• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New Year’s Resolutions

“… The future of this country will not be bright until we, its people, make it so! To rest on our laurels, particularly at this pivotal time in world history, with the era of conflicts at an end, would be tantamount to national suicide. We can no longer build an Empire, but must defend our great and wide lands from any who would oppose us. The days of using war to gain power have been banished, now we must depend on other roads to glory and greatness. Some say this is hard, unattainable. But I say that we have the tools: British ingenuity, British excellence, British endeavour, British reliability, British diligence, British genius and British spirit! Some tools, indeed! With these formidable allies and aids, we can reach the pinnacle of our strength, in our place, at the top of the world! Throw down your weapons and pick up your tools! The time for good, honest, British work is here for good!”​

-- David Lloyd George, speaking at an industrial estate in Glasgow, January 1937.

1937 began quietly in Britain, like most years. Lloyd George was in Wales, his birthplace, spending New Year with family. Because of this, there was little work taking place in the cabinet, with Eden filing a virtually un-noticed report at around 4:00 p.m. on New Year’s Day. The report was mostly a letter from the Dutch ambassador, explaining how his country had found a trade deal with Britain no longer viable. Eden and the ambassador were good friends, and Britain didn’t need the Dutch metal to maintain a surplus, so what few people were informed of the occurrence were fairly blasé towards it.

115660367-4.jpg

The Dutch government cancelled a deal for their metal on New Year’s Day, 1937.

Eden made the only other report of the first four days, noting down his acceptance of a Czech trade proposition. The Czech economy was leeching more rare metals than could be mined from Czech soils. Therefore, they agreed to pay a fairly good price for rare metals, which Britain was stockpiling in abundance.

115660381-4.jpg

The Czechs wanted rare materials for their industry. Britain was happy to oblige.

After his latest report, the British Foreign Minister had expected a quiet end to the first week of the year. He was to be very wrong. At midnight, the Prime Minister informed the cabinet, who had assembled in 10, Downing Street (even Sir Hugh Sinclair, who had been holidaying in Switzerland) of something particularly interesting to Ernle Chatfield, the First Sea Lord.

‘Starting today (orders have already been sent), fourteen factories in Glasgow and Newcastle will begin production on a new aircraft carrier. Industrial plants in Liverpool will begin production of the air-wings that the carrier shall hold. She has been dubbed ‘Nassau’, but this will likely be changed at a later date. The expected time of completion of the carrier is the 5th of October, 1939. I am told to expect the C.A.G.s by the 19th of September, 1938. Orders have been given that, after completion of the carrier, construction will begin on another, currently given the provisional name ‘Y2A’.’

The news was greeted by great excitement by Chatfield, satisfaction from Owen Boyd, and dismay by Deverell, who exclaimed that the army ‘needed tanks more than the navy needed carriers’. Lloyd George calmly reminded him that Britain was still building tanks and training tank crews. Gort was worried by how much the pace of upgrading the British Armed Forces would be slowed. Lloyd George replied that upgrades had been temporarily moved down the list of priorities, as the Navy would simply not be ready for a war at its current strength.

115660392-4.jpg

A new carrier is ordered, with another one to follow after its completion.

115661414-4.jpg

A section of British military production is shown, along with the distribution of British factory space, 5th of January, 1937.

KryVFx11ZJfWDoPcLrp1Zd.jpg

The scaffolding rises outside the shell of Britain’s aircraft carrier-in-waiting.

By the 11th of January, British understanding of artillery and its usage had climbed massively since the days of the Great War, making the British army ever more ready for the war that seemed increasingly improbable. Nevertheless, the state of Britain’s armed forces had always been a matter of national pride, and Lloyd George was adamant that it would stay that way.

115661768-4.jpg

British artillery knowledge had moved on considerably by the 11th of January.

attachment.php

British 25 pdr. Mk.1 gun howitzers were the pinnacle of modern technology in 1937

By the 13th, the exact same could be said of British chemical engineering and mechanical engineering. New, very high-tech chemical research centres and facilities were springing up, particularly in and around the best reservoirs of skilled young people, Oxford and Cambridge. Rolls-Royce was world renowned as a hugely reliable, luxurious and respectable brand.

115661776-4.jpg

Britain was a haven of industrial knowledge and expertise.

British coffers were bolstered by an agreement with the French on the same day. An agreement was made to export rubber, mostly from the British colony of Belize, to France, for a large amount of money. Lloyd George commended Eden’s economic knowledge, as this had been just one of many successful trade deals that the British Foreign Minister had negotiated.

115661783-4.jpg

The French struck a deal with Britain for valuable rubber.

On the 19th, Britain received some slightly worrying news. The Australian economy was faltering, with a lack of funds being the key problem. Agreements for the selling of British coal and metal were cancelled by the Australian ambassador, who rejected any offers of help from Britain.

115661786-4.jpg

The Australians took measures to stave off an economic crisis by stopping many trade agreements, two of which were with Britain.

Life continued as normal until the 28th, when Lord Gort made a presentation to the Prime Minister on the advances recently made in officer training. The new approaches that this advance would herald would have many good effects on the British army. The next day, he informed Lloyd George that an increase in officer recruitment of 7.5% could be expected from the new training regimes.

115661803-4.jpg

Officer training underwent major reforms in January, 1937.

115661821-4.jpg

An increase in officer recruitment of 7.5% was heralded by the improvements in training.

By the end of January, Britain resembled the Roman God, Janus. She had one head pointed towards rearmament and military strength, but no present reason to undergo such expansion. What good would it do Britain to ride out decades of peace with a huge army leeching resources? Her other head faced economic improvement and the disregarding of the military, but that would seem short-sighted at the best of times, and times were far from excellent. War still raged in Europe, with the Spanish Civil War not yet ended and political turmoil was bubbling up everywhere.

Lloyd George made his intent quite clear. A note, seven words long, was sent to all members of the cabinet. Lloyd George quoted a Roman, Vegetius, in Latin.

‘Si vis pacem, para bellum.’

‘If you want peace, prepare for war.’

---

Thanks for reading!

Lloyd George: And that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it!

Good to have you with us for this metaphorical British train journey. Expect delays due to leaves on the line at any minute, or maybe the crew will be on strike?

Looking at the quite comfortable manpower buffer you have there, I wonder why you're not building more land units? Clearly, the RN can only defend the Empire as far as their guns or planes can fly.

I'm still building artillery (several brigades), but I really don't have the IC to build much infantry. British troops, planes and ships are equipped with mostly vintage weapons, so a lot of IC has to go into upgrades. I'll be sure to include a production screenshot below.

croppedprodu.jpg

croppedpgxg.jpg

croppedic.jpg

The supplies always show the wrong value when I have just loaded up the game (as I did to get these screen shots), and was untouched from how it was at 23:00, 31st of January 1937. I also have seen the slightly-too-high consumer goods number, and I'll get on it when I update (because I don't play ahead, I'll probably forget...).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Whats a IST Brigade?

I thought it meant Increadibly Slow Targets :D

@ Elastic fish: do you need those CAGs already? The carrier will be finished much later anyway, you could cut back your production IC by that margin and speed up your upgrading efforts a bit.

Last edited:
do you need those CAGs already? The carrier will be finished much later anyway, you could cut back your production IC by that margin and speed up your upgrading efforts a bit.

The chance of me forgetting entirely about those CAGs if I don't build them now is very, very high, so I think it might be better to just keep 'em going, to avoid having an aircraft carrier just to look nice.

The chance of me forgetting entirely about those CAGs if I don't build them now is very, very high, so I think it might be better to just keep 'em going, to avoid having an aircraft carrier just to look nice.

well it is of course perfectly realistic ... you could argue you're merely bringing current British policy in respect of aircraft carrriers forward by a few decades?

I didn't mean that you should drop them from the construction queue, but rather allocate the ICs for them to Upgrades instead. This way you would not forget about them as they are still in the production queue. Seeing that your Art and ISTs are being finished quite soon, this wouldn't be a problem.

I'm still building artillery (several brigades), but I really don't have the IC to build much infantry. British troops, planes and ships are equipped with mostly vintage weapons, so a lot of IC has to go into upgrades.
Hope this helps!

Why are you upgrading now? You are wasting time and IC. Upgrading is cheaper if you are 2 or more tech levels behind. I forget the exact relation, but it takes a lot less IC-days overall to upgrade later. For countries that go to war in 1939, I wait until early '39 to upgrade (hopefully after researching '40 techs for at least some units). For others, USSR or USA for e.g., I wait until 1940 - even 1941.

Why are you upgrading now? You are wasting time and IC. Upgrading is cheaper if you are 2 or more tech levels behind. I forget the exact relation, but it takes a lot less IC-days overall to upgrade later. For countries that go to war in 1939, I wait until early '39 to upgrade (hopefully after researching '40 techs for at least some units). For others, USSR or USA for e.g., I wait until 1940 - even 1941.

If you look at the I.C. screenshot, you'll see I have around 3 I.C. going on upgrades, which isn't really enough to build anything new. Also, I think it would be a little gamey if Britain left its troops with really old weapons, before deciding that 1939 would be the year to upgrade them all. Even with Germany's increasing threat as the 1930s draw on, no-one would ever totally stop upgrading their military, before upgrading it all at once. It would be too big a risk.

I didn't mean that you should drop them from the construction queue, but rather allocate the ICs for them to Upgrades instead. This way you would not forget about them as they are still in the production queue.

Magic! However, will CAGs not increase my aircraft practical? I will likely expand the RAF a bit (especially light/heavy fighters) later on, so wouldn't higher practicals sooner be better?

well it is of course perfectly realistic ... you could argue you're merely bringing current British policy in respect of aircraft carrriers forward by a few decades?

Touché :D

So you're against extending the 10 year rule

In real life, the 10 year rule was supposedly abolished in 1932. Besides, I will imagine that MacDonald successfully abolished it in 1931! Hah!

*Try to conceal fact that I didn't have a clue what the 10 year rule was and had to ask wikipedia*

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANTLY!

I apologise profusely for the horrifyingly short notice, but I'm going to be on holiday for the next two weeks. I thought I had already mentioned, but sadly, I had not. This means no update for a while, sadly. Please hang in there!

S O R R Y​

Last edited:
treachery of the vilest kind! you, scoundrel!

I've always adored that pithy wacky off kilter british humour. It makes this character driven AAR very interesting.

I like how even the title drips with British attitude.

I'll be watching this one closely.