• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haha, you should have seen the world when I wasnt around getting rid of people. Scandinavia, The Netherlands, the Ottomans, Canada, some others I forgot were all GP's. I think my brutal interventions really screwed up history, or maybe as you said, improved it to my likings? Haha. But thats what I like about PDM, I actually feel like Im in control when Im the number one, or two or three or whatever person in the world. Its quite fun.

Again, those aren't particularly weird; the Ottos were a GP through the period, the Netherlands have no major reason not to be, and Scandinavia is a highly literate industrial European nation. 'Weird' would be Sokoto and Equador colonizing Europe and China civving by 1860 :)

Again, those aren't particularly weird; the Ottos were a GP through the period, the Netherlands have no major reason not to be, and Scandinavia is a highly literate industrial European nation. 'Weird' would be Sokoto and Equador colonizing Europe and China civving by 1860 :)

Is it weird that in one game I played Great Britain became the workers commonwealth? :D

Not really; why shouldn't GB go commie? What'd be weird is if Cornwall released itself, became a GP and then annexed Brunei.

Last edited:
1G7mY.jpg

Again, par for the course. This isn't just some random variation in a sandbox game, this is a clear game imbalance. I forgot to mention the years, by the way. That first picture I sent is from 1860. This one is from 1865. I don't have a picture for it, but in 1850, I (the UK) had them beat by about 200 points.

Edit: Just so you don't have to go back and look, that means from 1850 to 1860 they jumped nearly 800 points, and then from 1860 to 1865, they jumped another 500. It's truly inexplicable.

Last edited:
If you're using the 1.3 patch, then this is only to be expected with the lux clothes ind score thing. Try it with the 1.4 beta instead; the change to industrial score calculations has helped deal with France.

Hmmm. Russia industrially equal with the UK in 1865 is a problem too, then.

1G7mY.jpg

Again, par for the course. This isn't just some random variation in a sandbox game, this is a clear game imbalance. I forgot to mention the years, by the way. That first picture I sent is from 1860. This one is from 1865. I don't have a picture for it, but in 1850, I (the UK) had them beat by about 200 points.

Edit: Just so you don't have to go back and look, that means from 1850 to 1860 they jumped nearly 800 points, and then from 1860 to 1865, they jumped another 500. It's truly inexplicable.

how odd, as germany france only made about 500 by 1860... after i invaded her and occupied her 4 times and spain invaded once

do you have the new patch installed properly?

You mentioned France is mass producing Luxury goods, this to me sounds like 1.4 hasn't properly overwritten 1.3 resulting in the the imbalance.

You did mention a war or two that France had endured, in 1.4 most but not all her Farmers would be rehired immediately, the spill off probably went into her factories.
My current Russia game, after I'd occupied everything up to Vienna helping Italy reclaim Istria Austria had an industrial boom and overtook the UK, but the UK and myself have overtaken Austria now the dust has settled.

If you're 1.4 isn't installed correctly though, her Farmers will re-employ so slowly that she will mass industrialise as you've seen. Try re-installing the patch and seeing it that fixes anything?

As I've said in all my 1.4 games France has hung around the top 3-4 Ind wise. Germany/Austria have taken it in turns to have industrial miracles. One game the Netherlands become a GP on Ind score alone. France has been normal. The only mod's I made to my games are a few new countries; Iberia, Belarus, nothing that touches the ind mechanic at all.

GPs1877.jpg

Russian game, 1877, aside from Austria-Hungary nothing seems too out of place to me. I'm playing Russia so it's obviously doing better than it would under the AI. The US just finished the Civil War and the Mexican Concessions so they're in the middle of rebuilding or would be if it wasn't defending itself from the UK. France more importantly is #3.

My Mil score is so high because I just agreed to aid the US in defending against the UK before I saved, the other Mil scores havent updated to "war footing" yet.

I know I have 1.4 installed because it says so at the bottom left of my screen. I copied everything over again just for good measure and ran another test as Hawaii. Here are the results....

s1La6.jpg

UIroZ.jpg

ua9Tf.jpg

Edit: I had a picture from 1865 here that I just realized was from a different game. Took it down.

T7dFO.jpg

PGDcg.jpg

gY6QU.jpg

More general trends I've noticed (mostly from 1.3):
Russia tends not to bother trying to conquer central Asia, though they sometimes take one or two of the central asian countries.
France is often the first one to colonize Africa and gets a pretty big head start (in this last 1.4 game, they took about 90% of Africa.)
Britain tends to be non-factor. In the 1.3 games they sometimes took the second spot due to Military score. In this last 1.4 game they managed to take #2 because they got tons of prestige - I assume from technology because they certainly weren't colonizing anything.
Prussia does well when it forms Germany. Unfortunately, that only happens about 50% of the time.

All in all, I'm kindof disappointed with the mechanics of the game so far. I'm hoping they manage to make the game more playable and more along the lines of history. And I'm hoping they do it without making me shell out another 40 dollars for a standalone expansion.

Last edited:
By the way, I loaded up some of these tests as France just to see what they were up to. Luxury Furniture seems to be the general trend. That is, they have one luxury furniture factory in every state, often around level 13 o4 14 in 1890 and typically half to fully stocked with employees. I'm all but certain this is where they're getting their insane score from... so I'm thinking that the industrial score 'fix' didn't really fix anything.

Last edited:
France - I started playing the game mostly as Great Britain and I noticed that France seemed to consistently cream me in terms of Industrial score. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, so I decided to start a few games as Hawaii and see what would happen if I just passively observed. The results were pretty much the same as my British games - France would lag behind until about 1850, at which point it's industrial score would zoom ahead of Great Britain, beating it by 200 - 300 points by 1854.

QUOTE]

France has been the bane of my existence since 1.3, it never used to be like that tbw. I have not tried the beta but Im hoping that 1.4 will sort it out.

Russian game, 1877, aside from Austria-Hungary nothing seems too out of place to me. I'm playing Russia so it's obviously doing better than it would under the AI. The US just finished the Civil War and the Mexican Concessions so they're in the middle of rebuilding or would be if it wasn't defending itself from the UK. France more importantly is #3.

Don't know what to say. I've played three games as the UK, one as Prussia and five as Hawaii and none of them failed to see France take the top spot by a wide, wide margin. Could you load it up as France in that game and see if they spammed luxury furniture factories?

Load up as Great Britain and close all the factories that can't make a profit(both with and without subsidiaries). I noticed in my US game that when I did this, my industrial score would shoot up a few points per factory. I guess how much your factories profit is totaled up, and then the amount your factories are losing is subtracted from that.

If you guys already knew this and were taking this into account, feel free to ignore me :)

acepilotf14_1306254425.png

Quite the contrary happened in my USA game I played for the past seven hours.(1.3) This is at 1880.

The UK has been being an asshole all game. Do thousands really need to die for a small strip of land in Maine, Britain? Do they?!

In any case, that 6k score really bothers me. I guess it's because they annexed part of China and more of India but.. idunno. It's annoying.

Last edited:
Don't know what to say. I've played three games as the UK, one as Prussia and five as Hawaii and none of them failed to see France take the top spot by a wide, wide margin. Could you load it up as France in that game and see if they spammed luxury furniture factories?

France roughly 1/4 of France has Luxury goods factories and the basics needed to make them. Overall though she is building a little of everything.Russia, me, with 200+ Guard Brigades has quite a few Luxury Factories, however, France's like my own are fully manned and profitable. Note it's 1905 now and I've overtaken the UK myself.

Do a quick test game by removing subsidies from the common/issues.txt, simply change all the can_subsidise = yes to no and see what happens. If France is just riding the early Luxury boom then she'll need to subsidies them. Deleting subsidies should leave only the profitable around.

@Felicity; This is why Chinese concessions need to be limited to Coastal provinces, as opposed to random bites of inner China.