• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Hello and welcome back to the Sengoku development diaries. After a two-week break due to holidays and E3 we are back to talk about buildings and province improvments. As For the Motherland is in its final stretch and Sengoku has reached beta stage, both Johan and Besuchov are busy knocking out code today, so the task of writing this diary passed down the chain of command and ended up with me.

In Sengoku every province - or kori as they are called - has a village that can be expanded with eight new buildings, giving mainly bonuses to tax income and your force limit. To build one of these you assign this task to your Master of Ceremonies. This means that you can only build one of these at a time - so choose wisely. These buildings have no upfront cost but instead heavily decrease your tax income during the construction time.

sengoku_villiage.jpg

Every kori also have a castle that can be upgraded with four new castle levels that increase the size of the local levy as well as four defensive upgrades. Building one of these works the same way as for the village except that it is your Master of Arms that gets sent to the province to oversee the construction.

By using your third advisor, the Master of the Guard, you can expand a kori to hold up to four manufactory slots. Once one of these have been unlocked you can chose to construct one of eight powerful buildings with effects ranging from increasing your cavalry shock value to giving you more monthly honor.

The last building category is the religious one. Every kori can house one religious building, either a Shinto shrine, Buddhist temple or a Christian church, each giving a unique bonus. You can decide to build different ones in your koris, but having built enough of one kind will let you officially join that religious faction, giving you further bonuses. Being associated with a faction however doesn't come for free... But more on that later.

sengoku_religious_buildings.jpg

And of course: Christian churches, as well as gun manufactories, can only be built once Japan has come in contact with Europeans...

So stay tuned for next week's diary when we'll talk more about factions.

Last edited:
The religious buildings have a nation-wide effect? So 10 churches will give me 10% extra tax everywhere, and 10 Buddhist temples will give me 10% reinforcement everywhere, do I see that correctly?

The religious buildings have a nation-wide effect? So 10 churches will give me 10% extra tax everywhere, and 10 Buddhist temples will give me 10% reinforcement everywhere, do I see that correctly?

Yes. 10 temples requires you to personally own 10 provinces though and owning more than 5 comes with heavy penalties that will out weight those bonuses ( not that it can't be a valid strategy to have 6 or 7 if you're prepared for it ).

Ok, 8 slots behind the village. Then 4 slots for castle upgrades.
What are the other 4 slots doing behind the castle doing?

Edit, nevermind, I missed the "as well as four defensive upgrade" part

Yes. 10 temples requires you to personally own 10 provinces though and owning more than 5 comes with heavy penalties that will out weight those bonuses ( not that it can't be a valid strategy to have 6 or 7 if you're prepared for it ).

Ah, right. demesne penalty as in CK1. Nice :)

Interesting new way of handling buildings, I like it. We knew about the master of the guard part, but as far as I know not the way its paid for. Is that a percentage decrease in province tax, or an absolute amount? Will a richer province have to pay more, or will a poorer province potentially go revenue-negative?

Interesting new way of handling buildings, I like it. We knew about the master of the guard part, but as far as I know not the way its paid for. Is that a percentage decrease in province tax, or an absolute amount? Will a richer province have to pay more, or will a poorer province potentially go revenue-negative?

It's a percentage decrease.

Building a Shinto Shrine, a Buddhist Temple, and a Christian church all cost the same? Is this for balance purpose or do we assume that all 3 structures are built to be worth that value as an end product. One would think a Shinto Shrine would be way less expensive than the other 2 buildings.

Building a Shinto Shrine, a Buddhist Temple, and a Christian church all cost the same? Is this for balance purpose or do we assume that all 3 structures are built to be worth that value as an end product. One would think a Shinto Shrine would be way less expensive than the other 2 buildings.

Not necessarily. A church can be a pretty straightforward thing, not (overly) expensive. And the larger shrines can probably cost about as much as a mid-sized church, I would say. Now, I don't have exact numbers, of course.

Think of it as supporting a religious faction in the province, not as a single building. You need money for priests, offerings, temples/churches/shrines, lots of stuff.

Looks nice!

Very nice to see how buildings will be handled. I am curious about the limit of building one improvement at a time. I remember the old EU days of deputizing thirty tax collectors at a time. Was that done for game balance or for realism or to stretch provincial development over time? Looking forward to the release.

Very nice to see how buildings will be handled. I am curious about the limit of building one improvement at a time. I remember the old EU days of deputizing thirty tax collectors at a time. Was that done for game balance or for realism or to stretch provincial development over time? Looking forward to the release.

Presumably it's related to the game mechanic where actions of note have to be overseen by an individual character, who occupies an individual role (Master of Ceremonies) and who can't oversee more than one project at a time.

Are the substantial time costs of invensting in infrastructure designed to make you keep your core province the same and hand out caputered land to vassals? Or will it be worth it to keep an eye on highest base tax. On that note will buildings be destroyed on conquest (alla EU3) or kept (alla CK)?

I would be very interested to know how the infamy system will be handled next. Playing CK again, after DV was kindly given away free, has remined me how much better the infamy system has got recently with V2 war goals, and the plethora of interesting CBs in EU3. You've said that your not having CBs as such but how is infamy going to be handled. Or any simmilar balance of power system...

I'd like how to know how many clans there will be with all these koris. 50? 100? Maybe we can get a clan list? ;)

What happens to advisor while he builds buildings? Special events maybe? Expirience gain? ;) Can he still do something else? Do we still have bonuses for daimo from him?

Since your demesne limit is five koris, the limit of one improvment/advisor at a time is manageable.

Are the substantial time costs of invensting in infrastructure designed to make you keep your core province the same and hand out caputered land to vassals? Or will it be worth it to keep an eye on highest base tax. On that note will buildings be destroyed on conquest (alla EU3) or kept (alla CK)?

I would be very interested to know how the infamy system will be handled next. Playing CK again, after DV was kindly given away free, has remined me how much better the infamy system has got recently with V2 war goals, and the plethora of interesting CBs in EU3. You've said that your not having CBs as such but how is infamy going to be handled. Or any simmilar balance of power system...

There's no infmay or CBs. Instead there is honor. It is used as a currency for diplomatic actions, such as declaring war, but it's also important to not let it fall too low as your vassals' opinion of you dependes on it. Falling even further might force you to commit seppuku...

I'd like how to know how many clans there will be with all these koris. 50? 100? Maybe we can get a clan list? ;)

I think I've scripted in somewhere around 200 dynasties, but clans or independent kokujins are about 50-60 if I remember correctly.

What happens to advisor while he builds buildings? Special events maybe? Expirience gain? ;) Can he still do something else? Do we still have bonuses for daimo from him?

There are some events that can happen to you and/or the advisor during advisor missions.

Do you lose/gain honour when concluding peace then? As provinces change hands automatically now, I assume you don't lose honour when you capture a province.

The army information (crests and amounts?) on units is really cool.

I like the new way of paying for buildings. Is this going to be in CK2 as well?