• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Portugal

Is Portugal too easy? Too hard? I haven't seen any Portugal AARs.

I'm playing Portugal now (AHD about 1880), but am seriously thinking of abandoning the game. I am currently the #5 ranked Great Power, and have been as high as #4. But I have realized all along that the Great Power status is probably temporary, since it is mainly based on the prestige points I've collected from colonization.

Have colonized most of Africa & a couple of Pacific Island groups. But I just managed to tick off France by beating them in the race to build the Suez Canal. France DOW'd and wants one of my 4 European states. I find that I'm pretty much powerless to hold them off --- the economy is barely hanging on & I just can't afford to fight a protracted war with a superpower without going bankrupt.

Playing as underdog may be fun for awhile, in a limited sort of way, but I find it much more satisfying to be Prussia or Russia or Japan or USA where I can kick some serious butt & hardly anybody messes with me. :)

Is Portugal too easy? Too hard? I haven't seen any Portugal AARs.

I'm playing Portugal now (AHD about 1880), but am seriously thinking of abandoning the game. I am currently the #5 ranked Great Power, and have been as high as #4. But I have realized all along that the Great Power status is probably temporary, since it is mainly based on the prestige points I've collected from colonization.

Have colonized most of Africa & a couple of Pacific Island groups. But I just managed to tick off France by beating them in the race to build the Suez Canal. France DOW'd and wants one of my 4 European states. I find that I'm pretty much powerless to hold them off --- the economy is barely hanging on & I just can't afford to fight a protracted war with a superpower without going bankrupt.

Playing as underdog may be fun for awhile, in a limited sort of way, but I find it much more satisfying to be Prussia or Russia or Japan or USA where I can kick some serious butt & hardly anybody messes with me. :)

Not every country is meant to be played as a military power. Some good allies would have been useful. You should have a decent enough population size to industrialize significantly, enough resources to feed your factories and sustain a decent sized army able to defend your home turf. Who did you take a province of in Europa? Portugal is an interesting case, much like spain. A sort of empire in decline. Alot going for it if played right, but swimming awfully close to the edge.

Too hard or too easy, not sure. Defeating France in a war however, would be very satisfying wouldn't it?

Not every country is meant to be played as a military power. Some good allies would have been useful. You should have a decent enough population size to industrialize significantly, enough resources to feed your factories and sustain a decent sized army able to defend your home turf. Who did you take a province of in Europa? Portugal is an interesting case, much like spain. A sort of empire in decline. Alot going for it if played right, but swimming awfully close to the edge.

Too hard or too easy, not sure. Defeating France in a war however, would be very satisfying wouldn't it?

My capitalists are industrializing pretty nicely -- all 4 of my mainland states + Hong Kong + Azores + a couple of my former African colonies (now states), but the economy is right out there on the edge: Education & Bureaucracy set to max, Military spending about 50%, Stockpile slider about 30%, Taxes (P/M/R) about 90%/20%/0%. Tariffs normally at 0%, but sometimes have to slide to 25% max. With these settings the daily profit is mostly green (but not a lot).

Allies: I have Egypt, Transvaal, Orange Free State & a couple of others like Brazil that are of no help at all; I have Russia & USA as allies but the cowards backed off when I was DOW'd by France.

I didn't take any European provinces at all. I did take Algeria (which used to be France's sphereling until they revolted). I think what I did to tick off France was to ban their embassy in Egypt while I was trying to win the Suez Canal race.

When France DOW'd they were at 300% military tactics while I was still only at 100% (had been reluctant to research army techs that added 20% each to my army logistics cost) -- quick got it up to 200% before the first big attack came on my home soil. My 15 brigades there -- led by a pretty powerful General -- quickly was overwhelmed by France's 25 brigades, even though I had made a brave defensive stand in a mountainous province. My poor little navy of 8 Men-'O-War was nearly beaten by France's 16 transports (can't remember if they were clippers or steamers). The bulk of my army is scattered around in Africa, and I lack the navy to bring 'em to Portugal (I've got quite a few clippers but very little protection for them). [Yeah, I did move the national stockpile slider all the way to max, slid all other expenses to zero, taxes & tariffs to max in time to maximize military strength prior to the first big hit -- it just wasn't enough].

Yeah, it would be nice to defeat France in war, but it just ain't gonna happen with my 1880's Portugal. I had a hard enough time defeating France in 1850 as Prussia with dozens of allies.

I suppose I could go back & reload a savegame from 4-5 years ago & make different research & military deployment decisions than I did on the first go, but that seems like cheating.

What ways other then national foci can I up my clerk generation?.

Is there a way to default new factories to be unsubsidized other then using laissez faire?.

Is there any way to lower the chance your war justification gets spotted early?.

Last edited:
What ways other then national foci can I up my clerk generation?.

More literacy and lower taxes on poor strata so they have the money to promote
Is there a way to default new factories to be unsubsidized other then using laissez faire?.

No, unfortunately.

Is there any way to lower the chance your war justification gets spotted early?.

No, it's random. You can only affect how long it takes. The less time it takes, less chance to be spotted, in a sense. The chance to be spotted it's still the same but, if the chance is 5% every day, there is less chance to be discovered if it takes 100 days instead of 300 days. Also, it takes into account how much you're done in percentages. So, if you get spotted after 99 days for a wargoal that takes 100 days, you'll get only 0.01% of the total infamy. If you get discovered after 99 days for a war goal that takes 300 days, you'll get 2/3 of the total infamy.

More literacy and lower taxes on poor strata so they have the money to promote

I already had Middle taxes at 0% so the clerks wouldn't demote. I lowered poor taxes to 0% and it made absolutely no difference in the rate of poor POPs promoting to clerks. I watched it for a month. The next month I also lowered tariffs to 0% which also made absolutely no difference. Except, some of the poor POPs started promoting to Aristocrats which I don't want. I've had National Focus on clerks in my largest states for most of the game and researched most of the education and research points discoveries to the detriment of everything else but at the rate it's going, I probably won't reach the recommended 4% clerks in any of those states by the end of the game (it's the 1880s).

I already had Middle taxes at 0% so the clerks wouldn't demote. I lowered poor taxes to 0% and it made absolutely no difference in the rate of poor POPs promoting to clerks. I watched it for a month. The next month I also lowered tariffs to 0% which also made absolutely no difference. Except, some of the poor POPs started promoting to Aristocrats which I don't want. I've had National Focus on clerks in my largest states for most of the game and researched most of the education and research points discoveries to the detriment of everything else but at the rate it's going, I probably won't reach the recommended 4% clerks in any of those states by the end of the game (it's the 1880s).
You want your poor POPs getting their everyday goods, but not too much luxury (otherwise they either stay smug and satisfied or put on airs and become aristocrats)

Is there a way to change the name of the country when it becomes Communist? I know with Fascist dictatorship and the various monarchies you can change the country's name, but with the Communist I think I can only change the party's name not the country.

Is there a way to change the name of the country when it becomes Communist? I know with Fascist dictatorship and the various monarchies you can change the country's name, but with the Communist I think I can only change the party's name not the country.
You can.
In vic2/localisation there are various files, in one of them, there must be something like that:
Code:
USA_proletarian_dictatorship
After that expression is the name of the USA if ruled by communists (exchange USA for any country you want to change the name). Simply alter the names after (you can also replace proletarian_dictatorship with all the other government forms stated in common/governments.txt).

Hey! I'm playing as Oldenburg and when I go to the polticial menu, I can't elect any reactionary party, I can only choose between Liberal and Conservative. I would really like a reactionary party, so does anybody know how, as I want to build factories "manually".
I hope this isn't anything obvious I've missed!

Hey! I'm playing as Oldenburg and when I go to the polticial menu, I can't elect any reactionary party, I can only choose between Liberal and Conservative. I would really like a reactionary party, so does anybody know how, as I want to build factories "manually".
I hope this isn't anything obvious I've missed!

I don't know anything about Oldenburg, but maybe your form of government doesn't allow reactionary parties. Go to the party selection list on poltiics screen, if you can't select reactionary the button where the party name is should be grayed out. Hovering mouse over partys name will tell you why you can't choose it.

There are literally no reactionary party there, I can't seem to find any. Maybe it's something do to with reforms? Or my population?
It says I have reactionaries, I just cant find any reactionary party to select

There are literally no reactionary party there, I can't seem to find any. Maybe it's something do to with reforms? Or my population?
It says I have reactionaries, I just cant find any reactionary party to select
According to the files, the Reactionary Party in Oldenburg forms on 1st January 1872, so before that date it isn't possible to get reactionaries in power there.

Ah, crap. Thanks a lot though.
If that's a real problem for you, you can go to common/countries/Oldenburg.txt and change this:
Code:
party = {
	name = "OLD_reactionary"
	start_date = 1872.1.1
	end_date = 2000.1.1

ideology = reactionary

economic_policy = state_capitalism
	trade_policy = protectionism
	religious_policy = moralism
	citizenship_policy = residency
	war_policy = jingoism
}
into this:
Code:
party = {
	name = "OLD_reactionary"
	start_date = 1836.1.1
	end_date = 2000.1.1

ideology = reactionary

war_policy = jingoism
}

If that's a real problem for you, you can go to common/countries/Oldenburg.txt and change this:
Code:
party = {
	name = "OLD_reactionary"
	start_date = 1872.1.1
	end_date = 2000.1.1

ideology = reactionary

war_policy = jingoism
}
into this:
Code:
party = {
	name = "OLD_reactionary"
	start_date = 1836.1.1
	end_date = 2000.1.1

ideology = reactionary

war_policy = jingoism
}

Will this have any effect in-game? Or that is to say, after I have started the save.
Anyways, you guys are really helpful! So thanks a lot, and have a great one.

Also, I just got concession over two parts of Morocco, and I want to recruit troops from there, but first I want to make it a full part of Oldenburg.
Can anyone please just give me a brief on this? I know this is pretty basic knowledge, but hey.

Edit: I know this has to do with bereucrats, but do I just have to do national focus: incourage beureaocrats, or?

Alright, I'm sorry for the double post, but I'm kinda freaking out, lol.
I just got done after demanding concession in Morocco, which I got. Both regions.
Now, I was sailing home, when I suddenly got alot of ally-proposals from the smaller countries like Bremen, etc. Suddenly the map went grey, I saw like 20 prussian flags at the bottom and suddenly the game ended. "World in 1849" Oldenburg Annexed.

Why, how, what?!
Suddenly Prussia doesn't even want to ally me, even though it says I protect them, and are in their sphere.

Edit: Does it have something to do with me choosing "concession"?
Would it help if I went back to an earlier save and chose to just do a conquest? Idk why, but no matter how good relations I have with Prussia (I tried to increase to 195) they still wont ally me again, even thoug him in their sphere.

If someone would answer to both my posts, I would be really grateful! I'm really unsure of what to do here, and would really apriciate some elaborate help! (or any help whatsoever)

Last edited:
Will this have any effect in-game? Or that is to say, after I have started the save.
Anyways, you guys are really helpful! So thanks a lot, and have a great one.

Also, I just got concession over two parts of Morocco, and I want to recruit troops from there, but first I want to make it a full part of Oldenburg.
Can anyone please just give me a brief on this? I know this is pretty basic knowledge, but hey.

Edit: I know this has to do with bereucrats, but do I just have to do national focus: incourage beureaocrats, or?
1% of the population there must be Bureaucrat and of your primary or accepted culture (North German in that case). Encourage Bureaucrats is OK, however you've to wait till enough of the native assimilated (converted to North German).
Alright, I'm sorry for the double post, but I'm kinda freaking out, lol.
I just got done after demanding concession in Morocco, which I got. Both regions.
Now, I was sailing home, when I suddenly got alot of ally-proposals from the smaller countries like Bremen, etc. Suddenly the map went grey, I saw like 20 prussian flags at the bottom and suddenly the game ended. "World in 1849" Oldenburg Annexed.

Why, how, what?!
Suddenly Prussia doesn't even want to ally me, even though it says I protect them, and are in their sphere.

Edit: Does it have something to do with me choosing "concession"?
Would it help if I went back to an earlier save and chose to just do a conquest? Idk why, but no matter how good relations I have with Prussia (I tried to increase to 195) they still wont ally me again, even thoug him in their sphere.

If someone would answer to both my posts, I would be really grateful! I'm really unsure of what to do here, and would really apriciate some elaborate help! (or any help whatsoever)
Prussia formed the NGF. Playing any North German minor is quite difficult, since Prussia can annex you by decision if they've all North German minors in their sphere.

So what do I do? Should I just start before loosing them as an ally (the concession)? OR would going back and choosing conquest help? Really need some help on this, and thanks for all the answers so far!

So what do I do? Should I just start before loosing them as an ally (the concession)? OR would going back and choosing conquest help? Really need some help on this, and thanks for all the answers so far!
The only way to stay alive as Oldenburg is to provoke an European war pretty early (~1840) in which Prussia gets dismantled. Basically allying with Austria, Russia and France, then start a war with Prussia involving at least two of them (best wargoal is humiliate).