So I'm doing a slight rewrite of dark continent, based on Karhukynsi's excellent miscmods (v 7.1). I know the source material, I love the idea, but I can't shake off the feeling that the end result was massively unrealistic space-filling empires.
For now it's being sort of drafted, but the additions are as follows
- Every inhabited european province gains 1/10 its vanilla starting population as natives, always rounded up. Also reduced populations of coastal med and black sea provinces by half, plus Damascus, Cairo and Bagdad. Inland middle eastern provinces also take a slight hit (20%).
- Peasant Republic, and Tribal Confederacy as a non-horde government for east coast natives, Arawak and Pueblo (I keep Sioux, Navajo and Carib as hordes)
- Cultural revisions - added 8 culture groups (all in Africa and America) and about 50 cultures (also removed 5), just because - most have tags
- Added judaism, odinism, romuva, alevism, will probably add unitarianism, coptic, jainism, and split buddhism in two or three; revised decisions, gave a "religious prestige" thing akin to gilded icons/diwani/way of tea to each (effects vary)
- Every european ethnic group gets at least one survivor nation, plus one muslim nation and one pagan nation for some.
- More daimyo, more indonesian minors, a few more native and african minors, I also broke up mamelukes and morocco. Full list below
* European countries added, by group
Basque - Navarra
French - Al-Burghund (shia), France (cathar)
Italian - Emirate of Sicily, Republic of Florence (cathar), Venetian league (alliance of Venice, Verona-Brescia, Mantua, "Pope-Patriarch of Aquilea"), Milan
South Slavic - Montenegro, Albania, Moldova (both technically moved to Byz)
West Slavic - Bohemia (cut down), Mazovia (muslim Poland)
Baltic - Kurland (Pagan)
Germanic - Teutons (in Osel), Flanders (cathar)
Scandinavian - Gotland
Celtic - Munster (sunni), Leinster, Ulster (druidic), Connaught, Cornwall, Gwynedd (pagan)
British - Northumberland, Al-Kant (sufi)
Byzantine - Corfu (catholic), Emirate of Morea (sunni, based off Naxos)
Spanish - Portugal (limited to Lisbon)
East Slavic - Muscovy
South America - Guarani, Mapuche, Tupi, Chibcha, Guajiro
Mesoamerica - Cuzcatlan, Tzintzuntzan, Miskito
North America - Salish, Tsimshian, Chumash, Powhatan, Lenape, Micmac, Hochelaga, Caddo, Tuscarora, Choctaw, Monacan, Crow
Fulani, Igbo, Dahomey, Kru, Zulu, Xhosa, Sotho, Herero, Sukuma, Fang
* Split from Egypt and Morocco
Egypt: Damascus, Aleppo, Druze Emirate, Nuer, Azande, Fur
Morocco: Fez, Marrakech
Tondo, Java, Ternate, Tidore, Buru, Sulu, Cebu, Sunda, Manilla, Maguindanao, Butuan, Bima
* Japan - still to figure out in such a way that it doesn't turn into an Ainu rampage
- I moved a lot of things in the americas, especially the plains natives, I also removed inca, instead adding the kingdom of Cuzco, an Aimara state, and a unification event (with INC as unifier tag for the andean culture group) - I'll probably make that 8 Quechua and 3-4 Aimara minors.
Will post result once I'm through with the lot.
My initial tests with european survivors is that a) they get outcolonized by the muslims and b) they spend more time killing each other than colonizing. Which more or less "according to plan."