The 1356 Start Date Submod
Extract the contents to your /mod folder and enjoy!
About this Submod
This is a submod for Magna Mundi Ultimate 1.26 (not an official release, but with permission of Ubik). As you can guess from the title, it sets the start date back to 1356. It is a "beta" version, not perfectly historically accurate and not perfectly polished. Basically, I wrote it as a trial run for a proper 1356 mod which I plan to do for Magna Mundi the game. However, this "beta" submod is already functional and quite a lot of fun, in my opinion. Pick your favourite nation and see how it fares in this time period. You should also try out one of the Chinese nations sometime to see my biggest original contribution, an event chain for the Red Turban Rebellion (see post below).
Credit Where Credit Is Due
Since this is a submod for Magna Mundi, my first thanks go to Ubik and his team for their outstanding work. I only added a little dabbling of my own on top of what they have already done. I also have to give a lot of credit to Gigau and his team, the creators of the wonderful MEIOU mod. The idea of using January 10th, 1356 (the date of the Golden Bull) as a starting date was inspired by MEIOU. Moreover, Gigau graciously allowed me to use data from the country files of his mod for the starting rulers, so I did not have to do all the research from scratch (except for starting rulers and some slider positions, I did not use any data from MEIOU). Last but not least, I thank CJL78 for letting me use material from his excellent Firenze Submod.
The World in 1356
- Karel IV. von Luxemburg, ruler of Bohemia, is Holy Roman Emperor. The rise of the Habsburgs has not yet begun. Bavaria owns Tirol and Trent. The Wittelsbach dynasty also rules in Brandenburg, the Palatinate, Hainaut and Holland.
- Naples is an independent nation (not in a PU under Aragon) and leads a PU with Provence.
- Hungary and Lithuania are independent nations, not in a PU under Austria or Poland, respectively. I made Croatia a separate nation in a PU under Hungary.
- Norway and Sweden are independent from Denmark, not in a PU or a PU war.
- In Russia, Novgorod is the biggest power, not Muscovy. It is a very interesting choice for a human player. If both nations are AI, Muscovy will eventually become dominant due to its military supremacy, as it did in actual history.
- The Byzantine-Ottoman wars are in full swing. The Byzantine Empire owns Thrace, Edirne and Salonica. In the hands of a human player, it still has a fighting chance against the onslaught of the Turk. Bulgaria and Serbia, both medium-sized nations, are other interesting choices to play in the Balkans.
- In Persia, the Jalayirids, the Muzaffarids, the Kartids, the Sarbadars and the Timurids fight for the succession of the Ilkhanate. An interesting assortment of new nations there!
- In China, Han Chinese "Red Turban" rebels are fighting to overthrow the Mongol Yuan dynasty (see post below).
Most Important Changes in Version 1.0
- Since this is supposed to be more of a "sandbox" game than regular MMU, all nations start with only two pre-selected national ideas, not with three. I chose the two pre-selected ideas which I consider the most historically essential for a country. You can pick your third national idea around 1420, the fourth, fifth etc. at the usual MMU times.
- I did not re-write the entire tech trees to extend them backwards (remember, this is only a "beta" submod). Instead, I lowered the starting tech levels for all nations. Europeans now start at level 2, Chinese nations at level 4, and so on. Everything else regarding tech remains the same (including the research penalties for the non-European nations, of course).
- The Ottomans start as a Despotic Monarchy. They will become an Administrative Monarchy once they take Constantinople and proclaim Kayzer-i-Rum. This simulates the superb administrative capabilities of the Ottomans after the conquest of Constantinople (remember, the Ottomans start as an Administrative Monarchy in the normal 1453 game).
- Two new Casus Belli have been added: a "Red Turban Rebellion" CB for the various Chinese nations, and an "Ilkhanate Succession War" CB for the nations in Persia.
Changes in Version 1.01
- Gotland now starts as a province of Sweden. Denmark also gets a core on the island to encourage the historical conflict.
- In an attempt to save them from instant collapse, the Golden Horde now starts the game allied with Kazan, Nogai and the Uzbeks.
- Fixed some cores for Muscovy, Lithuania and the Golden Horde.
- Fixed the "Yuan Dynasty Victorious" event (1356022) so that it fires only once, instead of firing continuously.
Changes in Version 1.1
(changes marked with * are taken from CJL78's Firenze Submod)
The Christianisation of Lithuania:
- True to history, Lithuania now starts as a pagan nation in 1356. After some time (before 1400 in most games), it will get an event ("The Christianisation of Lithuania") which gives the option of becoming Catholic, becoming Orthodox or (very rarely chosen by the AI) staying pagan.
- If Lithuania becomes Orthodox, and if Russia exists and is a monarchy, there is the possibility of a Russian-Lithuanian Commonwealth forming.
- More details here.
The Kalmar Union:
- If a Scandinavian nation under the AI gets a regency or a ruler with weak legitimacy, there is a chance of a Kalmar Union forming.
- More details here.
Greeks Colonise Asia Minor:
- If Asia Minor comes firmly under Greek rule again, the culture of coastal provinces in the Turkey region will change to Greek.
- More details here.
Hundred Years' War (still very crude):
- England starts the game at war with France and its vassals.
- Navarra starts the game at war with France and its vassals, and owning Normandy (but without cores on Normandy).
- Edward the Black Prince, the English heir, has his stats slightly buffed. He is also a (very capable) general at game start.
- England starts strongly decentralized (+5 instead of +2).
- England gets an "English Longbowmen" modifier until 1425, giving a bonus to morale and leader shock.
- England starts with the Naval Fighting Instruction NI instead of Grand Navy.
Tolerance and tolerance-related NIs:
- Humanist Tolerance or Ecumenism cannot be picked by states with Divine Supremacy and vice versa.*
- Ecumenism cannot be picked by states with Unam Sanctam.*
- Ecumenism can be picked with Humanist Tolerance or LEF as a prerequisite.
- Humanist Tolerance and Ecumenism give negative effects to missionaries per year, cost, and success chance.*
- Humanist Tolerance's tolerance of heathens increased from 2.00 to 3.00.*
- Tolerance's effects on missionary success chance increased by 1000% (10x). This effect was negligible before. This makes tolerated religions very difficult if not impossible to convert, depending on country.*
- Merchant Republics now receive -1 missionaries/year. (Without certain religious decisions, DS and/or very traditional sliders, merchant republics will not get missionaries)*
- New "Spice Trade War" mutual CB for nations controlling Constantinople, Alexandria, and Cairo until 1600. Primarily designed for the Ottomans and the Mamluks, the CB gives lower cost and infamy for taking provinces in Turkey and the Muslim Mediterranean.*
- The Holy War of Expansion CB is now available to any Muslim/Christian neighbours anywhere in Europe, North Africa or the Levant (not Georgia or Ethiopia). However, provinces can still only be taken for cheap infamy in Iberia, the Balkans and Russia as in standard MMU.*
- Because Austria in 1356 is quite different from the typical Habsburg-Austria game in 1453, Austria can now form Germany, like any other nation with one of the German cultures as its primary culture (not Dutch!).
- The Mughal Empire can now be formed by any Altaic, Turkic or Persian nation which meets the requirements - even the Timurids. However, you must not be a Major Power or a Great Power already. Only "rising nations" are allowed to proclaim themselves as the Mughal Empire.
- Prerequisites for the "Restore the Byzantine Empire" decision have been changed slightly, and it now gives fewer cores. The decision to "Initiate a Byzantine Resurgence" gives fewer cores as well.
Changes to provinces, cores, capitals etc.:
- Franken now starts as a province of Bohemia, not of the Palatinate. The Palatinate still gets a core, though, to encourage historical development.
- The provinces of Kursk and Poltava now belong to the Golden Horde at game start, not to Lithuania.
- Iceland is now under the rule of Norway, not Denmark.
- The Ottomans now start with a core on Thrace.
- The Livonian Order now starts with a core on Riga (LIV tends to suicidally DOW Riga without a CB anyway, historical justification Riga and the Order were part of a broader Livonian Confederation).*
- Lithuania now starts with cores on Smolensk and Podolia, as these were historically contested regions during the game's starting period.
- The Golden Horde now starts with cores on Azow and Kaffa.
- Brittany: Capital moved to Rennes (Armor).*
- Georgia: Capital moved to T'blisi (changed to Imereti in MMP in order to prevent GEO's early annexation, but this leads to weirder outcomes in MMU).*
Changes to starting NIs and starting rulers:
- The Ottomans start with Military Drill instead of National Conscripts.*
- Delhi starts with Humanist Tolerance instead of Grand Army, and with -1 Innovative/Narrowminded.
- Bohemia starts with Divine Supremacy instead of Ecumenism.
- Lithuania starts with Humanist Tolerance instead of Ecumenism.
- Golden Horde starts with Battlefield Commisions instead of Grand Army.
- England starts with Naval Fighting Instruction instead of Grand Navy.
- Slight changes made to the stats of the starting rulers of Bohemia, Austria, Poland and the Golden Horde, and the starting heir of England (Edward the Black Prince).
- Fixed a missing localisation error with the "Red Turban Rebellion" modifier for the Yuan.
- Fixed the "The $COUNTRY$ Dynasty" event (1356014) so that it fires only once, instead of firing continuously.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Burgundy from petitioning to become a kingdom.
- Fixed a bug that prevented a restored Byzantine Empire (after Ottoman conquest) from making Constantinople Greek and Orthodox again.
- Jewish settlement bug fixed: expelled Jews can now resettle in other countries.*
- The Byzantine Empire is no longer able to take the "Restore the Byzantine Empire" decision.
- The Yuan can no longer take the "Unite the Hordes" decision or form Qing.
- Religion in Lappland and Kola changed from Tengriist to Animist.
- Citysize in Österbotten changed to 1000 to prevent it from running out of population.
- Macau port fix included.*