• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the next war with the USA take the Dakotas and/or Illinois. If you take both those regions, you will cut the USA in three. If you cannot take Illinois yet, just keep taking them down bit by bit until you have pushed the front back to Ilinois. This will give you a single front to focus on instead of three.

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the map. Personally, I would love to see "Texas has annexed the USA" at some point; it would be delightfully absurd.

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the map. Personally, I would love to see "Texas has annexed the USA" at some point; it would be delightfully absurd.

I don't know if I will have time to completly annex them, but who knows. I want to get my military tech up a bit more before I throw infamy out the window.

Chapter 11: So We Meet Again...

For the past 6 or 7 years the game has been very peaceful. No real rebel problems, No stressful war with a global power, a booming industry, and nice classical music playing along with the sound effects of factories opening and railroads being completed. After a while though it starts to make me feel like I'm not accomplishing much. My truce with the U.S. expired about a year ago however they don't seem to be in any hurry to go to war with me again (smart). My infamy limit was back under 15 so I could've very well invaded the U.S. myself to take a region but I still probably wouldn't get much better then a region like Iowa or Wyoming and I figured those regions weren't worth the hit.

After the dust had settled between the CSA and Mexico in their race for the #8 spot Mexico had come out on top. This worked out perfectly for me since it kept the CSA from attacking me but also opened up the door to invade Mexico and take a state, particularly Nevada-Utah. At first I wanted to go for Sonora since I wanted to get a region that the U.S. didn't have a core on so I could remove their restore order CB, then again though, they still have several acquire cores on me so that might not have done much. I decide this is the time to take that little Mexican enclave for the sake of nice looking borders.

v211.png

Brigade wise, Mexico is only a little bit weaker then me, when mobilized though they have a slight numbers advantage. Technology wise, Mexico is about as far back as I was near the start of the game. My troops roll into Nevada-Utah no problem and wipe out any Mexicans there. In fact I'm able to leave a good amount of my troops back off the front line since the Mexican's are such pushovers. Still I need a war score of about 81 to take the state, so I need to occupy at least a couple real Mexican regions. I figure I can get the cost down to about 40-50 by taking regions in Nevada-Utah and the occupation of those regions will net me maybe 10% war score so I figure I can just win this war by occupying all there border regions and N-U, along with the 25% from battles.

There really wasn't much strategy involved in this war other then head south and conquer. Unlike with the U.S. where the defender won most battles unless they were terribly outgunned. I could attack Mexico with even numbers and still obliterate their army. I do try to hold back some though to save some of my men, that way in case of another big war with the U.S. I still have man power. I send a few troops into Mexico to try and take some regions in the Baja Peninsula and over by Matamoras on the gulf coast. Trying to block Mexico from coming down the Baja Peninsula to attack my occupying armies, I send an army to Nogales where a the first major battle of the war ensues.

v25.png

I also start to use my new Navy to blockade both coasts of Mexico. Mexico does have a larger navy than me, but its mostly man o wars against my Ironclads, and their entire navy is on the west coast so I focus more on blockading the gulf coast, with only a few regions blockaded on the west. Rather than just fight my weaker navy out west, the Mexicans decided to travel all the way around South America to fight my larger fleet. They get there just in time to be crushed by my ironclad navy about a week before the war ends. If only the Panama Canal would've been built.

Once I took out the Mexican armies in Nevada-Utah I was able to send more of my troops down south to fight. The Mexicans had mobilized their brigades and since I kept some of my troops back, they had a good numbers advantage on me. Luckily for me though, not only were they weak, but they were scattered. A couple armies broke through my lines, some tried to take San Diego, some tried to take Denver, and some tried to kick me out of N-U. None of them were ever successful and my armies were easily able to wipe them out. Things became even easier once the second battle in Nogales was finished as it freed up a lot of my armies and pretty much ended things for Mexico. When this battle started out I was down about 15K to 115K but I got some reinforcements later on to turn the tide in my favor. The battle went on for a couple months and the Mexicans came close to winning early on but in the end I got the key win.

v26w.png

After that it was mostly just me mopping up pockets of Mexican armies that had gotten across my lines and finishing up my occupation of Nevada-Utah. Soon I had every region occupied in Nevada-Utah occupied and the cost of getting the region was now only 42. Thanks to my blockade and taking about 6 mexican provinces my war score was now 43 and I was able to finally take Nevada-Utah.

v27.png

v28.png

It's kind of weird seeing that big, I think I liked it better when the text was more to the north and right above Texas but I guess I can get used to this. As it turns out Nevada-Utah really isn't that great of a region, at least not right now. It's population is only a bit higher than Nebraska's even with 6 provinces and taking the region dropped my countries literacy rate a whole 2%. Still it's nice to have these borders and the region gives me a much shorter route to move troops from the north west out to the eastern half of the country. This could give me a good edge over the U.S. if we go to war again, even though it's a couple of new regions to defend.

Mexico was pretty f'ed up in the war. They lost a good chunk of their brigades, some of which were mobilized. They also fell about 50 points behind the CSA by the end of the war. They are still holding on to GP status but they will lose it pretty quick and I don't see them jumping ahead of the CSA anytime soon. Rather than sphere them again I think I might just try to keep them from allying with, or being sphered by the, USA or CSA. This way I might get a border dispute CB against them and I can pick up another region that isn't cored by the USA. I'm somewhat expecting to be attacked by the CSA soon as they will no longer be in my sphere. I have a huge advantage in the size of my military but I don't know how much of a deterrent that will be. The U.S. is also a constant threat, even though they've never bothered to rebuild their armies after their last containment. It seems they are satisfied with mobilized forces.

Politically I finally got a new party into power and my country went from being pacifist to jingoist. Just a few months into the change and my brigade limit is already up to 110 from 95. That's still less than the U.S. when they mobilize but I should be able to match their numbers soon if this keeps up. I've also got a lot of parties in my country now, all of them same to get about the same amount of votes to.

v210.png

Soon after the war mechanized tools are invented which gave me the ability to build the Panama Canal. The Americans built the Suez Canal a couple of months later.

v29o.png

Here is what Europe looks like in case you were wondering.

v25.png

Nothing too out of the ordinary. Scotland did gain independence for a brief while about 30 years ago and Italy did manage to form but nothing crazy has happened over there yet. Africa is being blobbed by France right now who pretty much controls the entire western part except for some regions in Morocco. Also check out the new great power standings.

v26.png

Industrially I'm still behind them but I'm busting up the industrial tech tree right now so I might pass them there in a couple of years. We will probably go to war before then though. Just have to wait and see how things turn out.

Is the new political party going to start Manifest Destiny from west to east :p

Chapter 12: The Potato War

Things were pretty peaceful until I got another border incident event which gave me an acquire state CB on the United States. I spend some time looking over their regions and even though I wanted to take Iowa at first, Idaho is starting to look like a much better target. First off Idaho is only slightly less populated then Illinois, with a good 500k people, still a bit less then Illinois but it's quite a bit more then I would get from Iowa or South Dakota.

v211n.png

Second off, it's hard for the U.S. to defend so I can easily occupy it. In almost every war I fought with the U.S. I am able to occupy some, if not all of Idaho. I should be able to occupy the region and get the war score down pretty quickly. I'm not too concerned about splitting the U.S. in half anymore since they usually just get the bulk of their troops from mobilization (they currently only have 10 brigades that weren't mobilized). This means that even if I did split them in half, they would still get some brigades out west which would cause me trouble. Idaho also produces them with 7 mobilized brigades so taking Idaho would hurt them there to. The only downside to Idaho is that it gives me another border region with the U.K. to have to defend, but I don't think this will be too big a deal since they won't attack unless I go over the infamy limit. I think I'm going to wait until the next war with the U.S. to start all out conquering, that way the U.S. will be even weaker and I will be strong enough to fight off both the U.S. and the U.K. at the same time if need be.

As I get my troops into position I decide to go ahead and mobilize to try and get a leg up on the U.S. since I know they are going to mobilize about 140 brigades on top of their original 9. On the other hand, I have about 100 brigades right now and I can mobilize 41 more, so we're about even. If we do go to war I think I will have the advantage since I've managed to beat them in the past with inferior numbers and a much lower supply limit. I think it should be easier when we are about evenly matched numbers wise. Apparently mobilizing sacred some of my neighbors though as the CSA, Mexico, and the U.S. all followed suit. Then all of a sudden the ominous music starts playing.

v212.png

Works for me I guess, if they want Missouri come try and take it. The great thing about this is my CB doesn't expire until October so I will be able to fight for a while before picking a state. If it goes like all my other wars I can take Idaho, if I am able to push the Americans back I may be able to get Illinois instead. First though, I have to win the war.

My strategy this time is a bit different since I now control Nevada-Utah. I keep a good chunk of my armies over there and wait for their mobilized solders to attack. They eventually attack Carson city and I am able to cut off their retreat so that army gets wiped out, similar to what I've done to their western army in earlier wars. After that I begin to occupy Idaho and Wyoming while keeping some of my armies back there to help defend the occupiers. My increase supply limit from researching the chemistry/electricity techs allows me to keep more brigades on the same region without eating attrition so not only are they better able to defend themselves, but they handle attrition much better.

The rest of my army I keep in Nebraska and Missouri along my border regions. As it has been in the past the U.S. loves to attack these regions even though they get their butts kicked every time. If I want Illinois I will eventually have to cross the Mississippi but I'm gonna wait for now and give my armies out west a chance to grab some land.

The war starts off good, but not as good as I had hoped. I'm able to win just about every defensive battle like normal early on, but for some reason as the war winds on, I often wind up taking the same, if not more, amount of casualties as the Americans. As is often the case, I realized this war with the U.S. won't be as easy as I thought.

v214y.png

The U.S. had upgraded their forts to level 3 and apparently these regions take a lot longer to occupy than regions with level 2 forts. After learning this I decided to just go with Idaho, since by now I knew two things, one I won't wipe out the American military, and two, Illinois would take way long for me to occupy. My forces in Idaho were having some luck though.

v217.png

About 6 months in and things aren't looking too good for me. While I've managed to win most every battle, my forces are taking a beating and I'm still only halfway done occupying Idaho. I've gotten the war score to 20 and I only needed 40 to get Idaho, I figure if I can just occupy those three regions I can get the requirement down to 20 and by then I would have the war score raised a bit and the Americans would be willing to deal. My only hope is that they've been beat up as much as I have and can't continue to fight. I am starting to build new brigades who are helping me out a little but still the war seems like a stalemate in which both sides are losing. I did see this though which gave me some hope.

v215.png

My South American spherlings have somehow managed to cross the Caribbean, despite the American navy patrolling the area, and have begun to occupy Florida. They don't do much other then take Tampa but at least they're trying.

By about March I was just stressed out and getting ticked off at the game because I didn't seem to be getting any edge over the Americans. I decided to use a very unorthodox strategy and just put the game on full speed and go on auto pilot for about 3 months. Surprisingly I was actually better off at the end of those three months, maybe it was because some of my troops finished building or I won a long battle but whatever it was I had new hope in the war.

Later in the year things still looked the same, I was still a couple months away from taking Idaho and the Americans had breached my lines and started taking Grand Junction and Alliance. I managed to defeat them from advancing further into Nebraska but I let them keep the regions they took since I don't want to waste any more of my men in an offensive that wouldn't gain me anything.

v218.png

Near the end of the year I just about have Idaho conquered. The U.S. though, in a desperate attempt to kick me out of Idaho then sends one of their super stacks with 70K troops into Coeur D' Alene, I then send one of my larger armies into the region and then try and circle the region so that the American army couldn't retreat and would just be wiped out.

v219.png

The plan works and just like that 70 American brigades (about half their army) is gone. If it weren't for the fact that I had already lost so many troops I would probably be able to push on and take more land but by now I had already picked Idaho (I had to pick several months back) so going for Illinois would be foolish, plus the Americans were rebuilding brigades so I don't think I could have gotten it anyway. For the next few months there really aren't many battles. There is the occasional skirmish but our border is just way too long for the amount of solders each side has left so it's kind of peaceful, and once again I just say f it and put the game on full speed. By April the Americans attack Coeur D' Alene again, right before I finished the occupation. I manage to scare them off though by threatening to send in my big army and they retreat.

About a week later Coeur D' Alene falls and I control Idaho. My war score is about 28-29 and the cost of Idaho is now 21. A couple days later I get a peace offer from the U.S. agreeing to give up Idaho.

v220.png

v221.png

It was a costly war but there were several upsides. Obviously I picked up Idaho but I also discovered combustible engines and airplanes were invented. I am going to focus on Army techs right now since I will be going to war with the U.S. once the truce expires, and I may also go to war with someone else before then if I think I'm ready to bust over the infamy limit. Before I jump over the infamy limit though I have to be prepared to deal with one major infamy who likes to police the world, Great Britain. I've still got about 38 years left in the game so hopefully I can get a permanent edge over the U.S. by then.

Spherlings, lawl. I have to remember that.

Chapter 13: Is That Snow, In Texas!?

v216.png

I really don't know why the U.K. wanted Washington so bad since they didn't have a core on it and it's kind of hard for them to get to but I figured it would be an easy fight. While Britian has a huge army, only so much of it is devoted to Canada, and they don't like to send reinforcements from outside of the continent so I actually had a slight numbers advantage without mobilizing which became even greater as the war went on.

While I now had another region that bordered Canada to defend my border was still short enough for me to hold. The U.K. started off bytrying to take Spokane but I was able to hold them off with relative ease. They then, made a bold move to try and take Seattle, I was able to just dominate them while at the same time occupying a few of their Canadian border regions which forced them to retreat further south which allowed me to surround them and wipe them out.

v224.png

After that my forces continued to occupy regions in southern British Columbia with relative ease. Eventually though, the army that Britain kept on Canada's east coast made it across the country and I had a fight with them in Vancouver. I won again easily and wiped out the rest of their brigades. After that most of the renaming British Army in Canada was weak and scattered. They did start to rebuild some brigades but they never caused me much trouble.

v225.png

v226.png

The rest of the war was pretty much just occupying territory, but I did discover tanks a few months later. Sadly, there are no fuel factories yet so I can't build any, ahh well.

v227.png

By now I've pretty much taken all of Southern British Columbia (this state is huge). I manage to corner the few remaining British Armies in Altin and easily wipe them out.

v228.png

I then go on to occupy those provinces but before I finished, the British had finished rebuilding some brigades and started to reoccupy some regions. They weren't strong enough to beat my armies but they managed to annoy me. By now, though I had taken all but one or two regions of British Columbia and had gotten my war score up high enough. I set my war goal to acquire British Columbia, which puts me over the infamy limit but I don't really care anymore since all my neighbors already have a CB against me and the powers in Europe never bother coming over here to fight. It doesn't take long though for France to declare war on me. They do cause some trouble for my spheres but nothing major.

v229.png

Less then a month later I get Britain to agree to hand over British Colombia. The region is a good pickup for me as it has a large population thats almost as big as my most populous state. It also opens up the door for me to take Yukon and Alaska from the United States later in the game. I really don't like what it did to the letters in Texas though, they just seem weird up being up there in Washington and Canada. Plus it's getting hard for me to screen shot my entire country at once.

v230.png

Short chapter I know, but trust me, stuff hits the fan in the next one.

The British Empire now? You're mad! Well maybe not, seems like Texas is invincible against everyone.

Chapter 14: This Is Why You Don't Mess With Texas

v237.png

Literally, less than two months after the end of my war with Great Britain, my truce with the U.S. expires and they immediately declare war. Luckily my scientists have just discovered bolt action rifles and my army now has new uniforms.

v232.png

The Americans still heavily outgun me and can mobilize three times ad many brigades as I can so I know I'm going to fall back at the start of the war. My strategy at first is to use terrain to my advantage. I station several armies in Idaho, which is now under my control, and with the defensive aid of the mountains they are able to turn back every American attack. I also send some armies out into Montana and Wyoming as I think I might take those regions if I can manage this war which may prove difficult, at the start I wasn't even sure if I could get a white peace.

v238.png

Out in the Midwest it's a different story. Without any mountains for defensive aid, my armies don't stand much a chance against the sheer number of Americans. I pull my forces out of Missouri and try to set up a new defensive line through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado. I will still challenge the Americans in Kansas and I did challenge them in Nebraska for a brief while, but I need to let them tire themselves out a little before I can take them out. I did get a nice war score victory in Alliance but it didn't help that I lost as many troops as the Americans.

v239d.png

Another front is brewing out in the very northwest. Up here it's mostly me fighting against America's mobilized troops from Alaska and the Northwest territories. I figure if I find a way to wipe out these armies Alaska and the Northwest territories would be open for me to take, not that I would really want them though. I eventually get the Americans to attack me in Atlin and despite being outnumbered I am able to break off just enough troops to surround the Americans and squeak out a victory which leaves Alaska and the northwest territories open for me to take without any resistance.

After seeing me wipe out their armies in Alaska the Americans then send a 70 something brigade army up through Idaho in an attempt to use that army to wipe out my smaller stacks which were occupying parts of Alaska. I pull my troops out of Idaho since I knew fighting the best case scenario of me fighting them there was my troops win a close battle. I lead them into Kelowna, British Columbia where I leave a couple brigades. The Americans quickly attack thinking it will be an easy fight, however I soon send in my large army and proceed to cut off their retreat. Since we are back in my territory the Americans don't really try to attack one of my smaller stacks surrounding the huge battle. A few more American brigades do try to enter the battle and I adjust my wall to let them in. I figure I'm gonna win and wipe out the army so if the U.S. wants to send more brigades that's fine by me. Eventually I win and the Americans lose a good chunk of their brigades, as well as open up the western front for me. At the start of the war it was something like 450-500 brigade against my 260 but I've managed to get the U.S. down to about 350 and was about to take out a few more.

I pretty much gave Nebraska and Missouri to the Americans. Although throughout the entire war the Americans never managed to occupy a single region in Nebraska and at their deepest were only able to take two regions in both Missouri and Kansas as well as Denver. They did occupy Omaha but for some reason they pulled off the occupation at 99%. The real turning point of the war happened in Malden though, despite me pulling troops out of the region I left a few troops there in what evolved to be a huge battle. The battle went on for months and despite the fact I was clearly winning, the U.S. kept sending more and more brigades into the meat grinder. After a few months I manage to get the brigade that wiped out the yanks in British Columbia to back up my guys in Malden and surround the region. The Americans have pulled even in the battle so I have to stretch my wall thin and send in some of my armies to help down there. The U.S. tries to break my wall several times but my armies use the terrain to their advantage and hold them off. In the end I finally beat the Americans in Malden and they lose a whopping 200 brigades, leaving them with only about 120 to my 260. For some reason my screen cap didn't save but the final results were pretty amazing, I lost about 40K troops to their 200K and I also got a war score bonus of 35%, although since I already reached the battle cap of 25 this really didn't do anything.

I now have numbers on the U.S. and I make sure to use that to my advantage. I hunt down the remaining stacks of American troops and proceed to surround them and defeat them in battle (I've found this strategy is key in defeating larger armies). It doesn't take long for me to wipe out their armies and then this happens.

v210.png

Things go from bad to worse for the U.S. as the CSA now decides this would be a good time to take West Virginia. It's not really an important region for the U.S. as it only has two regions but they do wind up losing it since they really have no armies left to fight the CSA. This may pose a problem for me if the CSA goes for Ohio or Pennsylvania next since that would cut me off from the eastern half of the U.S. but I have a feeling they ill try to get Maryland or Washington before that (if I don't go to war with the CSA before then). It also might further weaken the U.S. for me if they decide to go to war with the CSA over West Virginia, their truce with the CSA expires a few months before their truce expires with me so by the time our truce expires they may have all their troops out east and beat up pretty bad while my troops can just roll in.

Back in the current war though my forces continue to fight push east moving through Ohio. By now the U.S. doesn't really have any brigades left so I demobilize and just continue to occupy.

v212.png

I begin to set my war goals to see how much I can take. At first I declared the Yukon and Alaska as my goals since I wanted to keep the U.S. from posing a threat to my regions up north. Then I realize I can squeeze in Wyoming and Montana to give me total control of the Rockies. This would require about a 73 war score and I was at 60 something. I decided though, since I was going to make it all the way to the east coast to just demand Illinois to which would require about a 100% war score. I keep marching east and eventually I reach the east coast where Nicaragua was already occupying regions. By this time the U.S. is willing to deal.

v215.png

v217.png

The annex Liberia goal was added by Nicaragua, I should have honored it for them since I realized they did completely conquer Liberia and I could have gotten peace with just Liberia instead of the U.S. (I think). I didn't though since I thought it would be worthless to me and that it would keep me from annexing the regions I demanded. The war with France was getting annoying, they attacked some of the people in my sphere and got the battle score up, then they made peace with those countries and kept sending me peace offers trying to contain me. I eventually just send a few troops down into Central America to push the war score back to 0 and get a white peace but next time I think I might be more aggressive.

This is what my country looks like after the peace treaty.

v218.png

My infamy is now up to 75 and I have no desire to slow down. I don't know how strong the U.S. will be in 5 years when we will go to war again but I do know that Texas will grow even larger.

Last edited:
I feel like such a coward for running like a scared little girl when the UK invaded the US in one of my first Vicky 2 games. Then again, I did have a much longer border to defend.

Very nice work; have you considered extending the end date? You have a real chance of taking the entirety of the Western Hemisphere if things proceed apace.

I feel like such a coward for running like a scared little girl when the UK invaded the US in one of my first Vicky 2 games. Then again, I did have a much longer border to defend.

Very nice work; have you considered extending the end date? You have a real chance of taking the entirety of the Western Hemisphere if things proceed apace.

I like this idea of extending the end date if it is possible. If you can, I say do it. If you do, who know's what you could conquer. I think conquest of the USA and CSA might not then be outside the realm of possibility. I bet the Americans are now REALLY kicking themselves considering their would not be an independent Texas if it were not for them.

Yeah, if the war was going so badly that Nicaraguan and Texan troops were storming Massachusetts unopposed...I'd finally seek peace too.

Although I don't see how anyone could not seek peace after losing 200,000 in a single battle.

And still, the word Texas outside herself.