• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok so if i declare war and fulfil a wargoal (spasificly take a core) i take 10 prestige if i do it right? and if i dont i lose 10. so what happens to the nation that accepts or not my offer? If i lose the war will the other nation gain 10 prestige? and if i win the war will it lose 10 prestige?

If you add a wargoal and fulfill it you gain prestige and your opponent loses prestige. If you add a wargoal and you fail it (aka your opponent white peaces out) you just lose prestige. If you add a wargoal, fail it, and your opponent counters with a wargoal and fulfills it then you lose prestige for failing your own goal as well as for allowing your opponent to win theirs while your opponent gains prestige from their counter wargoal.

Can someone tell me what the "Voter Issues" section, in the elections choices screen, represent? I am in the middle of elections, and an election screen popped up concerning trade policies. The "Voter Issues" gives 100% Free Trade and 0% Protectionism; however these numbers correspond to nothing when I look in the Population screen. Actually, people are more in favor to Protectionism than to Free Trade.

Can someone tell me what the "Voter Issues" section, in the elections choices screen, represent? I am in the middle of elections, and an election screen popped up concerning trade policies. The "Voter Issues" gives 100% Free Trade and 0% Protectionism; however these numbers correspond to nothing when I look in the Population screen. Actually, people are more in favor to Protectionism than to Free Trade.

Its a bad graphic because it doesn't take into account all those who don't care either way about the issue. It ought to have a "Don't know/don't care" slice for the pie or be a histogram. Ignore it. 100% might be 1 in a million versus 999,999 who don't care or it might be 1,000,000 all wanting it.

Its a bad graphic because it doesn't take into account all those who don't care either way about the issue. It ought to have a "Don't know/don't care" slice for the pie or be a histogram. Ignore it. 100% might be 1 in a million versus 999,999 who don't care or it might be 1,000,000 all wanting it.

Thanks, but I do not refer to the pie. I refer to the Voter Issues table underneath (sorry I don't have a screen right now). Also, it seems that the percentages are always a multiplication of 16,66666%, like if there are only 6 voters (maybe one for each state? but then again the the election choice concerns always only one state). In every state, voter issues are higher for protectionism than for Free Trade, why Free Trade has 100%? What this 100% means?. In anycase, this table does not make much sense and I always stay in front of the screen like multiple minutes to try to come up with an explanation about this percentages...

This is my main problem with Victoria 2 actually. Too many things are not intuitive in the user interface...

And another question: is there any way to get your population very far above your starting pop if you an old world nation? My economy is booming, my taxation is non-existent, and virtually every single on of my citizens have all of their life needs, daily needs, and luxury needs completely covered... yet people still emigrating at the same rate that people are being born in order to find "opportunity elsewhere." Huh?

Is reform always better? It looks like you always get buffs from pursuing free speech, free elections, etc. What is the disadvantage?

Almost all social reforms are bad. Except health care and OCCASIONALLY education. Political reforms are usually good if they help you get what you want... press for example reduces suppression point generation and make your people want social reforms (the first is bad, the second can be bad or good).

Almost all social reforms are bad. Except health care and OCCASIONALLY education. Political reforms are usually good if they help you get what you want... press for example reduces suppression point generation and make your people want social reforms (the first is bad, the second can be bad or good).

Why is that? Almost all social reforms have "green" modifiers, except for some factory output, in some situations.

Green isn't always good. Which is pretty stupid and misleading, but that's neither here not there. +Factory maintenace and + factory cost aren't good things. And 2% immigrant attraction isn't worth making your factories 5% less productive (thoughput increases the amount of 'work' done each day) or increasing their maintenace cost by 20%. A lot of stuff that's green is bad. Keep that in mind. Health care increases pop. growth a lot, so get it as quickly as possible, but the rest... not unless you're forced to by countless revolts.

What causes allies to seemingly randomly cancel their alliance with you? It seems impossible to keep an alliance with another GP for longer than a decade as they'll just cancel the alliance, despite having perfect relations. I just had a game where I was allied with France, joined them in their war against Prussia, sacrificed thousands of my pops to protect their lands, spent untold amounts of money during the war, and then France decides to just up and cancel the alliance 3 years later. I used to think that this sort of thing was caused by conflicting interests or something, but I've had it happen to me several times in each of my games, even when my infamy is low and I'm not going up against their sphere interests. Not that allies are of any use beyond keeping possible attackers at bay, as they just mess with wargoals and white peace at the most inopportune times.

What causes allies to seemingly randomly cancel their alliance with you? It seems impossible to keep an alliance with another GP for longer than a decade as they'll just cancel the alliance, despite having perfect relations. I just had a game where I was allied with France, joined them in their war against Prussia, sacrificed thousands of my pops to protect their lands, spent untold amounts of money during the war, and then France decides to just up and cancel the alliance 3 years later. I used to think that this sort of thing was caused by conflicting interests or something, but I've had it happen to me several times in each of my games, even when my infamy is low and I'm not going up against their sphere interests. Not that allies are of any use beyond keeping possible attackers at bay, as they just mess with wargoals and white peace at the most inopportune times.

Maybe they thought you did have conflicting interests of some sort. Or maybe that you were weak and they wanted a better ally. It's impossible to tell... the AI is weird.

And another question: is there any way to get your population very far above your starting pop if you an old world nation? My economy is booming, my taxation is non-existent, and virtually every single on of my citizens have all of their life needs, daily needs, and luxury needs completely covered... yet people still emigrating at the same rate that people are being born in order to find "opportunity elsewhere." Huh?

Conquest and colonisation are the ways to get big increases of population. You can only get big increases from immigration if you are an immigrant friendly country in the Americas and the US isn't competing with you (because you are the US or because the AI has messed up).

The exact strategy depends on whether you are playing AHD or not. There are major differences in the causes of emigration between the games, but you can keep emigration to a small fraction of natural growth if you direct your policies appropriately.

I am about to play my first game of Victoria II (I did buy Victoria I but I must confess I never got round to mastering it). When I get a new Paradox game I like to play for the first time on very easy for the first time whilst I learn how it works. Could someone suggest a good nation to start with (I was thinking small so there isn't too much to do) as well as a good objective to begin with.

I am playing vanilla 1.3 (not bought AHD just yet).

Thanks

I am about to play my first game of Victoria II (I did buy Victoria I but I must confess I never got round to mastering it). When I get a new Paradox game I like to play for the first time on very easy for the first time whilst I learn how it works. Could someone suggest a good nation to start with (I was thinking small so there isn't too much to do) as well as a good objective to begin with.

I am playing vanilla 1.3 (not bought AHD just yet).

Thanks

Greece:You are sphered by the U.K,you can set protectorates in Tunis,Algeria and Morroco and you have cores in the O.E. Only draw back is that its hard to set up an industry and you dont have much population but the U.K makes up for it

hello,

Do I need Victoria 2 to be able to play "a house divided"? Currently I dont have the game so I was thinking If it is enough to buy only a house divided!

Thanks

Greece:You are sphered by the U.K,you can set protectorates in Tunis,Algeria and Morroco and you have cores in the O.E. Only draw back is that its hard to set up an industry and you dont have much population but the U.K makes up for it
Greece is a really challenging nation, let alone for a first game!
The tutorial suggests Belgium, my personal learner nations were Sweden and the Netherlands.
I played a Sweden game where I didn't do any warmongering, then played a Netherlands game where I took Belgium at the start, then tried to take Indonesia/SE Asia.