• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

drig

First Lieutenant
36 Badges
Aug 22, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
anyone else use war subsidies? another question: does the AI ever use war subsidies? I don't recall ever receiving war subsidies, but perhaps i have and wasn't aware of it?

How is the amount granted determined? obviously it has something to do with the size of the military... i ask because the amount granted usually seems pretty small in comparison to upkeep costs for a military... and if the amount is too small to make any tangible difference then it's probably a good idea not to use them in most cases....

How i like to use them: i DOW somebody, then as the war progresses and opportunities present i call a minor ally and subsidize them as soon as possible. This seems to have the effect of encouraging militarization in my minor allies. but it's tough to know if this is a result of the subsidy itself or more related to the simple fact of being involved in a war.

I also use them for wars im not involved in, but the effects here seem even less concrete...

So, are war subsidies just throwing good money away?

Last edited:
I've received them a few times, I was NGF fighting Austria+France (not the brightest moment of my diplomacy).
Try giving them out to the enemy of a GP rival, I'm not sure if it does anything but money comes in bucketloads in this game

I like to give them to enemies of rival GP, it doesnt make a huge difference, but every day the war carries on is another day said GP is losing soldiers and paying for supplies.

I've received them a few times, I was NGF fighting Austria+France (not the brightest moment of my diplomacy).
Try giving them out to the enemy of a GP rival, I'm not sure if it does anything but money comes in bucketloads in this game

how did you know you received them? do you get a pop up box?

I like to share, especially given the fact that I get enough money to go around ;)
I usually give them to nations I'd like to stay the way they are\are planning on (if waging war)
For instance, I like to give my regards to Egypt and Mexico, and the "unnatural" in the ever waging Argentina-Chile war :p
Basically, the side I prefer over the other. Like USA over CSA most of the time (but when I get to my Mexico game...)

edit: oh, and I think you get a pop-up\icon, and you can tell in the F2 tab (where the wild sliders are) on income.

As a GP, I always subside one of the belligerent since the enemy of my enemies is my friend. It can make a huge difference since the AI tend to always be broke. I saw Spain win against France and OE win against Russia because I subsided them.

good to hear im not crazy for using them. also good to hear others see results from using them. I think this is an area paradox should expand on, particularly by allowing the funding of rebel groups in other countries. doing so could have a relation lowering effect or maybe increase the odds of the target country getting some sort of CB

Always subsidize Mexico, they need it against the onslaught of the Big Blue Blob.

As a GP, I always subside one of the belligerent since the enemy of my enemies is my friend. It can make a huge difference since the AI tend to always be broke. I saw Spain win against France and OE win against Russia because I subsided them.

i always subsidise china, but when i do china holds on and eventually loses 3-4 provinces to UK, tho when i dont subsidise it is usually only one province

@OP, ive never gotten warsubsidies, tho i have never really needed them. I usually subsidise the weaker side and force the gp to a white peace, tho very often asside from china those wars end up as a white peace, the AI doesnt take advantage of the extra finance to take a province

Might have been just coincidence, but in a French-Austrian war, I suspected Austria would have no chance against the huge french mobilization pool. Being more a fan of Austria than of France in that game (France attacked me early on), I subsidised Austria and they went from losing the war slightly, to winning the war and even acquiring new territories.