• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just read your infamy question its that little red flag on politics box you should see it right right middle of the box or tab or whatever you want to call it took awhile for myself to find it.

Why does my debt go right back up immediately after I pay it off?
Example: I have debt of £500 and £1000 cash. So I pay off the entire £500 debt, and the next day I'm in debt again for £350 even though I still have around £500 cash. I've done this 5 times in a row but it keeps happening. So apparently you can never pay off your debt.
It's the 1850s. In the 1830s and 1840s I was able to pay off the debt entirely but then this started happening. I don't even know how the debt appeared in the first place - I had a budget surplus and a large cash reserve.

Why does my debt go right back up immediately after I pay it off?
Example: I have debt of £500 and £1000 cash. So I pay off the entire £500 debt, and the next day I'm in debt again for £350 even though I still have around £500 cash. I've done this 5 times in a row but it keeps happening. So apparently you can never pay off your debt.
It's the 1850s. In the 1830s and 1840s I was able to pay off the debt entirely but then this started happening. I don't even know how the debt appeared in the first place - I had a budget surplus and a large cash reserve.
Sometimes the projected balance isn't equal to the real balance. I've seen +£8000, while in reality I had -£1500, so that could be really different.

I just read your infamy question its that little red flag on politics box you should see it right right middle of the box or tab or whatever you want to call it took awhile for myself to find it.

It took me several tries and about 10 minutes to find it. There should be a label above it or something.

Another question: Is it good or bad when you get sphered by a GP? If it's bad, how do you get out of it?

I want to pause the game. So I press the pause button. But the game won't stay paused. I press pause, I wait to see the 2 red pause lines appear, so the game is paused. Then I'm looking at something, trying to understand what I'm looking at, and I notice the game isn't paused.
The space bar toggles the game's pause state. Are you accidentally bumping it?

Another question: Is it good or bad when you get sphered by a GP? If it's bad, how do you get out of it?
It is variously good, bad, or a mixed bag, depending on the exact circumstances. You get out of it by another GP unsphering you, by becoming a Secondary Power and using the "leave sphere" action (which may result in you being at war with the GP whose sphere you just left), or by becoming a GP yourself.

The space bar toggles the game's pause state. Are you accidentally bumping it?

No, I'm not inadvertently touching the space bar. I'll pause the game, go do something else, and come back to see the game running. Yes, I double and triple checked to make sure it was paused. I have never seen this in any other game. It seems to happen mostly when there's military action including revolts. I pause the game to figure out what to do, then I notice the game isn't paused any more. This phenomenon isn't limited to when there's military action occurring but that's when it usually happens. It's not me doing something to unpause it. It's a problem in the game.

It is variously good, bad, or a mixed bag, depending on the exact circumstances. You get out of it by another GP unsphering you, by becoming a Secondary Power and using the "leave sphere" action (which may result in you being at war with the GP whose sphere you just left), or by becoming a GP yourself.

Ok, I don't want to fight a GP but I'm suspicious that it's not a good idea to be sphered. Is there a way to get them to unsphere me before I become a Secondary Power? By lowering relations or something? I can't get into the Secondary rank and stay there because my troops keep rebelling and the Capitalists are completely retarded, they're shutting down factories that were making £40 - £60 a day.

Yes, I see some of them increasing now.

Another question: How do you get countries which have borrowed money from you to pay it back?

You wait for them to go bankcrupt, which usually happens during revolutions and war..then the 'force repayment' event triggers and you go to war. Usually quite pointless, going to war is costly.

Since the government turned Liberal, none of my POPs are filling their life needs. I put taxes and tariffs to 0 but the three pie charts showing the classes are all yellow and red, (some of them were also green and blue when Conservatives and Reactionaries were in power) no difference from when I set high taxes and high tariffs. Only one state has capitalists which have money, so the capitalists in that state keep building factories and then destroying them immediately as they are completed, because there are no craftsmen and clerks available to work in them. None of my poor POPs are promoting to craftsmen or clerks - probably has something to do with them not meeting their life needs, but I don't understand how it works. In the other states, all the capitalists are broke even with zero taxes and tariffs. They might have money if they hadn't destroyed all their factories the day a Liberal government got elected... and all the craftsmen and clerks either turned into different types of POPs or they moved to the one state where the capitalists are constantly building factories.

I don't think this is how the game is supposed to proceed. This economic model doesn't make any sense.

No, I'm not inadvertently touching the space bar. I'll pause the game, go do something else, and come back to see the game running. Yes, I double and triple checked to make sure it was paused. I have never seen this in any other game. It seems to happen mostly when there's military action including revolts. I pause the game to figure out what to do, then I notice the game isn't paused any more. This phenomenon isn't limited to when there's military action occurring but that's when it usually happens. It's not me doing something to unpause it. It's a problem in the game.
Weird. I've never seen this happen. (The auto-pause that occurs when an Event dialog pops up ends as soon as you make a choice, but I've never had a manually-selected pause end without further manual interaction.) If you register your game and post in the Victoria 2 tech support forum, you may be able to get more useful and focused help.

Ok, I don't want to fight a GP but I'm suspicious that it's not a good idea to be sphered. Is there a way to get them to unsphere me before I become a Secondary Power?
Nope.
By lowering relations or something? I can't get into the Secondary rank and stay there because my troops keep rebelling and the Capitalists are completely retarded, they're shutting down factories that were making £40 - £60 a day.
They're not doing it voluntarily. They're doing it because the factories are running out of money and you either turned off subsidies to those factories or have a government with Laissez-Faire industrial policy (which prohibits subsidies).

Out of interest, which country are you playing and which GP did you get sphered by?

Weird. I've never seen this happen. (The auto-pause that occurs when an Event dialog pops up ends as soon as you make a choice, but I've never had a manually-selected pause end without further manual interaction.) If you register your game and post in the Victoria 2 tech support forum, you may be able to get more useful and focused help.

Nope.

They're not doing it voluntarily. They're doing it because the factories are running out of money and you either turned off subsidies to those factories or have a government with Laissez-Faire industrial policy (which prohibits subsidies).

Out of interest, which country are you playing and which GP did you get sphered by?

I'm Chile and the USA sphered me. I would have been approaching GP status by now except for those factories disappearing and half my armies rebelling because they're Jacobins and Anarcho-Liberals. I build armies to get my MP up but they rebel and get destroyed. The Capitalists build factories and immediately destroy them.

They destroyed the factories the day the Liberal Party got elected. I was subsidizing some of the factories but not all of them - it didn't make any difference, they destroyed both subsidized and non-subsidized factories. One of them was making £40 - £60 a day without subsidies so it was clearly profitable. Now they have no money (surprise!), can't earn more (because they don't own any factories - they should have thought of that before destroying them all) and all the craftsmen and clerks disappeared around the same time. Capitalists with money still exist in only one state, and they keep building new factories there but since there aren't enough craftsmen and clerks to fill them, they get destroyed after a day or two. Which is completely retarded. I don't even know if I want to finish this game without installing some patches - hopefully they address these issues.

Not sure if that's wad. However for me the game unpauses everytime I open the detail view of military combat. Maybe, that's the problem here.

Not sure if that's wad. However for me the game unpauses everytime I open the detail view of military combat. Maybe, that's the problem here.

That's one example of it happening but it also happens when I'm looking at other screens. Never had that happen in any other game. When I press 'pause', the game should pause, no exceptions.

I'm Chile and the USA sphered me. I would have been approaching GP status by now except for those factories disappearing and half my armies rebelling because they're Jacobins and Anarcho-Liberals. I build armies to get my MP up but they rebel and get destroyed. The Capitalists build factories and immediately destroy them.

They destroyed the factories the day the Liberal Party got elected. I was subsidizing some of the factories but not all of them - it didn't make any difference, they destroyed both subsidized and non-subsidized factories. One of them was making £40 - £60 a day without subsidies so it was clearly profitable. Now they have no money (surprise!), can't earn more (because they don't own any factories - they should have thought of that before destroying them all) and all the craftsmen and clerks disappeared around the same time. Capitalists with money still exist in only one state, and they keep building new factories there but since there aren't enough craftsmen and clerks to fill them, they get destroyed after a day or two. Which is completely retarded. I don't even know if I want to finish this game without installing some patches - hopefully they address these issues.

Being sphered can cause this. USA is using you to dump some of their products, so your pops buy some stuff from their factories instead of yours. If you can't subsidize your factories, this can lead to many bankruptcies.

USA is especially bad to be sphered by, it's highly industrialized and not so populous so it produces much more than its population needs and any country they sphere get's drowned in their products. Being sphered by UK can actually be beneficial at times - you become a part of their common market, get access to tons of resources you wouldn't normally be able to get your hands on and there's a huge population to buy your goods.

Being sphered can cause this. USA is using you to dump some of their products, so your pops buy some stuff from their factories instead of yours. If you can't subsidize your factories, this can lead to many bankruptcies.

USA is especially bad to be sphered by, it's highly industrialized and not so populous so it produces much more than its population needs and any country they sphere get's drowned in their products. Being sphered by UK can actually be beneficial at times - you become a part of their common market, get access to tons of resources you wouldn't normally be able to get your hands on and there's a huge population to buy your goods.

The Capitalists destroyed their factories the same day as a Liberal government got elected. I can't remember if I had been sphered by the USA before that or afterwards. That + the out of control rebellions got me to upgrade to 1.4, (I had version 1.0) then I continued the game and it worked without a glitch. Now, when a liberal or anarcho-liberal government gets elected, the factories don't get destroyed automatically, and the rebellions happen for a reason, not for no reason.

I did try to leave the USA sphere but that resulted in war. I didn't know what to expect so when they started landing armies of sizes in the 40s and 70s (my armies were under the maximum supply limits ie. 9 or 16, etc.) I accepted a white peace and stayed in their sphere until Chile became a GP itself.

No, I'm not inadvertently touching the space bar. I'll pause the game, go do something else, and come back to see the game running. Yes, I double and triple checked to make sure it was paused. I have never seen this in any other game. It seems to happen mostly when there's military action including revolts. I pause the game to figure out what to do, then I notice the game isn't paused any more. This phenomenon isn't limited to when there's military action occurring but that's when it usually happens. It's not me doing something to unpause it. It's a problem in the game

Theres a bug that can make taking a look at a battle cause an unpause.

That + the out of control rebellions got me to upgrade to 1.4, (I had version 1.0)
Ah, yes. First rule of Paradox games: Always check if there's a patch before starting to play :)

why is it that the Anexation of a primitive or Uncivilized nation costs so much in infamy? I can understand if say the Ottomans tried to anex Austria but why would Great Britian especially get so uppity about me conquering some Indonesian kingdom?