• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there any way to annex puppet and substates (preferably without war)? In one game I am Mexico and have Guatemala as puppet, and in another I am trying to civilize as China but would want my provinces back from the warlords.

EDIT: Another question. I was as Mexico, a Great Power, attacking China. I was allied with UK at 200 relations, who were also fighting a separate war with China. Our war goals were entirely different. However when China gave up to the UK the latter instantly joined their alliance and started sieging my cities! What the hell? Why would the UK abandon their decades-old alliance and start helping this destitute 3rd world pigsty defend Formosa? Suffice it to say I switched tags to UK and offered myself the war goals I wanted. I had exceeded the required War Score but UK AI obviously didn't give up the Chinese lands I wanted so I had to cheat.. :angry:

Last edited:
Is there any way to annex puppet and substates (preferably without war)? In one game I am Mexico and have Guatemala as puppet, and in another I am trying to civilize as China but would want my provinces back from the warlords.

EDIT: Another question. I was as Mexico, a Great Power, attacking China. I was allied with UK at 200 relations, who were also fighting a separate war with China. Our war goals were entirely different. However when China gave up to the UK the latter instantly joined their alliance and started sieging my cities! What the hell? Why would the UK abandon their decades-old alliance and start helping this destitute 3rd world pigsty defend Formosa? Suffice it to say I switched tags to UK and offered myself the war goals I wanted. I had exceeded the required War Score but UK AI obviously didn't give up the Chinese lands I wanted so I had to cheat.. :angry:

For China, I thought (I've never played China so I can't confirm) there was a decision that lets you annex the substates at some point. However, you can not normally annex puppets, unless it's in the process of forming another country (Germany, Italy) or possibly for Doctrine of Lapse as the UK.

For your China problem as Mexico, it could very well be that the UK had a Friendly status with China, which permitted intervention. Make sure you leave pop ups on for the AI dissolving alliances. It's WAD, in short.

Is there an easy way to annex whole of India as the UK?

Is there a Greater Germany in AHD? I can't see any german cores in Austria, nor any decisions about Greater Germany. Just formed German Empire, btw (all north states+french one+Bavaria).

Is there a Greater Germany in AHD? I can't see any german cores in Austria, nor any decisions about Greater Germany. Just formed German Empire, btw (all north states+french one+Bavaria).

Use any CB to attack Austria and occupy them fully. Wait until they lose their GP status (low prestige & no industry & no military) and then add the 'add to sphere' wargoal. End the war and form Germany. Austria is yours and cored.

Ive SOIed Texas as the U.S. Allied them, and even helped them stave off the Mexican threat why wont they do the statehood decision?

And yes before you ask my relations are 200 with them.

Use any CB to attack Austria and occupy them fully. Wait until they lose their GP status (low prestige & no industry & no military) and then add the 'add to sphere' wargoal. End the war and form Germany. Austria is yours and cored.
Err. Added Austria, nothing happens.
image.png
Edit: Oh, I guess I made a big mistake. Looks like you can only unify Austria and Prussia as Austria.

Last edited:
you must do it BEFORE you form Germany. Keep them in yout sphere and they will eventualy ask for anexation, but they'll likely recover GP status before that.

This. What I said was 'End the war and form Germany'. You can do it afterwards, but it's highly probable that they'll recover their GP status before that happens, just like MrTrT said.

I tend to play small countries, like Columbia and USCA, and I have a problem with industries. I start out rather well, I almost always let Capitalists do the work while I invest in their projects. Starts out fine and well but every time, every damn time around 1860 my industries collapse. They suddenly start needing huge amounts of subsidies and when I stop giving them money they die out leaving tens of thousands unemployed. What's up with that? And always around 1890 my industry comes back to life and I can produce virtually anything. Why is that? Does getting sphered kill my factories or what, I thought I'd have a bit of head start to resource since I'm usually in top 12.

Also, what's up with Artisans? When I industrialize my artisans lose all their money and even at 0% tax they can't afford any of their needs.

I tend to play small countries, like Columbia and USCA, and I have a problem with industries. I start out rather well, I almost always let Capitalists do the work while I invest in their projects. Starts out fine and well but every time, every damn time around 1860 my industries collapse. They suddenly start needing huge amounts of subsidies and when I stop giving them money they die out leaving tens of thousands unemployed. What's up with that? And always around 1890 my industry comes back to life and I can produce virtually anything. Why is that? Does getting sphered kill my factories or what, I thought I'd have a bit of head start to resource since I'm usually in top 12.

Also, what's up with Artisans? When I industrialize my artisans lose all their money and even at 0% tax they can't afford any of their needs.

It is not easy to make a diagnose form the distance. Important is to find out what the reason is. Please, hoover your mouse over the factories (there are 3 different points to get information IIRC) in the factory build screen and report it here. It may be that some goods needed for the factories are not available on the world market.

What about the demand for your produced goods? Do you sell all your produced goods in your home country? Try to cover the demand for your nation and for common market, only. It is difficult to get into competiton with GP nations; if goods are not sold on the world market they are put to the trash can what is bad for your economy, because you do not earn enough to cover the cost for producing goods. Hence your factories have to dismiss workers.

Please reduce tariffs to zero and set the stockpile slider to 100% to avoid getting problems from here.

Yes I am almost always sphered by someone. I tend to pick nations that don't gain GP status until at the turn of the century.

Now I am playing as Brazil.
To be honest I'm not very familiar with how the economy works. Tariffs were at 9% for most time but didn't help when I lowered them to 0%. I know that South America doesn't produce coal so that definitely hampered my industry, and I suppose I industrialized way too quickly (first factories around 1840). However once I got the few Coal provinces in Africa and got my GP status (thus sending the French away) my economy skyrocketed and I could open all factories at huge profit. I guess the country that has Sphered you has priority on your produced goods over your own factories?

I guess a small civilized nation just shouldn't industrialize until the world market can supply small nations as well?

I guess the country that has Sphered you has priority on your produced goods over your own factories?
I guess a small civilized nation just shouldn't industrialize until the world market can supply small nations as well?

Yes. Sphere master gets large majority of all sphered unciv production, little less from civilized country and least from sphered secondary power.
This base share can be raised by making foreign investment (of course applies only to civ countries).

When to industrialize depends on your level of literacy, access to raw goods and your ind/com techs.
If you control a large sphere, you only need to be more competitive than countries in your sphere (applies to common market needs).
If you don't have a sphere, you need to be very prestigious to get raw goods and very competitive to be able to turn a profit in competition against everyone (no common market, only gov. & pop. needs and big ol' world market).