• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(203709)

Recruit
6 Badges
Apr 15, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
Hi,
Im fairly new to Vicky2, but not Paradox games. Im playing my first real game starting as Prussia. I've done a lot of reading or forums & the wiki but still have a few questions I cant find answer for, I think that these may be the quirks of the games but could do with some feedback.
Im using patch version 1.3.

1) Greater germany. Ive read about forming Greater Germany, but don't understand how this would work. When i formed Germany (I was NGF) I had broken Bohemia from Austria and had it in my sphere. However I didn't inherit Bohemia. What is the german wind event, how would it trigger, and what does it do?

2)When i was fighting france for the German cores, Bavaria became a great power and left my spere if influence. I later declared war on Bavaria with assert hegemony and added humiliate to remove their prestige. When i declared peace Bavaria the Great power was in my sphere of influence! I then created Germany. Was this an error, i dont think that i should have had a GP in my sphere. When i reloaded a game they weren't in my sphere which makes me think it was a bug.

3) when I attacked Bohemia the GP i occupied every province they owned and killed all of their unit. I had 100 units (no mobilization) they had none and are land locked so had no ships. My Military score was about 50 and theres was about 30. How can they had a M score of 30 with absolutely no military!!!

4) I was attacking Austria with my 100 brigades. The ledger before war said that Austria had 30 brigades. when i declared war and they mobilized it still said 30, even when i coudl see over 80 on the screen at once. Is the ledge wrong, or does it not count mobilised units? Does it only count the amount of bridges allowed in the military tab? I have 100 bridges but can only support about 80 because my pops have changed since, is this what the screen shows?
I still think it ios wrong bacause the ledge says that France has 22 brigades, even though it has a larger Military score than me. I know they have more ships, but still dont believe that the French Empire that is fighting battles abroad only has 22 units.

Im sure there are some more but i will come back to those later.
I will post a few of my findings and beginners tips later as well.

Hi,
Im fairly new to Vicky2, but not Paradox games. Im playing my first real game starting as Prussia. I've done a lot of reading or forums & the wiki but still have a few questions I cant find answer for, I think that these may be the quirks of the games but could do with some feedback.
Im using patch version 1.3.

1) Greater germany. Ive read about forming Greater Germany, but don't understand how this would work. When i formed Germany (I was NGF) I had broken Bohemia from Austria and had it in my sphere. However I didn't inherit Bohemia. What is the german wind event, how would it trigger, and what does it do?

Bohemia is a Slavic cultured nation, not German. There are several nations that you can free from Austria that you won't ever have a chance of inheriting because they are wrong-cultured including Croatia, Lombardy, Venetia, Hungary, etc. If you want to make it yours you should acquire state instead.

2)When i was fighting france for the German cores, Bavaria became a great power and left my spere if influence. I later declared war on Bavaria with assert hegemony and added humiliate to remove their prestige. When i declared peace Bavaria the Great power was in my sphere of influence! I then created Germany. Was this an error, i dont think that i should have had a GP in my sphere. When i reloaded a game they weren't in my sphere which makes me think it was a bug.

No, as of 1.3 all your cultural group's nations are immediately in your sphere once they fall out of the GP club. The same thing would have to Austria if you win an A-H war could get it out of the GP club it will be in your sphere immediately.

3) when I attacked Bohemia the GP i occupied every province they owned and killed all of their unit. I had 100 units (no mobilization) they had none and are land locked so had no ships. My Military score was about 50 and theres was about 30. How can they had a M score of 30 with absolutely no military!!!

Because they still have soldier pops living in their states that had not been deployed as soldiers. Mil score is based mostly on your potential military power. It really doesn't matter how many of your soldiers you deploy whether none or all of them. Your Mil score would stay the same.

4) I was attacking Austria with my 100 brigades. The ledger before war said that Austria had 30 brigades. when i declared war and they mobilized it still said 30, even when i coudl see over 80 on the screen at once. Is the ledge wrong, or does it not count mobilised units? Does it only count the amount of bridges allowed in the military tab? I have 100 bridges but can only support about 80 because my pops have changed since, is this what the screen shows?
I still think it ios wrong bacause the ledge says that France has 22 brigades, even though it has a larger Military score than me. I know they have more ships, but still dont believe that the French Empire that is fighting battles abroad only has 22 units.

Im sure there are some more but i will come back to those later.
I will post a few of my findings and beginners tips later as well.

I don't believe mobilized troops are counted in the ledger because they really are troops. They are farmers and laborers during the normalcy years.

France's Mil score will be higher due to their navy and naval tech. They also will have many troops in Africa. This should be a good thing to you as you don't need a navy to invade them and it means a large amount of their army is distracted in other places. Onward and make frog legs!

Thanks for your reply,

1) So to get Greater Germany you have to inherit Austia as a whole (over 50% South German)? Or Countries that are over 50% German?

2) Thats just it. Bohemia didnt fall out of the GP club, it was 7th. It was GP but in my influence. The influence buttons were greyed out and no one had any influence over them, except they were in my sphere.
Good to know that if i knocked them out they would have returned automatically. I will press on my war against Austria and try and get them in my sphere. I have already removed Bohemia and Lombardia (I wanted access to some silk for my fancy clothes factories).
Are there any tips to how to knock a country out of GP status?

3) Ok. Is there a guide or explaination anywhere explaining how this is worked out?

4) I can't believe that France only has 22 units (non mobilized units). They are going down next.

My current battle plan.
Ive broken by truce with Austria as i got a free CB to annex a state, so Im going after Moravia as it seems to be the state with the highest population. I will probably add in AH as it is free and Humiliate to get my lost prestige back.
Then the heads will turn West to France. I will have finished the Guard Tech in a couple of Months so after my war with Austria half my infantry will be disbanded and replaced with crak troops. navy will continue to be expanded using my huge cash surplus, so i can blockade France during the war and stop them returning troops home.

I have decided to concentrate on technology (not taking on too much territory with low literacy) and high value provinces. I had virtually every tech available before 1850 and saved up to get Army Decision Making as soon as it was available.

Questions;
a) What should be my war goals for France? What states should I annex? How high in Army tech will France be, can i find out?

b) Overall, I cant see the point in point in taking provinces instead of sphering them, especially colonies. You still get the trade good with out the low literacy.

What high value (literacy, trades good or population) states would you recommend i take next?
Is there a "how to knock the UK down a peg or two" guide?

There is a bug causing the target of Assert Hegemony to be in your SoI for 1 day. You could for example use it on Austria and on that 1 day form Germany, instantly swallowing all of Austria as well.

I have a tangential question about inheriting Austria: does the crown in the gutter event occur if you knock Austria-Hungary from great power status? Or can this only occur if it's Austria? I want to form a Grossdeutschland but release territory that's not predominantly German in Austria-Hungary's former territory, which means releasing Hungary for the most part.

I have a tangential question about inheriting Austria: does the crown in the gutter event occur if you knock Austria-Hungary from great power status? Or can this only occur if it's Austria? I want to form a Grossdeutschland but release territory that's not predominantly German in Austria-Hungary's former territory, which means releasing Hungary for the most part.

Crown From the Gutter activates when any state who's culture is a part of a union culture (ie., North German/South German) is overthrown by pan-nationalist rebels. So, say Saxony was taken over by pat-nats, they would offer the crown to Prussia.

I'm not entirely sure if it can happen for Austria, the only times I've ever seen it happen, the crown was offered to Prussia. As far as I know, though, Austria-Hungary cannot be annexed into Germany via Crown From the Gutter/German Winds (since the idea is sort of based on the assumption that things played out like they did OTL, with the north Germans beating the snot out of Austria and the Austrians being sort of resentful over it and not wanting to join a Prussian-dominated Germany).

When you try to form Greater Germany make sure u occupy Austria until they fall from GP status before creating Germany, and u can't be at war with anybody else when u peace with them. Any other country in ur cultural union besides Austria will have ur cores so u can annex them if they don't auto join (ie they are GPs)

When you try to form Greater Germany make sure u occupy Austria until they fall from GP status before creating Germany, and u can't be at war with anybody else when u peace with them. Any other country in ur cultural union besides Austria will have ur cores so u can annex them if they don't auto join (ie they are GPs)

To add to that, you need to first give Austria the beat down, making sure to assert hegemony. I normally do this on day 1 and am finished with the occupation in about 3 years. Then, you need to grab Slesvig from Denmark if you want it, or sphere Denmark so you can meet the NGF requirements. If you sphere Denmark, you won't get Slesvig when you form the NGF.
You can optionally sphere Luxembourg, which will be annexed when you form the NGF later.

Then, with Austria still occupied, you need to take Alsace-Lorraine from France. This is the tricky part, but it's quite possible to do it before 1845. The trick is to lure France into your territory so it suffers from attrition. I like to get military access from Belgium and Baden, then hide troops there while France marches into the Rhineland, then I start a big fight, which will typically lure all of France's troops to the battle, upon which I move my armies sitting in neutral territory behind the battle, making sure to completely surround it. Once I win the fight, France will lose all of its troops, allowing me to occupy the country. More often than not, you'll be waiting a few years for France to give in, even after you've occupied every European province France has. If you can grab a few other French provinces, like Franche-Comte, then go ahead and do it; you'll weaken France and strengthen yourself enough that France will have a hard time recovering. I normally find that France is my greatest threat when playing as Germany, so anything you can do to delay their inevitable "liberation of Alsace-Lorraine" wars will help.

Once you get A-L from France, pause the game and make peace with Austria, making sure to assert hegemony. Then, still paused, form the NGF (you'll get Luxembourg here if you sphered it). With the game still paused, form Germany. Since the AH wargoal puts Austria in your sphere for a day, you'll form the German Empire with all of Austria's land as well. As a side note, Austria needs to be in the #9 or lower position. Even if it's a GP, if Austria is #9 or lower, then you'll sphere it and gain control of all Austrian provinces.

From there, you can pretty much do whatever you want, as you now have a massive population with lots of resources, as well as a fairly high literacy rate. If you want to shed infamy or raise your literacy, you can release some low-literacy countries like Croatia, Ukraine, and Hungary.

This thread has some good advice too: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?532657-Advice-on-Prussia

Last edited:
A comprehensive guide for building Germany with Prussia can be found here:

http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Prussia

It includes two separate ways of doing things, one where Austria and France ally initially, and one where they don't.

As someone who is playing Germany (from Prussia) right now I would give you advice but I already added any advice I could personally add to this article. (I got stuck on the Alternative Route - and wrote it into the article as a possibility.)

Thanks for all your advice, and I found the wiki very useful.
I decided against forming Greater Germany as some of the poorer states didn't appeal to me.

I didn't declare war on day 1 but waited until all of the small spheres had offered alliances, and called allies against Austria. They were very useful for providing extra units to harrass Austria and the Allies. Getting AH on Austria early is very useful as you get all of their spheres (inc Bavaria) which provide useful allies against France.
At one point France had allied with the UK, but while I was attacking Denmark the alliance was canceled and I could go after France.
The decisive point in the war against France was the encirclement and defeat of their 100+ stack, there wasnt much resistance after that. It maybe explains why they only have a standing army of 22 now, must have hurt their solider pops.
I had another war with Austria to release Lombardia to get some silk into my internal market to use in all my fancy clothes shops. Ive sphered egypt too, for the cotton and fancy wood. The German economy must be fed!
I have had to mobilise at all in any of my wars, Ive survived with out it. I think it was a mistake in the early stage to build quite a bit of Artillery, i don't think it adds much with only the first tech level. How uch does mobilisation hurt your economy?
It is 1851 and im getting nearly 30 tech a day so the techs are flying by. Plan is to attack France with lots of Guards. Which are the best states in France for me to take?

Very much enjoying the game.

My tip for new players, which i didn't read anywhere in the wiki, or not explained well enough anyway.

Industry.
Build you own, it isn't that difficult. Find out what is in demand & what resources you have and build the factories accordingly. Don't use common sense and think that steel and arms will be good industries. There is plenty of small arms on the world market that you can buy you dont need to produce them yourself, it doesn't do your IND score much good. Instead create a supply chain for very high value goods such as Fancy clothes and furniture, in my game in 1850 wine commodity by far, the production quantity x price produces the most profit. I don't even need to produce all of my own glass because I can buy it on the market.
I have set up plenty of factories for liquor and fancy clothes to supply my guards, but they also make a good profit.
Close down factories that are only making a low profit if their goods are available on the market. You don't have to destroy them, you can always open them later if you need them again. When I did this my IND score nearly doubled in a couple of years.
Closing low profit industries gives your high profit industries more workers. In early years craftsmen are the most important commodity for a strong industry.