• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well whats the easiest way of getting to be a great power? Are you saying i should just go kill egypt or something?

It's certainly difficult. Beat some titchy and/or useless countries in wars (humiliate gets you 25 prestige for 1.6 infamy), but the real points are in the industry. Difficult to get right, though... that's where most of the skill in Victoria 2 is. You need to learn which sort of party you want in power, and which sorts of factories to build (assuming you aren't Laissez-Faire) for maximum industrial score. Luxury stuff is good for points.

and how do i increase pop? can i build farms somehow?

As a European nation, the Two Sicilies won't get any immigration, that will all be to America. With your people leaving, there's one more solution - conquer somewhere with a high population. The Papal States has lots of South Italians, but they're probably in the French sphere.

Some countries were never going to get many people in the timeline. You may want to try and take out some civilised (uncivs will net you colonies; no assimilation there) nations, and wait for assimiliation to work its magic. It will take a long time, though.

Yea the papal states are in france. I try to take Tunis, and then do some other countries, but its hard because its automatically 20 infamy, so i cant go for algiers and stuff too. Im not sure how to do production, very tough, i try and build a small arms factory, then i need cement, but then i need coal, but then i need something else. its like a vicious cycle, lol I JUST WANT TO BUILD TROOPS, NOT SIDEWALKS!

Ok so i have another question. Say im Sicily again, now i took Tunisia and part of Egypt. Only one problem Ottoman Africa is in the way, now i can take that pretty easily. But once i take it all, even if i only want the coast. The war score is only like 5 when i need 26. Now i cant go into real Ottoman territory or my troops will just get murdered. So how can i do this?

Ok, I'm playing as the California Republic. I used 'play as' so I am not a satellite nor a puppet (not even sphered).

I have been ranked 7th in the world for about 10 years and am still sitting as a secondary power. I have more industry and prestiege then the two major powers in the 7th and 8th position...

My question is why the heck can I not get world power status?

You must only have one state/region, California.

That comes into play with world power? I honestly dont think it should considering the akwardness of some states/territories, just look at switzerland its smaller then california by a good bit and is two states. I dunno, its quite frustrating, I really dont get how that comes into play especially since I am trying to play as cultural pacifist nation, basically says 'you are FORCED to attack and take something or else you cant become a world power'

But thats so german minors cant be great powers, and no one region in the game was ever as powerful as the ottoman empire. and yes, a country wouldnt be considered a world power if it didnt have practical military strength.

But thats so german minors cant be great powers, and no one region in the game was ever as powerful as the ottoman empire. and yes, a country wouldnt be considered a world power if it didnt have practical military strength.

I didn't say I dont have soldiers and military tech, Im just a pacifist nation. And no they may not be 'stronger' then the OE but there have definatly been those stronger then two Sicily for example, which is one of the GPs, or Bavaria.

There were no countries that were one in game region even anywhere close to being considered great powers. And you would need to show your military force or no one is going to respect you.

Can anyone provide tips on forming alliances if you're only a secondary power? I'm playing as The Two Sicilies (PDM mod) and I'm trying to form an alliance with both Prussia and France since I imagine myself going to war with Austria at some point. I've maxed relations with both countries but it still says the chance to form an alliance is impossible. Is there anything else I can do?

That comes into play with world power? I honestly dont think it should considering the akwardness of some states/territories, just look at switzerland its smaller then california by a good bit and is two states. I dunno, its quite frustrating, I really dont get how that comes into play especially since I am trying to play as cultural pacifist nation, basically says 'you are FORCED to attack and take something or else you cant become a world power'

Well, arguably colonization can be a pacifist goal, bringing civilization to the uncivilized. Historians today will question whether colonization can ever be pacifist, but this is 1850, and you are California ;)

Can anyone provide tips on forming alliances if you're only a secondary power? I'm playing as The Two Sicilies (PDM mod) and I'm trying to form an alliance with both Prussia and France since I imagine myself going to war with Austria at some point. I've maxed relations with both countries but it still says the chance to form an alliance is impossible. Is there anything else I can do?

Keep your strength up and your infamy down and wait for their current alliance to break up.

I'm trying to buy steel. I see on the trade tab that more is being produced than is being bought. Why am I not getting any??

It's all about prestige. If you're rather low in the pecking order, those above you get access first.

There were no countries that were one in game region even anywhere close to being considered great powers. And you would need to show your military force or no one is going to respect you.

Ok, so you just hit the nail of my issue on the head.

OK the Californian Republic is one state... but it is MASSIVE compared to some others, the whole size of the colonies. Cali is closed to the size of England or Japan but they have MANY MANY small territories yet Cali, since for the US it is a single state, only has one Territory. Now Japan absolutley can become a world power with what they have, and we dont need to speak about England.

The game itself gimps certain nations, Cali is just the perfect example, I CONSTANTLY have mass unemployment because of my skyrocketing population but it takes forever to build factories and I only have the one province.

Also, here is another question. Why, if liberated from Mexico... are my accepted cultures 'Yankee and Dixie'? I have more of a FRENCH population then anything else thanks to immigration. French, Mexican, Native American Minor, Yankee from highest to lowest of my top 4 cultures in my nation.

The states were made that way though partially because of the level of industrialization and population in them, and the accepted cultures I dont really know, you know you can mod all of this really easily though.