Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Questions / Quick answers

In my Prussia GC I've raised a prospection expedition and I'm shipping it to Cotonou ATM. Is there anything I should know about operating such unit, since I failed to find anything about this particular unit type in the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Qitbuqa View Post
    In my Prussia GC I've raised a prospection expedition and I'm shipping it to Cotonou ATM. Is there anything I should know about operating such unit, since I failed to find anything about this particular unit type in the manual?
    A few things:
    1. It needs supply.
    2. It's chances of finding anything are fairly slim.
    MJL
    The New Glory of France, a PON Beta AAR:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...a-Version-1.02

Another question. From what I gather depot can "pull" ammunition even without port in the region (in case it's colony we are talking about), but in order to build depot, MC is required and only way of getting the said MC, is to declare war against Dahomey which currently holds 100% MC in the region of Lome. Is this correct? Otherwise I've got light infantry brigade, supply wagon unit, mission and trade post established, and also clipper fleet in the Gulf of Guinea MTB.

You can either declare war or piss them off enough that they'll declare war on you.
    Or establish enough CP over all their provinces to let you make them a protectorate.
    Good luck.
    African natives are VERY tough to fight.
    Light infantry brigade will die like flies. Better to have Colonial brigade.
    MJL

Quote Originally Posted by montgomeryjlion View Post
    You can either declare war or piss them off enough that they'll declare war on you.
    Or establish enough CP over all their provinces to let you make them a protectorate.
    Good luck.
    African natives are VERY tough to fight.
    Light infantry brigade will die like flies. Better to have Colonial brigade.
    Have 2 colonial brigades ready at full cohesion in Hamburg waiting to get shipped in as soon as my transports will get repaired. I was thinking about building fort, since I've got a supply wagon unit and will have 2 artillery elements in there once those brigades will arrive (not sure whether these are all the prequisites though). Actually I've sent light infantry brigade in to check for myself the difference in attrition scale between "European" and colonial troops. My only worry is that light infantry is considered as irregular for some reason and I'm not sure whether regular and irregulat troops have same attrition modfier.

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hint - look for provinces which are controlled by 'Nobody' (black flag). Your explorers and prospectors can establish military control there without even needing troops. The provinces with a coloured flag will be much harder to take over, as you need to be hostile to the inhabitants to get MC.

My experience with fighting in Africa in the 1850s is that European troops can defend their ground fairly well, as long as they're supplied. But as for attacking into an enemy-held province: forget it. Their cohesion will be at zero long before they reach the other province, and they'll automatically lose the battle.

Domestically I'm failing at keeping average population satisfaction at 50% or above. Haven't modified taxes from default ones, haven't made any reforms also, in addition my inflation is at 1% (not sure this affects the population satisfaction though). Some of the factories are being shut down due to lack of inputs (the one in Hosltein is shut down due to their country not willing to sign the treaty with me), but generally my economy seems to be not so terrible and I'm constantly expanding economy. Currently I'm at 1851 02 early.

Any tips on how to bring back the average satisfaction level to at least 50%?

Domestically I'm failing at keeping average population satisfaction at 50% or above. Haven't modified taxes from default ones, haven't made any reforms also, in addition my inflation is at 1% (not sure this affects the population satisfaction though). Some of the factories are being shut down due to lack of inputs (the one in Hosltein is shut down due to their country not willing to sign the treaty with me), but generally my economy seems to be not so terrible and I'm constantly expanding economy. Currently I'm at 1851 02 early.

Any tips on how to bring back the average satisfaction level to at least 50%?
    Sell domestically and keep as many factories open as possible.
    Especially luxury goods.
    Keep an eye on the item that says how much domestic happiness goes up each turn.
    Should be about .4%.
    It's normal for happiness to dip early (Late 1850-1851) as economy gets going. Once you've got enough goods, it should be fine.
    Oh, and citizens hate wars.
    MJL

Sell domestically and keep as many factories open as possible.
    Especially luxury goods.
    Keep an eye on the item that says how much domestic happiness goes up each turn.
    Should be about .4%.
    It's normal for happiness to dip early (Late 1850-1851) as economy gets going. Once you've got enough goods, it should be fine.
    Oh, and citizens hate wars.
    I've got the slider to sell domestically at 100%. Oh and BTW, my hard working Prussian folks support the war against Dahomey because they also think that paying 5 Euros to aquire Dahomey Amazons in order to make my Empire Total War game complete was unjustifyable and needs repercussions.

Also one more peculiarity - now that I'm at war with Dahomey, suddenty regions of Accra and Cotonou are dark red although different local tribes own them. In addition to that Lome is besieged and 400 man strong trade post garrison unit materialized out of nowhere. I checked adjacent regions with tradeposts and they don't have any garrisons yet.

I've got the slider to sell domestically at 100%. Oh and BTW, my hard working Prussian folks support the war against Dahomey because they also think that paying 5 Euros to aquire Dahomey Amazons in order to make my Empire Total War game complete was unjustifyable and needs repercussions.

Also one more peculiarity - now that I'm at war with Dahomey, suddenty regions of Accra and Cotonou are dark red although different local tribes own them. In addition to that Lome is besieged and 400 man strong trade post garrison unit materialized out of nowhere. I checked adjacent regions with tradeposts and they don't have any garrisons yet.
    Not slider. Check the F4 screen to make sure you're selling all goods at about 80% domestically.
    Alas, the good Prussian Volk haven't heard of Total War but have heard of mein bruder Matthias dying for the Kaiser to take some worthless land in Afrika.
    (My Great-Grand Father was a Prussian Officer who settled in SudWest Afrika so I know what it's like)
    Tribes tend to stick together. You might be at war with more than one.
    Garrisons only appear when the trading post/fort is attacked.
    MJL

Not slider. Check the F4 screen to make sure you're selling all goods at about 80% domestically.
    I can't really find where to check exactly. All I see there are 2 sliders under "Commerce and Transactions" and six sliders on the bottom right hand side of the screen.

I can't really find where to check exactly. All I see there are 2 sliders under "Commerce and Transactions" and six sliders on the bottom right hand side of the screen.
    Sorry, don't have the game with me here.
    IIRC, 2nd bottom item on F4 screen for each commodity gives a choice to right-click to increase domestic consumption by 5% or left-click to reduce.
    Useful to reduce at beginning, or when commodities are very short supply (Like coal, sometimes). Otherwise, I try to keep them all at 80%.
    MJL

Sorry, don't have the game with me here.
    IIRC, 2nd bottom item on F4 screen for each commodity gives a choice to right-click to increase domestic consumption by 5% or left-click to reduce.
    Useful to reduce at beginning, or when commodities are very short supply (Like coal, sometimes). Otherwise, I try to keep them all at 80%.
    Finally! Thaks, buddy. I was looking for this one forever. This doesn't make me look as the brightest dude on the planet of course, but the UI is not the best out there either...

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'll probably get persecuted for wanting to gain loyalty quickly here but here goes, what would any of you say is the way to gain loyalty the best over a couple of years say? I have recently gained Brunei as a protectorate and have 0% loyalty, I just need to know how other people go about gaining loyalty from having none at all. As soon as i get enough loyalty to send immigrants then i shall be sending heaps :P

Quote Originally Posted by glennbob View Post
    I'll probably get persecuted for wanting to gain loyalty quickly here but here goes, what would any of you say is the way to gain loyalty the best over a couple of years say? I have recently gained Brunei as a protectorate and have 0% loyalty, I just need to know how other people go about gaining loyalty from having none at all. As soon as i get enough loyalty to send immigrants then i shall be sending heaps :P
    No persecution needed:-)
    Honestly, getting loyalty is a VERY slow process, with schools, roads, telecommunications, and, oh, lots of immigrants. Forget being loved by the natives. Ain't gonna, didn't happen. Go to Brunei today and find all the natives who STILL love the British. Good luck.(Love their TV, love their pounds, yes, want to be a British colony again? Um, no)
    MJL

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Ah thanks a lot, so glad i wasnt persecuted Im gonna commence the slow crawl to enough loyalty to flood it with immigrants and then make it predominately british. Btw you need to start up your french AAR again, i really miss reading through it, reckon it would be amazing on 1.02 as well :P

Ah thanks a lot, so glad i wasnt persecuted Im gonna commence the slow crawl to enough loyalty to flood it with immigrants and then make it predominately british. Btw you need to start up your french AAR again, i really miss reading through it, reckon it would be amazing on 1.02 as well :P
    Alas, I've got Finals to prep and then grade, plus a book to finish, so very busy until May or so.
    Then, I'm planning on finishing up some polishing and starting an AAR with my new mods to dramatically tone down colonialism and slow down economies to make it more historical and, yes, more boring.
    MJL

Oh wow, if you need people to help you test your mods, then you can count me out :P haha, its great to have a historically accurate game but there has to be some room to manoeuvre. But to each his own i guess :P

Oh wow, if you need people to help you test your mods, then you can count me out :P haha, its great to have a historically accurate game but there has to be some room to manoeuvre. But to each his own i guess :P
    I'm not trying to recreate history. I'm trying to simulate what was feasible. Many many things could have been different. But, for a fact, colonialism could NOT have happened anywhere near as fast as it does, economic growth could NOT have happened anywhere near as fast as it does. Simply not feasible or possible historically. No way were Prussia, or Austria, or Belgium, or Sardinia going to do anything colonially beyond maybe a mission or two. Wasn't going to happen ever. Even Britain and France did almost nothing in Africa until the 1870s. For very good, very rational reasons. It wasn't a lack of will, it was far deeper than that.
    The way to make the game interesting is to add many many more events for every country as there was a lot going on domestically in Italy, in Germany, in France, and in Russia. They weren't just sitting on their hands. But it takes time to research and write those event chains. That's the real challenge.
    MJL

Well good luck to you sir, I hope you succeed in your mission on making the game more realistic and interesting In all honesty though, it is actually still nearly impossible to colonise the interior or africa for the first few years now because of lack of technology at the start, I am pretty pleased with what the recent patch has done :P

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast