Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Questions / Quick answers

Quote Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
    In my first war! The vile French, for no reason, declared war mid-1870. I think I've owned them so far, however we shall see.

I have a defensive pact with Russia and Austria (as well as the Southern German States.) Did I need to ask them to honour the pact? Not sure they are at war with the warmongering French (i'd kind of prefer they kept out.)
    Defensive pact means they have CB if you are attacked.
    If you started, they don't and won't go to war.
    If you were attacked, they CAN, but don't have to.
    MJL
    The New Glory of France, a PON Beta AAR:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...a-Version-1.02

mid-70ies and attacking french sounds a lot like Ems-Dispatch So maybe not really without reason?

Are you supposed to keep the needed replacements in the F3 screen at 0 at all times? Its putting a real strain on my state funds and man.goods, especially the replacements for the navy are very expensive so I have basically ignored them but now they need 87 replacements for transport ships and the number has turned red, what does this mean, and what happens if you dont order replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by NexusFlexus View Post
    Are you supposed to keep the needed replacements in the F3 screen at 0 at all times? Its putting a real strain on my state funds and man.goods, especially the replacements for the navy are very expensive so I have basically ignored them but now they need 87 replacements for transport ships and the number has turned red, what does this mean, and what happens if you dont order replacements?
    Well, first question to ask is why do you need so many constantly?
    Are you always fighting wars? Are your ships always at sea?
    Troops and ships need breaks, in garrison, in rest mode.
    You'll probably never get to 0, unless you're at peace for a few years.
    Red means it's critical.
    If you don't order replacements, strength of unit gets weaker and weaker until, eventually, it disappears entirely. Not a good thing.
    MJL

Quote Originally Posted by montgomeryjlion View Post
    Well, first question to ask is why do you need so many constantly?
    Are you always fighting wars? Are your ships always at sea?
    Troops and ships need breaks, in garrison, in rest mode.
    You'll probably never get to 0, unless you're at peace for a few years.
    Red means it's critical.
    If you don't order replacements, strength of unit gets weaker and weaker until, eventually, it disappears entirely. Not a good thing.
    Well I've fought some rebels in France and a few colonial wars, I guess I should bring those troops home, I dont have any fleets off shore and whats wierd is that I cant order any more replacements for transport ships as I have the maximum number allowed in reserve, but Its still critical... Im bringing home a damaged fleet right now from Saigon, maybe that will solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusFlexus View Post
    Well I've fought some rebels in France and a few colonial wars, I guess I should bring those troops home, I dont have any fleets off shore and whats wierd is that I cant order any more replacements for transport ships as I have the maximum number allowed in reserve, but Its still critical... Im bringing home a damaged fleet right now from Saigon, maybe that will solve the issue.
    Could well be.
    Just look at the elements. Highlight the unit and check on the right. Red is bad.
    Also, merchant fleets use replacements. Make sure they're in Green mode.
    Don't have to be at sea to suffer.
    Continued sea voyages without a rest adds up.
    I find I need to occasionally bring merchant fleets home and let them rest up.
    Nice to have a spare one in those cases.
    MJL

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Ships only recover damage if they're in passive mode in a naval base, or a harbour of level 3 or better. So any ships sitting in the Saigon coaling station will never repair, no matter how many replacements you have in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by montgomeryjlion View Post
    Could well be.
    Just look at the elements. Highlight the unit and check on the right. Red is bad.
    Also, merchant fleets use replacements. Make sure they're in Green mode.
    Don't have to be at sea to suffer.
    Continued sea voyages without a rest adds up.
    I find I need to occasionally bring merchant fleets home and let them rest up.
    Nice to have a spare one in those cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    Ships only recover damage if they're in passive mode in a naval base, or a harbour of level 3 or better. So any ships sitting in the Saigon coaling station will never repair, no matter how many replacements you have in stock.
    Thank you both, I've put all my fleets in green mode and I'm sending home some commerce clippers for repairs. What would I do without this thread?

Erzherzog von Osterreich Habsburg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boernes View Post
    mid-70ies and attacking french sounds a lot like Ems-Dispatch So maybe not really without reason?
    Well the vile-warmongering French were put in their place.
    I'm just waiting for Prussia to become Germany (it's early 1875.)

It's tough fulfilling what my people desire the past few years, but Iv'e kept it around 31% and almost no militancy. Feeling good.
    Premier of Spain in Rise of Nations II, Vic MP game
    England in Languish Universalis V

How do I put down strikes? Playing as Italy, are Carabinieri units, or anyone else, useful to that task?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

I think that the only way to put down strikes is to raise contement. Martial law IIRC decrease militancy (what in the medium term helps to improve contement)

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

What is the best screen resolution for the game? The messages in the message log trail off the edge, and then disappear. The same thing happens when my troops move (where they are going hides behind the entrenchment/supply icons). I have 1024x768 currently.
    Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-NC View Post
    What is the best screen resolution for the game? The messages in the message log trail off the edge, and then disappear. The same thing happens when my troops move (where they are going hides behind the entrenchment/supply icons). I have 1024x768 currently.
    Much more than this - in practice the bigger the better.
    I think anything less than 900 high is going to suffer from the F screens filling the window. You get more space in the log with a wider screen resolution, and can see more units at once in a force 1280 should the minimum.
    1440x900 should be fine - but 1920x1080 is better.

I find at 1600x1200 or 1920x1080 I can have the balance window open all the time, have one of the F screens open and still see the map.
    PoN Beta

Quote Originally Posted by sagji View Post
    Much more than this - in practice the bigger the better.
    I think anything less than 900 high is going to suffer from the F screens filling the window. You get more space in the log with a wider screen resolution, and can see more units at once in a force 1280 should the minimum.
    1440x900 should be fine - but 1920x1080 is better.

I find at 1600x1200 or 1920x1080 I can have the balance window open all the time, have one of the F screens open and still see the map.
    I agree, 1920x1080 is propably the best to play PON, as you are able to see much more of the map. But obviously it is limited to your computer/monitors capabilities.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Playing 1920x1080 here and it is marvelous indeed as I can open all important commerce windows without overlap (namely: T, B, F4). However, I had an issue with some graphics. I think, though, that it happens only with the Japanese paper.

---

Unrelated question: can dominions be traded as peace treaty options as well? Could a losing Great Britain for example be forced to give up Canada, one of the first dominions it gets? Or this happens only to colonies and protectorates?
    My AARs
    -------->>> The House of Zähringen <<<--------
    -------->>> Bismarck's Spirit <<<--------

Quote Originally Posted by Kensai7 View Post
    Playing 1920x1080 here and it is marvelous indeed as I can open all important commerce windows without overlap (namely: T, B, F4). However, I had an issue with some graphics. I think, though, that it happens only with the Japanese paper.
    That is fairly minor - I find the text from some screens goes over the assigned space, usually becoming unreadable.
    PoN Beta

Not sure if asked previously, but the thread is really long so I'll ask it. It's a question concerning troop movement in peacetime. Will the weather conditions affect troop attrition when troops are moved around inside a developed country as Prussia during winter months. I mean in general that was bugging me, because GC starts in winter and I usually like to restructure my armed forces (habit that haunts me from HoI3).

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Qitbuqa View Post
    Will the weather conditions affect troop attrition when troops are moved around inside a developed country as Prussia during winter months.
    Yes. It'll probably be only very minor effects, but you will lose cohesion and possibly suffer hits as well if you move troops even in your own country. Less so ifyou use rail, but you won't have enough rail capacity to move a whole army, but just one or two corps or so at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    Yes. It'll probably be only very minor effects, but you will lose cohesion and possibly suffer hits as well if you move troops even in your own country. Less so ifyou use rail, but you won't have enough rail capacity to move a whole army, but just one or two corps or so at a time.
    What ever happened to the concept of teleportation?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Qitbuqa View Post
    What ever happened to the concept of teleportation?
    You need the relative tech (F7). Not before 2200 CE.
    My AARs
    -------->>> The House of Zähringen <<<--------
    -------->>> Bismarck's Spirit <<<--------

Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast