• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm going to start another Japan game (it was my first country to learn the game), but this time, as I know most of the game mechanics, I'm going to be as much efficient in my moves as possible. Should I NF bureaucrats or clergymen first?

EDIT: I have read THIS post and I now think it's better to NF bureaucrats first, but have another question. Does the percentage of bureaucrats in the country or in the state affect the promotion rate?

Country. Unless you are getting the bureaucrats fast from natural promotion you should NF them first.

Only capital ships count towards MIL.

Nothing for frigates. MoW, then Ironclad, then Dreadnought. You need massive numbers of MoW to get any MIL, ironclads start to get noticeable (0.5to 1 MIL per ship) and dreadnoughts rule (about 20MIL each at top tech).

Thanks for that. Just cant seem to get to the 50 mark. Generals keep dying and as Persia not advanced enough to build ironclads. years seem to be drifting away not quite getting there.

Is there any advantage to upgrading factories when you don't have enough workers to fill the spots? I haven't been, but I recently took some territory from the Ottomans as France, and I noticed they had a level 9 factory with less than 30% max workers. Any reason why they would do this? Highest level factory I have is only level 5 I believe as I simply don't have enough pops to warrant building them up anymore (or so I thought).

Is there any advantage to upgrading factories when you don't have enough workers to fill the spots? I haven't been, but I recently took some territory from the Ottomans as France, and I noticed they had a level 9 factory with less than 30% max workers. Any reason why they would do this? Highest level factory I have is only level 5 I believe as I simply don't have enough pops to warrant building them up anymore (or so I thought).

Not unless you are anticipating a surge of factory workers. Its possible in some places to be getting new craftsmen faster than you can build up your factories. Building them up ahead of time is the only way to have space. Otherwise its not worth it because your clerks are less effective. The Ottomans might have had the workers there at one time and they emigrated. Or it might have been profitable at the 9 level at one time but they couldn't sell enough product so they sacked workers. The AI generally doesn't build until existing factories are pretty much full.

Country. Unless you are getting the bureaucrats fast from natural promotion you should NF them first.

Thanks for your answer. Which way of getting Bureaucrats do you recommend as Japan (40% literacy)? I suppose that when literacy is about 10%, it's better to NF Bureaucrats, but what's the level of literacy when it's no more necessary?

Thanks for your answer. Which way of getting Bureaucrats do you recommend as Japan (40% literacy)? I suppose that when literacy is about 10%, it's better to NF Bureaucrats, but what's the level of literacy when it's no more necessary?

Its the level of bureaucrats. If you have 0.1% bureaucrats, then promotion to everything, including bureaucrats, is ten times slower.

You have to watch how your bureaucrats are changing rather than rely on other indicators. Things like whether you have a supply of coffee can make a big difference. (Farmer promotes to aristocrat who then demotes to bureaucrat due to lack of life goods.)

I wouldn't use NF on any other promotions unless bureaucrats were either at 1% or close and going up anyway despite NF on other professions.

Another Unit Question.

Really enjoying the demo now I know how to keep units supplied. But the manpower strength of some units after losses remained very low. eg Burlington Infantry Regiment stayed with 13 men for long time.
Military budget was high. Burlington had more than 3000 soldier pop (maybe I had another Burlington regiment but could not see it with a quick review of army)
Is this common? and are the only measures military spending and to set a national focus of 'Soldiers' in Burlington?

Did you have your national stockpile at full spending?
No, but individually traded and stockpiled lots of ammo, small arms, cannons and canned food.

Another Unit Question.

Really enjoying the demo now I know how to keep units supplied. But the manpower strength of some units after losses remained very low. eg Burlington Infantry Regiment stayed with 13 men for long time.
Military budget was high. Burlington had more than 3000 soldier pop (maybe I had another Burlington regiment but could not see it with a quick review of army)
Is this common? and are the only measures military spending and to set a national focus of 'Soldiers' in Burlington?

Manpower only comes back on the 1st of each month. The soldiers will turn yellow or red if you don't have enough men in the POP to reinforce at full rate. If you are sitting in an area where you take attrition, they might be dying from attrition as fast as they reinforce.

Manpower only comes back on the 1st of each month. The soldiers will turn yellow or red if you don't have enough men in the POP to reinforce at full rate. If you are sitting in an area where you take attrition, they might be dying from attrition as fast as they reinforce.

That makes sense- both armies had turned red. Was recruiting a bunch of new units too so I wondered whethe that affected it.

So when people get used to the game do units still need to be taken of the line for quite a period sometimes?

What to do

I have a question about mods: what should I do to make the mods work before or after I install them?

I have a question about mods: what should I do to make the mods work before or after I install them?

Most mods will have instructions by the download link. For example, the Modern Day Scenario requires you to delete the map cache and the flag cache.

So, basically delete any caches, k got it

Is there any way to become free if you are playing a puppet or dominion? I want to free Scotland take to take over England (lol) but I am unsure how other than declaring war on the UK as say, France, to free Scotland. Is there a war of Independence option or something I dont see?

How should I organize my military to get the most out of it?

I'm assuming combined arms is the best route, but I'm not sure.

How should I organize my military to get the most out of it?

I'm assuming combined arms is the best route, but I'm not sure.

Yes that is right to defend your own lands. Say you play France invaded by Spain. Best defense is very large armies to fight them IN YOUR OWN LAND. But if you start moving into Spain you want to cut the armies into smaller sizes early on in the game in order to keep them supplied.

Is there a way to check and see how advanced another countries Army is?

Also I annexed this small Asian country (i cant remember it's name), but its region is not showing up in my production/factories list.