• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Acguy

MSM-04
68 Badges
Dec 19, 2009
  • Majesty 2
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Iron Cross
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • For The Glory
  • March of the Eagles
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
I just finished a play with Belgium where I took a lot of screenshots, so I thought why not make a short AAR of it? Just so you know all of this has already been played and no cheats has been used. This will mostly be a gameplay-heavy AAR with lots of screenshots and some narration used when I feel like it.

ScreenSave86.jpg

I start by moving my sliders to a more authoritarian stance as well as replacing my armaments minister with an administrative genius.

ScreenSave88.jpg

I then went with the Issue Currency decision, lowering my IC with -1% but giving me 1000 money, enough for demanding territory, and then I claimed all of Benelux.

ScreenSave89.jpg

ScreenSave90.jpg

The Benelux region had been hit hard by the interwar period, especially the Netherlands. An economic crisis had brought the country to ruin and the government had lost all control and isolated themselves from the rest of the world, much to the dismay of their citizens. Belgium had, by manipulating the economy in ways seen by some countries as authoritarian, avoided economic crisis and had money in excess. On January the first, 1936, Belgian soldiers marched into the Netherlands, demanding a plebiscite to be held for mainland Holland to join Belgium in a greater union. A majority voted yes, and the Dutch government fled to their colonial empire. Some nations condemned Belgium and called it an aggression, but the peaceful integration of the Dutch citizens generated much praise. This series of event was largely ignored by the league of nations, who was busy criticizing the Italian invasion of Abyssinia. Partisan activity existed in the form of Dutch nationalists, but otherwise the country was peaceful.

ScreenSave91.jpg

The greater Belgian state had been born...

What are the chances of annexing all of Netherlands, including the Colonial Possessions? I was playing as Germany once and I've found out I could pretty much peacefully co-exist with the Benelux countries, as I've only claimed the Eastern Holland provinces and Southern + North Eastern provinces in Belgium. This was enough to overrun France and because they could not gain any time in Belgium the blow was really critical.

Cant really wish you good luck, as the Game is finished, but hopefully in the next bunch of screenies you will overrun the whole of Germany, perhaps Poland and France too.

ScreenSave94.jpg

Our first priority is further industrialization if we are to defend ourself from a future German aggressor.

ScreenSave97.jpg

And one year later, a new tech slot is born!

ScreenSave98.jpg

I realized I have a division in Congo, better transport it home...

ScreenSave100.jpg

An election event nullified my earlier slider move, so this time I'll go with interventionism...

ScreenSave101.jpg

After Munich pact I can increase my mobilization and build a few divisions.

ScreenSave104.jpg

The British realize independent Belgium is key to keep peace in Europe!

... Shortly after, WWII begins.

ScreenSave108.jpg

Brave Polish soldiers invade Slovakia despite being invaded by Germany and Soviets at once (after Poland is annexed, Germany takes it all and later gives it to Hungary)

ScreenSave111.jpg

You don't know what awaits, Herr Adolf...

EDIT:

What are the chances of annexing all of Netherlands, including the Colonial Possessions? I was playing as Germany once and I've found out I could pretty much peacefully co-exist with the Benelux countries, as I've only claimed the Eastern Holland provinces and Southern + North Eastern provinces in Belgium. This was enough to overrun France and because they could not gain any time in Belgium the blow was really critical.
I have no idea how the demand territory system works actually. Some nations are willing to part with huge territory easily, whilst some won't let go of one tiny province...

Cant really wish you good luck, as the Game is finished, but hopefully in the next bunch of screenies you will overrun the whole of Germany, perhaps Poland and France too

When playing my initial priority was merely surviving, so don't expect a gigantic empire :p

Interesting. AARs with such small nations (yet no too small :p) are a most interesting. Especially as Belgium, which is always under threat to be overrun by the fascists. Good luck! (Even though everything has happened already--but I hope you had good luck. :rofl: )

I just love that rolf smiley. Have to use it always when possible.

ScreenSave112.jpg

I overestimated my forces and tried to attack Cologne, with failure.

ScreenSave113.jpg

Things begin good... :(

ScreenSave114.jpg

Liege must not fall!

ScreenSave115.jpg

We did it!

ScreenSave116.jpg

French aid arrives, in the nick of time.

ScreenSave118.jpg

Mastrich is much-needed because of it's defensive lines. Eupen isn't.

ScreenSave119.jpg

Not even Keitel can save Maastricht.

ScreenSave120.jpg

Luxembourg falls, but Maastricht is ours. This is basically where I stopped the German onslaught. They pretty much only attacked Maastrict or Liege from this point, and when they did I rushed most of my army there. Like this:

ScreenSave123.jpg

And something I'm very thankful of was Japan performing Pearl Harbour early:

ScreenSave124.jpg

It does spoil the whole excitement a bit; you shouldn't have told us that you've played the game out already :(

But anyway, I am sure it will be exciting; I also hope that the French accidentally set the Maginot Line fortifications on fire and therefore have to get some good German firetrucks from, lets say, Stuggart. It's a good thing I do not posses any hacking/awesome skills, otherwise I would be very tempted to peek at the screenies on your sweet hard drive... Mmm... Acguys sweet hard drive.... Mmhmm.

It does spoil the whole excitement a bit; you shouldn't have told us that you've played the game out already :(
Sorry ;_;

But anyway, I am sure it will be exciting; I also hope that the French accidentally set the Maginot Line fortifications on fire and therefore have to get some good German firetrucks from, lets say, Stuggart. It's a good thing I do not posses any hacking/awesome skills, otherwise I would be very tempted to peek at the screenies on your sweet hard drive... Mmm... Acguys sweet hard drive.... Mmhmm.

;_; Nooo!

ScreenSave125.jpg

Silly France, thinking they can achieve a breakthrough.

ScreenSave127.jpg

This will surely turn the tide of the war!

ScreenSave132.jpg

... ! Will the Balkans fall under Turkish rule once more?

(note: around here things started to get messy in Europe)

ScreenSave133.jpg

And will Norway fall under american rule?

ScreenSave134.jpg

Get out of my Belgium, you're supposed to invade the Balkans :(

ScreenSave135.jpg

Oh dear.

ScreenSave136.jpg

The allies isn't the only alliance that's getting new members.

ScreenSave137.jpg

First Turks, now Americans...

And now, a cliffhanger!

ScreenSave139.jpg

Nice on holding the Germans!

Thanks!

"Brave Little Belgium" now does actually mean something. I think your nation has inspired all the other countries, and even the two superpowers, to join the war. You Sir are the savior of the world. Although I do think that the Soviet Union might be your next enemy.

Thanks too, and I hope not :p

ScreenSave140.jpg

Situation looking grim for the Germans, also Turkey and Yugoslavia making advances in Bulgaria.

ScreenSave141.jpg

ScreenSave142.jpg

And here an intensive bombing campaign started on Belgian soil performed by Italian bombers... :( ... Wait, wasn't Italy neutral?

ScreenSave143.jpg

Dammit Mussolini!

ScreenSave144.jpg

Sweden allows Germany to pass through with troops, such cowards!

ScreenSave145.jpg

While I'm defending Maastricht French tries an offensive on Luxembourg.

ScreenSave146.jpg

Portugal joins the axis, and the Soviets has managed to invade... Transcarpathia?

ScreenSave147.jpg

Spain got envious of Portugal. Finland also joined.

ScreenSave148.jpg

As I said, Europe got messy... And I don't like the Franco-Iberian border :(

Ouch. Iberia joining in is a huge problem, especially for you, who are dependent on France doing well...

Ouch. Iberia joining in is a huge problem, especially for you, who are dependent on France doing well...
Indeed :(

ScreenSave150.jpg

Bulgaria is the first axis nation to fall (unless you count Slovakia) and it seems the Soviets have made some advances.

ScreenSave151.jpg

And Yugoslavia charges into undefended Austria and Bavaria.

ScreenSave153.jpg

Maybe they charged a bit too fast...

ScreenSave155.jpg

Gasp! Americans make their move! We must not miss this opportunity! To Aachen!

ScreenSave156.jpg

ScreenSave157.jpg

Meanwhile, in the Balkans...

ScreenSave158.jpg

Americans screwed up, but Aachen is almost ours!

ScreenSave159.jpg

Time to reconquer Holland!

ScreenSave160.jpg

Americans meeting Finnish resistance in northern Norway. Oh, Finland, that's right...

ScreenSave161.jpg

ScreenSave162.jpg

The rapidly expanding Yugoslavia has been split into two, but Turkey is assisting them.

ScreenSave163.jpg

Stauffenberg decided to perform July 20th plot a few years earlier, and not in July...

Will you try and get a separate peace event with the Germans? From my own experience I know the Allies tend to sign their own peace agreements, leaving the countries that did most of the work nothing but a few provinces. I find the "Claim" territory in DH really useful when trying to negotiate; instead of looking for the provinces in long lists you just draw your border in the diplomatic window and then forward your request :)

Will you try and get a separate peace event with the Germans? From my own experience I know the Allies tend to sign their own peace agreements, leaving the countries that did most of the work nothing but a few provinces. I find the "Claim" territory in DH really useful when trying to negotiate; instead of looking for the provinces in long lists you just draw your border in the diplomatic window and then forward your request :)
There will be no peace with the Germans - the war won't end until they're destroyed! Maybe negotiations will happen with the allies after the war is over.

ScreenSave166.jpg

Some action in western Africa, I also realized I border Portuguese Angola... I hope they aren't planning anything.

ScreenSave168.jpg

The French are trying to block Belgian conquest!

ScreenSave170.jpg

Americans seems to have control of Norway except for some rebels, I'll try and take Wilhelmshaven to secure northern Germany (also, Soviets seems to have screwed something up in Krakow).

ScreenSave171.jpg

Soon Belgian rule in the Netherlands will be restored!

ScreenSave174.jpg

Situation is looking grim for the Raj.

ScreenSave175.jpg

Franco thinks Sahara is the key to winning the war.

ScreenSave176.jpg

I think he should have other priorities.

ScreenSave178.jpg

Success! Northern Germany is open to us!

ScreenSave181.jpg

Meanwhile, Yugoslavia collapses.

ScreenSave182.jpg

Luxembourg restored... I want it as part of Belgium :(

ScreenSave183.jpg

The Finns finally collapse under Soviet pressure.

ScreenSave185.jpg

Scandinavia looking weird.

You could try getting Luxembourg by claiming territory
I've tried before, during and after the war. Always 0%. :(

ScreenSave186.jpg

Italy is enjoying success in North Africa.

ScreenSave187.jpg

... And there Luxembourg gets annexed again. Good job, France. I had to send down a few divisions slowing my assault just to stop any possibility of Germany breaking through in the south D:

ScreenSave188.jpg

Another allied nation falls. Yugoslavia fought bravely to the end. Let's hope Turkey doesn't fall too.

ScreenSave189.jpg

And they get encircled D:

ScreenSave190.jpg

The Iberian part of the axis are having troubles. Also, note that Brazil occupies Mallorca and that Gibraltar is still in allied hands.

ScreenSave193.jpg

Brave Belgian troops trying to take Bremen...

ScreenSave194.jpg

Soviets entering Hungary and Slovakia plus Germans and Italians entering Istanbul...

And now, something funny.

ScreenSave197.jpg

Italians sunk my entire fleet. Two DD and two transports :(

No fleet means it's live or die, no chance for retreat if neccessary...

No fleet means it's live or die, no chance for retreat if neccessary...
As well as complete loss of contact with Congo :(

ScreenSave198.jpg

The axis loses a member.

ScreenSave199.jpg

... and gains a new one.

ScreenSave200.jpg

ScreenSave201.jpg

Speaking of Congo :(

ScreenSave202.jpg

Assault on Bremen failed, but we managed to conquer Hannover. And Germany liberated Serbia.

ScreenSave204.jpg

Turks seems to have gotten Istanbul back, and axis is having success in Africa. Also Brazil conquered Italian Greek islands.

ScreenSave205.jpg

Iberia looking messed up

ScreenSave206.jpg

Japanese continue their onslaught on the Raj.

ScreenSave208.jpg

We need more control of the government to prevail - authoritarian!

ScreenSave209.jpg

Silly rebels...

ScreenSave211.jpg

A new ally on the Balkans - funnily they refused earlier when the British tried to align them.

ScreenSave213.jpg

Americans liberate Norway. I feel kinda sad for the Germans in Bodö...

Eh? Who's that Adolf guy the Americans have installed?? Some foreign GERMAN in my dear and beloved home country? What kind of conspiracy is this?:p

Eh? Who's that Adolf guy the Americans have installed?? Some foreign GERMAN in my dear and beloved home country? What kind of conspiracy is this?:p
:rofl: I didn't even notice that

ScreenSave215.jpg

British reinforcements confuses the Japanese in India.

ScreenSave216.jpg

The Brits save Congo as well, whoo!

ScreenSave217.jpg

One front less for the Allies to think about.

ScreenSave219.jpg

What??? :wacko:

Very short update because I need to upload more of the screenshots to Photobucket...