• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UniversalWolf

Quasi-Teetotaler
10 Badges
Jan 13, 2004
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Is there an easy way to appoint a particular noble to command of a particular army? I find it handy to retain a small band of mercenaries for policing duties but I can't figure out how to make my Marshal (or anyone else) get off is butt and take command. The only way I can see to make it happen is to raise another army with the Marshal in command and join the two, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Second, is there a way for my unmarried male ruler to propose marriage to an unmarried female ruler? Presumably this would result in a merging of the two domains, but I only seem to be able to offer members of my court as suitors. The titled female inevitably turns them down because she has nothing to gain by marrying one of them. Female rulers all seem to go Queen Elizabeth and turn into old maids.

1. Not that I know of. Your Marshall will only be summoned if you raise troops from your own personal demense, and your character is not in command. Though I don't see why you need troops for policing duties- surely levy armies are cheaper at the end of the day?

2. No. AI female rulers will never marry a male ruler, since doing so will result in them losing their throne.

...surely levy armies are cheaper at the end of the day?
Are they? In most cases probably, but I found myself in the position of fending off rebels in a few disloyal provinces far from my capitol. 200 mercenaries with a solid leader can handle them without trouble, and I don't need to disrupt my recovering and developing provinces by mobilizing. Not sure what the bottom line is on money when you factor all that in.

Seems like I should be able to order one of my idle courtiers to take charge of the operation.

2. No. AI female rulers will never marry a male ruler, since doing so will result in them losing their throne.
Virgin Queen Syndrome, eh? I would think a countess would trade direct control of her county to become queen of a realm. If she liked a fella. ;)

Are they? In most cases probably, but I found myself in the position of fending off rebels in a few disloyal provinces far from my capitol. 200 mercenaries with a solid leader can handle them without trouble, and I don't need to disrupt my recovering and developing provinces by mobilizing. Not sure what the bottom line is on money when you factor all that in.

Seems like I should be able to order one of my idle courtiers to take charge of the operation.

Virgin Queen Syndrome, eh? I would think a countess would trade direct control of her county to become queen of a realm. If she liked a fella. ;)

1. Use the vassals own troops to defeat the rebels, not your own. They are free of charge, and you don't have to walk your regiment across half of Europe. Go to the province screen of the county with rebels and click on the army there. If the count is too disloyal, you can't do that, but then you can use some else close by. Just be aware that doing so will cost 25% loyalty. Sadly the AI is not very good at raising its army to deal with rebels, so you have to help.

2. It is more a game engine issue. The game is not designed for two rulers to marry (though you can have a setup where two ruelrs are married in the scenarios), so the AI will always refuse to marry a female ruler to a male ruler.

Your best bet to marry male ruler to female ruler is to add the marriage via save-editing, if you think logically it should have happened (it did happen historically - Isabel and Ferdinand, anyone?), so it's not really cheating.

Your best bet to marry male ruler to female ruler is to add the marriage via save-editing, if you think logically it should have happened (it did happen historically - Isabel and Ferdinand, anyone?), so it's not really cheating.
That was outside of this time frame. I can't really think of any historical examples in the CK time frame.

That was outside of this time frame. I can't really think of any historical examples in the CK time frame.
So you don't think a King ever married a Duchess or a Countess? My first Google search gave me several examples, so I'm sure it happened quite frequently. A King or a Duke would always be looking to expand his domain, and a Countess would always be looking to climb the feudal hierarchy. Makes perfect sense.

I can think of several examples off the top of my head, like William of Orange becoming King of England by marrying the queen.

So you don't think a King ever married a Duchess or a Countess? My first Google search gave me several examples, so I'm sure it happened quite frequently. A King or a Duke would always be looking to expand his domain, and a Countess would always be looking to climb the feudal hierarchy. Makes perfect sense.

I can think of several examples off the top of my head, like William of Orange becoming King of England by marrying the queen.
William and Mary are considerably further from the game's timeframe than Isabel and Ferdinand, which appears to be xcrissxcrossx's concern.

In any case Mary wasn't queen when William married her. In fact all he did was what we can do in CK already; marry the female descendant of a ruler in the hope our son will inherit. They didn't have a son of course, and in CK terms what William did was to make a claim on the English crown and win by de facto conquest. Being married to Mary certainly helped his claim to the crown but I think (though I am not entirely sure) that he was the senior male protestant in the order of succession anyway. By the time of the Glorious Revolution, Mary was not even heir apparent.

However there is at least one prominent female ruler who married. Eleanor succeeded to the title Duchess of Aquitaine on 9 April 1137 when she was still single, and married the son of the King of France a few months later. When that marriage was annulled (another mechanism we do not have in CK!), she married the Duke of Normandy.
Both her husbands became king (of France and England respectively). Both appear to have claimed for themselves the title Duke of Aquitaine (Louis VII relinquished it when their marriage was annulled) and Richard inherited the title from Henry II while Eleanor was still alive, albeit with Eleanor's blessing it would seem.

How about Richilde of Hainaut then? She was originally the wife of the Count of Hainaut. When the count died without an heir she became Countess, and married the son of the ruler of Flanders, who was then invested as Count. This is even represented in the 1066 scenario!

How about Richilde of Hainaut then? She was originally the wife of the Count of Hainaut. When the count died without an heir she became Countess, and married the son of the ruler of Flanders, who was then invested as Count. This is even represented in the 1066 scenario!

Well, there's another historical precedent not provided for in CK: Herman did have an heir, Roger (his and Richilde's son), yet Richilde succeeded to the title.
Although Richilde, Baudouin (her second husband) and their children are included in the game, I can find no mention of Herman and his children Roger and Agnes.

While it isn't quite that a single female ruler married a single male ruler, Queen Melisende ruled the Kingdom of Jerusalem while married to Fulk the count of Anjou (they were married before she ascended to the throne). There's a few further examples within the crusader states, I think that the Principality of Antioch had a similar story at some point. I'm not sure if Isabella I counts but she did outstay most of her husbands (a varied lot ranging from relative nobodies to counts) and did stay on as queen despite the changing of kings. Similarly when the kingdom was reduced to Acre there was a similar situation that happened with the lords of Cyprus.

Does it really matter?? --- it is not possible to marry two rulers in the game .. mainly for gameplay and engine reasons :) ... discussions about whether femaler rulers existed and whether they married other rulers, seems more fitting for the OT forum.

However there is at least one prominent female ruler who married. Eleanor succeeded to the title Duchess of Aquitaine on 9 April 1137 when she was still single, and married the son of the King of France a few months later. When that marriage was annulled (another mechanism we do not have in CK!), she married the Duke of Normandy.
Both her husbands became king (of France and England respectively). Both appear to have claimed for themselves the title Duke of Aquitaine (Louis VII relinquished it when their marriage was annulled) and Richard inherited the title from Henry II while Eleanor was still alive, albeit with Eleanor's blessing it would seem.

Not only could sitting countesses, duchesses, and queens marry, they were the most coveted brides in Europe from a political standpoint. Funny they don't marry in the game, since all the mechanisms seem to be there. You can propose marriage to them, they just never accept. Not that I've seen anyway.

Based on this I never give my daughters titles until after they're married (and preferably after they have a male heir).

Status
Not open for further replies.