Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 18 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Questions / Quick answers

Sergeant
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by McNaughton View Post
    Hmm, there should be an event to clear up Joe Johnston and all other CSA generals, as well as to activate civil war era leaders as well (see event file USA Generals Events, it is clear as day there). I am unsure why you still have them. What version are you using?

As to officers, while not an official version, I am working on a mod dealing with manpower and forcepools (along with other aspects), which should rememdy shorfalls of officers and conscripts based upon certain situations (i.e., the USA should have very little access to manpower in peacetime, but, at war a boost should happen based upon mobilizaiton).
    Thanks for your reply. I have the newest version -- patch 1.02, I think. Maybe because we installed this patch in the middle of our game, it is not working. In addition to having no Union generals, and Johnston in my army, I also have, besides the units mentioned above, the Atlanta Garrison (in Pennsylvania, I think) and other Reb units.

I did have another, possibly easier, question. From the AGEOD ACW game, I am used to fairly rigid supply rules. In this current game, somehow 50,000 Confederates are in Boston (I am not quite sure how they got there, either, as they had been in Pittsburgh a turn or two sooner), and although I have blockaded the port while trying to get enough troops there to throw them out, they do not seem to have any supply problems. There are also Confederates who got around my armies in Illininois and took Milwaukee, etc. In short, they are acting more like a 1940 blitzkrieg army than a 19th century army that was tied to its roads, or rail lines, and did not just abandon their lines of communication and head off deep into enemy territory.

Is this as designed, or is it possibly a bug? Right now, I must have over 100,000 Confederates deep into northern states. At the time time, trusty General Scott is knocking on the doors of Richmond with about 120,000 men, and the AI Jeff Davis does not seem to care. P.S. I am still unable to recruit any Union officers, and therefore any Union troops. On the other hand, I probably have about 250,000 men under arms, whom I assume (since I didn't recruit them) are triggered by the start of the war.

Frustrating, a bit, but still fun, and thanks again for your response.

B.C. Milligan
    You've got to have a dream, before you can have a nightmare.

Sergeant
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

As some additional information for anyone who sees this as a software issue, so far in this Civil War, the Union has a grand total of five generals, including Winfield Scott, Joe Johnston, and some nonentities (at least from the point of view of the Civil War; no McDowell, etc., though I did notice Longstreet's corps is in Connecticut now). I am curious if there are any supply rules to this game, as I don't understand how large (25,000+) Confederate forces can survive in Milwaukee, Chicago, or Boston. I am also wondering how the Mississippi River Squadron came to be in New York City. Plus, of course, there are those Union units from Texas, Alabama, etc.

Thanks again. I still think that something is not firing, in the script.

B.C. Milligan

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The game doesn't seem to update the leaders pool to the designed levels for the CW Generals to spawn if the previous ones haven't died/retired. We plan to fix this inconsistency manually, even if by 1863 the ACW is already over in our multiplayer game.
    My AARs
    -------->>> The House of Zähringen <<<--------
    -------->>> Bismarck's Spirit <<<--------

Sergeant

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kensai7 View Post
    The game doesn't seem to update the leaders pool to the designed levels for the CW Generals to spawn if the previous ones haven't died/retired. We plan to fix this inconsistency manually, even if by 1863 the ACW is already over in our multiplayer game.
    This is good to know, as although I like the game itself quite a bit, my "Civil War" is a bit silly, with Confederate units and generals (one, anyway), in my army, and with me not having one single brigade recruited in a Northern state (unless you count my Maryland militia); with only five generals in the whole Union army; with Confederates receiving unlimited supply (which I could live with) and apparently replacements as well, while essentially surrounded in places like Chicago and Milwaukee, and with me unable to recruit new troops because I get, I think, one officer per turn (it was none before). Not to mention all those river squadrons appearing on the East Coast of the United States. I guess the idea is they work their way to the Mississipi, or something, but they won't be able to get up the river to places like Cairo because of Confederate land and naval units, so my riverine forces are pretty much out of the war -- though they are coming in handy a bit, as somehow, on the last turn, a Confederate corps that had been in Massachusetts popped up on Long Island, having somehow managed to evade my "Memphis Garrison" and other Federal units in Manhattan.

When do you think this might be fixed? Still fun!

B.C. Milligan

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia

Quote Originally Posted by Remise View Post
    When do you think this might be fixed? Still fun!
    There is already a fix. Not perfect, but it fixes these inconsistencies.
    My AARs

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kensai7 View Post
    There is already a fix. Not perfect, but it fixes these inconsistencies.
    Thanks for pointing me to that link. From what I read there, the fix is dubious, and in any case, would require a restart, which I suppose we will have to do. The text about the fix doesn't say anything about some of my issues, or for that matter, why it would take 7,000 men 155 days to march from the vicinity of Albany, N.Y., to Westchester, which is a distance of under 100 miles (all in friendly territory). A Civil War army of 100,000 could easily march about 1,200 miles in the same time. I have encountered this problem numerous times in this game, where I point a force toward an adjoining province, and a couple of turns later, discover that it will take 100-150 days, or even more, to get there.

What is happening here that I am missing?

Thanks again, if anyone replies. The original AGEOD Civil War game is looking better and better, at this point.

B.C. Milligan

I found that the most common reason for that is that the stack includes things like fortress artillery which are best sent by sea or rail rather than pulled overland.

Also watch cohesion - once units run out of cohesion they slow to a crawl. At that point it is quicker to cancel the move for a turn and rest.
    Another factor is activation - if the unit has a general that goes inactive it slows down, but that won't make such a big different.
    For small units (brigades and divisions) it is generally quicker to move them individually - they have a lower command/movement penalty when on their own.
    PoN Beta

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A journey time of 150+ days from one province to an adjacent one is 99% certain to be because you have immobile fortress artillery in the stack.

The only exception is if you're somewhere like the pathless jungles of tropical Africa, when 40-60 day travel times are also commonplace.

Regarding the naval units: when the Civil War breaks out, US units in regions which go Confederate are automatically moved to the closest friendly territory. Fleets are rebased to New York, as you discovered. However, in a patch it was fixed so that ocean-going ships should go to New York but riverine vessels go to Cairo, Illinois. Maybe you're not using that version?

And yes, there are supply rules; but if Chicago has a depot, there might be enough supply stockpiled there to keep an army in supply for several turns, especially added to local production. It's also possible - I've not checked - that Chicago counts as friendly territory for Confederate units, since they are American too, and this is a civil war.
    Last edited by StephenT; 07-06-2012 at 12:54.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    A journey time of 150+ days from one province to an adjacent one is 99% certain to be because you have immobile fortress artillery in the stack.

The only exception is if you're somewhere like the pathless jungles of tropical Africa, when 40-60 day travel times are also commonplace.

Regarding the naval units: when the Civil War breaks out, US units in regions which go Confederate are automatically moved to the closest friendly territory. Fleets are rebased to New York, as you discovered. However, in a patch it was fixed so that ocean-going ships should go to New York but riverine vessels go to Cairo, Illinois. Maybe you're not using that version?

And yes, there are supply rules; but if Chicago has a depot, there might be enough supply stockpiled there to keep an army in supply for several turns, especially added to local production. It's also possible - I've not checked - that Chicago counts as friendly territory for Confederate units, since they are American too, and this is a civil war.
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think I had any fortress artillery in my forces, but will check. Not sure how Rebs would be recruiting in Boston and Chicago, but I know the game is not perfect. I am not using the patch as it appears that we are past the point where it would take effect, but we may just restart and see if that helps. Thanks again for the responses -- p.s. in my last turn, I was told it would take 200 days to get from one point to another adjacent province. I seriously doubt if all my larger armies have fortress guns with them, as I know what these look like, but I will check again. Even if they did, however, I suspect in the real world it would not take seven months to move even fortress artillery 100-150 miles.

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Fortress guns aren't just the actual artillery units with a picture of a gun on them, I believe - fortress infantry units also include artillery as an element ofthe unit, so they have the same movement rate. Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Remise View Post
    in my last turn, I was told it would take 200 days to get from one point to another adjacent province.
    This can also happen if cohesion is close to 0.
    My AARs

Garrison Infantry (be it regiment or division) dont have artillery elements. Those fortress artillery units are fixed by default (its a unit 'ability') and cannot be moved by land (not sure if transfer or rail move works, or if they can be loaded on ships)

Garrison Infantry are very slow to move, so never put them in your active groups. Check if you accidently included one. Other than that its propably low cohesion (the blue bar), and/or bad weather

Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I ask again. Playing 1.02.
    As Great Britain how do I end the Indian Rebellion and get the territory back? Sure I occupied their provinces and beat of their troops, waited some time. Now it is late 1863, should I accept their blank peace offer or offer them a peace myself?

Thanks

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Accept blank peace if you have destroyed all their troops that you can find. An event should then fire afterwards where you absorb the Mughals and get Delhi back. I think this even isn't very well described, you don't know what you need to do to get the territory back. But do what I said and you should be fine

Private
    EU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

Is there a way to get more leaders?

There is. Insert the following script in your Plugin subfolder in the Events folder. Process the turn, they should come after two turns.

Code:
    SelectFaction = $CMN
    SelectRegion = $Anglia
    StartEvent = New Generals and Admirals|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Anglia|NULL
    Actions
    SelectFaction = $GBR
      ChangeLeadersPool = 1;2
      ChangeLeadersPool = 2;2
      ChangeLeadersPool = 3;1
      ChangeLeadersPool = 12;1
      ChangeLeadersPool = 13;1
    EndEvent
    The above script will add to GBR (change the tag for your respective nation) two 1-star, two 2-star, and one 3-star Generals. As well as one 2-star and one 3-star Admiral. Don't bother with the 11 code (for 1-star Admirals) as they are not implemented in PON. If you play with a nation that doesn't have the respective grades (for example a minor) they will simply not appear.
    My AARs

Private
    EU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

What do I use for Germany?

Change GBR to GER. If you play with the second numbers, you can bring more or less Generals. Notice that unless you change the event's name it works only once, so decide and test how many new Generals/Admirals you desire before continuing.
    My AARs

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I believe that you would need to also change Anglia to whatever province contains Berlin (Brandenburg?).
    PoN Beta & Researcher
    The most significant event of the Twentieth Century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.

Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 18 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast