• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can't use conquest CB on countries with >1 state. You have to reduce them to one state first with Acquire State.

Pallen: One thing I've found that helps make rebels more successful when they agitate, is to open Victoria2/common/defines.lua in Notepad and modify the amount of militancy that they lose when they rise, and/or when they are defeated. When you open the file it's right near the bottom, and the way it works is essentially self-explanatory.

The way I have it set up is

MIL_TO_JOIN_REBEL = 6, -- Rebels over this will join a faction
MIL_TO_JOIN_RISING = 7, -- Rebels over this will join a general rising
MIL_TO_AUTORISE = 8, -- Rebels over this rise no matter what
REDUCTION_AFTER_RISEING = 1.0, -- After a pop spawns a rebellion, its militancy will be reduced this much
REDUCTION_AFTER_DEFEAT = 1.5, -- After a rebellion is being defeated in combat, its pop militancy will be divided by this number.

The top three modifiers I have decreased each by 1. This makes rebels more likely to form brigades in the first place. The bottom two numbers I have decreased so that when a rebel brigade appears, the militancy of the rising POP only decreases by 1; this makes it so that if the factors which led to their militancy are not addressed they will more quickly rise again. The bottom modifier, reduction after defeat, is a divisor. I think in vanilla it's set to 3, so that after defeat the militancy of the rising POP decreases by 66%. Setting it to 2 would cut their militancy in half. I have it set at 1.5, so it decreases by 25% only.
What I hope I have accomplished (I'm not sure how to test it, it's a broad change) is that nations which are unable to address the causes of their militancy will be dealing with rebellions more often, and if the causes continue it is likely that the risings will grow in strength over time, instead of backing down after one rising. On the other hand, if the causes for militancy are decreasing (war exhaustion decrease, or implementing reforms that they were agitating for) the rebellion will still cool off.

Hope that helps, and if anybody here thinks what I have done is problematic or misguided please let me know!

What are the factors in replenishing manpower (not org) from badly battered armies?
Do forts help?
Being on the province the unit is from?
I have a few armies with 0 men, but are still a "unit"... the little soldier man in the display is white (not yellow or red), so does that mean eventually they will start to regenerate?

One question on national stockpile:
i am buing artillry on stockpile (2000) and as it seems from the budget screen selling as well (countries in sphere?). So is there a place to check if i am makin a profit out of this? Or how can i stop the selling and just build up stockpile.

cheers

CromagnonX: I think supply limit is the factor here, I've observed that units regenerate strength (soldiers) fastest in your own territory, decent in occupied territory, and poorly in enemy territory. When you mouse-over the yellow bar it tells you how many men will be replenished at the end of month, so we can observe if higher supply limit leads to higher regeneration (I'll check next time I'm playing and have a weakened regiment)

Morpheus9: Your own government has priority over domestically produced goods, unless you are under somebody else's sphere (in which case they have priority, then you, then POPs, then world market). If you have stockpile set to 2000 and your supply is less than that, you should be buying it all. What I suspect is happening is you are sitting at 1,999 because each day you buy some to supply your armies/navies, then sell the rest, which is the best you can do. If you want to know if your artillery factory is profitable look at the artillery factory in the production screen. If the factory is making money it means the workers and capitalists related to it are making money and paying taxes. That's the best answer I can give you, not sure if I got your question correctly.

@KPJ: basically yes but i have just started with austrian campaign so still have no factories at all. I am just buying altillery from WM. In the national stockpile - expenses screen(budget screen) i can see what exactly is bought. What i cant really follow is why at same time i seem so sell my stockpile and to whom

What causes POPs to promote/demote? Is it just the money in their wallet?

On the Population Screen (F5), if you select a POP by clicking on its icon, you can get a breakdown of what promotions/demotions are possible. If you hover your mouse over the %, it will give you a breakdown of the factors that influence promotion/demotion.

Example: Farmers/Labourers promote/demote to Craftsmen is there is no work within your country for them (all your RGOs are full) and there is room in at least one of your factories. They tend to promote to Clergy when Education spending is high and their literacy is low.

What are the factors in replenishing manpower (not org) from badly battered armies?
Do forts help?
Being on the province the unit is from?
I have a few armies with 0 men, but are still a "unit"... the little soldier man in the display is white (not yellow or red), so does that mean eventually they will start to regenerate?

As far as I know, forts don't have anything to do with Manpower replacement. Nor does the province of the unit's origin. Make sure your units are NOT taking attrition, which might be killing replacements as fast as they arrive.

As long as the unit icon isn't red or yellow and they aren't taking attrition, the units should get reinforcements.

I'm playing a one state nation, and I'm trying to get immigrants. When I mouse over my state's name under the "population" tab, it says I'm getting about 3000 immigrants a month. But when I look at the provinces themselves I'monly getting 100-300 a month.

Why is there such a difference? What can I do to fix it?

Does Upper House policy follow Voting Rights policy? i.e. if it's based on population or 2-per-state, is that voting population (class and culture restrictions)?

Does it make a difference having 2% Clergy in every province or having like 1% in most states and then 10% in your biggest state? Is it better to spread them out? Same thing with Bureaucrats. Does it matter about state populations or just national? And what does the Admin % per state do? What's the difference between per state admin % and the national % in the budget screen? Cheers!

Does it make a difference having 2% Clergy in every province or having like 1% in most states and then 10% in your biggest state? Is it better to spread them out? Same thing with Bureaucrats. Does it matter about state populations or just national? And what does the Admin % per state do? What's the difference between per state admin % and the national % in the budget screen? Cheers!

Having 2% nationwide provides the most research points which clergy can provide, but research points (and other things) are also effected by literacy, for which the prime number of clergy (fastest literacy gain) is at 4% per province.
Bureaucrats have ideal efficiency at 1% per state (state admin.) and nationwide (admin. efficiency), non-colonial. State administration provides crime-fighting and National Focus efficiency, national admin. efficiency provides tariff and tax efficiency (slider vs. actual). That 1% rises when you institute social reforms such as healthcare.

Having 2% nationwide provides the most research points which clergy can provide, but research points (and other things) are also effected by literacy, for which the prime number of clergy (fastest literacy gain) is at 4% per province.
Bureaucrats have ideal efficiency at 1% per state (state admin.) and nationwide (admin. efficiency), non-colonial. State administration provides crime-fighting and National Focus efficiency, national admin. efficiency provides tariff and tax efficiency (slider vs. actual). That 1% rises when you institute social reforms such as healthcare.

Excellent thankyou! In my last game I had a problem with mass hiring of Bureaucrats, they were 25% of my population and craftsmen were at like 5%. So I put the Admin budget slider down to zero and middle taxes to 100% for several years but the national efficiency was still at 100%. So if I'm not paying my bureaucrats anything, but I still have loads of them and the national admi efficiency is at 100%, does it make any difference to anything? Apart from hopefully getting them demoted. Like when you move the national stockpile down it affects troop supplies, does anything like that happen with admin efficiency? Is there some knock-on effect that I'm missing? Cheers!