• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the easiest and fastiest way to westernise as China?Do you annex your puppets once you westernise?

Go for education reform first as soon as you can, then try to raise literacy by encouraging clergy nf in your most populous states and save all your research points. After you have accumulated enough, pass all the reforms needed for 100%.

You annex all your substates (Yunnan, Guangxi...) but not puppets (Korea, Tibet)

What is the benefit of accumulating research points rather than just selecting one technology at a time and let it complete gradually?

Reforms decrease in cost drastically with literacy. Choosing a reform may cost 20 000 RP with 5% literacy and 15 000 RP with 15% literacy. Additionally, you're giving time to GP's to sphere you, which brings cost of reforms further down. With around 20% literacy and being sphered, your reforms may cost more than 50% less. So, that's like needing 25 000 RP to westernize instead of 50 000 or 60 000 RP. When you're getting about 4-5 RP per day, that's decades worth of research saved.

Furthermore, your pops get militancy every time you pick a reform and it's relatively difficult to lower militancy as an unciv and may lead to mass revolts potentially. China should have no problems defeating rebels but why risk it.

Reforms decrease in cost drastically with literacy. Choosing a reform may cost 20 000 RP with 5% literacy and 15 000 RP with 15% literacy. Additionally, you're giving time to GP's to sphere you, which brings cost of reforms further down. With around 20% literacy and being sphered, your reforms may cost more than 50% less. So, that's like needing 25 000 RP to westernize instead of 50 000 or 60 000 RP. When you're getting about 4-5 RP per day, that's decades worth of research saved.

Furthermore, your pops get militancy every time you pick a reform and it's relatively difficult to lower militancy as an unciv and may lead to mass revolts potentially. China should have no problems defeating rebels but why risk it.

thanks. Is it similarly beneficial for civilized nations? (aside from the point shierholzer made)

thanks. Is it similarly beneficial for civilized nations? (aside from the point shierholzer made)
Nope. The only possibility to use RP as a civ is to research something (and the base cost of research couldn't be reduced). Just keep in mind, that you're only able to save up to one year worth of research, anything above is wasted (and of course, that only 100 RP could be invested per day, so that even if you save 7000 RP, researching something costing 7000 RP will still take 70 days).

So if you add 'Humiliate' on top of 'Annex', you'll get both? I assume since 'Annex' requires 100 Warscore, adding 'Humiliate' would require another 50 Warscore but you can only get 100 max.

Cool, an unciv defeating the Netherlands...

Take a look when you've occupied all of their provinces. The required bar for annex should've moved to 85%. Then humiliate is 15% more.

When you successfully occupy the area you've added as your target, the required war score is lowered.
Only if you get warscore solely from battles or by occupying other provinces you have to pay "list price".

I seem to have forgotten that you had vanilla V2. Was humiliate and annex cost different then? AHD is 85+15. Add to sphere is 50%.

Consequences of not getting your loans payed back.

What are the consequences of not getting your loans payed back? (when the loantaker goes bankrupt)

I'm playing as the U.S.A. and the Russian empire just went bankrupt taking around 90% of my people's savings (and they saved quite a lot). I was wondering whether this is worth going to war for since that war will cost a lot of my (the government's) money.

I was wondering how I Create a communist/facist goverment. And while we are at it, how do I Change to a monarchy because I want to play a game as America and throw it into a tyrannical state where only the king's word matters.

Does the National Stockpile slider affect only your military, or does it affect anything else? From what I understand the POPs will buy what they need from the global market if they can afford it, but since military is a government expenditure you need to set it at 100% to fund your military... even though there's also a completely different Military Spending slider. So in other words, there are really two military sliders - the National Stockpile slider at the top and the Military Spending slider at the bottom. And you need to set them both at 100% or your military will be worthless in battles. But when my country needs money, I'm going to lower the National Stockpile slider unless somebody tells me it's having negative effects on the economy or something.

Does the National Stockpile slider affect only your military, or does it affect anything else? From what I understand the POPs will buy what they need from the global market if they can afford it, but since military is a government expenditure you need to set it at 100% to fund your military... even though there's also a completely different Military Spending slider. So in other words, there are really two military sliders - the National Stockpile slider at the top and the Military Spending slider at the bottom. And you need to set them both at 100% or your military will be worthless in battles. But when my country needs money, I'm going to lower the National Stockpile slider unless somebody tells me it's having negative effects on the economy or something.
The National Stockpile is essentially supplies for your military AND infrastructure. If you manually (as the state, not your capitalists) build railroads/ports/forts/factories and your National Stockpile is set to 0 none of those orders will be fulfilled. It's important during wartime to set your National Stockpile to 100% or as near as you can because it effects your army and navy supply - if their supply is below 100% it reduces their effectiveness and can even influence the outcomes of battles (NOTE: your National Stockpile, like any aspect of the economy, is effected by the World Market - even if your National Stockpile is at 100% you may not be able to buy all the rifles/artillery/etc. for your troops if the market does not supply enough/you are low on the buying order). You can generally lower your National Stockpile in peacetime but keep in mind you should always have it at least 1% in case you build infrastructure.

As to the Military Slider, that is essentially how much you pay your troops. A higher percentage on the slider will generally encourage more POPs to demote/promote to soldiers/officers, but this depends on a number of factors (conversely, a lower percentage may encourage POPs to promote to other jobs). You do NOT need the Military Slider at 100% for wars - it has no bearing on the supply/morale/organization of your troops. It could, however, help you recoup losses by encouraging POPs to become soldiers. Your "ideal" number for this slider is totally contingent on what you need in the moment - generally however I find 65% is a good number for an expansionist but not necessarily jingoist state. Keep in mind too that if you pay your soldiers too little they may be more likely to join a rebel group.

The National Stockpile is essentially supplies for your military AND infrastructure. If you manually (as the state, not your capitalists) build railroads/ports/forts/factories and your National Stockpile is set to 0 none of those orders will be fulfilled. It's important during wartime to set your National Stockpile to 100% or as near as you can because it effects your army and navy supply - if their supply is below 100% it reduces their effectiveness and can even influence the outcomes of battles (NOTE: your National Stockpile, like any aspect of the economy, is effected by the World Market - even if your National Stockpile is at 100% you may not be able to buy all the rifles/artillery/etc. for your troops if the market does not supply enough/you are low on the buying order). You can generally lower your National Stockpile in peacetime but keep in mind you should always have it at least 1% in case you build infrastructure.

As to the Military Slider, that is essentially how much you pay your troops. A higher percentage on the slider will generally encourage more POPs to demote/promote to soldiers/officers, but this depends on a number of factors (conversely, a lower percentage may encourage POPs to promote to other jobs). You do NOT need the Military Slider at 100% for wars - it has no bearing on the supply/morale/organization of your troops. It could, however, help you recoup losses by encouraging POPs to become soldiers. Your "ideal" number for this slider is totally contingent on what you need in the moment - generally however I find 65% is a good number for an expansionist but not necessarily jingoist state. Keep in mind too that if you pay your soldiers too little they may be more likely to join a rebel group.

So I was right, the National Stockpile doesn't affect the private sector. If I want to build a naval base or a fort I need to fund it. If I want to build troops and ships I need to fund it. If I'm fighting a war I probably need to fund it but not necessarily, if it's a short war against an unciv.

If you have too many POPs as soldiers - I had the military slider at 100% and later realized it was causing too many POPs to sign up for the military - then lower it for a while. But you're saying don't set it to 0% because that's what causes them to join rebel groups. So I guess you have to try and find a balance.

So I was right, the National Stockpile doesn't affect the private sector.
Correct

If you have too many POPs as soldiers - I had the military slider at 100% and later realized it was causing too many POPs to sign up for the military - then lower it for a while. But you're saying don't set it to 0% because that's what causes them to join rebel groups. So I guess you have to try and find a balance.
You could probably safely set it ~50-55% for awhile, maybe even less if you actively want POPs to demote. Just keep an eye on your soldier POPs in your budget screen to figure out if they're getting their needs. You probably want to avoid them getting too many luxury needs as they'll promote to another POP but try to get them their Life Needs or even Everyday Needs. Also, it's always a good idea to do an occasional review of your armies to see if you've got any Jacobins or other rebels in your ranks.

Correct

You could probably safely set it ~50-55% for awhile, maybe even less if you actively want POPs to demote. Just keep an eye on your soldier POPs in your budget screen to figure out if they're getting their needs. You probably want to avoid them getting too many luxury needs as they'll promote to another POP but try to get them their Life Needs or even Everyday Needs. Also, it's always a good idea to do an occasional review of your armies to see if you've got any Jacobins or other rebels in your ranks.

I notice there are a lot of soldiers which belong to the various rebel movements in my games. Soldiers are in the 'poor' category. So if I lower poor taxes, will they stop belonging to those movements? But then that means more of them would be able to afford luxury goods and would promote to some other profession.

Also, which tax policy will create a ton of soldiers? My recruitment map is all grey so if there's a war I'm going to get killed. I raised the Military slider to 100% and set National Focus to encourage soldiers in one of my largest states, but it's barely making a difference in the percentage of soldier POPs.

I notice there are a lot of soldiers which belong to the various rebel movements in my games. Soldiers are in the 'poor' category. So if I lower poor taxes, will they stop belonging to those movements? But then that means more of them would be able to afford luxury goods and would promote to some other profession.

Also, which tax policy will create a ton of soldiers? My recruitment map is all grey so if there's a war I'm going to get killed. I raised the Military slider to 100% and set National Focus to encourage soldiers in one of my largest states, but it's barely making a difference in the percentage of soldier POPs.
It depends, that's why I've sprinkled my replies with words like "generally" and "maybe." Certainly if a soldier POP is not getting its Life Needs it is likelier to join a rebel group. However, it's CON may be high too and you may just be hostage to greater desire for political reform. Keep in mind in this game that sometimes past decisions take some time to have effects on POPs and how they develop desires, etc. If you can keep plurality and CON low for some time you may get lucky and find POPs more desirous of social reforms, thereby allowing you to retain a more controlling state (if that's what you want).

It will take time to increase your soldier POPs. Try to diversify where you recruit soldiers from in order to not put too much of a burden on one state. That way when you suffer casualties your whole army won't be undersupplied for soldiers. Also, depending on who your enemies are you should be able to build up a smaller, high quality standing army supplemented by your mobilized reserves (what's your mobilization pool?). In recent games as Germany I've probably had a standing force of some 10 30,000-men armies (100 brigades). That, in addition to my reserves was more than enough to deal with France or Russia (I loathe mobilizing, if only because it means organizing so many brigades). I've fended off both opponents at the same time with reserves - it's all about how you pick your battles. You're not too far off from that with 70 brigades - just be patient.

Do you have an immediate goal for which you need the soldiers? If you've just recently united Germany you can probably hold off a few years while you consolidate your gains.

It depends, that's why I've sprinkled my replies with words like "generally" and "maybe." Certainly if a soldier POP is not getting its Life Needs it is likelier to join a rebel group. However, it's CON may be high too and you may just be hostage to greater desire for political reform. Keep in mind in this game that sometimes past decisions take some time to have effects on POPs and how they develop desires, etc. If you can keep plurality and CON low for some time you may get lucky and find POPs more desirous of social reforms, thereby allowing you to retain a more controlling state (if that's what you want).

It will take time to increase your soldier POPs. Try to diversify where you recruit soldiers from in order to not put too much of a burden on one state. That way when you suffer casualties your whole army won't be undersupplied for soldiers. Also, depending on who your enemies are you should be able to build up a smaller, high quality standing army supplemented by your mobilized reserves (what's your mobilization pool?). In recent games as Germany I've probably had a standing force of some 10 30,000-men armies (100 brigades). That, in addition to my reserves was more than enough to deal with France or Russia (I loathe mobilizing, if only because it means organizing so many brigades). I've fended off both opponents at the same time with reserves - it's all about how you pick your battles. You're not too far off from that with 70 brigades - just be patient.

Do you have an immediate goal for which you need the soldiers? If you've just recently united Germany you can probably hold off a few years while you consolidate your gains.

Whenever a box pops up giving me a choice between increasing POP militancy or consciousness I've been always choosing consciousness, assuming it's not as bad as militancy. But it seems like they're both bad choices leading to the same result. In my last game as Japan that box must have popped up 100 times, for the same state. In another state a box popped up over and over again which gave me the choice of higher militancy for the whole state or just one of the provinces in that state. The result was their militancy was at 10 the whole game. No matter which choice I would have made, they all would have had over 100 militancy if there was no limit. There's nothing you can do about it apparently.

Yes I'm shifting the soldier focus from state to state but it takes a few months for one unit to become available, and you have to leave the focus on that state for a few years to get the benefit of it. I don't think there's going to be enough time. I'm the USA in this game. I already (1840s) got tricked into a war with Prussia and there's no way I can do anything to them except blockade them so they can't get to me.

I'm no good at Great Power wars. I understand you're supposed to destroy their armies but rarely am able to do it. They always escape and come back at me. You need a ton of troops available to surround them so you can destroy them, but those troops are always busy fighting off attackers and defending territory so it's impossible to get enough in one area so you can surround the enemy. I need to figure out how to get a ton of troops. There's mobilization but it's a mess like you described. In this game, I'm getting like 4 or 5 units available a year, by putting National Focus on soldiers in New York, the most populated state. That isn't going to be enough to take on Mexico and the CSA, forget about the UK...

Question: after you capture a province, do you still have to keep blockading it, or is it irrelevant and you can use your ships elsewhere.