• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also there is no such thing as just "Italian" culture, it's North and South Italian.

That is most certainly incorrect. "Italian" is a culture group which contains both North and South Italian. How else do you form Italy as a cultural union? However, it is true that you -- for some reason -- can't have them both count towards national focus. Sorry.

1- What exactly is morale? I believe for some reason it is the speed at which organization builds, but I don't know why.
2- The culture tech on the far right (psychology? The one that ends with radios), says it gives a bonus to Reinforce Rate; is this how fast your armies regain strength (numbers of soldiers from their POP), or organization?
3- What are military hospitals? I have seen it get +1 from one of the medicine inventions, but never any reference to it elsewhere
4- (opinion) How do you like your horse armies? Mixed or are the later tech ones better?
5- What factors influence occupation speed? I know recon helps, but do larger armies speed up occupation, do the values of all the units' recon combine or is the largest used?

1- What exactly is morale? I believe for some reason it is the speed at which organization builds, but I don't know why.

that's correct.

2- The culture tech on the far right (psychology? The one that ends with radios), says it gives a bonus to Reinforce Rate; is this how fast your armies regain strength (numbers of soldiers from their POP), or organization?

It's the speed at which armies regain strength.

3- What are military hospitals? I have seen it get +1 from one of the medicine inventions, but never any reference to it elsewhere

They modifier the soldier-to-pop damage; the higher this number is, the fewer members of a POP will die when the attached unit takes damage.

4- (opinion) How do you like your horse armies? Mixed or are the later tech ones better?

Dragoons are the best all-rounders. Currassiers are better for defense. Hussars and Cavalry are basically useless.

5- What factors influence occupation speed? I know recon helps, but do larger armies speed up occupation, do the values of all the units' recon combine or is the largest used?

Recon appears to be more or less it, as far as occupation is concerned. Forts will also slow down occupation.

Ah, Naselus to the rescue again, thanks so much :)

I've done a little bit of testing since I asked the questions, and it seems to me that high recon in high numbers leads to faster occupation, and definitely forts slow it down (I occupied a number of provinces with different force types at the same starting date, by unloading them all from a ship). Therefor in this instance Hussars do have some use, as faster occupiers than any other troop-type besides aeroplanes. With a base recon 1 point higher than cavalry, and 2 points higher than cuirassiers and dragoons, I'm not sure if I would call them useless. In fact, I'd recommend for occupations armies of 3-5 cavalry, hussars, or aeroplanes, depending on your technology; to avoid attrition (which hurts soldier pops) once an enemy army is irrelevant (occupied fighting your large armies, blocked from a region by water/blockade, or completely obliterated).

Is there an argument why this is not as good as I perceive? I only ask because, it seems to me my logic above is correct, but Naselus says hussars are useless so they probably are!

Is there an argument why this is not as good as I perceive? I only ask because, it seems to me my logic above is correct, but Naselus says hussars are useless so they probably are!

'Basically useless' :)

They're no good in a fight, so I generally don't bother with them, myself. They only really appear worthwhile for fast outflanking occupations, and if the enemy has been weaken enough to let them out, you may as well just send 1-2 units of infantry out to occupy everything. It might be a little slower, but they won't attrit in such small numbers anyway and the longer the occupation, the worse your enemy's militancy problems and WE.

Ah, Naselus to the rescue again, thanks so much :)

I've done a little bit of testing since I asked the questions, and it seems to me that high recon in high numbers leads to faster occupation, and definitely forts slow it down (I occupied a number of provinces with different force types at the same starting date, by unloading them all from a ship). Therefor in this instance Hussars do have some use, as faster occupiers than any other troop-type besides aeroplanes. With a base recon 1 point higher than cavalry, and 2 points higher than cuirassiers and dragoons, I'm not sure if I would call them useless. In fact, I'd recommend for occupations armies of 3-5 cavalry, hussars, or aeroplanes, depending on your technology; to avoid attrition (which hurts soldier pops) once an enemy army is irrelevant (occupied fighting your large armies, blocked from a region by water/blockade, or completely obliterated).

I actually agree with you re: hussars; I typically use a small hussar corps because of their quick occupation. Once, as NGF, I was fighting France for Alsace Lorraine, and while our giant infantry armies were fighting, I sent in a corps of Hussars (6 brigades), took Paris, and won the war. Cuirassers ARE worthless, though.

Wonderful! I think I've finally learned what exactly everything is and does in Victoria 2. Thanks so much.

How do forts work? Specifically, if I start occupying a province with a fort, and then get attacked, do I get the benefit of the fort, or does the original owner/attacker?

you get the benifit,

But I am the only Italian great power and the other Italian states were divided between french and austrian spehers of influence, and I could only get to friendly relation with the other Italians......

Another state could have gotten the "Redshirts Enforce Their Demands" event that unifys Italy. But I thought this awarded it to the Italian state with the highest score at the time?

Do tax levels/needs of your current pops affect the immigration of foreign pops?

Are airplane-only-armies viable in combat?(not talking about the cost, only how they will do in combat.)

No, not without infantry involved. They're really weak and fragile in combat, what they provide is a recon bonus (removes enemy's digging-in bonus) and support from the back like artillery

Also they're really good at occupying provinces.

I just bought Victoria 2 and I have a few (maybe dumb) questions:

1) What is "Infamy", and how does it affect my diplomatic relations?
2) After conquering Baden, Hessen, Saxony and East-Hannover as Brunswick I’m basically isolated. Every country refuses my demands for alliances, even if our relations are above 180. I always get the odd "Impossible". Is this caused by Infamy or just because I grew so much within 40 years?
3) Will the value of “Infamy” go down after a while or do I have to do something to achieve this?
4) After my "rush" I can't attack any other country (e.g. Mecklenburg, Oldenburg etc) without getting attacked by one of my neighbors. There’s always one declaring war on me, reason is "Contain Brunswick". After accepting this (My army isn’t strong enough for attacking Prussia, France or Sweden) another one declares war for the same reason, even if my army is completely gone.
5) If I place an army near France, e.g. in Freiburg - does it have an influence on their decisions?

1) You get a higher infamy basically when you declare wars without a valid Casus Belli. You usually get these CBs through an event or a predetermined condition (for example, if you have "cores" in another nation - like the North German Federation wanting Alsace-Lorraine from France). If you don't have a valid CB, but declare war anyway, you'll get infamy. If it's high, it affects your relations with other countries to the point that some might not want to ally with you and will respond negatively to your proposals. If you go over your infamy limit, other countries may declare war against you, to "contain" your unlawful expansion.
2) Probably infamy.
3) It will go down after a while, more if you're at peace. I think there are a few events and such that decrease infamy, but they're rare, so you usually have to wait until it goes down.
4) It's the commonly known "badboy wars", that you get when you go over your infamy limit. They will be able to keep doing it until your infamy goes below the limit. To know what it is, hover your mouse over your infamy icon (the small tattered flag), and you'll see your infamy level and the limit.
5) I honestly have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the AI was slightly influenced by it. I can't confirm anything though.