• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King50000

King of Kings
11 Badges
Mar 11, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Ok, lets get started shall we. This will be my second official AAR, but I hope to make this my first completed through winning the game AAR. As some of you know, my last AAR, Empire of Aragon, ended through a lost save, I will try my best to not let that happen again and get far in this one.

I will be using the 0.7.1 version of the Divergence Mod.

In this AAR, I will be playing as Tungning, a small splinter nation in China, but is the only civilized nation in China. I will have an Introduction Chapter up later tonight or tomarrow, followed by the first chapter. I will seek to unite China under my banner through war, no diplomatic peace for this AAR shall be attempted, so get ready for (possibly) lots of wars. :D

Thats it, thanks for stopping by and checking this out, and I hope you come back to see the Introduction to Eternal Civil War - A Divergence AAR and much more.

Last edited:
yea, you did my suggestion. the Tungning seem hard but you can do it. good luck.

Interesting choice indeed! Chinese unification in my games so far have been dominated by either Ming or Sh-something...

Also, what version will you be playing? Game & mod :)

You get that dragon throne now you hear? ;)

yea, you did my suggestion. the Tungning seem hard but you can do it. good luck.

yep, i thought it was a cool sugestion so i went with it. :D
they are a little hard, but hopefuly once i expand it will be easier to keep the kingdom in check.

Interesting choice indeed! Chinese unification in my games so far have been dominated by either Ming or Sh-something...

Also, what version will you be playing? Game & mod :)

You get that dragon throne now you hear? ;)

ok, updated the begining with the version im using.
in my last game as Aragon, it was Shun and Taiping that dominated, almost completely eating Ming before i lost the save.
ill try my best to have a Tungning Dragon Emperor :)

Tungning? They're civilized again? I thought they were reduced to Uncivilized status but were very easy to civilize? I might be mistaken...

Anyways, I'll be following this as I followed your last AAR. I'll look forward to watching the small-man of Asia unify the land of Qin Shi Huang =3

Tungning? They're civilized again? I thought they were reduced to Uncivilized status but were very easy to civilize? I might be mistaken...

Anyways, I'll be following this as I followed your last AAR. I'll look forward to watching the small-man of Asia unify the land of Qin Shi Huang =3

i think they were moved back to civilized status with the 1.3 compatible version, and to keep in check with the history of Divergence.

typing the intro up now guys, stay tuned :D

i think they were moved back to civilized status with the 1.3 compatible version, and to keep in check with the history of Divergence.

typing the intro up now guys, stay tuned :D

I am curious if you were surprised when you saw that you can not free-annex the chinese countries. Btw, there were some thoughts on the forum like that the Civil War started in the 17th century. No, it did not. How plausible would be if they warred for centuries and then annexed each other after 1 year in V2:D?
I have even some ideas to make it even more interesting like erruption of new warlords...

I am curious if you were surprised when you saw that you can not free-annex the chinese countries. Btw, there were some thoughts on the forum like that the Civil War started in the 17th century. No, it did not. How plausible would be if they warred for centuries and then annexed each other after 1 year in V2:D?
I have even some ideas to make it even more interesting like erruption of new warlords...

I actually like the idea of not being able to free-anex each country. I think it is a much more plausable and historical system, like with the wars in the 3 Kingdom's Period, they didnt annex each other in single wars, but continualy wared each other through several wars over their time period. And for this civil war, Ive been thinking it more along those lines, with little wars here and there changing the basic shape of each country, but relatively leaving things the same. And Im gona try to draw out this conquest of China, that way its not all done in 1 year :D.
But allowing new warlords to appear, that might involve some mew decisions, because by this time, the loyalties to each country are in everyone's blood, and would take something big, like a coup, to force retainers to try to form their own kingdom.

Introduction

Following the successful colonization of the South-East Pacific Islands and the Western Coast of Arcadia, the Ming dynasty fell into a period of economic disaster and social disorder. The economic burdens came in turn from these successful colonies, which were dependent on continual shipment of supplies from the homeland, and the increase spending on the Imperial Army. The Imperial Court and the Dragon Emperor instituted a new system of taxes that bled the people of all but the absolute least amount of gold and rice they could live off of. This was only suficient to continue to pay for the colonies and the Imperial Court's coffers, leaving the Imperial Army out to dry.

Both the peasants and the Imperial Soldiers began protests throughout the Kingdom. The Ming Emperor quickly had dispatches sent to acting Generals and Warlords with order to put down these protests, and many were obeyed. Blood flowed down the streets of the Middle Kingdom, as thousands died defending themselves and their lively hood from the Imperial butchers.

This senseless slaughter encouraged 2 disgruntled Warlords, angered at the intensity of the killings, to break away from the Ming Dynasty and form their own Kingdoms, the Shun and Daxi. They quickly speard their influence and gained much territory from the now crumbling Ming Dynasty, with the Shun now even marching on Beijing. The capital of the Ming Dynasty was taken, and the Imperial Court and the Emperor forced into exile while this new threat was dealt with.

Away from the interior of China however, with cease of supplies from the mainland, the colonies that had been set up in the Pacific and Arcadia quickly shook off the shackles of Ming control and established Republics. Inter-marriage and disease quickly wiped out the local populations of these colonies until only the decendents of these colonists were left. These new democracies would quickly expand, and unite in their respective areas to counter the threat of increasing European contact.

Back in China, after years of shun occupation, the Ming Dynasty was able to take back control of Beijing and its neighboring counties, with the help of a large peasant force and the backing of Manchurian mercenaries. The Manchurian's siding with the Ming after their disaterous attempt to unite the steppes of Mongolia showed their inadequacies in the art of warfare. Zheng Chenggong, a former Imperial Navy Admiral, quickly showed his allegiance by gathering a navy of those who shared his views, and launching his own war against the naval forces of the Ming and Manchurians. Chenggong quickly became a hero across the land to those oppressed and many joined his force. Though Chenggong's efforts greatly aided the Shun's war effort, it would be all for naught as Beijing eventually fell to the combinded forces of the Ming and Manchurians.

Chenggong, dissatisfied with this outcome, decided to unite the land under his own banner and set forth with his navy to Taiwan. He hoped to use Taiwan as a base to train his troops and launch attacks onto the mainland, and so an attack was launched against the Dutch troops stationed on the island. In less than a year, Fort Provintia was captured, and siege laid unto Fort Zeelandia. The Dutch Governor quickly capitulated, and the Kingdom of Tungning was established with Zheng Chenggong as its King.

koxingastatue.jpg

Statue of our proud founder, Zheng Chenggong.

Several decades pass, with the peace between the Ming and Manchurians ending after a incident that saw the Capital of the former Ming Dynasty, Beijing, fall to the Manchurian hordes, and the Ming government moving to Nanjing, and the Tungning expanding into the Northern Philipine Islands. The Christian converts of the mainland however, angered after years of persecution by the Ming, rise up against the Dynasty, anf form their own Kingdom, The Holy Kingdom of Taiping. They quickly take ground out from under the Ming and reduce the Dynasty to just a cordon of provinces around the Capital. This is when the current King of the Tungning, Zheng Bei, decides to strike and re-asert his Kingdom's influence onto the mainland.

The Taiping, with their 3 "Holy" Armies, were continously pushing the Ming armies back into their cordon when the Tungning striked. Landing on the coast, the Tungning's smaller, but better equiped, army encircled the Taiping's Army of the Cross and wiped it out to the last man. Ripple's were quickly seen throughout the Taiping military as the illusion of Holy Mandate was crashed to the ground. A "white" peace was signed between all 3 powers as the Taiping were realing from the destruction of the Army of the Cross, and the Ming did not have the strength to utilize this advantage.

The year is now 1836, and the Tungnig have a foothold on the Continent. Will Bei be able to see his ancestor's dream into fuitition, or will the Tungning be nothing but a foothold in this chaotic time?

v23r.png

The holdings of the Kingdom on the mainland, Tungning, and the Northern Philipines.

Last edited:
ok guys, im gona start working on chapter 1. im gona try to get it up tonight, but it might not get here until some time tomarrow, wish me luck :D

edit: well thanks to a freezing up of my computer, i lost everything i had typed just as i was about to publish it. :( so im gona have to retype everything tomarrow, and just to give a heads up, its not very exciting, being the starting up of the nation, so everything is pretty bland

Last edited:
Great, I love Divergences AARs.:) Subscribed!

Chapter 1: Starting Up

The date was January 1, 1836, and Zheng Bei, Great King of Tungning, was making plans for the future of the Kingdom. It was decided that a strategic redeployment of the armies would take place. The Army of the Phoenix Emperor was redeployed to the province of Ningbo, while the New Model Army would be moved to Taizhou, both along the shared border with the Ming. This was decided to deter any aggressive acts by the Ming in the coming months, as tensions were flying high after the recent annexation of the Tungning coastline.

v24n.png

After the military aspect of the Kingdom was attended to, Bei received word about the diplomatic situation of the year. It has been known for some time, that Tungning is the most advanced Kingdom of the warring Chinese stares, but still has rough relations with the nations of the world. Perhaps a rising of our placement among the rest of the nations will improve things.

v25q.png

There then came news of the completion of a national census, with great news. The people were almost completely united behind a common religion, as well as the ideology of a jingoistic war policy the government. More then 80% of our population are of an accepted culture, so no need to worry there for some time, but the employment of our Kingdom does worry us. Close to 85% of our people are humble tea farmers, something that must change if we are to unite China. So Bei gives his approval for a propaganda campaign to encourage soldiers in several of our regions, as well as officers among the elite back on Taiwan.

v26.png

This encouragement for the people to switch away from farming gained a boon after a large harvest of tea. Being one of the world's largest suppliers of tea, this was seen as a great boost to both the economy, thanks to an increase in sales, and to help promote a discouragement of farmers. It was decided that the farmers would be allowed to keep any surplus of the tea they could, and so many chose to switch away from farming for some time, now that their livelihood was taken care of for some time. It was also decided, that our merchants would begin to study abroad in the hopes of gaining new understanding to the "Freedom of Trade".

v28j.png

There soon came news from abroad, from a few of the Great Powers of the world. It appears that both Burgundy and Scandinavia had rejected the proposed Malacca Treaties. This will surely increase their control over their South-East Asian holdings, but will greatly anger the local Malaccan nation, as it seeks to unite all Malaccans under its rule. This turn of events shall greatly upset the balance of power in the area, and may prove useful in any eventual expansions into the area.

v29.png

Then in Fabruary, Zheng Bei, fed up with constant arguing with the current Chancelor and Ruling Parliament Party, decided to dissban the current government and nominated the Monarchists, a conservative party that would utilize the people's diversity as well as calls for jingoistic policies, to lead the new government.

v210.png

There eventually came news in Arpil from abroad. It seems that in the Great Nation of Grand Colombia, the current acting President had called for a Congress to meet at Andagoya to begin discussion of a new National Constitution, after the formation of Grand Colombia in 1835. This Congress has been called to ease the rising tensions between the various cultures of the Republic and prevent the out-right secession of the member states. In other news, it appears that the Dual Kingdom of Daxi-Shun has finally fell apart after centuries of working together to re-unite the land after their initial breaking-away from Ming in 1760. This shall greatly cause a disturbance throughout these two Kingdoms, as retainers and nobles on both sides are forced to chose their allegiance to one or the other. This will surely allow us some chance to move for the capital.

v211.png

v212.png

Looking good - I liked the Aragon AAR so I'll follow this :)