• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hawkiee

Captain
80 Badges
May 29, 2011
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • East India Company
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I just bought this game. I haven't played Europa Universalis before but have read a few of the AAR's on this forum and got intrested.

Entries:

30.05.11 : Chapter One: Peacefull Start?
31.05.11 : Chapter Two: Second Phase War
01.06.11 : Chapter Three: Third Phase Warfare, Peace at Last?
03.06.11 : Chapter Four: Prolonged Peace?
04.06.11 : Chapter Five: Annexation
05.06.11 : Chapter Six: War against HRE
05.06.11 : Chapter Seven: A big surprise!
07.06.11 : Chapter Eight: Holy Roman Emperor
07.06.11 : Chapter Nine: Holy Roman Intervention
08.06.11 : Chapter Ten: HRI
10.06.11 : Chapter Eleven: Johann II
10.06.11 : Chapter Twelve: Diplomatic Ways
10.06.11 : Chapter Thirteen: Regency Bastards!
16.06.11 : Chapter Fourteen: Religious Turmoil
16.06.11 : Chapter Fifthteen : Cores and Wars

Special Entries:
13.06.11 : Update 1525

Pre-Start​

Basicly I chose to be Luxemburg because I can imagine being a lone province in the center of Europe might get though event though I have alot of small provinces around me that will provide decent "cover".

As I said I'm a small one province state for new, so in the early game I will be focusing on making trade flourish, maybe diplo-vassal/annex a few of my neighbours if possible and more or less live peacefully and trying to get everyone to like me.

The first thing I notice about Luxemburg is that they have a decent 6A/6D/7M Monarch, and a mediocre Heir at around 5/5/4. Economics for starters ain't something to brag about with a 0.9 a month income. Vi get an easy misson that tells us to create an army for our nation. Considering that our manpower max is 1000 troops I think it will be pretty easy.

On the advisor side it isn't any suitable people except a guy that boost spy defence, at this point that is really unecesary in my eyes as I'm going to be the "good" guy.

I will post later when I've played for a little bit and see how things have worked out, if there is anything you want to see just post.

Last edited:
Nice country choice. I once became bent on managing to keep brandenburg in the personal union and in the end inherit them. After endless restarts i finally managed it. This was in httt I think though. Maybe you could show us a little bit how burgundy is eating up your neighbors?. Anyway good luck! will be checking this one out.

Good luck!

One minor point (and general advice for people really). I'd avoid spy defence whether or not you intend to be "good". The AI really can't use spies well, so wasting an advisor slot (or NI slot for Vetting) defending against them is pointless outside of multiplayer.

Chapter one: Peacefull start?
1399-1407

The first thing I did was to look for allies in the smaller countries to my south, east and north as we bordered Burgundy in the west. In the end we managed to gain a few new allies and we also manged to get a royal marriage with Burgundy as a small attemt to try and keep them away from our lands.

Brandenburg seems to have little to do and I have a feeling that they dont like us very much...

We also start out with a small revolt as we do a slider change towards centralization. I also hate our merchants right now as I've sent five of them to Venice and they all have either failed or been outcompeted. Another thing that annoys me right now is the fact that we are very small, for some reason we have gained a CB against no less than 8 provinces, the one that isn't shown is Brandenburg..

reconquestcbaachen.png

alliancecbscotsbritsbur.png

On November the 3rd 1401 we enter our first war against Lorraine, a two province country to our south, we have our CB "Reconquest". I also need to expand to have a few provinces to have any chance to stand against a "big guy" should they decide to attack me, Burgundy is in war with someone else and seem to be losing so this is the perfect time for a little expansion of our own.

lorrainianwar.png

Basically what happens is that alot of other countries enter the war aswell, although the main battle is over within weeks I still need a year to siege the two provinces. Burgundy is continuing on its way down, and is still at war but has apperantly been forced to realease three provinces it earlier had claim on. It's the Bar and Liegue provinces to my south and northwest. The Bar province is without protection and I manage to "steal" it while im still fighting Lorraine. A little after Lorraine is forced to annexation. Now we have four provinces.

peacelorraine.png

However, we are still at war, although it's only going forward for us as we invade both Ulm and Wurtenburg in the late 1404, both of them along with Holland and Hinaut buys themselves out of the war.

hollanditswar.png

Baden does however, go to war against us before it ends, in the late 1405 it's Baden and Savoy vs. Luxemburg and their allies. We got a pretty strong new guy in our group of allies. Burgundy broke down in the early 1404 if I'm not mistaken, I can't remeber exactly when it was but around there. As I said, Burgundy was forced to release Flandern. Now Burgundy is only a shadow of what it once was. I got lucky though and profited of it by making Flandern my ally and I also got myself into a Royal Marriage with them, they joined the war and because of them the rest of it was a breeze.

Burgundy before all the negative wars(I know my paint skills ain't to good):
prewarburgundy.png

After:
currentburgundy.png

Savoy started offering me peace in the start of 1406 with a white peace. I had no interest in ending the war now that Baden had joined and declined, we continued to fight Baden and did gain a province. Fightingwise the war had ended but Savoy refused a white peace. As a result we didn't get a formal peace until the start of 1407.

endofwar.png

Now I'm looking forward to the road forward with an improven Luxemburg. We fought for five years in wars and gained four provinces. The next 10-20 is years I wanna use on peace, my Infamity doesn't reach zero untill about 12,5 years.

Current Luxemburg:
currentluxemburg.png

Pink line shows what we gained this period, and I'm sorry to the guy that writes about the Inca that I got inspired by your sexy pink line...

Thanks to anyone actually reading this, any advice on what you want me to add/remove ?

Nice country choice. I once became bent on managing to keep brandenburg in the personal union and in the end inherit them. After endless restarts i finally managed it. This was in httt I think though. Maybe you could show us a little bit how burgundy is eating up your neighbors?. Anyway good luck! will be checking this one out.

Burgundy failed miserably so far :/ Maybe you'll have a little laugh :)

You picked a tough one to start with :D

What can I say, I love a challenge :)

Good luck!

One minor point (and general advice for people really). I'd avoid spy defence whether or not you intend to be "good". The AI really can't use spies well, so wasting an advisor slot (or NI slot for Vetting) defending against them is pointless outside of multiplayer.

We actually discovered two spies during my first 7,5 years so it seems they know a little bit about how to use them :)

I have a little bit of problems when it comes to the economical aspects of this game, anyone wanna give me some advice ?

I say claim the other cores, you will gain no infamy from taking core provinces IIRC, so Aachen and any other OPM's can be annexed without a notable penalty.

Nooby question.. But how do I know if a province is a core ? :$ And I don't dare to go against Achen right now as their independence is claimed by around 14 different provinces.. I don't have manpower or anything to go into that kind of a war now..

Because my nickname is Gullhår, it more or less translates into Goldhair and is were I live a way to call someone extremely lucky... I don't like that nickname..

click on the province. On the description screen, on the lower end, you can see one/some shields. Those are the countries which have a core on that province. If the shield is greyed out it means the country that owns the province does not have a core in it and if you hiver the mouse on it, it will tell you when it will become a core.

Thanks to anyone actually reading this, any advice on what you want me to add/remove ?

Burgundy, Austria, Switzerland and Finland.

Chapter two: Second Phase of War
1408-1420

We start out our "peaceful" life by livin peacefully for a year before we take an advice, take a core. And we do so by annexing Liege in a short war, the core was the capital.. We gain some Infamity by it but nothing serious.

liegestartwar.png

endoflieguancampaign.png

We also manage to complete or mission for some reason and get a new one. Vassalize Trier, we start our conquest soon after and Colongne buts in to get it's ass kicked and some money extorted. We vassalize Trier succesfully.

vassalizetriermission.png

sidesvassalizationwar.png

The war is as I said not over and we have to continue fighting Gelre and Utrech. They win the two first battles, and I realize our small armies ain't enough. I was thinking about calling Flandern in but then realize that our "Big Brother" has broken our alliance. That marks the start for the largest army Luxemburg has seen up to now, soon after a 15.000 man army is raised. We also gain our first tech upgrade at government to 4. We chose Military Drill that gives us +1.0 morale.

continuedwarfare.png

We continue to fight with Gelre for 7 years, each side taking hits then renew their armies, however we manage to catch the Gelre main army offguard once in 1418, it decided the war in our favour.

gelretightspot.png

endofwarfight.png

finalpeacegelre.png

For some reason the AI enjoys joining lost wars. Cologne wanted revenge and joined the war against us after Gelres major defeat, in the wake of that defeat we decided to fulfill our mission, vassalize Baden.

missionvallializebaden.png

Still, they managed to muster a small force that was chrushed only months later, Trier took care of Cologne, and for some reason we do now have Milan under us in a Personal Union despite the fact that I never claimed their throne? Don't think I had a royal marriage either. In 1419 we finaly seem to have chrushed the pesky Gelre, all thats left is the sieges. We also start building Constables in our three highest taxed provinces.

personalunionmilan.png

As the war ended we won and they ceded Holland and Zeeland, they also offered me money so I accepted without thinking about the infamity cost. Boom, eight extra infamity. Yey me making good decions. However, I tried to get rid of that by releasing them as vassals. Didn't help.. But now I Gelre is a one province minor and I earned quite a few ducats in this war aswell, total around 150 ducats that will go to constables. Austria claimed in 1420 that I should release Luthringen, not a chance old man. It cost us stability but we will fix that fast.

This is actually our current political standing:
luxemburginfluenceafter.png

These last 13 years have been prosperous in the matter that we have gained 4 in all techs now. Later than some of the other but what would you expect?​

I count 4 uncored HRE provinces, each +.25 infamy.... you better have good diplo heirs and get lots of royal marriage missions. Good luck, I'm saying.