• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry about the long wait for an update guys, or those of you still subscribed ;)
I've been busy the past week-and-a-half and so havn't got alot of time to play. I have this weekend off though, so I shall try to get the next update up tomarrow. This AAR has not died yet!!! :D

Chapter 12: Trial Through Fire

On Arpil 19, 1848, the Tungning research team in charge of development in Early Classical Theory and Critique came back with positive results. It would now be possible for the government and the nation's capitalists to build lumber mill factories, to import lumber and develop furniture and other goods for themselves, instead of relying on the goods bought from the Europeans. The researchers were quickly put back to work into the field of introspection, hoping for a boost to the culture of the nation.

May and June brought news of conflicts both starting and ending around the world. May saw the Danubian Confederation win their war of conquest against Wurttenburg, and the Shun begin a new war against the Taiping, this one also for total conquest. This act was brought to the attention of the Parliament, and a unanimous vote had the Tungning military fully moved to the Shun border, in case an opportunity brought itself for advances into this now distracted nation. June brought news that Burgundy subjugated the people's of Baden, now putting their full attention on their war with the Dual Monarchy.

July brought news of a great amount of unemployed in the region of Shanghai. The recent construction of both a grand naval base and railroads throughout the area had left many without a job. The newly constructed factories were filled to the brim with employees and could take no more, and the recent advances in Farming technology made returning to farm life just as likely to result in poverty. The government immediately decided to build support for unemployed reform, but would not be able to present any reforms before the Parliament until more people supported it.

v23y.png

On the 28 of September, after many days of speeches for and against war with Shun in the Parliament, it was finally given to the authority of the Chancellor, Lu Si, on what to do. War was declared and the armies immdediately crossed the border of Shun.

v25x.png

The Manchu Border Army would advance into Guide, the Army of the Imperial Court into Yingzhou, the Army of the Phoenix Emperor into Fengyang, the New Model Army into Runing, and the Taiping Border Army into Jiujang.

It would be the job of the Taiping Border Army to prevent a successful conquest of Taiping by the Shun for however long possible. Military access would be ignored for the Taiping army itself was wiped out in the early stages of its war with Shun, and so could pose no threat if they do not wish to receive our help.

While advancing, the Reserves were mobilized on the 14 of October, and moved to Nanjing, to act as a mobile defensive force like in the previous war.

On December 12, a miracle of nature appears. A comet is sighted, streaking over the entirety of the nation, and many wonder whether it is a omen of fortune for the war effort, or impending doom. The government quickly announces that the coment offers good omens, as the province of Runing was occupyed completely as the comet passed over head. No matter what it for-tells, the sighting of the comet greatly encouraged the Tunging researchers into working harder, and inspired many young men intojoining the research teams.

v26r.png

As 1848 ended and 1849 began, the people showed their support for the war effort by the increase in seats for the rulling party in the Parliament. This same day also bring news from the front, of thw war's first two victories. Both were defensive battles, as it appears that the Shun had been hiding their reserve troops just behing the line of sight by the Tungning border outposts, and had quickly taken the initiative and attacked on their own accord. They were quickly beaten back, proving the worth that good leadership brings with it.

v210.png

v29.png

The battle at Taiping was fought by the Reserve Army, reacting to the sudden invasion of Tungning and filling their role admirally. The battle at Sizhou was fought by the Army of the Phoenix Emperor, changing course from its destination at Fengyang to counter this sudden attack.

As the armies continued their advance through the rest of January and the beginning of February, several more battles took place. At Kaifeng, the Manchu Border Army successfuly defeated a numerically superior Shun army as it advanced from the recently occupied Guide province into Kaifeng. Over 16,000 Shun troops died in the engagement, while only 4,000 Tunging lives were lost. At Luzhou, the Army of the Imperial Court held out against a Shun force twice their size until the Reserve Army was able to join, flanking the Shun and pushing them back out of Tungning territory. This battle only cost the Tungning over 3,000 men, while the Shun lost well over 38,000. The Taiping Border Army, returning from advancing into Taiping, intercepted a Shun force invading tunging at Anqing, pushing them back with only 1,500 troops lost, in exchange for 15,000 Shun. Finally at Chizhou, the Reserve, Imperial Court, and Taiping Border Armies defeated a Shun force of 100,000 troops. The battle last for 3 days until the Shun were soundly defeated, losing 52,000 troops versus the 7,000 Tunging dead.

All this success, however, came with a great price eventualy. The Reserve Army and Army of the Imperial Court, moving to stop another invasion attempt, were soundly defeated at Anqing, losing to a surprisingly qualified Shun General. This defeat over shadowed another win by the Taiping Border Army at Raozhou.

v217.png

Following this defeat, the New Model Army is called back from its advance into Shun territory to assist the Reserve and Imperial Court Armies with their defense of the Tungning north. As this happens, the Shun begin yet another invasion, though this time through Shaozhou in the far south along the coast.

A Taiping delegate soon reached the Imperial Court and Parliament as well. He requested that the Taiping Navy, the only remaining military units left, be allowed to seek shelter at Tungning ports, and that the Taiping King be allowed to seek refuge in the nation as well. His request is accepted by Chancellor Lu Si himself, and Tungning forces are officialy recognized as allowed to enter Taiping territory as well.

When the New Model Army arrived back in Tungning territory in March, what it found in its allied armies was nothing short of total disorganization. It was quickly decided that the armies would march to Luzhou under the command of Xue Huiyin, commanding General of the NMA, and would engage the advancing Shun forces there. They did, and the results spoke for themselves, 17,000 Shun dead for 2,000 Tunging dead. This would be the last battle for the Imperial Court and Reserve Armies, as they were moved east from the front, to refill their depleted ranks, and regain some essence of order.

On the other side of the earth, things did not seem to be going well for Burgundy. Scandinavia, after losing most of Scotland to Dual Monarchy forces, quickly made a white peace with the Monarchy and shipped its troops home, now concentrating on a serious outbreak of Joacabin Rebel throughout its colonial holdings. This did not sit well with their Burgundian allies, however, for the Danes (Sweds, Norwegians) had made the farthest advance out of all their troops, and now that ground was lost and the Dual Monarchy making advances of its own. To make matters worse for Burgundy, Bohemia decided to declare war on Burgundy for its newly acquired Baden holdings. A quick assualt by their cavalry forces quickly took the majority of Burgundy's allies out of the war, and the Bohemian armies were quickly advancing into Scandinavia's holdings in Germany, attempting to take them out of the war as well.

v240.png

White shows the advance of Scandinavian forces before peace, and blue lines of occupation in Scotland. Pink arrows are advance of main Burgundian forces against Dual Monarchy, with small reserve units entering Bohemia. Pink line shows Burgundian blockade of England, preventing battle hardened Dual Monarchy troops from joining the war on the mainland. Orange stars are allies taken out of the war by Bohemia, while Orange arrows show that Bohemia's full military might is against Scandinavia.

As the Reserve and Imperial Court Armies rested, the New Model Army moved once again to stop an invasion attempt in the north. They engaged the Shun at Yingzhou on April 1, and defeated them, taking 600 deaths for 2,000 Shun ones. The NMA was then ordered south to Jinhua to counter the advancing Shun armies in the area.

The next battle to be fought and won would be at Henan, by the Manchu Border Army. The MBA was quickly advancing towards the capital of Shun, and thus engaged a Shun army attempting to block its route. The battle was decisive with 15,000 dead Shun for 2,000 Tungning. The next battle took place at Runing with the Army of the Phoenix Emperor making a defense of the captured Shun territory, while the Reserve and Imperial Court Armies continued to regroup. This battle was also a success with the Shun pushed back with 10,000 dead for 2,000 of the same for Tungning. As the New Model Army arrived at its destination, it quickly engaged an advancing Shun force. This battle would show the future for the southern campaign with its decisive victory.

v225.png

The battle lasted for only 5 hours until the poorly led Shun were pushed back. This win would be used encourage the Tungning troops fighting along the entire front into pushing on, as the war neared its 1 year mark. The NMA was soon ordered west to Chaozhou to push the invaders completely out of the Tungning lands.

In June, the newly formed Shun Border Army, having spent the war waiting for adequate leadership and training its raw troops, advanced to the province of Anqing, to try to stop another invasion by the Shun. The battled ended with the success of the army's training and leadership, with 9,000 Shun dead for 4,000 Tunging. The New Model Army engaged a Shun force in Quanzhou in its westward advance, killing 22,600 Shun for 8,000 Tungning dead. The Army of the Phoenix Emperor, still defending the captured territory, engaged a Tungning army at Runing, and soundly defeated them with only 5,000 dead for 28,000 of the same for Shun. The Shun Border Army then reaches its destination, captured Shun territory, and is quickly engaged by a vastly superiour Shun force. The battle goes back and forth until the Shun are forced back to cover their flanks against a Phoenix Emperor attack from the north, losing 6,000 for 4,000 Tunging.

As the war came closer and cloaser to its one year mark, the Parliament took a look at the the map of china. Tungning forces had taken much ground, but Taiping had been reduced to a island off the coast, and a refugee province secured by the Taiping Border Army. The war had proven, though, that the military was just as successful leaving the running of the war to the Generals themselves, withour interference by a King of Chancellor.

v233.png

The frontlines in red. The section between has seen no action by either side, with Shun forces vacant, and Tungning forces busy else where.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for this wall of text guys. I think I did good, but you never know. As always, comments and critique are welcome.

These wars always make you look like a massive underdog but I suppose China's inland provinces are much less valuable (and much larger) than the coastal ones that you own. Makes for good entertainment though. Also: go Danubian Confederation! I hope they jump on the beat up Burgundy bandwagon :p

These wars always make you look like a massive underdog but I suppose China's inland provinces are much less valuable (and much larger) than the coastal ones that you own. Makes for good entertainment though. Also: go Danubian Confederation! I hope they jump on the beat up Burgundy bandwagon :p

Very true, but I dont think I can stay at war with Shun for too long. With both their starting provinces + Daxi, they have a very large population, and so could just swarm over me with a wave of irregulars. Almost every single battle Ive fought Ive been outnumbered, and for some reason the only time I lost I actualy outnumbered them.
And for Danubia, its looks like 50-50 between them going to war with Burgundy or Bohemia. Burgundy because everyone is at war with them (its the cool thing right now) and Bohemia because ALL of their armies are in the north, so they could swoop in and take back what is theirs.

What are your war goals again? :)

What are your war goals again? :)

In-game I cant even remeber, and am just too lazy to bring it up and check, but pretty much the entire area I now occupy. For the AARs history, there is no goal except to prevent Shun from becoming too powerful and annexing Taiping. Probably should have written that down somewhere to type it, maybe Ill edit it in in a few.

Nein. They should attack Bohemia because Bohemia has it coming for attacking the Danubians when they just formed. I hope a peace between burgundy and DM is reached and the Bohemians get encircled.

Just wanted to come and say that I havn't given up on this AAR. I'm currently too busy in RL to play much of any game right now, with School starting back up and work becoming a tighter schedule. I hope to get another chapter up sometime in early October, but no promises right now.