• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've just bought AHD after deciding to get back into Victoria 2 a bit, and I think I'm going to do a USA 1861 game. I have one question though: What kind of units should I be recruiting for different uses? What is the difference between the different cavalry types?
They have either higher recon, attack or defence. High recon is compensated by lower a/d and the other way around.
Difference is not very apparent, so I don't bother thinking about different uses. The amount of cav in effective army build is in any case very low (~2).
Engineers are almost completely worthless. Don't bother. Just Xinf/Xart+2cav with extra inf or two. Then guards instead of inf when you can get and afford them.

Good use of generals and terrain is important. Also getting local superiority. Defend preference instead of attack. Exact composition of forces is less important.

On the same note, my friend told me that APD was messed up and the vanilla AHD is better, but that was several months ago. Is this still true? It might be better to ask in the mod subforum, but is APD currently an improvement over the base game, and as I haven't even fired up APD yet, are the units the same? I know that in vanilla PDM engineers are removed and mobile artillery and regulars are added. Do the same concepts apply for APD units regarding cavalry?

On the same note, my friend told me that APD was messed up and the vanilla AHD is better, but that was several months ago. Is this still true? It might be better to ask in the mod subforum, but is APD currently an improvement over the base game, and as I haven't even fired up APD yet, are the units the same? I know that in vanilla PDM engineers are removed and mobile artillery and regulars are added. Do the same concepts apply for APD units regarding cavalry?

Engineers are still there. And APD is unimaginably better than vanilla AHD and pretty much always has been.

Engineers are still there. And APD is unimaginably better than vanilla AHD and pretty much always has been.

What is APD?

In the message settings, what is the difference between "interesting" and "other"?

You can set "interesting" countries in your message filters. It's a way to make sure you get the information you want without getting flooded.

Does vertically integrating your factory supply chain in one state affect efficiency at all (or have any effect)? I always like to build, f.e., lumber mills ->furniture->lux. furniture, but I have no idea whether it makes any difference in the game or not.

Does vertically integrating your factory supply chain in one state affect efficiency at all (or have any effect)? I always like to build, f.e., lumber mills ->furniture->lux. furniture, but I have no idea whether it makes any difference in the game or not.

None at all. There are secondary effects from having a lot of industry in one place, but thats to do with the workers not the supply chain. Your furniture factory knows its getting lumber from your home market rather than the world market, but it doesn't make any difference which state its coming from.

I just went through a lengthy war to make the Soviet Union a Dominion of my country, but a year later the country showed up as not in my Dominion any longer. I tried reloading to see if it would work, but when I did I noticed that saves I had made when the Soviet Union was my dominion said that it was not.

What happened? Is this some kind of bug that retroactively edited my saves?

Also, is there any way to edit my save file to make the Soviet Union a dominion again?

I just went through a lengthy war to make the Soviet Union a Dominion of my country, but a year later the country showed up as not in my Dominion any longer. I tried reloading to see if it would work, but when I did I noticed that saves I had made when the Soviet Union was my dominion said that it was not.
Are they, by any chance, regaining GP status once you're no longer sitting on all their provinces destroying their industry score and suppressing their military score?

Idk. I made them my Dominion when they WERE a Great Power (which was weird, since they were ranked 12).
There is a six-month grace period on GP status - a country that drops out of the top 8 gets six months to remedy the situation.

They definitely didn't keep their GP status. But I guess it didn't matter?

So is there a way to edit my save to put them back under my Dominion? I would rather not fight another occupation of them. Shuffling units across half of Russia is tedious at best.

Here's the thing. When you occupied their provinces, they lost their factories (industrial score drops) and their soldiers (military score drops). Then, they lost GP status, which allowed you to puppet them. BUT, when you made peace, they got all their stuff back and almost definitely got enough score to become a GP once again. When they became a GP, they broke free (GPs can't be puppets). Also, puppets are completely useless.

They didn't have factories. They were almost 99% unindustrialized with a small military score (even before we went to war). They also had 0 prestige. They didn't become GP.

Also, it was a dominion. (Or is a Dominion and a Puppet the same thing?)

They're the same thing. And that probably is what happened... the only other way would be for them to get a rebellion, but I'm pretty sure you would've known if that were the case.

Are there any good tips out there for westernizing ASAP? Ive tried a game as Korea but only had around 50% by around the late 1850s, also the reactionary rebels are starting to hurt.

Are there any good tips out there for westernizing ASAP? Ive tried a game as Korea but only had around 50% by around the late 1850s, also the reactionary rebels are starting to hurt.

use
upper house rate bonus.
reactionary faction increase reform requirement point.
conserv ~faction good for military reform
liberal faction good for economic reform.

and try to increase clergymen.
and erase all soldier money.(in AHD, Korea is vassal of china. so no body try to attack you.)

----and plus,

anarchy liberal faction is very harmful for reform.

other ways--

eat japan for increase literacy. :D if they have no alliance..

Last edited: