• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
westernizing seems very boring.....what should i do while waiting for more research points?

I'm trying to form Scandinavia as Sweden. Is it enough to make Denmark my puppet or do I have to tear them apart piece by piece? Also, Sweden starts with a terrible economy; what factories would be best to build in order to boost the economy?

This probably was asked before but is there manual for House Divided expansion pack? Can't find it on Steam or on FAQs board on this forum.

EDIT: Disregard that. Found it in Victoria 2 folder. somehow missed it on first look :p

Last edited:
I'm trying to form Scandinavia as Sweden. Is it enough to make Denmark my puppet or do I have to tear them apart piece by piece?
You need to either annex them completely (because you need to own their capital), or become a GP and get them into your sphere of influence.

I'm trying to form Scandinavia as Sweden. Is it enough to make Denmark my puppet or do I have to tear them apart piece by piece? Also, Sweden starts with a terrible economy; what factories would be best to build in order to boost the economy?

None.

Until you a few decades worth of improved tech, factories are a drag on the economy.

You may want to put a couple in place and keep them going with subsidies for a couple of decades because you don't expect to have a party that will allow you to build them in power later, but the way to improve your economy is to tech up as fast as possible.

What's the earliest-date record for PRU->GER in AHD on normal difficulty?

I'd be also interested in how the person in question did it. I've seen 1841 and that's quite a feat.
Well, before AHD the trick to doing Kleindeutschland in 1842 (or Grossdeutschland in 1845) was:

Sphere Denmark, Holstein, and Hannover diplomatically.
Build artillery, because France doesn't.
Brothers' War with Austria to sphere Saxony and the South German minors (you can complete this before 1840).
Unification War with France to take Alsace-Lorraine.

I haven't stress-tested army-rotation abuse in AHD.

Hello! My friend is having issues with his Victoria 2 game (for about two weeks now). It launches perfectly, takes him to the main screen or whatever you'd like, and then when he clicks on Single Player it crashes and takes him back to his desktop, asking him to close his game. He can open Multiplayer, Options, the Tutorial, etc., but every time he opens Single Player it crashes. He has tried to re-install it, but when he tries to uninstall it fails and cancels. I was wondering if anyone had any friendly suggestions? Thanks

Hello, everybody. I was wondering if anyone had modded in a cb to install democracy in another country, like the install communism one that was added in AHD. Thanks in advance.

I'd also be interested in this change, would be nice to force Democracy to the Communist Vietnam in my current game.

Here's the code for the CB.

Code:
# Install Communist Government
install_communist_gov_cb = {
	sprite_index = 12
	is_triggered_only = yes
	months = 12

badboy_factor = 1
	prestige_factor = 1
	peace_cost_factor = 1
	penalty_factor = 1

break_truce_prestige_factor = 1
	break_truce_infamy_factor = 1
	break_truce_militancy_factor = 1
	truce_months = 0

good_relation_prestige_factor = 1
	good_relation_infamy_factor = 1
	good_relation_militancy_factor = 1

can_use = {
		THIS = {
			# If actor is a great power
			is_greater_power = yes

# If actor gov truly communist
			government = proletarian_dictatorship

# If actor ruling party is communist
			ruling_party_ideology = communist
		}

AND = {
			# If reciever ruling party is not a communist
			#NOT = {
			#	ruling_party_ideology = communist
			#}

# There are some amount of communist already in the country
			communist = 0.1

# If reciever current gov is not proletarian_dictatorship
			NOT = {
				government = proletarian_dictatorship
			}

# If reciever is not a great power
			is_greater_power = no
		}
	}

po_install_communist_gov_type = yes

war_name = WAR_NAME

on_add = {
		move_issue_percentage = { 
			from = jingoism 
			to = pro_military
			value = 0.25
		}
	}

Seems like it would be straightforward; just change the references to proletarian_dictatorship to Democracy and ideology to liberal (or conservative or whatever).

Discussed this a bit in the tutorial I'm running (shameless AAR plug! :D), but I wanted to get some other opinions on this point.

How are attack and defense stats compared? Does the attacker always get attack and the defense always get defense, does it alternate, or is attack your damage and defense your HP?

Example: I'm Japan, and have Infantry (5/4) and Cavalry (5/3). If all else is equal, which of the following scenarios is true:

A: If infantry attacks cavalry (5 vs. 3), infantry wins. If cavalry attacks infantry (5 vs. 4), cavalry wins.
B: The attacker gets the advantage every other rounds, by virtue of their superior number.
C: They both do the same amount of damage, but infantry can absorb more punishment.

Honestly, C makes the most sense, especially since I know naval combat works that way, but I wanted to see if I might be mistaken. I know they've played around with it some.

Each side of a battle rolls a ten-sided die on the first day of the battle and every Nth day thereafter. Each day, each side uses its most recent die roll in the following formula:

(your die roll + your Attack) - (opponent's die roll + opponent's Defence)

and then multiplied by a bunch of other stuff to determine how many casualties you inflict and how much Organization you lose.

Each side of a battle rolls a ten-sided die on the first day of the battle and every Nth day thereafter. Each day, each side uses its most recent die roll in the following formula:

(your die roll + your Attack) - (opponent's die roll + opponent's Defence)

and then multiplied by a bunch of other stuff to determine how many casualties you inflict and how much Organization you lose.

Would it use the defense values if I were defending, I assume?

Would it use the defense values if I were defending, I assume?
It's always (your die roll + your attack) - (opponent's die roll + opponent's Defence). Some technology-derived bonuses to Defence (machine guns!) only apply when you're the defending force, however.

It's always (your die roll + your attack) - (opponent's die roll + opponent's Defence). Some technology-derived bonuses to Defence (machine guns!) only apply when you're the defending force, however.

I see; so it would also be (opponent's die roll + opponent's attack) - (my die roll + my attack) at the same time?

BRING THEM HOME

Evening chaps,

I just fought a very successful war on the continent but I'm having trouble (now that peace is declared) of bringing my armies back home to England. I can't dock my transportfleets into a neutral port and have no continent ports. Is the only way through an Ally who has granted military access?

I'd be grateful for any help.

James, Duke of York