• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I once tried with Poland, and it did not end well.

I agree with Faustling that the problem is the very long border to defend, which becomes only longer when Germany puppets Slovakia. Another problem is that the terrain is not very defensible, mainly plains. Third problem is the German attack from the north. If you could bet them off and capture the German provinces there, you could have marginal possibility of survival. Also it's good to remember that soldiers in HoI3 are too dumb to dig-in during peacetime.:wacko:

Wish you luck.

Can't wait until the war! :D Good Luck! ;)
Neither can I, it will be nice to actually do something in these updates.

My advice is; build only infantry. You have too much real estate to defend with forts or AAs. Only lvl10 fort could save you, and that takes too long to build.
Its a little too late to change my plans now, and surely if I have only infantry the tanks would just walk over me.

I don't understand this strategy. The Polish border is too long to protect with static defenses. A few defensible strongpoints might be good, but a long defense line is not strong enough, it can be broken at any point. Polish tanks are no match for the German panzers. I would concentrate on equipping the infantry with good artillery.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, though. Good luck.
Yes, I know my tanks will be little match for their Panzer's and yes, a weak defensive line is never a good sight, but this is an alternative strategy. And thank you, i will need alot of luck.

i like the plan tho imo i think you should start your armies on the german border and fight a withdrawal back to the river that way your troops fight with advantage. if you have troops dug in behind your frontlines the germans are always fighting against entrechment. if you can hold danzig you should have some counter attack oppurtunities especially (like you even have half as many troops as you need) if you can start a well timed offensive in the north cutting off konigberg and memel ports. sadly if all goes well youll be the newest most brilliant russian general eva! cant wait to see what happens.
I think theres a problem with that plan, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the troops suffer morale and organisation hits for every loss. And there is alot of provinces to lose on the retreat. My very first thing that I'll do is attack Konnigsberg and take it as soon as possible, my troops are stretched enough as it is.

I once tried with Poland, and it did not end well.

I agree with Faustling that the problem is the very long border to defend, which becomes only longer when Germany puppets Slovakia. Another problem is that the terrain is not very defensible, mainly plains. Third problem is the German attack from the north. If you could bet them off and capture the German provinces there, you could have marginal possibility of survival. Also it's good to remember that soldiers in HoI3 are too dumb to dig-in during peacetime.

Wish you luck.
Like I said, I'm going to attack Konnigsberg as soon as I can. My line stretches along the south border with Czech, hopefully there won't be many German Panzers lurking around there when war comes, I'm going to try and take Slovakia and use the mountains. Thank you.

Chapter Five - Same old, Same old
The next half year was quite different to the other years, very little troops we're made. Instead, Poland concentrated on preparing defenses along the Vistula. But it was the same, old, boring micro-management for the Polish government.

Every single province along the river had an AA defense of some sort, most we're poorly built and could barely fire, but they we're better then nothing.

Along with the AA turrets, important provinces, vantage points and Achilles' heels all had forts. By the end of the year, the "Operation Vistula - South" map looked like this:
HoI3_24.jpg

Although not many troops we're trained, two new tank divisions we're created. One was sent to the north at the province of Mlawa and the other south to Zywiec. The Zywiec division was much weaker due to a administrative cock-up.
HoI3_4-2.jpg

And, as usual, Poland advanced in technology:
  • Industrial Production Advance
  • Large Front Advance
  • Infantry Support Weapons Advance

But, in order to strengthen the link with France, and to make things harder for the Krauts, Sucharski met with Gaulle and gave him tips on how to run his grand army. He shared Polish technology on "Grand battle plan doctrine" with the French.

"So it will force the Germans to invest more tanks on the maginot line giving us a great chance to counter attack the Krauts and take Berlin by winter" he said to a French reporter.

Interesting strategy. Very curious to see how this works out!

[nitpick]: "we're" is the abbreviation of "we are". So if you write for example "fortresses we're expanded" that should be "fortresses were expanded" instead. :)
[/nitpick]

I will follow this mate, good luck you will need it

It will be interesting to see how your defenses are going to stop Germans :)
Hopefully well.

Interesting strategy. Very curious to see how this works out!

[nitpick]: "we're" is the abbreviation of "we are". So if you write for example "fortresses we're expanded" that should be "fortresses were expanded" instead. :)
[/nitpick]

I will follow this mate, good luck you will need it
Thanks!

Update in 3....2.....1.....

Chapter Six - Where the hell has Czechoslovakia gone?
Sucharski burst into the cabinet, "What the heck is going on in Germany?"
"Just Hitler enforcing more of his claims" said the ministers, without looking up.
"Well why didnt any of you tell me?"
"eh..."
HoI3_1-2.jpg

It seems the sly dogs in Germany took the Sudetenland without Polish intelligence finding out. This kind of increased threat forced Sucharski to recall all troops from the eastern line to aid the Vistula Line (or Polskaline as some ignorant foreigners insisted on calling it). All of the northern Eastern's went to help in the attack on Konnigsberg, whilst the few southern troops aided the Slovak line.
HoI3_3-3.jpg

Now was the time to raise our armies from their holes! The ministers all agreed on mobilizing our armies, they all knew how close the world was to a world war.
HoI3_5-2.jpg

Sucharski knew how terrible the Polish Flota was in comparison to the German fleet. He knew things looked even worse when he imagined the Luftwaffe. He asked France, Poland's only ally, for Transit Rights.
HoI3_6-2.jpg

Then he ordered the entire Polish fleet, composed of a group of Destroyers and a handful of submarines, to the town of St Malo, located in northern France. However, he left the small air command in Poland, for help with defense and the attack on Konnigsberg.
HoI3_7-3.jpg

Polish technologies advanced during this period:
  • Delay Doctrine Advance

Things went from bad to worse, as Germany annexed the Czech part of Czechoslovakia. Leaving Slovakia a mere puppet of the Third Reich. After hearing the news, the allies came to Sucharski with a proposition that Poland could not possibly refuse:
HoI3_8.jpg

(although it did lack sense)

The southern Polish border change alot as well, Poland now bordered Hungary. Despite leaning dangerously towards Fascism, perhaps and alliance with our new neighbors would be beneficial? It would open a 3rd front for the Germans and give us some breathing space down stairs.*

HoI3_11-3.jpg

After seeing Hitlers blatant disregard for world peace. Europe went into a fenzy of announcements of mobilizations, annexations, treaties and the allies giving us a nice welcome into their alliance.
HoI3_10-1.jpg

___
*I thought "what the heck" and decided to see if I could offer. Turned out very likely, but I thought it would break the game if they joins Axis. Thoughts?

I'm likely to do a update more recently then usual, as interesting things are beginning to happen!

Last edited:
Chapter Seven - WAR!
Huah! Alright, what is it good for?

It was settled, not just in Poland, but in the Allies in general, Hungary was to join them; to help Poland, to give Germany another front and to cease the Italian invasion of the Balkans. As the two were neighbors and had a mutual hatred of Germany, an alliance was quickly set up between the two.
HoI3_1-3.jpg

Down south, on the Stanislaw, the troops were dispersed away, to other more needy parts of the Vistula line.
HoI3_2-4.jpg

Things were not all dandy though. Germany, having seen through the Allies plans, decided they must use Propaganda, assassinations and espionage to force Hungary away from the Allies and into the Reich.

However, the Allies influence were far better, and Hungary steadily came towards the good side.
HoI3_4-3.jpg

To strengthen the Allies more, Luxembourg entered an alliance with France.

It was becoming clear to Sucharski that Slovakia would be a pain in the ass in the up coming war. With the help of Hungarian troops, plans were being made to take the spike in the east. The area was dominated by German troops with no visible Slovak troops in sight.
HoI3_7-4.jpg

The next few months were relatively quiet, however, that did not stop the progress of technology! The industry was boosted and our armies were given support weapons.
  • Industrial Production Advance
  • Infantry Support Weapons Advance

The population was at such joy at these announcements that two new infantry regiments were deployed and positioned along the Vistula at Rypin and Lublin.
HoI3_11-4.jpg

After that came a Surge Of Volunteers, the word "Surge" has been tossed around alot these days. So much so that its lost all meaning whatsoever, apparently.

Suddenly, something important happened! Germany began mobilizing its armed forces! This was a scary thought for all Poles, Operation Get-Behind-The-Damn-River was put into practice as millions of Western Polish men, women and children clambered over the bridges to the safe side. War was less then a month away!
HoI3_13-2.jpg

Against all odds, Germany did not declare war, instead, it offered an Ultimatum: Danzig or War. "Well, we have no choice." Mościcki* began, "we have no choice. We can either give them our land, our land that our ancestors won legitimately in The Great War. Or, we can fight, like men, like soldiers! We can and will fight for POLAND!"
HoI3_14-1.jpg

Hungary honered our alliance without thinking.
HoI3_17-1.jpg

The Battle for Danzig had begun.
HoI3_18-1.jpg

And the War for Poland** had begun.
HoI3_19.jpg

___

*he was the Prime minister
**Or The German Reconquest Of Danzig (for EU3 enthusiasts)***
***Or World War II (for spoilsports)

Last edited:
To strengthen the Allies more, Luxembourg entered an alliance with France.

Is this a joke?

Seriously, I hope you to delay Germany, but I wonder how long you will keep the fort. Like I said in another thread, France is ridiculously weak.

Luxembourg may not have any hordes to offer, but its elite troop of soldiers speaks the fearsome Luxembourgish, while retaining a unique capability to drown its enemies with tonnes upon tonnes of surplus money.

Just imagine the impact of a 500kg gold bullion bomb being airdropped on a Panther tank.

1. Defend the Vistula
2. Stop the Germans
3. make an offensive with your allies
4. ???
5. Christmas at Berlin (profit)

Is this a joke?

Seriously, I hope you to delay Germany, but I wonder how long you will keep the fort. Like I said in another thread, France is ridiculously weak.
No Joke:
HoI3_5-3.jpg

I dont think France is weak, it just doesn't try. In the update, you'll see.
But Luxembourg shall save them :D

Aye, even mighty German armour trembles at the prospect of having to fight the innumerable hordes of Luxembourg.

Good luck OP.
Thank you.

Luxembourg may not have any hordes to offer, but its elite troop of soldiers speaks the fearsome Luxembourgish, while retaining a unique capability to drown its enemies with tonnes upon tonnes of surplus money.

Just imagine the impact of a 500kg gold bullion bomb being airdropped on a Panther tank.
You really think Luxembourg is that rich? I doubt France actually thought it would be a military alliance, just a "Give us damn transit rights" alliance.

1. Defend the Vistula
2. Stop the Germans
3. make an offensive with your allies
4. ???
5. Christmas at Berlin (profit)
I see a flaw in your logic, I'm Poland.

Update in <1 hour. Small one though, I'm afraid.

Chapter Eight - Remind me why we're allies, again?

With the war starting up, a complete rework of the industry was in order. All new fortification grants were to be put on hold, and instead of the country prioritizing production, reinforcement was now the main thing.
HoI3_20.jpg

Polish troops began the march to Konnigsberg. It was key we gain the port as soon as possible.
HoI3_21.jpg

Many provinces were lost, though this was of little concern as that was entirely to the plan.

And many battles broke out, specifically near Danzig and near Czech. Surprisingly, it seems that Germany gave alot of regiments to Slovakia, as they certainly were not there before! Grudziaz was an important region that needed to be defended, it was part of the lifeline that supplied Danzig, Poland's only port.
HoI3_23.jpg

Our troops made progress to Konnigsberg rather quickly, a few towns and villages have already fallen.
HoI3_25.jpg

The battle for Slovakia lasted less then a week, Hungarian forces completely overtook their capital and the entire country fell to them, bar one province which went to Poland.
HoI3_26.jpg

Back up north, the battle for Brodnica had begun. Contrary to the Danzig battle, this time, our troops had a chance to dig trenches and prepare for the oncoming Germans. Which, along with the fort, gave them a great advantage.
HoI3_27.jpg

As the German poured over the border, more and more troops. Sucharski wanted answers, specifically why France had done absolutely nothing to help them. A quick look at the Mangoit line provided no answers.
HoI3_28.jpg

The picture was posted in a famous Polish newspaper running the headline "Lazy French A******s". "Remind me why we're allies with them?" asked Sucharski.

Back in Poland, the defence was going well, with all attacks so far having minimum success, German attacks that is. The Konnigsberg assault was going nicely.
HoI3_30.jpg

With Slovakia no longer a threat, the southern line returned north to resupply the Vistula with troops to the much needed areas.

South Africa asked Poland to allow debt when trading with them. Since it was unlikely we ever trade with them or if any convoys will actually reach there, Mościcki thought "What the hell!" and accepted it.

Austrailia and New Zealand joined the allies within days of each other.

Some truly fantastic news arrived from Grudziadz, they had successfully defended the onslaught of German troops. And, on the 29th September, the Germans retreated!
HoI3_35.jpg

To help out our allies, the Hungarians, Hungary was given Transit Rights. And, after Sucharski realized that the Germans could easily go round the river, attack Hungary and have a easy fight to Warsaw, he sent some troops to stop this.
HoI3_39.jpg

By the end of the first month of conflict, the entirety of the borders had changed. Hungary made steady progress in the south*, Konnigsberg was just over the horizon and Operation Vistula was definitely in motion.
HoI3_41.jpg

___
*But it looks like its been grounded to a halt, remember, there were no German troops on their border when war began.