• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am stymied in producing the more elite units through lack of liquor. I think my trade settings are correct; there just seems to be a global liquor shortage. I have a number of liquor factories, but they can't seem to keep up with the combined demand of my people and drunken new recruits. How best to deal with these kinds of bottlenecks?

Do you have the latest beta? They "fixed it" by giving the government priority over POPs, and it's fine in AHD. Even non AHD patches should make this a thing of the past.

I'm sorry this is going to seem a huge "Point and laugh at this guy" question but I'm just starting as Brazil - 1836 start and can't build any factories... is there anything specific I should be researching? Or politics wise as I also tried a Two Sicilies and compared the two which fromwhat I can see are identical in terms of Govt and I'm sure the only difference is that Brazil is in the New World.

Any help I'd really appreciate it.

It's probably your government. You need a ruling party with State Capitalism or Planned Economy to build factories, otherwise, you have to hope the capitalists are nice (and rich enough) to do it for you.

Ahh was this very thing, thank you for the swift answer... oo while I have you here now I have the ability to build factories, its near 20 years on and my factories hardly make any profit ranging from £0.61 to £3.50 daily and wondered if there was something I'm missing or not doing right.

Ahh was this very thing, thank you for the swift answer... oo while I have you here now I have the ability to build factories, its near 20 years on and my factories hardly make any profit ranging from £0.61 to £3.50 daily and wondered if there was something I'm missing or not doing right.

What kind of factories are they?

Hello,

So I've been playing as Krakow, with the goal of never raising a single regiment but utilizing my SOI allies (once I'm a GP) to do all my fighting for me. It's 1856, and for two years now I've been ranked as 6th....but for some reason there isn't a notification for me becoming a GP, I'm just stuck as a Secondary Power. I've also seen this happen in earlier games with countries like Baden that were ranked highly but #9 stayed as a GP throughout the game. Is there a reason for this? Or is this a bug? Is there a way I can fix this in the save file? Thanks for any help!

Hello,

So I've been playing as Krakow, with the goal of never raising a single regiment but utilizing my SOI allies (once I'm a GP) to do all my fighting for me. It's 1856, and for two years now I've been ranked as 6th....but for some reason there isn't a notification for me becoming a GP, I'm just stuck as a Secondary Power. I've also seen this happen in earlier games with countries like Baden that were ranked highly but #9 stayed as a GP throughout the game. Is there a reason for this? Or is this a bug? Is there a way I can fix this in the save file? Thanks for any help!

One state countries cannot be GPs.

As long as a factory can afford its input and is not firing workers, it is healthy enough. So many factors affect factories. Supply, demand. Tariffs can make certain factories not afford inputs if not subsidized.

Certain factories at certain points of the game can make ridiculous money. Like Luxury Clothes around 1850 if you have access to silk. The demand just sky rockets as guards get built.

You will also notice Wine factories do very well early on, but around 1850 demand for wine drops significantly.

Certain factories have burst demand and may appear to be doing poorly many times. Such as machine parts. Very unstable demand. If you are not subsidizing them it is easily possible to see them start to fire a bunch of workers only to rehire them a few days later.

I wouldn't worry too much about the profit number itself. Hover over the factory and see if, say, X amount of cement is not getting sold... don't build more cement until you see that change.
Or, if you remove subsidies as say a Lassiez-Faire government takes over and certain factories shut down, dont let it bother you. obviously the world doesnt need those factories.
You may be able to keep them open, however, with negative tarrifs.

What kind of factories are they?

In terms of what I'm building, I have a few cement factories as I saw in a Youtube video (admitedly not Brazil) that they are the best to kickstart the economy. I think I have a couple of paper/furnature factories on the way now I have access to Lumber. I was thinking though that because I have a shed-load of fruit/coffee/cotton type provs and no coal or iron that maybe Brazil wasn't the best choice to start off...?

Thank you for the reply too Animosity - makes a lot of sense, maybe I'm just expecting big numbers too soon? Any tips on what are pretty stable money making factories to build? Taking the market into consideration of course.

In terms of what I'm building, I have a few cement factories as I saw in a Youtube video (admitedly not Brazil) that they are the best to kickstart the economy. I think I have a couple of paper/furnature factories on the way now I have access to Lumber. I was thinking though that because I have a shed-load of fruit/coffee/cotton type provs and no coal or iron that maybe Brazil wasn't the best choice to start off...?

Thank you for the reply too Animosity - makes a lot of sense, maybe I'm just expecting big numbers too soon? Any tips on what are pretty stable money making factories to build? Taking the market into consideration of course.

The video you watched was possibly old. In vanilla, Cement used to be quite an overpowered factory. Things have been balanced much more.

Early game general factories I like:
- Wine, excellent until 1850 and you will see notice when it stops becoming so popular. Have other factories ready for the workers to move into by this time.
- Liquor, excellent early on. Somewhat stablizes, but still a great start.
- Glass is a decent factory, but not a big money maker.
- Canned food. Your army will always need lots of it, just make sure you have access to iron.

Specialized factories:
- Luxury clothes, if you have access to Silk. Excellent factory as the demand is quite large. Either have silk or sphere one of the countries that do ( ie/ China, Yunnan, Gxyungzi????)
- Luxury furniture, if you have access to Tropical Wood.
- Steel, if you have iron.
- Steamer Shipyard, if you have steel.

Factories I never build:
- Fabric. Dye is too rare. Unless your UK?
- Paper. For some reason, paper never seems to treat me well.

Other factories not listed here can do very well as well. These are merely the factories I like to build. Pay attention to the supply/demand of the market. Look at your common market and build factories that can easily be supplied by it.
Pay attention to World Market. If you have no Dye in common Market, and Dye demand outweighs supply, avoid factories that use Dye.
Ofcourse, this is all subject to change. Just because small arms are in high demand today, they may not be in 2 years when your factory is done. If you are not Lassiez-Faire, it is okay to build some factories only to close them until a later point. I usually do this with luxury clothes. I build them before I sphere the Silk, then I sphere the Silk. ( :

Also, if you want to just learn the industry, try a rich GP country like Prussia, Austria, France. You have access to most resources and the ability to Sphere what you do not have. This way you can toy with many options and see what factories work, why, and when. Also, as a GP, you can look at the industries of certain countries like Belguim, Netherlands, der Schweiss, and see what is making money for them.

Last edited:
Again I'm in your debt with a hugely detailed and helpful answer. :) Thank you for taking the time to put that together I'll have a crack at it now...

Oh and in my impatience went andbought AHD... :rolleyes: does that change things tradewise all over again?

Again I'm in your debt with a hugely detailed and helpful answer. :) Thank you for taking the time to put that together I'll have a crack at it now...

Oh and in my impatience went andbought AHD... :rolleyes: does that change things tradewise all over again?

Not really. It makes certain factories which were terrible now half decent, and it also nerfs overpowered factories like Cement. AHD is a very nice balance mod.

Is there a way to disable the game from zooming in directly on the cursor's location in A House Divided? I noticed they added the same thing in Crusader Kings II but also put in a checkbox in the options menu which let you turn it off.

how the frick do you force a party change in a democracy?

I have spent the last 20 years in game spamming elections and choosing the direction I wanted for the party I wanted but nothing budges. I promote protectionism CONSTANTLY it never goes past .01%. Same with Residency and everything else. I want the freaking Whigs out of power in the CSA because that is the reason they never win or stay in a game, freaking laize faire!

how the frick do you force a party change in a democracy?

I have spent the last 20 years in game spamming elections and choosing the direction I wanted for the party I wanted but nothing budges. I promote protectionism CONSTANTLY it never goes past .01%. Same with Residency and everything else. I want the freaking Whigs out of power in the CSA because that is the reason they never win or stay in a game, freaking laize faire!

It's a lot easier in AHD, but you have to find which issue is the tipping point and argue against that. Remember: if two parties have the same issue, they'll just vote by ideology.

Do your POPs (or the government) get any cash from investing in a foreign country? Obviously, it's more for political influence and sphere control, but that would be a nice little feature if it didn't already exist.