Put the wAAR in wAARlord: Guangxi Clique AAR
Greetings, and welcome to my second AAR. In my first, I took on the role of Hungary and tried to help get Europe into Communist hands. That didn’t quite go so well, but it was fun trying. In this game, I will leave Europe for the first time and try a country I haven’t seen any other reports on: the Guangxi Clique in China.
This will be a challenge for me since I will likely need a navy at one point and I’m afraid I don’t understand the naval game very well. My goals for this game will be:
- Get into the Axis
- Conquer as much of China as I can before Japan does
- Sweep as many of the Allies as I can out of the South Pacific, capping it off with the conquest of India, Australia, and New Zealand
- Administer a coup de grace against a major power
Who knows if any of this will be possible, but I will give it a shot. As in my previous work I will not focus much on storytelling, but I will try to make it interesting.
I don’t know much about the historical Clique and information seems sparse on the web. Most searches link back to the same poorly written (I assume due to language translation issues) article on Wikipedia, and, ironically, Hearts of Iron websites.”Tell me how I’m funny” – Tommy DeVito
The long and short of it though, is that what the game calls the Guangxi Clique is in fact the New Guangxi Clique, the strongmen from the Old Guangxi Clique having been deposed in the early 20s. The Clique was adamantly opposed to Chiang and the Nationalists until the Japanese takeover of Manchukuo, at which point they became staunchly loyal. In my new timeline, the Japanese government is run by more moderate individuals who are genuinely interested in a legitimate “Co-Prosperity Sphere” with equal partners and not just Japanese economic slaves. Our shared goals will be an Asia freed from European colonial influence.
Table of Contents
- Chapter One: 1936 – Road to War
- Chapter Two: 1938 – Year of the Earth Tiger
- Chapter Three: 1939 – Danzig or War? Too Late!
- Chapter Four: 1940, first half – The Balloon Goes Up
- Chapter Five: 1940, second half – Hard Times at Ridgemont High
- Chapter Six: 1941, first half – Bad Day at Black Rock
- Chapter Seven: 1941, second half – Rest & Refit
- Chapter Eight: 1942, Winter – Java Campaign
- Chapter Nine: 1942, April – Borneo Campaign
- Chapter Ten: 1942, Summer – The Heady Days of Summer
- Chapter Eleven: 1942, Fall – Thunder Down Under
- Chapter Twelve: 1943, Winter – We Bag Us a Lion
- Chapter Thirteen: 1943, Spring – Kiwi Campaign
- Chapter Fourteen: 1943, Summer & Fall – Mopping Up
- Chapter Fifteen: 1944, WInter – The Fat Lady is on in Five