Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Questions / Quick answers

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

To upgrade you units, you need to make sure that you have sufficient conscripts, officers, etc in hand. If you do not then you get hit with the massive penalties you have descibed. The penalties are determined after the items are spent, but before the new ones are produced. Do not depend upon the new produced conscripts to cover your expenditure.
    PoN Beta & Researcher
    The most significant event of the Twentieth Century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.

Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bash View Post
    To upgrade you units, you need to make sure that you have sufficient conscripts, officers, etc in hand. If you do not then you get hit with the massive penalties you have descibed. The penalties are determined after the items are spent, but before the new ones are produced. Do not depend upon the new produced conscripts to cover your expenditure.

Hi Bash, and thanks for answering.

I'm fully aware that I need sufficient officers/conscripts. I've played all the way to the Indian uprising and I've put (as the game suggests) 'points' into the different unit types, GB, India, GUR BLK & Scots, I've been able to handle casualties with no problem. What I am refering to is the sudden influx of TOUSANDS of missing hits, growing by hundreds or thousands EVERY turn... I've gone from needing... say 20 hits to 12k in a couple of turns.

What saddens me is that I had the EXACT same problem 7 months ago, and mailed savegames and such to Pocus(?), and I hoped that this game-killer problem would be solved by now.

[Edit] I've included a picture of the current replacement screen, 4-5 turns ago I lacked only a few points. For reference, pretty much all fleets are in harbour and have been all game (excluding merchants and the odd transport ship)Click image for larger version

Name:	replacement problem.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	53153
    Last edited by Don Malloy; 26-04-2012 at 17:18.
    "Insanity is my only means of relaxation"

Sorry, i am not explaining myself very well. The problem is that there is a maintenance requirement of conscripts, officers, etc for all of your units. If you do not have enough of these in hand at the beginning of a turn, you get hit with massive penalties, as you have. This is not a bug, but WAD. The maintenance requirement is taken before the conscript, officers, etc are produced. You have assigned too many conscripts to your replacement screen and do not have enough in reserve to meet your maintenance requirement. You can tell this by the fact that although you are upgrading your infantry units, you are getting hit with missing naval and artillery units.
    PoN Beta & Researcher
    The most significant event of the Twentieth Century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

When you invent certain technologies (muzzle loading rifles, for instance), your troops need upgrading. This costs replacement points: lots of them. The exact number depends on your army size, but when playing as Prussia I needed to buy about 30-40 infantry chits. Remember that one replacement chit can fill dozens of 'hits' before being expended, so you certainly don't need to buy thousands of them.

Yes, it can come as a nasty shock the first time this happens to you, if you're not expecting it. But it's not a bug, and it's not game-killing. If you have a massive army, and you have to recall millions of smoothbore muskets and issue new rifles to all your troops scattered all over the world, then yes that's going to be very expensive and take a long time.

The numbers on the top of each row is not replacements, but hits. The number of hits per replacement varies by element, its 32 for infantry, 15 for cavalry.

When you research techs that improve your army then your units upgrade and in the process they takes some damage - about 10%.
    Early on there are two techs "Muzzle loaded rifles" and "Dryse needle gun" these upgrade much of your army to level 2 and 3 respectively. You can research Dryse needle gun first and it will have no effect until your units upgrade to level 2 - the net effect is that researching "Muzzle loaded rifles" often results in two upgrades one after another which consumes a huge number of replacements.

This is probably what triggered your problem. However something is making it worse.
    Each turn your army pays maintenance - there will be an entry in the messages giving the amount. You have to have the sufficient on hand to cover this or the military will take hits. It isn't sufficient to have income to cover it as the cost is taken out before the income is added. In the screen shot it shows you as having 1 conscript on hand - this means that 90% of you army won't be maintained and will take hits.

The screen shot doesn't show any units being build, or replacements bought - so either you have build replacements of regional units, or something is wrong.
    PoN Beta

Short answer to several questions:

I know that the numbers on top are hits, that that those equal 15-30 hits/point.
    Before this problem arose, I had put alot of 'reserve points' into the different caregories, Indian and African units specifically. I've build perhaps... 10-20 units in total, the African ones and a few smaller Indian ones.

I understand that the replacement of rifles will have an effect, I'm all for that. What I've experienced in India though is not a 10% reduction in unit stength, but more like strength reduced TO 10%.

In regards to maintenance: I'm not quite sure what you mean Sagji, I've run turns with alot of surplus (I always leave enough money & goods so that the numbers on the F4-menu is covered), should that not take care of the problem, and how can 2-4 turns (which is as long as this has been a problem) result in several thousand missing hits?

1 Conscript on hand, that's because I've been trying to put those available officers/conscripts into the reinforcement pools as the game suggests... is this wrong?! (think I put them into indian reinforcements, but I screenshot the GB units since it showed the largest amount of missed hits)

Sorry for the short responses, and thanks y'all for giving me feedback, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Malloy View Post
    Short answer to several questions:

I know that the numbers on top are hits, that that those equal 15-30 hits/point.
    Before this problem arose, I had put alot of 'reserve points' into the different caregories, Indian and African units specifically. I've build perhaps... 10-20 units in total, the African ones and a few smaller Indian ones.

I understand that the replacement of rifles will have an effect, I'm all for that. What I've experienced in India though is not a 10% reduction in unit stength, but more like strength reduced TO 10%.

In regards to maintenance: I'm not quite sure what you mean Sagji, I've run turns with alot of surplus (I always leave enough money & goods so that the numbers on the F4-menu is covered), should that not take care of the problem, and how can 2-4 turns (which is as long as this has been a problem) result in several thousand missing hits?

1 Conscript on hand, that's because I've been trying to put those available officers/conscripts into the reinforcement pools as the game suggests... is this wrong?! (think I put them into indian reinforcements, but I screenshot the GB units since it showed the largest amount of missed hits)

Sorry for the short responses, and thanks y'all for giving me feedback, much appreciated!
    Yes, putting all of your officers and conscripts into the reinforcement pools is where you are going wrong. In the boxes at the top of the screen, you need to have enough conscripts and officers to cover your maintenance needs. Having only 1 conscript in the box means that you are covering only 10% of this need. I seem to remember that the 1850's GBR maintenance requirement is 10, but I could be wrong. Failing to meet your needs means you get hit with serious penalties, which is what you are experiencing. That is why you are taking hits in non-infantry upgraded units, such as ships and artillery. Each turn that you miss the maintenance, the worse it gets until you end up needing thousands on replacements.
    PoN Beta & Researcher

Riiiight... so... what I need to do is go back and... basically do nothing... and all should be well (read: better). Wierd, and not very logical, but hey it's not called Paradox for nothing?

When using the F4 screen (market) for both food and common goods the pop up text says "you are selling n goods to your population, while they are buying n+1"

So, I go over one type of common good (wood), the sale of which is below 80%, increase the offer, and then the pop up text says ""you are selling n+1 goods to your population, while they are buying n+1". So, I managed to increase the supply to the level of demand.

However, in case of food, even after I increased the volume of each and every type fo food, it still says "you are selling n goods to your population, while they are buying n+1", so I was unable to increase the level supply. How can that be? What kind of food would my population desire to buy?

Any ideas?

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by nemethand View Post
    So, I go over one type of common good (wood), the sale of which is below 80%, increase the offer, and then the pop up text says ""you are selling n+1 goods to your population, while they are buying n+1". So, I managed to increase the supply to the level of demand.
    Are you sure it's "They are buying" and not "They want to buy"?

In the case of food, there are about 7 or 8 different types of foodstuff - wheat, rice, fish, etc. If the tooltip says they want 50 units of food, you can make that up out of a combination of any of the different food types. However, each individual good can't make up more than a certain percentage of te total, so you can't just provide 50 units of fish; you have to offer a mixture of goods. (I don't know the exact percentage, sorry, but you can use trial and error to increase the percentage of an item sold to them until the unit quantity purchased stops increasing when you increase the percentage).

It sounds like the demand for food is higher than your nation's entire production, in which case you have to leave it unfilled (thus getting reduced happiness), or else either increase production or import the shortfall.

Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    Are you sure it's "They are buying" and not "They want to buy"?
    Most likely you are right; I do not have the game in front of me.

In the case of food, there are about 7 or 8 different types of foodstuff - wheat, rice, fish, etc. If the tooltip says they want 50 units of food, you can make that up out of a combination of any of the different food types. However, each individual good can't make up more than a certain percentage of te total, so you can't just provide 50 units of fish; you have to offer a mixture of goods. (I don't know the exact percentage, sorry, but you can use trial and error to increase the percentage of an item sold to them until the unit quantity purchased stops increasing when you increase the percentage).
    Yes, I know. There are some in which I am already selling 80%, so cannot increase those. But, with some others, below 80%, I was able to increase the rate of offer and the volume (i.e. pieces or whatever) also increased in the particular type of food. So, I managed to put up for sale 7 rices instead of the former 6. However, the aggregate number of total food sold in the food groups did not increase (from n to n+1).

So, in effect, I think, they would still by one less than they could.

It sounds like the demand for food is higher than your nation's entire production, in which case you have to leave it unfilled (thus getting reduced happiness), or else either increase production or import the shortfall.
    No, I have both stockpiles and production which would allow me to increase sale numbers.

What I find curious is that in one group (common goods) I could increase the sale numbers, and in the other (food) I could not.

Riiiight... so... what I need to do is go back and... basically do nothing... and all should be well (read: better). Wierd, and not very logical, but hey it's not called Paradox for nothing?
    Feedback, doing nothing indeed worked. I'm still suffering 1200 missing hits on merchant fleets, but I'm not in the bood to bring them in to harbour.

Another quick question: Indian cavalry units, they're not being reinforced. It almost feels as if the're in an non-exsistant reinforcement pool? I've got 'stored' reinforcement points in every category of units, GB, Indian, BLK & Scot, so that's not the reason. Any suggestions? (I tried to disband one and build a new one, it seems as if the problem is the same, no reinforcements for Indian cav units)

Feedback, doing nothing indeed worked. I'm still suffering 1200 missing hits on merchant fleets, but I'm not in the bood to bring them in to harbour.

Another quick question: Indian cavalry units, they're not being reinforced. It almost feels as if the're in an non-exsistant reinforcement pool? I've got 'stored' reinforcement points in every category of units, GB, Indian, BLK & Scot, so that's not the reason. Any suggestions? (I tried to disband one and build a new one, it seems as if the problem is the same, no reinforcements for Indian cav units)
    Merchant Fleets are repaired in traid area, but troopships also in that pool, the need to do be in passiv mode to get repaired.

the indian cavalary units should be in the normal cavalary pool from indian units

Quote Originally Posted by SvenB1982 View Post
    Merchant Fleets are repaired in traid area, but troopships also in that pool, the need to do be in passiv mode to get repaired.

the indian cavalary units should be in the normal cavalary pool from indian units
    Cav units are not using the reinforcements, GB units are.

My merchant fleets (checked Bay of Bengal) are not being repaired, tried defensive & passive posture, same-same.

Any suggestions as to what is the problem?

Merchant fleets can need many turns and a special event(only play german version, but should like "private building fleets(+2 pool)"), have capture a french merchant fleet with only a small crew, after a few turns the have one ship more and all are repaired.
    To the cav, is the unit in a region with high loyality and military control? in my wars i had many problems with reinforcments in enemy regions, units in passiv mode get higher chance of reinforcment.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Build Capacity

I am not allowed to build a merchant ship: Insufficient build capacity - required 8 have (apparently only 3).

Appreciate information on this please.

Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    Build Capacity

I am not allowed to build a merchant ship: Insufficient build capacity - required 8 have (apparently only 3).

Appreciate information on this please.
    your harbor is to small, you need a upgrade. You can't build endless units in a region

Merchant fleets can need many turns and a special event(only play german version, but should like "private building fleets(+2 pool)"), have capture a french merchant fleet with only a small crew, after a few turns the have one ship more and all are repaired.
    To the cav, is the unit in a region with high loyality and military control? in my wars i had many problems with reinforcments in enemy regions, units in passiv mode get higher chance of reinforcment.
    There is a problem with the Indian faction units taking reinforcements. The East Indian Co units will take reinforcements, but not the later Indian units
    PoN Beta & Researcher

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bash View Post
    There is a problem with the Indian faction units taking reinforcements. The East Indian Co units will take reinforcements, but not the later Indian units
    THanks Bash!

And as to merchant fleets, I've got 20 points into reinforcements (lacking to reinforce ~1200 hits) but no units are reinforced. As mentioned before trade areas should reinforce (I've tried passige and defensive posture) but no luck.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

your harbor is to small, you need a upgrade. You can't build endless units in a region
    Thanks SvenB1982.

Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast