• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After about 5 attempts, I've finally made progress as Greece, I now have some questions.

1. If I sphere the Ionian Islands, will they petition to join me? Or do I need to go to war with the UK to de-puppet them, then annex?

2. I haven't made any progress against the Ottomans, but I've made GP by mass colonising West Africa. When it comes to tackling them, what should my strategy be? I seem to remember reading there's some event if I take certain cores, and that there was an optimum way to do so, but can't remember where.

3. The wiki seems useless compared to the EUIII one for looking up events, is there a better way than actually looking in the game files?

Hi, after playing for a while and looking around the forums I've seen the Heavenly Kingdom in a fair few screenshots replacing China, I've not seen this happen in-game yet. Is the Taiping Rebellion that forms it part of the vanilla game (and/or AHD) or does this require mods?

1. If I sphere the Ionian Islands, will they petition to join me? Or do I need to go to war with the UK to de-puppet them, then annex?
The UK has a decision that will simply give the islands to you after they research Nationalism and Imperialism. The AI is even more likely to do it after 1865 and if you have good relations with them.

2. I haven't made any progress against the Ottomans, but I've made GP by mass colonising West Africa. When it comes to tackling them, what should my strategy be? I seem to remember reading there's some event if I take certain cores, and that there was an optimum way to do so, but can't remember where.
The only event I can think of is the one that gives you a cores on Istanbul and two other provinces you need to form the Byzantine Empire. None that make the job easier. You'll need other strong military powers to help you.

3. The wiki seems useless compared to the EUIII one for looking up events, is there a better way than actually looking in the game files?
Not that I can think of.

Hi, after playing for a while and looking around the forums I've seen the Heavenly Kingdom in a fair few screenshots replacing China, I've not seen this happen in-game yet. Is the Taiping Rebellion that forms it part of the vanilla game (and/or AHD) or does this require mods?
Paradox did add the Heavenly Kingdom in the 1861 scenario, but no events to create it if you start in the original 1836 scenario. POP Demand Mod does have a chain of events for this.

Additionally: If you don't want to change the mechanics of the game using PDM, the events are also included in the New Nations Mod.

Paradox did add the Heavenly Kingdom in the 1861 scenario, but no events to create it if you start in the original 1836 scenario. POP Demand Mod does have a chain of events for this.

Additionally: If you don't want to change the mechanics of the game using PDM, the events are also included in the New Nations Mod.

Ah, thanks for the help!

The UK has a decision that will simply give the islands to you after they research Nationalism and Imperialism. The AI is even more likely to do it after 1865 and if you have good relations with them.
Oh that's interesting, still hasn't happened to me yet though, and it's now 1893. Reckon they still haven't researched N&I?

After years of sitting looking longingly at the Ottomans, waiting for a diplomatic window to attack them (they were allied with Austria, Russia, UK, Sweden and had France/USA as friendly), they just collapsed to communist rebels. My eyes lit up and I attacked immediately. Both NGF and Austria joined me, so although I have a slightly smaller army than Turkey (50 to 60) I feel victory is highly likely and I need to plan my goals.

Russia sphered them pre-rebellion, so I was thinking I could try to remove their borders with Free People. Good idea? I want to take as many cores as possible, and I'd really like Cyprus too for the main culture POPs.

If I get to 100% victory, which will be my aim, how many goals do you think I could demand?

After about 5 attempts, I've finally made progress as Greece, I now have some questions.

What regions did you take to colonize West Africa? And did you conquer anything else before that?

I've tried a couple games with Greece and never got anywhere.

What regions did you take to colonize West Africa? And did you conquer anything else before that?

I've tried a couple games with Greece and never got anywhere.
Pushed Education/research points techs at first, didn't bother with factories.
I Took Tunisia, then Half of Algeria, then Johore (with the UK helping), then France desphered me from the UK and I had to go alone.
Approximate order from there, Annex Algeria, Most of Morocco, Brunei, Aceh, most of Siam.
Then focussed on getting the colonisation techs. Then went down the west coast of Africa, then headed East inland, avoiding the coastal provinces (making sure I had troops in every territory for 100% of the time I was colonising, had 2 brigades that leapfrogged each other) When I was above the Ivory Coast, Prussia started colonising most of the coast around Cameroon, but I was lucky that they kept moving their focuses and losing the progress. While that was happening I took OPMed Sokoto, then grabbed the other half of Benin. Prussia ended up in a massive war at this point and all their focuses vanished. I moved west along the coast from Benin to Togo, which sealed off the interior.
Then after grabbing the precious Coal provinces (hard to get as Greece!) below Benin, carried on Eastwards from Sokoko until I hit Egypt. Portugal are dominating the Southern half, but I managed to out compete them in a few provinces around the Congo (troops VERY important when competing!). The Ottomans then started colonising the desert between them and Egypt, so I tried to loop around them from Tunisia to seal them off too. Thankfully they went to war with Egypt, France and USA intervened, and they cancelled the attempt too. If you want I can show you a screenshot when I'm home from work, but yeah, this is about my 5th Greek game, and luck has played a part. I got very little infamy taking North Africa. And when I was attacking Algeria, the UK added a goal to annex them, but got bored and white peaced out.

TL/DR Colonising with only 1NF is slow, have troops at all times, makes it about 3 times faster.

Interesting. I usually try to get CB on Portugal and Spain then try to go straight for the Warri then head east. I also take concessions from Sokoto and Oman so then I can colonize East Africa around Somalia. Thanks for the reply. Next time I start up Vicky I will give your strategy consideration but for now I am CK2.

Interesting. I usually try to get CB on Portugal and Spain then try to go straight for the Warri then head east. I also take concessions from Sokoto and Oman so then I can colonize East Africa around Somalia. Thanks for the reply. Next time I start up Vicky I will give your strategy consideration but for now I am CK2.
I usually go East from Oman too, this is the first time I've tried West Africa.

hello, my brother cant patch his vic 2+addon to 2.31.
, he get the error: "Could not find A house Divinded installed"
But it is installed, all patches befor are working.
Plz help me to help my little brother^^

I modded an new colonization national focus, but when I tried to place it an event/notification popped up saying Colonization Aborted. Its not an event from files, its something else. Does anyone know what it is?

Is there any reason to destroy/keep bankrupt factories?
Is there much to gain from using national focus to try and get factory chains? From RGO to finished product.
Do you use manual trade and what for? Do you stockpile resources to build railroads and bases or will the AI buy it on market when you order more buildt?
After colonizing what do you use your focus for as USA?

Is there any reason to destroy/keep bankrupt factories?
Is there much to gain from using national focus to try and get factory chains? From RGO to finished product.
Do you use manual trade and what for? Do you stockpile resources to build railroads and bases or will the AI buy it on market when you order more buildt?
After colonizing what do you use your focus for as USA?

You destroy bankrupt factories to open up space for new ones, but you keep them to employ people quickly.

i play az Japan and since 2 years i am n°7 in the ranking, why don't i get the great power status? (westernized alredy of course, and in the sphere of usa if that matters but if i read the wiki correctly it is not cited)

i play az Japan and since 2 years i am n°7 in the ranking, why don't i get the great power status? (westernized alredy of course, and in the sphere of usa if that matters but if i read the wiki correctly it is not cited)

Are 8 and 9 swapping around? I think there has to be a GP outside the top 8 for 6 months continuously before a GP can get promoted. If the next two down from you are swapping places every month, neither of them qualify to lose their GP status, even though you qualify to gain it.