• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@misterbean

Thanks, it sure is great to be thinking up new adventures for the British Government again... :D

@Avindian

The question is, what colour is his lightsabre?

White and Green.

:D

Just to let you know im glad this isn't dead and loved your last post very funny.

EDIT: Funny I dont remember typing that.

Last edited:
The HPP Experience Part III​

Firstly, it feels good to have another one of these going up, I feel I haven’t really written enough about my actual gameplay as I would like, especially since this is supposed to be an AAR that covers both history-book, narrative and gameplay elements.

However, over my lengthy break from AAR-ing, I played a large amount of HPP Hearts of Iron games. Whilst I will not go into specifics, I am no longer as new as I was to the mod. Therefore, these updates will now see somewhat less on how I feel about the mod, but more on my gameplay, tactics and strategy. In this case, this update is also providing the month’s gameplay update.

Firstly, more infantry support tanks were deployed pretty early on in the month. I mainly chose infantry support tanks for reasons of the story, but hopefully they will be of use in North Africa or the Middle East should war come. I have three complete IST divisions of 2x infantry and 2x infantry support tanks, with no more (I think) in the works. Three tank divisions should suffice for now, although I may keep one on the backburner so as to maintain practicals (i.e. not give it the full IC it needs).

ist.jpg

My infantry support tanks are coming along nicely.

One thing I do like about Britain is all the different ministers. I feel that each one really has something of a story behind them, or, at very least, has the potential for a story. Viscount Templewood, who I appointed to become Minister of Security, is someone who I could easily cast in a lot of different roles. Because of my narrative elements, I have no choice but to develop each minister’s character. Although I don’t want to tell you specifics (you can work them out for yourselves – hah!), I try and think of different sides and vices and virtues for each member of the cabinet. I got rid of Owen Boyd for Hugh Dowding (who gives exactly the same bonus) because I felt he was a minister who I was not developing well enough. Dowding gives me a new start and is, I feel, a more interesting man.

viscounttemp.jpg

Viscount Templewood becomes Minister of Security.

One of my favourite things that HPP has done is the re-jiggery of the IC and IC laws. Replacing the flat reduction in IC with an increased consumer goods demand is a more realistic approach, in my view. I also do like the different effects of dissent. Speaking of production, here’s what’s going down.

productionsc.jpg

As you can see, the Ark Royal and the Victorious are coming along nicely. Though they won’t be ready for the commencation of any historical war, I doubt things will turn out quite as they did. I have started production of one reserve infantry division, as I am all to conscious of the hell that is low practicals. Light aircraft practicals are being sustained by CAG production, but I am aware of the gradual loss of medium and heavy air practicals. Destroyer and cruiser knowledge is also diminishing, but I can’t really cover everything. It’s always a tough call to cut upgrades so that more can be produced. Looking at the comfortable 30 IC currently sitting there, a tactical bomber wing and a destroyer flotilla or a light cruiser look like things to consider. As is always the problem with Britain, there is an awful lot to cover with not a huge amount. Should we avoid a war with Germany (at least until we can toughen up a bit), though, things may go well. I am certainly excited about the new events of HPP that will come up (I don’t know what they’ll be yet, I want them to be a surprise!)and what this could mean. Remember that our foreign policy could massively change if Eden or Churchill should come to power.

Other than what I have described, the usual smattering of technological advancements and trade deals came through this month, but nothing paticularly exciting or out of the ordinary. Whilst this is a smaller update than my history-book updates, it serves as a sort of combination-update with my narrative.

---​

Thanks for reading!

Good update. What is the year? The detachment from Europe is a good idea but eventually Germany will declare war on the allies and unless you help France in Europe then Germany will be strong enough to pop over the Channel and thinks will get very ugly. I'll be interested to see what happens.

@Comm Cody: Lloyd George would have been the best Emperor ever...

@FinnishFish: Got to love those laughs... hehehe...

@Pj Fallon: Cheers, glad you like it

@shenaniganz14: The year is 1937 (I've played up to the end of May). True, Germany may go to war, but what if Poland isn't guarenteed? What if Britain doesn't care about the Czechs? Besides, a continental war need not see Britain involved, even if it was technically at war with Germany. Historically, Germany certainly weren't strong enough to 'pop over the Channel' and the Brits lost almost all their equipment at Dunkirk. Therefore, (along with the rarity of AI invasions) I doubt I shall be successfully invaded. We shall see, though...

I'm honoured, gentlemen.

This ship isn't sinking yet!

(Nervously looks for gaping hole in waterline)

(Stands in front of large hole, water pouring around self; whistling innocently and trying to inconspicuously duct tape a torpedo hole shut.)

NB: Sorry for having stolen your sig

Summer Fun

*Author’s Note: With the world teetering on the brink of recession (except for China, whose growth seems irrepressible) and the leaders of Europe all but at each other’s throats, I thought an economic and diplomatic themed update would be in order! Bon Appétit or, perhaps more fittingly with the current situation in mind, Guten Appetit!*

By the summer of 1937, Britain had largely committed herself to a long term foreign policy. Though still hoping for peace, the government had recognised that to be seen as weak and unprepared for war would only make conflict more likely. Hoping to preserve armed neutrality until the Soviet Union was at least weakened; the armed forces as a whole were undergoing a near total rearmament and seeing expansions in all sectors. The fascist nations of the world were treated with caution, but relations were warm between Britain and the two fascist giants of Europe, Germany and Italy. Relations with Japan had always been cool since the Anglo-Japanese alliance had been discontinued in 1923, mainly due to American pressure. Now, however, with Britain distancing herself from America, diplomatic feelers were slowly being extended by both sides. On her part, though, Britain still kept a close eye over Burma and Malaya, unwilling to risk the fall of Singapore and India through Japanese aggression, however unlikely. In Europe, the French were becoming frustrated as their discreet attempts to persuade the United Kingdom to join them in putting pressure on Germany were met with absolute refusal. Elsewhere, diplomatic relations remained mostly constant. A few agitators in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Denmark and the Low Countries were trying to whip up fear of Germany, but this tiny minority was cheerfully ignored by a Europe which (mostly) treated Germany as a non-democratic, but equal partner. The healthy relations with Czechoslovakia were not harmed by the amicable discontinuation of the exchange of 270,000 tons of British coal in exchange for £10,000,000 of Czech money.

119790985-4.jpg

The Czechs halted a coal-for-cash programme, but with no animosity from either side.

While trade might have been shrinking in Europe, in other parts of the world it was springing up anew. The Middle-Eastern nation of Iraq inquired as to whether Britain would be able to supply the Iraqi people with 510,000 tons of coal to help plug its deficit. Although they offered the same price as the Czechs had paid for almost half the amount of coal, the British were anxious to help Iraq, who they had close ties to, strengthen its industry. The British government agreed to the Iraqi offer within the day.

119790998-4.jpg

Iraq wanted British coal and got it.

The Far East was also becoming a growing market for the British economy. With several emerging economies in the Republic of China and its neighbour states, the United Kingdom had several relatively industrialised nations with a major appetite for resources. The Guangxi Clique, a southern Chinese fringe state, seemed to need more coal, 730,000 tons in all. They offered £30,000,000 as payment. The British government was happy to oblige.

119791014-4.jpg

The Guangxi Clique was pleased to receive British coal.

With the Prime Minister having decided on larger Armed Forces for the foreseeable future, the military production industry was leading the country out of what remained of the Great Depression. While the factories produced more small arms, tanks, aeroplanes and even two new aircraft carriers, the theoretical research teams worked hard on new designs to keep the Army, the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy at the cutting edge of warfare. In this, they were succeeding. Government initiatives had ensured that the vast majority of the young talent of the United Kingdom was funnelled into R&D in major companies across Britain, rather than the diplomatic service or even the Secret Service. This meant that Britain was able to expand her theoretical knowledge over a broad area. On the 24th of June, a new model of tank warfare was announced. The Army was particularly pleased with the new concept of ‘Advanced Infantry Tank Warfare’, a 200 page report that suggested a tank force that worked to closely supplement the infantry. Although this idea was already the basis of Britain’s tank units, new ideas were put forward on the nature of the armaments of the tanks and their expected role. The new study hypothesised that open moving infantry and other vehicles were likely to be the main opponent of British tanks, rather than fixed positions like those of the Great War. Stalin’s Russia was said to be particularly fond of large masses of infantry conducting grand operations with huge motorised and tank formations. Only a broad, decisive assault with infantry supported by a firm tank force could hope to break through such an army.

119791025-4.jpg

A new development in military theory was the report on ‘Infantry Tank Role’.

Late June saw another development in the way Britain would fight its wars. This advancement, however, was of much greater interest to the factory owners of Britain and to its soldiers. A new set of infantry support weapons had been developed. Officially known as ‘Offensive Support Weapon Combined General Issue Five (5)’, the new package included light machine-guns and offensive grenades among other things. It was quickly decided by Lord Gort and Cyril Deverell that the new weapons would do the infantry a world of good. Orders were placed for the immediate issuing of the new support weapons. Individual unit commanders reported that their men were very pleased with the performance and reliability of the new weapons during trials.

119791045-4.jpg

A new model for offensive support weapons was delivered in late June.

Though there had been few developments of note on the world stage during June, 1937, the month had seen the finalisation of long-term British defence policy. The United Kingdom would hope to see through the decade at peace and expected to do so. However, expansionist Bolshevism and Japanese ambitions could not be wholly forgotten. Many Britons also suspected America to be harbouring dangerous ambitions under their President Roosevelt, who seemed to enjoy government power, almost on a par with the U.S.S.R., which was more than a little un-nerving to a Conservative ruled Britain.

---

Thanks for Reading!

Attachments

• 119790998-4.jpg
    119790998-4.jpg
    238,4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
@Megaherz: YEAAAAH!

@H.Appleby: I'm honoured to have you sharing my sig, good to see that there are many who want political change in the places that most need it. Also, great to have you with us!

@SSmith: I feel that I really should be able to answer this, but I haven't a clue. Does no-one tell Lloyd George anything‽ The French will probably be keen for me to lend a hand when Germany comes knocking, as will the Poles, Czechs, Danes, Lithuanians... As for Japan, if they so much as dare to touch Hong Kong or Singapore then there will be blood!

@misterbean: Technical problems have been resolved, thankfully. I, for one, blame the Communists!

Cutting Edge

David Lloyd George is sitting at his desk, dealing with some humdrum affairs of state. Suddenly, Eden bursts in, accompanied by a rather grizzled, thoroughly tanned man in the garb of a rough and ready outdoorsman; and a sweating Mexican, with a generously proportioned moustache and a colourful sombrero. He is the ambassador from the party earlier in the year.

David Lloyd George: And how can I help you gentlemen?

Tanned Stranger: I’m the Seth Efrican Embessedor

*Author’s Note: The above is a written South African accent. Read aloud for full effect*

Mexican Ambassador: ¡Y yo soy el embajador mejicano!

David Lloyd George: Ah yes, I recall.

The Mexican ambassador clearly does not recall the party earlier in the year, much to the relief of Anthony Eden.

Anthony Eden: These two men would like to import British metal, sir.

David Lloyd George: Couldn’t you have dealt with this on your own, Eden?

Anthony Eden: Both men said they wanted to speak with you, sir.

David Lloyd George: Very well. Go on then…

Seth Efrican Embessedor: Howzit! Jaapie and Schalk and Marius and I were round the Braai when I said: ‘Ja, I must go and get some metal from this Mr. Lloyd George in England for our new Braai. The boys were happy about that, because they want to make some Lekker meat on a new Braai. Now Jaapie, who’s a bit Dof, didn’t check whether your metal is good for a Braai. Sjoe, he’s a right Loskop, hey?

David Lloyd George: Yes…?

Seth Efrican Embessedor: Lekker!

The Seth Efrican Embessedor strides out with an accomplished smile.

David Lloyd George: And now you, Mr. Ambassador?

Mexican Ambassador: Pues, ¿Se puede decir me si hay reservas de acero en su país?

David Lloyd George: Yes…?

Mexican Ambassador: ¡Excelente! Gracias para su ayuda, señor.

The Mexican Ambassador walks out. He is clearly pleased with the results of his meeting.

David Lloyd George: What say we discreetly agree to never mention this meeting ever again?

Anthony Eden: Of course, sir.

---​

Cyril Deverell, John Gort, Hugh Dowding, Ernle Chatfield and David Lloyd George are standing next to assorted ‘Top Brass’ of the British Army, the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force in a field. All are eagerly peering through binoculars into the distance except for Deverell, who is holding a watch which he is watching intently.

Cyril Deverell: Number three battery will commence firing…. Now.

He is proved right when the distant thundering of artillery pieces is heard in the distance. After a few seconds, a whistling can be heard. In an almighty crescendo, the whistle turns into a roar. Twelve 25 pound artillery rounds slam into the earth twenty metres away from the assorted spectators. An ear-shattering cacophony of explosions rip through the air and everyone is thrown backwards. The generals and politicians are all uninjured, however, and are able to pick themselves up.

Ernle Chatfield: What the bloody Hell was that?!

Cyril Deverell: A demonstration of timed artillery support at its finest!

Hugh Dowding: Finest?! It practically killed us!

Cyril Deverell: I never said anything about the positioning, but the timing was perfect! As soon as we get to work on the minor problem of which direction to fire in, we’ll combine that with our perfect timing to create a formidable artillery barrage!

David Lloyd George: Are you saying that our artillery pieces are not told where to fire? That they simply fire wherever they want?

Cyril Deverell: Well when you put it that way it sounds like a bad thing!

A stunned silence descends.

Cyril Deverell: Besides, it doesn’t matter at all about where they fire, so long as they fire on time!

A longer, more stunned silence descends.

Ernle Chatfield: So are we working on improving accuracy now?

Cyril Deverell: Of course not! I’ve set our men to work on making our tanks more reliable!

David Lloyd George: Perhaps we should move on… What is next to be demonstrated?

Cyril Deverell: Ah yes, you’ll enjoy this! Fifth Company, fall in!

A company of immaculately attired, but unarmed soldiers forms up and stands at attention.

Hugh Dowding: What is this?

Cyril Deverell: We call it ‘Infantry Firepower Concentration’.

Ernle Chatfield: What is it?

Cyril Deverell: Well, by ensuring that our men have plentiful support weapons, like machine-guns and mortars, we should ensure that they can out-gun the enemy.

Hugh Dowding: But these men don’t have any weapons at all!

Cyril Deverell: Oh yes, it’s just a theory of course.

Ernle Chatfield: Then what on Earth is the point with all these soldiers?

Cyril Deverell: You need to use your imagination! They may not have weapons now, but just imagine the potential!

David Lloyd George: Alright, that’s it. Admiral Chatfield, I am assigning Deverell’s research teams to you. Do you have anywhere to assign them?

Ernle Chatfield: Yes I do, as a matter of fact. I’ve had a team conducting a study on how to improve the decision making of our commanders. These men would be a great help to the programme?

David Lloyd George: Very interesting. What sort of decisions do these commanders have to take?

Ernle Chatfield: The main focus is on when to choose Merlot and when to choose Cabernet Sauvignon.

David Lloyd George: Oh… Well, it’s probably better than whatever Deverell had in mind.

Cyril Deverell: An assault lawnmower company would greatly improve the versatility of the British Army!

---​

A dark night lies close around 10, Downing Street. From one window, light spills out into the summer air. Inside this window David Lloyd George and Anthony Eden can be seen.

Anthony Eden: And so sir, we can come to the conclusion that and Japanese attack would come through Manchuria. However, secondary attacks may come here, at Shanghai and Nanjing and here, at Guangzhou in the south.

David Lloyd George: I see. What of the international concessions in China? Would our own territory be safe?

Anthony Eden: At the present time, it seems that the Japanese will respect our borders. This also means that Hong Kong should be safe. However, if the rest of China should fall, they would likely insist on the yielding of the Shanghai concession and the Tientsin concession.

Winston Churchill: We must gather all democratic nations to fight this expansionist menace! There can be no yielding to fascism!

Anthony Eden and David Lloyd George: Winston?! How did you get in here?

Winston Churchill: The front door.

David Lloyd George peers out the window. His eyes are met by several unconscious policemen and a huge, Churchill sized hole in the wall next to the door.

David Lloyd George: Oh god…

Winston Churchill: I also found a rather nice Pinot Noir downstairs!

David Lloyd George: Not the 1927 Burgundy!

Winston Churchill: Ah yes, that was it!

Anthony Eden, who wants Winston to leave as badly as Lloyd George does, quickly comes up with a plan.

Anthony Eden: I say, Winston, old sausage, I hear there’s a stash of ’27 Pinot Noirs in Kamchatka!

Winston Churchill: I say!

Anthony Eden: What say you go off and save it from the communists!

Winston Churchill: I’ll not have Stalin touching any wine if I can help it!

Winston Churchill runs out.

David Lloyd George: Bravo, Eden.

Anthony Eden: Thank you, sir. Now, in regards to the Japanese mobilisation, I have some orders drafted for Gort to send two divisions to Hong Kong. I can also contact Dowding and get some aeroplanes sent as well.

David Lloyd George: Excellent, the Japanese must be in no doubt that we will defend our Empire. Send the troops. Send the planes too.

Anthony Eden: Yes, sir.

---​

Now, with the narrative chapter over, I need to address something that I could not earlier: goings on in the Far-East. As you have probably discovered from the main chapter, Japan has mobilised. However, there has been no declaration of war yet. This picture about sums up everything that has so far happened in Asia as a whole: not much.

119993278-4.jpg

The Far East in all its so far uneventful glory is still an awesome place.

---

Thanks For Reading!

Well, first off, Merry Christmas to all, or - as our dear friend the Mexican ambassador might put it: '¡Feliz Navidad!'.

Secondly, due to a variety of things, including, but not limited to: me going on holiday abroad; me being too full of Christmas related food to play HoI - let alone write a chapter; and tiredness, any new parts I manage to cobble together will be few and far between.

However, as you will probably all be doing similar things to me (although I doubt anyone except the Mexican ambassador will be partying quite as hard), this should not leave too much emotional scarring.

Thankyou to all and have a great Christmas and New Year!

I wish you a metal Christmas and a heavy New Year. (sorry, been listening to '80s metal)