere you (quite impossible in that case) or (3) get your spheremaster (Prussia in that case) to loose their GP status (so they couldn't sphere someone).
Alliances do not help in that case. You must get out of the Prussian sphere, otherwise you'll sooner or later get incorporated to the NGF by Prussia.

Prussia doesn't dow you. Prussia can enact a decision, which allows them to annex any North German country without a war. All states with a North German majority must be in their sphere, and they must be at peace. If that's true they click that decision and boom you're annexed. They need no war for that. Just get all North German states in their sphere (which usually occurs after the Queen Victoria coronation event, which removes British influence from Hanover). The only three possibilities to remove yourself from their sphere (and therefore prohibit getting annexed) is (1) get GP yourself (Great Powers couldn't get sphered), (2) get some other GP to sphere you (quite impossible in that case) or (3) get your spheremaster (Prussia in that case) to loose their GP status (so they couldn't sphere someone).
Alliances do not help in that case. You must get out of the Prussian sphere, otherwise you'll sooner or later get incorporated to the NGF by Prussia.

Ah, alright thanks a lot!
ATM, Me with backup from Prussia tried to take some more regions of Spanish Morocco (they are at war with France so most of their large brigades are in Spanish mainland fighting off a French invasion), so I can get prestige and more people for an army, more export, etc.
I hope this will give me a high boost on the ranking
After this I guess I'll try to get Prussia and Austria to fight also, hopefully if Prussia doesn't loose, at least they are weakened.

Thanks again, and have a great one.

Unemployed Craftsmen & Clerks

As USA, I had been nibbling away at unciv Japan since the get-go. In about 1880 I noticed that the remaining Japan (Edo + Bonin + 1 other province) had just passed the "Industrialization" reform and were getting factories. I even invested in a couple of new Japanese factories & built railroads. Anyway, I decided that I sould annex them as an unciv (Protectorate = 10 max BBs), rather than wait 'til they were westernized where annexing them by Conquest might cost as much as 20-22 BBs.

So, bottom line: I annexed Japan, but now I've got upwards of 15K unemployed craftsmen & clerks in Edo, and a few thousand also in the other two provinces. The factories either weren't built yet when I took over, or don't show up in my factory view. I tried setting a NF in Edo to encourage artisans, but the effect is pretty slow.

Rethinking my decision: I think I should have just let them westernize & sphered them. :ninja:

As USA, I had been nibbling away at unciv Japan since the get-go. In about 1880 I noticed that the remaining Japan (Edo + Bonin + 1 other province) had just passed the "Industrialization" reform and were getting factories. I even invested in a couple of new Japanese factories & built railroads. Anyway, I decided that I sould annex them as an unciv (Protectorate = 10 max BBs), rather than wait 'til they were westernized where annexing them by Conquest might cost as much as 20-22 BBs.

So, bottom line: I annexed Japan, but now I've got upwards of 15K unemployed craftsmen & clerks in Edo, and a few thousand also in the other two provinces. The factories either weren't built yet when I took over, or don't show up in my factory view. I tried setting a NF in Edo to encourage artisans, but the effect is pretty slow.

Rethinking my decision: I think I should have just let them westernize & sphered them. :ninja:

Since they weren't fully westernised yet, they'll be colonies. But it does give an interesting question for sure, what does happen to the factories that unciv build if you annex them, as colonies cannot have factories.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cliff BarneyAs USA, I had been nibbling away at unciv Japan since the get-go. In about 1880 I noticed that the remaining Japan (Edo + Bonin + 1 other province) had just passed the "Industrialization" reform and were getting factories. I even invested in a couple of new Japanese factories & built railroads. Anyway, I decided that I sould annex them as an unciv (Protectorate = 10 max BBs), rather than wait 'til they were westernized where annexing them by Conquest might cost as much as 20-22 BBs.

Since they weren't fully westernised yet, they'll be colonies. But it does give an interesting question for sure, what does happen to the factories that unciv build if you annex them, as colonies cannot have factories.

Same game: I sphered Mexico, built all the Mexican railroads & about 3/4 of their factories. Then -- LOL & Lo & Behold! -- Mexico becomes the #8 GP and starts competing diplomatically for my North & South American spherlings. Plus I have lost the benefit of all the damned industrializing I did for them. So, my decision now (1905) is to take them down one state at a time starting with Chihuahua & Sonora. They won't be a GP much longer.

I know this isn't a quick question / quick answer. I guess I should ask: "Should I do this?" :blink:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cliff BarneyAs USA, I had been nibbling away at unciv Japan since the get-go. In about 1880 I noticed that the remaining Japan (Edo + Bonin + 1 other province) had just passed the "Industrialization" reform and were getting factories. I even invested in a couple of new Japanese factories & built railroads. Anyway, I decided that I sould annex them as an unciv (Protectorate = 10 max BBs), rather than wait 'til they were westernized where annexing them by Conquest might cost as much as 20-22 BBs.

Same game: I sphered Mexico, built all the Mexican railroads & about 3/4 of their factories. Then -- LOL & Lo & Behold! -- Mexico becomes the #8 GP and starts competing diplomatically for my North & South American spherlings. Plus I have lost the benefit of all the damned industrializing I did for them. So, my decision now (1905) is to take them down one state at a time starting with Chihuahua & Sonora. They won't be a GP much longer.

I know this isn't a quick question / quick answer. I guess I should ask: "Should I do this?" :blink:

Nice boost to take over fully industrialised and railroaded regions rather than empty ones. So yes, then lol at them.

Red Troops

Two quick questions:

1. What do you do with red & yellow troops? I use them if I'm in a war, but then delete them after the war so that fresh new troops can be recruited that will reinforce at 100%. About red troops: Some of my newest troops -- armor that are only 1-2 years old -- show up red & yellow. Do they ever go back to normal (yeah, I know it depends on the supporting pops), or is deleting them the sensible thing to do?

2. National Banking Act: Why would anyone choose this decision? I guess a 2% reduction in loan interest might be of interest if you're in debt, but the 2% reduction in tax efficiency seems to more than offset the loan interest benefit.

Colonies Set Adrift??

So you can't colonize unless you're a GP or 2P. What happens when a nation with colonies drops below 2P status? Does it keep it's colonies or are they set free to be recolonized by someone else???