Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Questions / Quick answers

Quote Originally Posted by Kensai7 View Post
    I believe this is what he means "failed". I can't believe he is talking about actually waiting for 30 times for the 8 or so turns to pass while searching and then the result was NO resource whatsoever.
    By "failing" i mean that the card is free to use the next turn.

Also will use an opportunity and add one more question to the list. The question is regarding "Industrial and Commercial Options". Anyone uses them? They are expensive to try and ask the government to pass plus have a drawback in PP in case rejected coupled with the fact that benefits aren't described neither in game, nor in the v1.2 manual (or perhaps I just failed to find them).

Hover the cursor over the icons, the tooltips perfectly describe what the decrees do. And yes you should use them, for some countries they are vital

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

According to the description, Prospection Missions only succeed 25% of the time - that is, 3 out of 4 times, the unit fails after the first turn and you get to try again next turn.

However, it also says that there's a 50% chance of discovering a resource if the mission is successful. This doesn't seem to be borne out by in-game experience; unless there are hidden factors affecting the success chance and bringing it down much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Boernes View Post
    Hover the cursor over the icons, the tooltips perfectly describe what the decrees do. And yes you should use them, for some countries they are vital
    I would like to disagree with you. While tooltips for subsidies might actually be adequate in describing the effects, but tooltip for for example "Drainage of Wetlands" states the following:

This decree - if voted (in which case the state pay 200) - allows you to launch a new public works project (Drainage)
    You receive new regional decisions (Drainage) that you can play on marshy or swampy national soil. In case of rejection, -20PP loss (government loses credit)
    Quoted exactly as written in game. Aniway, while it's written what will be the outcome in case this decree will be passed, but I totally lack information what effects will that public project have if played - no numbers, no hints, nothing at all. Therefore statement "the tooltips perfectly describe what the decrees do" is at least an overstatement IMO.
    Last edited by Qitbuqa; 09-03-2012 at 17:20. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Qitbuqa View Post
    I would like to disagree with you. Aniway, while it's written what will be the outcome in case this decree will be passed, but I totally lack information what effects will that public project have if played - no numbers, no hints, nothing at all. Therefore statement "the tooltips perfectly describe what the decrees do" is at least an overstatement IMO.
    Mostly what they do is give a regional decision that you can then place at a cost.
    Drainage of wetlands - only useful if you have a swamp to drain. Drains the swamp, 25% chance of finding a resource, plus pop, education, and prestige.
    Road building - lets you build roads (improves transport efficiency from 30% to 60% so doubles production) but you probably don't have many regions without major roads, or you could build a railroad instead. Also gives pop and education.
    The others all give population, and education, and prestige - so are worth having. Urban Transportation requires you don't have railways in the region you use it in so if you have few non-railed regions might not be a good use of resources.
    PoN Beta

Quote Originally Posted by sagji View Post
    Mostly what they do is give a regional decision that you can then place at a cost.
    Drainage of wetlands - only useful if you have a swamp to drain. Drains the swamp, 25% chance of finding a resource, plus pop, education, and prestige.
    Road building - lets you build roads (improves transport efficiency from 30% to 60% so doubles production) but you probably don't have many regions without major roads, or you could build a railroad instead. Also gives pop and education.
    The others all give population, and education, and prestige - so are worth having. Urban Transportation requires you don't have railways in the region you use it in so if you have few non-railed regions might not be a good use of resources.
    Thank you, that was really helpful.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

The prospector only has a 50%? or is it 30% (can't remember the exact % right now) chance to find a resource. They don't always find one, but it appears that the % used in the game is lower than what is listed (or I have been very unlucky of late).

And there is also that whole prospector doesn't start looking thing.
    Last edited by Jim-NC; 09-03-2012 at 19:09. Reason: addition
    Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Same here, I am using as france my 5 propectors card every time and honestly I haven't found any ressource since a very long time, I suspect that despite of what is being said in the 1.2 patch notes we can play the card even if we have foun all ressources... Am not sure but it's the only explaination for what I am seing ingame, I'm playing my five card on the same region since about 4-5 ingame year and nothing found...

New Mission: Second Largest War Fleet in the World

A new mission has been assigned to you, To succeed, you must have during the next 10 years, at least 80% of the time, the second largest war fleet of the world (excluding Britain), and with permanent minimum of 30 ships.
    Potential Gain: max 500 PP - Loss: none if you fail, you just lose ground.
    Quoted exactly as it was written in the "newspaper".

Questions are the following:
    1. Does this mean I need to build 2nd largest fleet in effect or 3rd largest fleet in effect?
    2. 30 ships = 30 elements or 30 ships = 30 units?

The reason I'm asking these questions is because in case of the mission "Largest Army in Western Europe" it is clear that:
    a) you need to have largest army in Western Europe;
    b) you need to have largest army excluding Russia.

Whereas here it says "second largest war fleet excluding Britain" which is a rather vague description. Given the fact this game has typos here and there, I'm not sure should I be second after Britain or third after Britain and France/USA in order to succeed in this mission.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by armand453 View Post
    Same here, I am using as france my 5 propectors card every time and honestly I haven't found any ressource since a very long time, I suspect that despite of what is being said in the 1.2 patch notes we can play the card even if we have foun all ressources... Am not sure but it's the only explaination for what I am seing ingame, I'm playing my five card on the same region since about 4-5 ingame year and nothing found...
    This is an incredible thing that I have reported along with others many times to the devs... with only slight interest from them. The impression of never finding anything comes from a combination of a bug (still in 1.2) and of a poor balance choice:
    - The bug : you can actually play the prospection card anywhere even if there is no ressource left to discover. This leads to the impression that you never finds anything, which is normal as there might actually be nothing to find, and the game never tells you that...
    - The poor gameplay choice: the prospection card is designed (as other decisions) to fail numerous times at start (first turn 50% fail chance I think) and short time to complete, leading to massive useless micromanagement of regional decisions. IMHO it would be so much better to have a much higher chance to find but with a way longer time to do it... the average time to find would be the same (or longer).

In my "personnal mod" I changed the prospection card to have 100% chance of finding but after 12 turns and with costs multiplied by 5 (15 mgoods and 250£). This way it is more interesting and fun (less micro, more long term strategy). However I am not sure the AI can deal with it (is it in the first place ?). I hope a 1.3 patch will fix this.

Been playing Russian Empire with historical attrition - constant drain on resources to keep armed forces not "in the red" in F3 screen is hardcore. Anyone got any tips how to handle it better? I'm moving troops only during fair weather, but still my state funds and manufactured goods are lower than I'd like them to be. Waiting for St. Petersburg - Moscow railroad to ease the strain.

chugging along here with my first game as the US...I have a some questions that I hope the community can provide some guidance.

1. After winning several battles with Asante on the West African coast, they joined my forces and control of the provinces of Wa and Tamale were passed to me. The problems that these areas are still unexplored, blacked out. So I am being attacked by other tribes in these areas but cannot view them. I have sent exploration parties on several occasions with no progress.

2. I am attempting to colonize Sorong (extended SOI)but am stuck with CP 60. When can I establish a protectorate?

3. I declared war on Spain to capture Manila and San Juan and was in the process of humiliating them when my war "expired". I have had longer wars without this occurring. Can anyone explain?

Sorry for all the questions. Any insight would be much appreciated.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Do you have high enough CP in all areas in the territory/country? You may not have a high enough average.
    Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves

I believe so, GB has established a protectorate on the eastern side of the island.

Two related questions:
    1. When can I use the 'Declare Stake' colonial card? What must I and my opponent have in a region for it to work?

2. The Portuguese have something like 70% CP in Angola, yet they haven't declared a protectorate (Which links to the first question, don't they need to declare it a protectorate for me to use that card?). I have enough CP to make it my protectorate, yet it tells me "I am not the colonial owner of the region", what exactly do I have to do and how can I do it? Would I be right in guessing that I need more military control than them?
    "A lie told often enough becomes the truth"
    -Vladimir Lenin
    "Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity"
    -Karl Marx

As it is the thread for quick questions and Ageod forum did not open yet additionally that nobody made any comment ageod forum not opened yet did I get a ban in the forum about not reaching ageod forum ?
    And when will the new age game be announced ?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by baris30 View Post
    As it is the thread for quick questions and Ageod forum did not open yet additionally that nobody made any comment ageod forum not opened yet did I get a ban in the forum about not reaching ageod forum ?
    And when will the new age game be announced ?
    Cheers.
    The AGEOD forum is still down.

Do you mean Napoleon's Campaigns II?
    PoN Beta

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Qitbuqa View Post
    Been playing Russian Empire with historical attrition - constant drain on resources to keep armed forces not "in the red" in F3 screen is hardcore. Anyone got any tips how to handle it better? I'm moving troops only during fair weather, but still my state funds and manufactured goods are lower than I'd like them to be. Waiting for St. Petersburg - Moscow railroad to ease the strain.
    I turned off historical attrition, as I felt it wasn't historical at all. First, every turn you pay money, goods, officers and troops to maintain your forces in the field -- this should help balance some of the attrition a unit suffers in garrison due to disease, retirements and desertion. On the historical setting, for a major power, it is in my experience nearly impossible to maintain your forces. While one could argue that historically military forces lost far more from disease than combat (true), they also suffered neglect from their own infrastructure and government. In the ACW, units rarely received replacements -- after a certain point regiments were combined or disbanded. If one is going to make a concerted effort to keep units up to strength with replacements and the "tax" every turn, the reward should be better than that available on historical setting.

Regards,
    Feltan

Quote Originally Posted by Feltan View Post
    I turned off historical attrition, as I felt it wasn't historical at all. First, every turn you pay money, goods, officers and troops to maintain your forces in the field -- this should help balance some of the attrition a unit suffers in garrison due to disease, retirements and desertion. On the historical setting, for a major power, it is in my experience nearly impossible to maintain your forces. While one could argue that historically military forces lost far more from disease than combat (true), they also suffered neglect from their own infrastructure and government. In the ACW, units rarely received replacements -- after a certain point regiments were combined or disbanded. If one is going to make a concerted effort to keep units up to strength with replacements and the "tax" every turn, the reward should be better than that available on historical setting.

Regards,
    Feltan
    I feel the same way. I mean it's nice to have such stuff as attrition included in game, but the model that is implemented right now is hardEFFIN'core. I could understand such gruesome attrition when you are moving troops in hostile territory during winter/summer months while their communication lines are being harassed by guerrillas and brigands, but here my guys are sitting on a friendly soil and yet I'm losing almost hundred elements of infantry alone every turn and by "sitting" I mean that they aren't moved at all, they are stationary. When we take artillery attrition into consideration all manufactured goods stockpile ideas go out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by sagji View Post
    The AGEOD forum is still down.

Do you mean Napoleon's Campaigns II?
    No it should the game about "Alea iacta est" or was it "Quisque Est Barbarus Alio"

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast