• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Out of a savegame i have just noticed that the AI is going into debt heavily. I mean nearly each AI country makes - 1-2K per day and therefor going deep into debt (year is 1839).
As i am always trying to not go into debt i am somehow limiting my possibilities compared to the AI.

So my question is if most of you also go into debt or if its just an AI behaviour?

So my question is if most of you also go into debt or if its just an AI behaviour?
As long as you made good use of your starting funds, debt in the 1830s and 1840s isn't really a problem.

If i am a GP (= Sphear Leader) and producing 100 e.g. lumber and need 80 for factory input. Is it guaranteed that my PoPs are able to purchase all required lumber for the factory?

If i am a GP (= Sphear Leader) and producing 100 e.g. lumber and need 80 for factory input. Is it guaranteed that my PoPs are able to purchase all required lumber for the factory?

If they have enough money (not a given), and you have the highest Prestige of your sphere (likely), then yes.

can i have people to build my naval bases on forts on theire own like they do with railroads?
No.

its just a huge pain.
If you're large enough for it to be a pain, building forts is mostly a way to subsidize the industries that make the relevant materials. And outside of WC-attempts or "colonize the entirety of Micronesia" attempts, I can't see there being many countries for which building naval bases is a pain.

can i have people to build my naval bases on forts on theire own like they do with railroads?

its just a huge pain.
You can make capitalists build forts, naval bases or both.

As stated below it's a bit silly though. However if you want to know how to mod it in (which is fairly easy) see below
Goto your vichy folder
Goto the common subfolder
goto buildings.txt
scroll to the bottom

change:

fort = {
type = fort

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
lumber = 10
cement = 10
explosives = 5
small_arms = 5
artillery = 4
}
time = 1080
visibility = yes
onmap = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes
fort_level = 1
}

naval_base = {
type = naval_base

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
timber = 5
lumber = 5
cement = 10
steel = 10
machine_parts = 0.1
}
time = 1080
naval_capacity = 1
capital = yes
onmap = yes
port = yes
visibility = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes

colonial_range = 50
local_ship_build = -0.10
}

to

fort = {
type = fort

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
lumber = 10
cement = 10
explosives = 5
small_arms = 5
artillery = 4
}
time = 1080
visibility = yes
onmap = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes
fort_level = 1
pop_build_factory = yes
}

naval_base = {
type = naval_base

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
timber = 5
lumber = 5
cement = 10
steel = 10
machine_parts = 0.1
}
time = 1080
naval_capacity = 1
capital = yes
onmap = yes
port = yes
visibility = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes

pop_build_factory = yes
colonial_range = 50
local_ship_build = -0.10
}

Alternatively put this file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TARHMK14
In the victoria 2/common folder and replace the original
If you get a checksum TAKT (after doing that on top of a vanilla latest 1.4 patch version) then it is installed properly

Last edited:
You can make capitalists build forts, naval bases or both.

As stated below it's a bit silly though. However if you want to know how to mod it in (which is fairly easy) see below
Goto your vichy folder
Goto the common subfolder
goto buildings.txt
scroll to the bottom

change:

fort = {
type = fort

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
lumber = 10
cement = 10
explosives = 5
small_arms = 5
artillery = 4
}
time = 1080
visibility = yes
onmap = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes
fort_level = 1
}

naval_base = {
type = naval_base

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
timber = 5
lumber = 5
cement = 10
steel = 10
machine_parts = 0.1
}
time = 1080
naval_capacity = 1
capital = yes
onmap = yes
port = yes
visibility = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes

colonial_range = 50
local_ship_build = -0.10
}

to

fort = {
type = fort

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
lumber = 10
cement = 10
explosives = 5
small_arms = 5
artillery = 4
}
time = 1080
visibility = yes
onmap = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes
fort_level = 1
pop_build_factory = yes
}

naval_base = {
type = naval_base

cost = 0
goods_cost =
{
timber = 5
lumber = 5
cement = 10
steel = 10
machine_parts = 0.1
}
time = 1080
naval_capacity = 1
capital = yes
onmap = yes
port = yes
visibility = yes
max_level = 6
province = yes

pop_build_factory = yes
colonial_range = 50
local_ship_build = -0.10
}

no need to download anything? kinda afraid to screw it up so i did trying to change to 1.4 O:

i was playing as two siciles(realy hard to form italy after your in france SOI and when your a great power u just dont want to mess with them) and france was 5% on a region that i wanted to colonize in africa, i got my forces in and i saw that im gonna finish it about a year and a half before them, but later on when i checked it my date of finishing just kept raising while their's was lowering, at the end i couldnt get past them and give up. how did that happen?

also while i tried to check how many infamy it will get me to conquer sokoto i missclicked and got to 35 infamy, other great powers started containing me like crazy took every troop i had and got me out of greatpowerness. after five years i was shocked to see i could only support five brigades. why?

edit: i got 1.3, couldnt get in to 1.4 threads and download, probably because i didnt register my game

edit: i got 1.3, couldnt get in to 1.4 threads and download, probably because i didnt register my game
You should register your game then.

cant, my cdkey there dont work here
Maybe you should contact your distributer about that then.

Or try a few different combinations. Like I got I and l confused quite a bit while entering my cd key(took me about 30 minutes). Look carefully at O and 0 as well.

Do you think it's an error in the way you entered it, something to do with the key given to you or both?

Are you trying to update to 1.4b? It's not actually released yet - only a beta. When they've finished it they'll release it through the launcher.

If they have enough money (not a given)

shame on me i always forget they need aswell money :=)

BUT just to get it:
My craftsmen/clerks need money to buy he input goods => which money??
And they earn money through selling the produced goods right?

Last edited:
i was playing as two siciles(realy hard to form italy after your in france SOI and when your a great power u just dont want to mess with them) and france was 5% on a region that i wanted to colonize in africa, i got my forces in and i saw that im gonna finish it about a year and a half before them, but later on when i checked it my date of finishing just kept raising while their's was lowering, at the end i couldnt get past them and give up. how did that happen?

also while i tried to check how many infamy it will get me to conquer sokoto i missclicked and got to 35 infamy, other great powers started containing me like crazy took every troop i had and got me out of greatpowerness. after five years i was shocked to see i could only support five brigades. why?

still need answers

still need answers

1) Bad luck. Soldiers in a region you are colonising no longer make a difference post-1.2 (but they forgot to remove the tooltip). It's now only dependent on luck and when you started your colonisation.

2) After you lose a containment war, you lose half your soldiers immediately and can't train any more for... a decent amount of time (Think it's five years. Not sure.).

i know, and after about 6 different country tried to contain me i lost all of them. but after five or more years when i had no more truces i could only support 4 brigades in my huge teritory

All your soldiers died in the containment wars and those that didn't decided that working as a craftsmen was safer.