Thread: Check for Update

Check for Update

The button to check for updates on the launcher just opens the webpage here for the game. Is there some way to tell if my current version(which I don't know offhand when I launch the game) is the most recent?

There is no actual information on the page that opens to indicate any patch status.

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2Semper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires. Argentina
    If you bought the game on any of the online platforms (GamersGate, Steam, etc) , you already have the 1.01 version.
    The "new patch" 1.02 is not available right now... and has no ETA yet...

When you fire the game, and the PON logo appears... you do not see your version of the game on the low right corner?
    AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!
    FACEBOOK: AGEOD - Pride of Nations
    Pride of Nations already available!! - AGEOD forum - Paradox forum
    -------
    Football Manager: La AAR chaquetera oficial FM 2007, FM 2008

As far as patches are concerned, does it make any functional difference as to where you buy the game? Would the Steam platform prevent me from successfully applying any future beta patches to the game?

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by asix79 View Post
    As far as patches are concerned, does it make any functional difference as to where you buy the game? Would the Steam platform prevent me from successfully applying any future beta patches to the game?
    Sorry, I cannot read the future...

But, if you ask me about my previous experience with both platforms, GamersGate works better with "not-so-official-patches"...
    Steam can automatically redownload the game from time to time (because your game is not in sync with their files) breaking havoc on the changes you made...

Anyway, you have to do extra stuff to install a beta patch on a Steam version... but it is posible if you really want...
    -------

In the past Paradox and Steam have not played well together at all, there have been constant problems with patches and and playing multi-player. With this game being PBEM only the MP thing should be solved and people have figured out how to "force" the beta patches onto the Steam versions. I use Steam quite a bit but I intentionally did not get this game on Steam for those reasons even though that would have been my preference otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalisimo View Post

When you fire the game, and the PON logo appears... you do not see your version of the game on the low right corner?

Well... yes, but that's after I leave the launcher, which is where I check for updates, and already started the game. Sort of a horse and cart issue, really.

I do know there isn't a patch yet, but was wondering how I would know when there was.

Btw, awesome game. Seriously awesome.

Steam can automatically redownload the game from time to time (because your game is not in sync with their files) breaking havoc on the changes you made...
    For what it's worth, with Steam versions of games it is possible to set it to NOT update automatically. Right-click on the game in your library, choose "Properties", then select the "Updates" tab and look in the dropdown.

I preordered on GamersGate anyway

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    War of the VikingsWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by digital_pariah View Post
    For what it's worth, with Steam versions of games it is possible to set it to NOT update automatically. Right-click on the game in your library, choose "Properties", then select the "Updates" tab and look in the dropdown.

I preordered on GamersGate anyway
    Yes, you can set that to not update. However it reverts to enabled updates every time the Steam program is closed.

So if you shut down your computer, or exit Steam's adware when not being forced to use it, the updates get turned back on (and your game gets auto-updated) the next time you fire up one of your Steam games. Merry Xmas!

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisHoi 2 BetaEuropa Universalis IV

Yes, that's one of the most annoying things about Steam. We should all deluge them with complaints saying that they should allow your preference for updating to be the default after the program reboots. Eventually I suspect it will, because it is a source of a lot of unhappiness.
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe
    Victoria - Revolutions: Fabrikknecht
    EU3: Reichskanzler
    Pride of Nations: Staatssekretär des Kolonialamtes
    CK2: Ausgebildeter (!) Lehrling

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    War of the VikingsWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsspieler View Post
    Yes, that's one of the most annoying things about Steam. We should all deluge them with complaints saying that they should allow your preference for updating to be the default after the program reboots. Eventually I suspect it will, because it is a source of a lot of unhappiness.
    Dunno.. I've heard comlpaints about it for a couple years, I think. The Steam people don't seem to care, and their customer service hasn't received a great reputation either. *shrug*

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisHoi 2 BetaEuropa Universalis IV

Too true, I guess.
    Well, I don't care much, because all I depend on them for is Civ 5 and Football Manager, and those games don't do unofficial beta releases. But for anything done by Paradox, where eventually every game goes the unofficial beta route, I would not use Steam.
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe
    Victoria - Revolutions: Fabrikknecht
    EU3: Reichskanzler
    Pride of Nations: Staatssekretär des Kolonialamtes
    CK2: Ausgebildeter (!) Lehrling

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsspieler View Post
    Too true, I guess.
    Well, I don't care much, because all I depend on them for is Civ 5 and Football Manager, and those games don't do unofficial beta releases. But for anything done by Paradox, where eventually every game goes the unofficial beta route, I would not use Steam.
    I completely agree. I can confirm that, at least with EU3 and Victoria II, Steam's settings revert to update these games automatically when they're launched. The client doesn't need to be restarted for this change to happen. This makes me angry. I wish I had known about this before buying the Paradox games I have. When I can, I'll be replacing them with Gamersgate versions. I'd think that companies, as a whole, would appreciate the value of the default opt-in option by now, but I suppose not.

I completely agree. I can confirm that, at least with EU3 and Victoria II, Steam's settings revert to update these games automatically when they're launched. The client doesn't need to be restarted for this change to happen. This makes me angry. I wish I had known about this before buying the Paradox games I have. When I can, I'll be replacing them with Gamersgate versions. I'd think that companies, as a whole, would appreciate the value of the default opt-in option by now, but I suppose not.
    I am not sure about this, but I have heard that if you copy & paste the game into another location, and then apply normally the patch... you get a normal game (without Steam).
    I must admit that I haven't tried it myself with Vicky2 (my only Paradox game on Steam).
    Maybe it is no longer posible to do it?
    -------

I am not sure about this, but I have heard that if you copy & paste the game into another location, and then apply normally the patch... you get a normal game (without Steam).
    I must admit that I haven't tried it myself with Vicky2 (my only Paradox game on Steam).
    Maybe it is no longer posible to do it?
    Yes, it sounds as if you could possibly do that with the Steam version if they patch with a regular version update from here. That would, in effect, overwrite the Steam EXE and whatnot with a regular version. So you'd end up (theoretically) turning that copied version into a non-Steam version since the requirement for using the Steam program would then be gone. Running from that EXE (the patch one) should just ignore all the Steam files which aren't needed to run the game.

I'm not sure how that is looked upon by Steam, as Steam was obviously created as DRM so they may get cranky about you circumventing it. They don't seem to pay much attention to their customers, though, and Paradox games have no such annoying DRM, so go for it.

Edit: I'd just recommend not buying anything from Steam, unless they've monopolized the game in question as sometimes happens. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefaro View Post
    Edit: I'd just recommend not buying anything from Steam, unless they've monopolized the game in question as sometimes happens. But that's just me.
    I do not think it is that bad... I currently have 143 games on Steam and I have no problem with that.
    You just need to know what to expect... that's the key.

Also, like you said, some games FORCE you to insteall Steam, like Civ5 or Football Manager for example...
    -------