• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Welcome back to the Sengoku Development diary series. You may have noticed that we started accepting applications for the beta testing period yesterday. We look forward to a smooth and efficienct testing period with a dedicated group of you.

Today, we'll talk a little bit about the internal dynamics in your own court. Every playable lord has their own court in their home castle. While the court contains several characters beyond the lord's immediate family, there are three specific titles in the court that have special abilities that you can utilize to strengthen your rule. Each of these characters can be given a task that will help your rule in various ways.

First of all there is the Master of Ceremonies. The character placed in this role relies on his diplomatic ability to perform his given tasks. He can be put on improving the village of a province, which will make him order people around to build new buildings and strengthen the economic base of the village. He can also be sent to another lord to improve the relations between you and that lord. Finally, he can be sent to a province to squeeze out extra taxes from it, which is useful when you need that extra money.

Secondly, we have the Master of Arms, who uses his martial attribute as the ability affecting how well he does his tasks. He can be sent to improve the castle of a province, which increases its defensive capabilities. If you need to get more troops out of a province, he can be sent there to hire troops, and if a province is particularly unruly, he can go there to restore order.

The final title is the Master of the Guard. The person you select for this role should be the one that has the best intrigue attribute. One of the tasks he can perform is improving guilds in a province, which slowly unlocks manufactory slots, where you can build some unique and special buildings. If you wish to harass a rival lord, send this character to him with the order to sow dissent in one province which will make his peasants unruly. Finally, you can task this master with hiring ninjas. And no, we won't spill the details just yet on the ninjas...
Sengoku_Dev_Diary_110520_Court_view.jpg

I think it's good that you're using some cross over terminology from other games, eg diplo/martial/intrigue. As long as it doesn't mean something different (eg "White Peace") it should make it easier to pick up and play.

Can those tasks only be carried out through the appointed court member, and can they only carry out one task at a time? For example, can you only improve one castle at a time, and can you not hire extra troops at the same time? That would probably be a good thing, if everything is balanced, because it makes the choice more meaningful.

Interesting. Will the Master of the Guard also guard you against foreign ninja and/or intrigue attacks?

Will candidates for those titles be only randomly generated courtiers, scripted characters or can they be drawn from your vassals?

They have to be in your court, so they can't be lords of their own.

I think it's good that you're using some cross over terminology from other games, eg diplo/martial/intrigue. As long as it doesn't mean something different (eg "White Peace") it should make it easier to pick up and play.

Can those tasks only be carried out through the appointed court member, and can they only carry out one task at a time? For example, can you only improve one castle at a time, and can you not hire extra troops at the same time? That would probably be a good thing, if everything is balanced, because it makes the choice more meaningful.

Each councilor has three actions that only he can perform and can only do one at a time. We hope that this will give the player meaningful strategic choices and keep micro management down.

Interesting. Will the Master of the Guard also guard you against foreign ninja and/or intrigue attacks?

Yes, he's responsible for security.

Keep this diary on topic, please.

Basically the court positions in CK, except they can do a specific task. That's a good improvement.

Yea, I like the simple yet elegant way the buildings system is balanced here: Not the magistrates of EU3, but you can only build one thing at a time (you only have one Master of Ceremonies).

I like the court system, with specific tasks. Now, does each advisor keep doing what he is told to do indefinitely (i.e., until told to do otherwise) or is there a time limit for each task (i.e., you get an event saying, I have returned, my liege. What is your will?).

I like the court system, with specific tasks. Now, does each advisor keep doing what he is told to do indefinitely (i.e., until told to do otherwise) or is there a time limit for each task (i.e., you get an event saying, I have returned, my liege. What is your will?).

Some, like squeeze out extra tax, continues until you revoke it. Others like upgrading the castle or building a manufactory ends upon completion.

Will the militancy increase when you try to squeeze out extra tax(if it exist)

But of course! Nothing comes for free...

How much will improving your provinces depend on your own work and resources? Can people there build structures on their own, say manufactories? Can you get buildings by event for example?

How much will improving your provinces depend on your own work and resources? Can people there build structures on their own, say manufactories? Can you get buildings by event for example?

You must build them yourself, but there are a few random events that can lead to a new buidling - but these usually come at some sort of cost.

Is kokujin a title of some kind, or perhaps a clan name in addition to the family name? Must have missed some earlier details.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as there are daimyo and hatamoto, can the hatamoto have vassals when they grow strong enough? or will the vassals named by the hatamoto become the daimyo's vassals?
Just like when in CK you are a count, give your son a title and he becomes a vassal to your liege instead of you.