• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You needn't, in this case. After a while in your sphere Baden will quietly ask you to annex it.

Are you saying that if you keep a nation sphered for a long time then it will request annexation? Do you know of any mechanics or specifics concerning this?

Are you saying that if you keep a nation sphered for a long time then it will request annexation? Do you know of any mechanics or specifics concerning this?

Yes, it will only happen if the nation in question has a culture of which the union is your nation. It will happen if, say, you're Russia and have Ukraine in your sphere, as Ukrainian belongs to the East Slavic group of which Russia is the union.

These are vanilla V2 mechanics - I don't know the AHD ones, but Orpon didn't have AHD registered, so I assume he doesn't have it.

Last edited:
I picked up V2 yesterday after having read up on how to play the game over the past week and managed to get through a whole game as Haiti, ending up in 16th place or so, but some things that happened through the game confused me and I'm hoping for some feedback.

1) For the entire game, I was not in anyone's sphere, and influence points from GP's didn't seem to ever go above 50 towards me. This of course made my economy interesting as I didn't have decent access to a lot of stuff. Why did this happen? I assumed that by the time I reached secondary power status, that the GP's would start trying to sphere me, but they just didn't seem interested. Did my friendly status with most of the GP's cause them to cancel eachother out or something?

2) I tried to keep my state administration at 100% in all of my states by focusing on bureaucrats, but it seemed to be a losing battle in my captured Venezuela/Brazilian states. I'd get them to 95%-100%, switch NF somewhere else and a few years later it would be back down to 20-30%. Was this just promoting/demoting at play? Or was the culture difference/rebellion movements a part of it?

3) How does cultural assimilation happen? Despite controlling all of Venezuela, and a decent chunk of Brazil for a long period of the game, their culture never appeared to become accepted, and they were constantly rebelling.

4) Is there a way to diminish/completely get rid of movements once they have get to rebel status? Or am I stuck with them as an issue for the entire game?

Cheers

1) For the entire game, I was not in anyone's sphere, and influence points from GP's didn't seem to ever go above 50 towards me. This of course made my economy interesting as I didn't have decent access to a lot of stuff. Why did this happen? I assumed that by the time I reached secondary power status, that the GP's would start trying to sphere me, but they just didn't seem interested. Did my friendly status with most of the GP's cause them to cancel eachother out or something?

-This is probably due to the resources which you provide (tobacco for most of the game, right?). Your status as a secondary power could reflect strong prestige or military, but I'm pretty sure it's resources that drive sphering. This is why in late-game there is often a struggle for Brazilian rubber, when at the beginning it's usually only France involved in Brazil.

2) I tried to keep my state administration at 100% in all of my states by focusing on bureaucrats, but it seemed to be a losing battle in my captured Venezuela/Brazilian states. I'd get them to 95%-100%, switch NF somewhere else and a few years later it would be back down to 20-30%. Was this just promoting/demoting at play? Or was the culture difference/rebellion movements a part of it?

- I've never seen this so I can't really help you out with this. Usually in places with wrong-culture bureaucrats I don't waste my time, especially as an American nation since their cultures are short-range.

3) How does cultural assimilation happen? Despite controlling all of Venezuela, and a decent chunk of Brazil for a long period of the game, their culture never appeared to become accepted, and they were constantly rebelling.

- Assimilation is other cultures changing to your accepted culture, not your accepted culture extending to other populations (which never happens in the game outside special cases like union nations or Austria-Hungary). Assimilation will never happen if you don't have some of your cultured POPs in the state (I've never had much success as an American country getting the POPs to colonially migrate, this is due to short-range culture again I think)

4) Is there a way to diminish/completely get rid of movements once they have get to rebel status? Or am I stuck with them as an issue for the entire game?

- You can suppress movements sometimes, but not so much. Reducing militancy does reduce rebel recruitment, and I have seen the numbers shrink after passing for reforms for example.

I picked up V2 yesterday after having read up on how to play the game over the past week and managed to get through a whole game as Haiti, ending up in 16th place or so, but some things that happened through the game confused me and I'm hoping for some feedback.

Cheers

1) Probably they were too busy fighting each other over China to bother influencing you. Only the US, or a GP that you acquire a border with, is ever likely to try to sphere Haiti.

2) Only Haitian bureaucrats count towards state administration. You have a massive excess of native bureaucrats by the time you have forced state administration up to 100% and these drive demotion the moment you take the NF off.

3) There is no generic mechanism for making cultures accepted. Unless your country has a pre-scripted event there will be no change in accepted cultures during the game. Assimilation will not happen if there is a core of the culture present. If Brazilians emigrate to Haiti, they will assimilate, but as long as they are in Brazil, they stay Brazilian.

4) Unless you can find a way to drive their MIL down and keep it down, they will stay rebellious for the entire game.

Is there any way to foment Jacobin Rebels in an Italian nation (playing as Two Sicilies) while preventing Garibaldi's Red Shirts from rising? I had a very strong Suffrage Movement but when they hit the 100 radicalism mark they all joined up with Garibaldi! This was around 1842--I cracked down hard on the liberal agitators.

I'm sorry because I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. I have sphered or own all of the core provinces for German Empire as North German Federation but I can't form The German Empire? Have I overlooked anything?

You also need 45 prestige, and to be at peace (and to be a great power, though if you have a sphere I guess you must meet that one already).

I'm sorry because I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. I have sphered or own all of the core provinces for German Empire as North German Federation but I can't form The German Empire? Have I overlooked anything?

Try to hover your mouse over the decision tick box. That shows all requirements you need to meet.

You either may have missed Alsace-Lorraine (taken from France) or Schlesvig-Holstein (Denmark), or may still be at war.

My cement factory has trouble selling all its output despite the fact that global demand exceeds global supply. Can someone explain me why?

how do i colonise, as in how do i increase the available liferating i can colinise - all available spaces are 3o liferating and i only have 15

As long as your colonisable liferating (your 'only 15) is lower than the liferating in available colonies ('all available spaces are 30 liferating') you're good to colonise.

How to colonise: select a coastal or adjecent province in a desired new colonial state. Then go to the National Focus tickbox and choose 'Colonise'. Move some troops in (only 1 brigade @ 3k soldiers will do) to greatly enhance your colonising speed.