+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New History Editing Tool: Testers Wanted

Magrathean Engineer Haftetavenscrap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

New History Editing Tool: Testers Wanted

I have been working on this new history editing tool since the old scenario editor is no longer being supported for recent expansions. It currently edits only province history, but it has been very useful to me for both visualizing and tweaking my mods. (I also found a lot of bugs in vanilla!). It's a relatively new tool and it probably has bugs, so before I release it and ruin someone's life, I want to do some testing and iron it out a bit.

Here are some screenshots:

Here's the link:
    EU3 History Editor

PS. This is only compatible with DW. If you load another version of the game, it will probably work for the most part, but you will lose information when you save. If there is any demand, I can add some compatibility.
    Last edited by Haftetavenscrap; 06-10-2011 at 20:04.
    Try Haftetavenscrap's Realistic Map Generator!
    Explore, colonize and conquer a world you've never seen before!
    Much more intricate and realistic maps than Conquest of Paradise

Get it HERE!

I wouldn't mind testing it next week,
    This week is finals and I should have all of next week after monday to test it plus I was going to work on my personal mod anyways.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Haftetavenscrap View Post
    I have been working on this new history editing tool since the old scenario editor is no longer being supported for recent expansions.
    The scenario editor was updated on May 17, 2011 to work with HTT and DW

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post12203612

But it is always nice to have a new tool

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II

Blog Entries
    WTF!?!?! I hate my life. I've been working on this for almost a year, and mere weeks before it decide to release it, the other scenario editor comes back from the dead....

However, part of the point of this editor was to improve on some of the features of the other one, so hopefully some people will like it anyways. And I have no intention of making a savegame editor so it's definitely useful to have both.

I definitely want people to test it to see if it's worth my while to continue working on this, or if everyone wants the old one now .
    Last edited by Haftetavenscrap; 08-06-2011 at 23:05.

Get it HERE!

Blog Entries
    I posted a link so that anyone can try it. Just be careful - if you want to use it for any actual modding, make backups.

Get it HERE!

Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I'll give it a thorough testing over the weekend!
    Current game:

ATAGE for Divine Wind -A standalone version of Magna Mundi's Government Ranks system.

Optimum Scholarum Cogitationis -A collection starring SRI, Dei Gratia, ATAGE and much more.

Aegean Crusade -Finish what the Fourth Crusade started.

I have to say, it looks really good. Editing provinces is way more convenient.

After 2 weeks of editting text files ....
    two weeks...
    MANUALLY
    Y U NO RELEASE SOONER!??!?
    *cries*
    Proud player of WWM ( Latest game is a WC by the Aleutians up in northwest America. )

And Civ Univ. The person who brought the mod back to life ..... but not the person who gave it a new calling and modernizing it - Hafte.

Currently playing Carib in Civ Univ.

Elven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II Collection

I posted a link so that anyone can try it. Just be careful - if you want to use it for any actual modding, make backups.
    I'll play with it over this weekend and see if I can make it crash spectacularly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoobs View Post
    After 2 weeks of editting text files ....
    two weeks...
    MANUALLY
    Y U NO RELEASE SOONER!??!?
    *cries*
    2 weeks ago it would have made you cry. Maybe it still will

Get it HERE!

Lt. General

Just tried it out. First thing I recognize: The sea is displayed grey, like land provinces.

I have completely redone the map and don't use moddir. The default.map file lists all sea provinces:
    sea_starts = { ... }

The game runs the mod fine.
    Event Editor, helping to ensure, the sun never sets on modding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkhold View Post
    Just tried it out. First thing I recognize: The sea is displayed grey, like land provinces.

I have completely redone the map and don't use moddir. The default.map file lists all sea provinces:
    sea_starts = { ... }

The game runs the mod fine.
    Can you send me your default.map file? It should be a simple fix
    Last edited by Haftetavenscrap; 10-06-2011 at 20:38.

Get it HERE!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindSengokuVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It works with no problem, also with modded map.
    Thanks for this great tool!

EDIT: Some remarks
    - With using my mod, the editor doesn't read new added country tag.
    - I must always rewrite the file name of new added provinces.
    Last edited by chatnoir17; 11-06-2011 at 09:32. Reason: typo
    Nova Monumenta Iaponiae Historica: A Sengoku Mod for CK2 (alpha 0.0.6)
    Historical 1534 scenario, original portraits, family trees between the 6th and 16th century etc. You can check alpha version video in ParadoxExtra!
    Direct Link to our Steam Workshop page.

Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod for EU4) Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod for EU4, will be updated with AoW)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chatnoir17 View Post
    - With using my mod, the editor doesn't some new added country tag.
    ?
    - I must always rewrite the file name of new added provinces.
    Some of the province files in vanilla were strangely misnamed, so instead of copying the filenames, it names the file what the province is actually called in the game. If you replace the old name with the new one, you shouldn't have to rename it again, as the editor will always give you the same file name unless you rename the province.

Get it HERE!

?
    Sorry, that was my typo. The editor can't recognize some country tags, though the other tags have no problem.

Some of the province files in vanilla were strangely misnamed, so instead of copying the filenames, it names the file what the province is actually called in the game. If you replace the old name with the new one, you shouldn't have to rename it again, as the editor will always give you the same file name unless you rename the province.
    I don't find any problem with simply renaming provinces which have already existed in vanilla. Only new provinces which I created seem to have wrong name like "2011 - PROV2011".
    Historical 1534 scenario, original portraits, family trees between the 6th and 16th century etc. You can check alpha version video in ParadoxExtra!

Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod for EU4) Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod for EU4, will be updated with AoW)

Blog Entries
    Sorry, that was my typo. The editor can't recognize some country tags, though the other tags have no problem.

I don't find any problem with simply renaming provinces which have already existed in vanilla. Only new provinces which I created seem to have wrong name like "2011 - PROV2011".
    The province thing should only happen if there are missing localization entries for those provinces. The country problem may be related. Are you using 'extend = "localisation"' for your mod? The program might be reading it wrong because I only tested with 'replace = "localisation"'.

Get it HERE!

The province thing should only happen if there are missing localization entries for those provinces. The country problem may be related. Are you using 'extend = "localisation"' for your mod? The program might be reading it wrong because I only tested with 'replace = "localisation"'.
    Yes, that's is the reason! Thanks.
    Since Norton had kindly removed the .exe file, I couldn't test your editor yet, but I will try again tomorrow.

I tested on two different computers, on my xp, it worked fine but on windows 7 it crashed my system, but it looks nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by starwarsfan541 View Post
    I tested on two different computers, on my xp, it worked fine but on windows 7 it crashed my system, but it looks nice.
    No error messages? It should work on Windows 7 because that's where it was developed

EDIT: @chatnoir17: It wasn't loading the localisation data because I spelled it localization . It will be fixed next time I update (waiting for more feedback first)
    Last edited by Haftetavenscrap; 11-06-2011 at 01:05.

Get it HERE!

I've only briefly mucked with it, but it looks promising so far. A few notes:

1) Running Windows 7 64-bit, I've found one crash-bug: when you select a province and double-click, say, culture, on the left it highlights all of that culture. When you double-click tax, it brings up the appropriate mapmode. When you double-click capital, the program crashes.

2) Collapse All/Expand All buttons or context menu on the left side menu might be nice.

3) I opened up an essentially blank mod, which extended everything from Vanilla. I made a few changes, went to "save changes", and it asked me where to save. I take it I was meant to navigate to the mods\<modname>\history\provinces folder, but that wasn't immediately obvious - I instead went to the root folder for the mod, and the program dutifully saved the files there. Minor thing, and only a one-time annoyance, but something that could confuse users the first time they save.

4) A small request: you have some checking on the date-picker, so you can't have the 31st of February and what-not. However, you've also got a limit on the years - it looks to be minimum of 1st January 100 and maximum of 31st December 2000. Even if a mod were to extend before or after this (either as a result of being earlier or later set, or just using a different calendar - if memory serves, using the Roman Ab Urbe Condita, AD 1399 would be 2100-something), your tool sticks with those limits.

It's a minor thing, and not likely to disturb the majority of mods, but perhaps the start and end dates could be read from the defines.txt? Ideally, don't constrain the modder at all (regarding years, months and days are fine), but warn him when outside the limits. Perhaps the date could, for example, be bolded and turned red.

Hopefully, these are all constructive criticisms. You've done some fantastic work here, and I hope you keep at it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast