• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What makes Chile so special then? Chile's population grows on steroids from day 1.

So does the Central American Republic...it's that early democracy thing. I think the game pops prefer to immigrate to democracies first and anywhere else second in the game. I would like to eventually see immigration better explained sometime by the developers since I figure economic incentives aren't as well represented in the game since when I played Argentina the NF for immigration early in the game didn't do squat.

Historically it wasn't because of democracy only. For my ancestors, they left Russia for the UK in 1880s/90s, then half went to US and half to Argentina in the 1910s/20s. Both countries had a lot of economic opportunities at the time so it wasn't just politics in the end.

Argentina and Brazil are both countries built on European immigration, it's kinda sad that it's not that way in Vicky2, wish it was a bit more accurate historically.

This COULD be fixed, simply by placing a distance calculation into the system. It's cheaper to take a boat ride to the USA than it would be to take one to Argentina or Brazil (in most situations, I think Brazil might be closer to Portugal), and it's even more expensive than taking a ride to Ecuador or Chile. This could be used at a 50% weighting to emigration targets with the other 50% being the traditional things used as targets. However I suspect that adding this to the code would need to be done in an expansion.

What makes Chile so special then? Chile's population grows on steroids from day 1.

Chile and Ecuador are Democracies, which get a massive boost to immigrant attraction. Combined with empty RGO's and low unemployment this causes a spike in their immigration.

You don't need them to rebel, get high militancy and get landed voting and harassment party method and you'll become a democracy

How can I reform to a democracy as Germany(or any prussian constitutionalist country for that matter)? Is it possible to overthrow the kaiser peacefully?

acepilotf14_1306581165.png

These are my reforms so far.

You will become a Constitutional Monarchy (strangely called "HM's Government" in game) if you get at least "Only Landed" and at least "Non-Secret Ballots". For some countries, like Germany, this will change the country's name and flag to that of the Democracy. You cannot, however completely get rid of your monarch peacefully.

Who would want to rid germany of the Kaiser though ? :O

The only nations with which i prefer democracies, are the american ones for the immigration bonus :p

How can I reform to a democracy as Germany(or any prussian constitutionalist country for that matter)? Is it possible to overthrow the kaiser peacefully?

These are my reforms so far.

It's possible by rolling back the UH, voting system and parties reforms and becoming one of the dictatorship types. A dictatorship can then be reformed to democracy.

To be able to roll back reforms your UH has to have at least 50% of combined reactionary and communist representantion. You can add fascists to this score but only if you have a fascist ruling party (which you can appoint easily once it appears). The first reform you roll back is of course the UH to be Ruling Party Only.

Its quite hard getting that many reactionaries though. And what conditions is it specifically to get "Presedential Dictatorship" or "Bourgeosie dictatorship"? I thought it just went back to absolute monarchy?

Facist dictatorship event doesn't check if you are a monarchy or not, and they would back any reform, so they are the best choice in this case, reactionary and anarcho-liberal dictatorship wouldn't even allow you to get non-party upper house so you can't go for democracy

Its quite hard getting that many reactionaries though. And what conditions is it specifically to get "Presedential Dictatorship" or "Bourgeosie dictatorship"? I thought it just went back to absolute monarchy?

Requirements are the same for all the dictatorships (both from constitutional monarchies and democracy):
Ruling extremist party of the respective type - communist, fascist, anarcho-liberal or reactionary
Upper House : Ruling Party Only (this is the one you need to roll back 1st)
Vote Franchise: None
Political Parties: Only Underground

The problem is that VF: None is also a prerequisite for Absolute Monarchy, so sometimes you get that instead. You need to recycle back to constitutionalism then.

Facist dictatorship event doesn't check if you are a monarchy or not, and they would back any reform, so they are the best choice in this case, reactionary and anarcho-liberal dictatorship wouldn't even allow you to get non-party upper house so you can't go for democracy

Agree, fascists dictatorship is the one capable or reforming itself to a democracy easily in two years.

There are ways for any dictatorship to become a democracy peacefully. Note you need only 3 reforms to become a democracy from a dictatorship: UH: Appointed+, VF: Landed+, Parties: Harrasment+.
a) Any country with UH: Ruling Party Only eventually gets the event which changes it to UH: Appointed. You can usually continue reforms then.
b) Enacting or rolling back reforms fills your UH with conservatives even in a dictatorship. And conservatives can allow you the UH reform if your population militancy is high enough.
c) When you become a dictatorship you still keep your old UH composition until the end of the year. So you can possibly have 100% liberals there and again reform a lot.

Last edited:
The problem is Fascists only come into the game later, by this time some most GPs are already steaming away with industrial score.

BTW are reactionaries high militancy, low consciousness? Is putting a Nationalist party in power a good idea?

Thanks everybody for the advices, in the end what i did was declaring war on any nation and then white peace, It worked and I became a democracy in almost no time :)
Here's a screenie, note the 26mill people inhabiting glorious Argentina!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was one crazy game, I saw the US become a secondary power and be sphered by the Confederates then they became a Monarchy, also the AI formed Austria Hungary and the Mexican Empire, heck I even had a westernized China and Japan (which explains the insane influx of migrants)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
You don't need them to rebel, get high militancy and get landed voting and harassment party method and you'll become a democracy

I will test that in my Brazil game, but I don't think that will work. AFAIK, in HMS Government, changing the voting policy or the party policy does not changes the government to democracy. I'll post an update later.

There is a file that determines the attraction for immigrants for government type. I had a problem with no immigrants for Brazil which is a HMS (ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS, THAT THIS GOVERNMENT TYPE DOES NOT ATTRACT IMMIGRANTS AT LEAST CLOSE TO AS WELL AS DEMOCRACIES)/

Someone pointed out the file to me, where I subsequently added a modifier for HMS governments just below that of democracies (modifier was .5 for a democracy if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, I never got a chance to try it out, got sick of only getting 88 immigrants in a span of 50 years before I found that solution. Plus, I don't remember the file name or location off hand, but altering that would be alot quicker and way less gamey than changing to a democracy.

There is a file that determines the attraction for immigrants for government type. I had a problem with no immigrants for Brazil which is a HMS (ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS, THAT THIS GOVERNMENT TYPE DOES NOT ATTRACT IMMIGRANTS AT LEAST CLOSE TO AS WELL AS DEMOCRACIES)/

Someone pointed out the file to me, where I subsequently added a modifier for HMS governments just below that of democracies (modifier was .5 for a democracy if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, I never got a chance to try it out, got sick of only getting 88 immigrants in a span of 50 years before I found that solution. Plus, I don't remember the file name or location off hand, but altering that would be alot quicker and way less gamey than changing to a democracy.

Also, a lot of the immigrants that came to Brazil in the period, came because it was a HMS government, since they felt that a monarchical head of state was symbol of greater stability. In a way, they viewed democracies as unstable governments - specially in South America. Of course, I don't have the info nor the understanding to create an accurate model of immigration for all of the nations of South America, let alone for even more countries.

So, the only way for a Monarchy to become a Democracy is to let Jakobian rebels occupy the Capital for a year?

I believe I saw that in a game happen to Prussia, and they just became a Prussian Constitutionalism.

So, the only way for a Monarchy to become a Democracy is to let Jakobian rebels occupy the Capital for a year?

I believe I saw that in a game happen to Prussia, and they just became a Prussian Constitutionalism.
Jacobins will make monarchies less absolute. You have to get to HM before they will turn you into a democracy.

+1

And this mostly takes a few failed humiliation wars, or perhaps quite a few, to do on a quick timescale.

+1

And this mostly takes a few failed humiliation wars, or perhaps quite a few, to do on a quick timescale.

Is there something in-game which I'm missing that tells us what's needed to go from Presidential Dictatorship to Democracy? Cause after taking a long break from Vicky2, and going back to Haiti cause I know I enjoyed it alot the first time, I found myself back at square one. I picked voting and thought "voting's Democracy, right?" Then I remembered there was more.

Glad to see that I confirmed the efficacy of the plan, though ("I'd like to thank me for flying me airways").