• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Three: Third Phase Warfare - Peace at Last?

Chapter 3: Third Phase Warfare - Peace at last ?
1420-1435

We begin our days of 1421 with more war, we finaly have a chance to take the province to our north without being bombarded by other people, they have been bombarding us with spies... We have our Reconquest CB and head out. Brabant decided to butt in aswell and that is actually a good thing. Their country is in the between us and our newly released vassals Holland. If we crush them we can vassalize them aswell, that is something that I'm seriously looking into.

manypeoplebugsintothisw.png

This war starts out bad with huge troop loses, however, Venice supports us with a monthly 4.05 ducats a month for for a year. On the 20th of May 1422 Aarchen gives up and is annexed.

siegesuccesfull.png

aachen.png

The war however continue to rage, we are seriously looking into Brabrant now. We end up deciding that we're going for it, we are going to take out Brabant as well. The plan is to vassalize them and annex them later. We succeed in most of our battles and several of the combatants that we ain't interested in leaves early with white peace or for a small payment of ducats.

decisivebattlebreda.png

Alsace and Brabant loses the war in the end and on Sunday the 19th October 1424 we are finaly back at peace. Our now 20.000 man army is replaced with a 7.000 as we can't afford upkeep.

peacenegotiations.png

A sad event happened on the Monday 27th of April 1425, our beloved king died and was replaced by a far worse regent. We all feel sad, hopefully she dies soon, lets just get a Heir first.

newruler.png

The thing that annoys me is that the freakin emperor decides that he shall have his share of our lands, some weird event makes my lands hard to hold and I give them up, guess who gets half of them, Austria, the HRE himself. I don't know why they have more of a claim on them than I do as they ain't cores for them either.. Well.. atleast my infamity goes down way faster than before.

emperorosravages.png

Well, little is happening as I am saving up cash, making alliances and royal marriages and such, the years simply fly by. However, It's not long untill I can start annexing my vassals, hopefully Austria stays away. I forgot to take a SS of my diplomatic standing in Europe, you have my sincerest apologies, as a little uhm.. consolation, I give you the maps of Switzerland, Burgundy, Austria and Finland as requested.

Sweden/Finland
swedent.png

Switzerland
switzerlandu.png

Burgundy
burgundy.png

Austria
austriay.png

Thanks for reading, any requests? Or advice?

Geez, what happened to Austria. I say, get some allies that can handle their allies and distract them and then take back those provinces. Do you still have Brandenburg and Milan in a PU. If so, call them into the war. If you can, try to get an alliance with Bohemia and Poland, unless you already have an alliance with them. You should be able to handle the core problem now that it will only be 1 uncored HRE provinces under your control and those two provinces are very strategically important. After you take them, annex or vassalize Switzerland by either attacking and vassalizing them at first opportunity or waiting until Bresgau and Lotharingan core and then attacking and annexing them. That way, you will have a connection with Milan and if and when you inherit, you will have a large empire stretching along the frontier. You really need to build up as big an empire as possible, as you really do not want France knocking on your door. In that same vein, do NOT take any province that has a French core on it, they will attack you faster then you can say "hello Frenchie". Then, after you have taken these provinces, wait for them to core and focus on keeping relations with your personal union states until you inherit. When you do, or when you feel up to it, maybe go after Burgundy. As for why Austria got the provinces, it is a new event added in the game. The emperor can, at any time, request non-core HRE provinces from a member state. If you accept, the province usually passes to control of the emperor IIRC

Geez, what happened to Austria. I say, get some allies that can handle their allies and distract them and then take back those provinces. Do you still have Brandenburg and Milan in a PU. If so, call them into the war. If you can, try to get an alliance with Bohemia and Poland, unless you already have an alliance with them. You should be able to handle the core problem now that it will only be 1 uncored HRE provinces under your control and those two provinces are very strategically important. After you take them, annex or vassalize Switzerland by either attacking and vassalizing them at first opportunity or waiting until Bresgau and Lotharingan core and then attacking and annexing them. That way, you will have a connection with Milan and if and when you inherit, you will have a large empire stretching along the frontier. You really need to build up as big an empire as possible, as you really do not want France knocking on your door. In that same vein, do NOT take any province that has a French core on it, they will attack you faster then you can say "hello Frenchie". Then, after you have taken these provinces, wait for them to core and focus on keeping relations with your personal union states until you inherit. When you do, or when you feel up to it, maybe go after Burgundy. As for why Austria got the provinces, it is a new event added in the game. The emperor can, at any time, request non-core HRE provinces from a member state. If you accept, the province usually passes to control of the emperor IIRC

The main problem is that Austria has HRE almost 100% of the time, and I really don't like the negative bonuses of denying releases, believe me I've considered several times to knock on their door and forcefully vassalize them to prevent that from happening again. Only the Austrian HRE has demanded release of provinces. Milan and Brandenburg are still in PU's.

As for the French they have been nice against me so far, and we have a 200 relation, I want to keep it that way. They don't want to be allies though.

I think it'd been better if you released Hainaut and sold Namur to them. On the south, if you had the administrators, you could potentially have removed Lorraine's core on Metz and sold your other illegal province to them. Only possible if Metz was in your national focus though. Something to keep in mind for future reference.

Or, you know, defy the Emperor.

The main problem is that Austria has HRE almost 100% of the time, and I really don't like the negative bonuses of denying releases, believe me I've considered several times to knock on their door and forcefully vassalize them to prevent that from happening again. Only the Austrian HRE has demanded release of provinces. Milan and Brandenburg are still in PU's.

As for the French they have been nice against me so far, and we have a 200 relation, I want to keep it that way. They don't want to be allies though.

That is a good idea to vasalize them, but the first thing you want is your provinces back. Once you get that, if you have the infamy and warscore, vassalize. Those provinces are important, as the only other way to get a link to Milan via Switzerland is to conquer Burgundy, which is a roundabout route and might not be that viable. As for the French, as long as you have 200 relations and do not own any of their cores, they should leave you alone I think. only the HRE can request provinces via the Formal Request event and they almost always fall to the Emperors control afterwards. Focus on inheriting Brandenburg and Milan. Do not let either one break the union if you can help it, which they will do on your rulers death if their relations with you are negative.

Nice going man. Adding loads of territory. Burgundy is not a problem it seems. How evil is france towards you?

France hasn't been evil to me at all :)

I think it'd been better if you released Hainaut and sold Namur to them. On the south, if you had the administrators, you could potentially have removed Lorraine's core on Metz and sold your other illegal province to them. Only possible if Metz was in your national focus though. Something to keep in mind for future reference.

Or, you know, defy the Emperor.

Yeah, well I didn't think of that, could you enlighten me what national focus is ?

For those interested the next update will probably be tommorow evening I have an exam and has to use today for studying..

NF is the little crown you can select when you have one of your provinces' window open (next to 'relocate capital'). It provides benefits to the province and all adjacent provinces: more population growth, less revolt risk, higher income, ... It is also required for most province decisions, such as cultural assimilation, expand the bureaucracy etc. One of the decisions allows you to remove all cores of non-existing nations from the province, but requires 2 bureaucrats. I think it's called promote cultural unity. The NF is represented on the map by a small, wide crown, as opposed to the high, narrow crown of the capital. A last benefit is that it reduces the time for certain events to fire by a small amount (for example the cultural assimilation event)

NF is the little crown you can select when you have one of your provinces' window open (next to 'relocate capital'). It provides benefits to the province and all adjacent provinces: more population growth, less revolt risk, higher income, ... It is also required for most province decisions, such as cultural assimilation, expand the bureaucracy etc. One of the decisions allows you to remove all cores of non-existing nations from the province, but requires 2 bureaucrats. I think it's called promote cultural unity. The NF is represented on the map by a small, wide crown, as opposed to the high, narrow crown of the capital.

Thank you :) Didn't know that :)

Chapter Four: Prolonged Peace?

Chapter 4: Prolonged Peace?
1436-1444

We finaly managed to enter a prolonged period of peace only abrupted by a small war vs. Venize after an alliance call in 1441.

We finished our royal marriage mission and got a new one, annex Brabant. We will wait a few years and let our infamity drop before we do that, I've learned that non core provinces tend to slow down your infamity decrease. Why? Because they don't like me..
diploannexbrabant.png

A few events occured, Death of a Merchant
deathofamerchant.png

Cultural assimilation was the most prominent ones,
culturalassimilationw.png

we also got a new heir that is a tiny bit better than our current queen. Now we just need him to come to the age of takeover and hope she dies.
newheir.png

As I said we ended up in a war against Venice after an alliance call, truth be told Venice was more or less chrushed already so I didn't really need to sacrifice anything, however I did end up taking lead or something like that..
armyswaytoglory.png

defensivewar.png

A little over a year after my entry, Venice gave up and paid it's way out of the war.
endofwar.png

Other than that very little happened, we continued to decrease our infamity and at the end of this period it was 5.5.

Anything you guys miss? Would you prefere the way I write now or more of a storylike writing? :)

Chapter 5: Annexation
1445- 1450

The first thing we did was to succesfully annex Brabant after two attempts and some bribes, we lost one stability and gained a core.

brabantintegrated.png

Our next mission was to vassalize Gelre but that can wait a little bit as we got a CB on Parma.

gelrevassalization.png

We also had a fun event, Isaak Greff is a superb diplomat. We also seem to like Flemish Culture.

isaakgreff.png

flemishacceptance.png

We started with nothing less than a war against Parma and their allies, we had a CB that allows annexation and I'm planning to force them into my Milan PU. At the start of the war we are at a clear disadvantage, our alliance troops number at around 22.000 vs their 47.000 men

luxemburgianexcomwar.png

Shortly after we begin raising more regiments the first order in a long time is of 10 new regiments, 8 on foot and 2 on horses. However, the battle of Liguria in 1445 shows that our armies are competent. We destroy 10 regiments and kill 10.000 troops. I did believe this would be a swift war, instead it dragged out as several small countries kept joining in on the Venetzian side.

battleofliguria.png

Several small countries request White Peace to get out of the war, for the countries I'm not interested in I accept that, I was originally after only Parma but things change as the war goes on. Savoy was the first one that was forced to leave the war already in 1447, we also forced them to be our vassals. Along with a payment of a sweet 100 ducats.

savoygivesup.png

The year after Genoa also exited the war.

Still Venice proved to be a little of challenge but they were forced to give up their campaign in 1449, ending their vassalization of my former ally Tirol. We also gained a few ducats. Tirol sees it chance to White Peace themselves out of the war after the Venetian Defeat.

However the war is far from over as we still have Parma, Switzerland and Bavaria against us. However, our army now has reached 32.000 men at full strength and is as such outnumbering the other countries armies. Victory should be ours. Parma gives up in June 1450, soon followed by Switzerland that is forced to become or vassals in September the same year.

parmavassal.png

switzerlandbecomesavass.png

Bavaria was finnaly beaten in November. We force them to release what I would call "bufferstates".

theendofthewar.png

Milan did show themselves as good allies in this war and its a shame that I couldnt incorporate Parma into them. However there is a reason to worry of what might happen in the following years, however, in order to sustain economically I have to make my 32.000 man army into a 10.000 man one. France is however, possible to attack us when they feel like it...
borderfrictioncaseofcon.png

Our Current Standing:
currentdiplomaticsituat.png

I always love me some Luxembourg AARs. ^__^

Good luck, with that much growth in the HRE you'll need it. Time to sit back and let things blow over, I think. Or you can just keep up your uncontrollable expansion. Either way.

when you annex switzerland and Parma, give both of them to Milan. That way, when you inherit, I believe you will automatically get cores on them. Even if you do not, it will strenghten Milan and then when you get back those provinces from Austria, you will have a land connection. the only way you should keep Switzerland is if you get the land connection via taking back those provinces from Austria before you diploannex Switzerland. Also, you need to get sea access for yourself and Brandenburg. otherwise you would need to create a land connection between yourself and Brandenburg, which would be incredibly difficult and therefore not recommended.

when you annex switzerland and Parma, give both of them to Milan. That way, when you inherit, I believe you will automatically get cores on them. Even if you do not, it will strenghten Milan and then when you get back those provinces from Austria, you will have a land connection. the only way you should keep Switzerland is if you get the land connection via taking back those provinces from Austria before you diploannex Switzerland. Also, you need to get sea access for yourself and Brandenburg. otherwise you would need to create a land connection between yourself and Brandenburg, which would be incredibly difficult and therefore not recommended.

If an Inheritance would give cores, you only get cores on the inherited nation's cores.

Milan wouldn't buy the provinces, either, since they're not cores and are in the HRE.

I always love me some Luxembourg AARs. ^__^

Good luck, with that much growth in the HRE you'll need it. Time to sit back and let things blow over, I think. Or you can just keep up your uncontrollable expansion. Either way.

I want to be quiet, but I have the bad tendency of getting excited once a war or CB shows up. You could say that I'm a control freak that wants to control everything. I actually have a grand plan behind my motives of this expansion, but it wouldn't be fun telling eh? ;)

I don't have any idea what I'm gonna do with the PU's, I'm working on Inheriting them, but I don't think ill annex and sell. If i remember correctly it won't core them. Still.. Good idea :)

If an Inheritance would give cores, you only get cores on the inherited nation's cores.

Milan wouldn't buy the provinces, either, since they're not cores and are in the HRE.

I think you're right there, such a shame...

By the time he inherits them, they might be cores. They also might buy the provinces if he sells them for nothing. I have not played DW very much, so I do not know if that still works, but I do know it used to work in HTTT all the time.

Chapter 6: War against HRE

Chapter 6: War against HRE
1451 - 1460

We had put the mission vassalize Gelre on hold, but not any longer. Early 1451 we declared war on them. Cologne decided to support their Allies

1subjugationwar.png

2battleofklnfirstbattle.png

3battleoftrier.png

The first battles went in our favour and soon we had all of the Colognian citys under our control, with Köln falling last.

4lastcityklnfalls.png

A little later Gelre made a slightly humourous sue for peace

5agoodlaught.png

Gelre fell in January 1452, and we could have ended it right there and then, however, Cologne joined the war and I'm going to use this oportunity to make them our vassals. Cologne accepted peace in April 1952, and became our vassals along with a payment of 100 ducats. Gelre was also made vassals just the day after. The war was won, peace was again upon us.

9endofthewar.png

However, Luxemburg has more or less earned a reputation of not being able to stay at peace, and only a year and a week after the last peace we were at it again. The war against the HRE Austria had begun, and for the first time Luxembourg and their allies was at and overwhelming advantage with nearly twice as many troups as Austria and their allies.

10austriawarbasterdsget.png

The war however, starts bad for us with huge losses, and after a few battles like the one bellow, we retreat home to defend our lands that has been sieged by The Palinate, the same one that we granted independance a few years ago. We won't make the same mistake again, and in 1456 after harsh fighting, we have opened up a road to Austria by vassalizing them, and this time our luck has turned.

11battleofwiengoeswrong.png

12endofpalinate.png

Our general Paquet starts by routing a force that has been laying siege on one of our allies. Relieving Ostmarch.

13importantvictory.png

Then he starts clearing out the Austrian forces, starting in Linz where he kills 7000 troops and destroys 12 regiments.

14battlethatmarkstehend.png

Augsburg is also one of the smaller nations around us and enter the war on the wrong side, the one province minor is beaten and vassalized in 1457.

augsburgleavesthewar.png

In 1460 the war doesnt seem like it will come to a close soon, Austria still has two provinces that hasn't been taken over and our Luxembourgian troops have more than enough to do just keeping the taken provinces. To make matters a little more interesting our queens decides that it's time for her to leave and leaves everything in the hands of Johann II von Luxembourg. Johan II shows himself from his best side, and by the end of the year Austria has been forced to vassilazation.

15newheir.png

I'm sorry for not being able to provide any screen shot off Austrias defeat, I managed to save another SS over it in paint by a mistake, I'm also sorry that I don't have any screenshot of our current diplomatic standings. :/

As always, I'm open to suggestions on both what to do ingame and how to improve my writing :)