Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: One-feature-a-day articles: #11 The Industrial Base

  1. #1

    Lightbulb One-feature-a-day articles: #11 The Industrial Base

    Industries in Pride of Nations play a major role, to say the least. Great Britain is well into the Industrial revolution at the start of the game, and it shows! France and other countries are to a lesser extent industrializing; while other major nations (and many minor ones) are totally backward, like Russia or Japan.

    Industries are able to process raw merchandise into manufactured goods. First and foremost is the Steel Mill that is a real necessity for your nation, if you want to build advanced structures. We took some provisions though to prevent a deadlock of the game. First, you can rather easily build mines that will produce the raw resources necessary to operate a steel mill. Then each major nation has a nice feature called ‘intrinsic production’. This production is the abstraction of the work of the thousands of craftsmen each nation had. In game terms, it means that every major nation will receive a few advanced resources each turn, like for example 1 steel unit, 1 mechanical part. By hoarding these resources, you’ll be able, even if nobody wants to sell steel, to create your first structures.

    But this is just an extra arrow in your quiver anyway, as international trade is your friend here: No nation was self sufficient historically, even Great-Britain. So you’ll see many countries in the world constantly selling products, including steel. Perhaps not as much as you want, but there will be always a proposal somewhere to check. To succeed or not in acquiring the product is another matter; that will depend of your skills in commerce, and perhaps your willingness to pay a high price… Or you can try securing a commercial treaty, to double your chances. There are several approaches possible.



    Click image for larger version

Name:	ForeignInvestments.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	36045
    Foreign investment in Chile as Great Britain.



    Selling is a necessity, anyway, for you or the other countries, because selling means net profit. Whether you sell to your own population or to other countries, in the end you’ll always get a bit more in capital than it costs you to produce the goods. So autarky is really not a good idea as it is the slow way to expand: you can succeed this way, but this is not very historical and PON reminds you of that. You’ll want to have production surpluses to earn capital, and rely on international trade to get what you miss, most of the time.

    And then we have another feature that differentiates PON from many other games: You can build structures in other countries! Not all, as you need to target a country which is not under protectionism (and forget Closed Japan for a while!), plus it costs more, but this is quite feasible, if you really want to produce a specific resource. The British had interests in cattle ranches in Argentina, but nothing stops you from acquiring a gold mine in Alaska too!

    Then there is also the possibility of uncovering new resources, with prospectors. We will talk about that with regional decisions.
    In the end, opportunities abound in Pride of Nations, that, you can be sure about…

  2. #2
    You can build structures in other countries
    Like
    there is also the possibility of uncovering new resources
    Also like

  3. #3
    Building in other nations is nicely historical. The wonders of the split money pool at work.

    What about those commercial treaties? Do they merely double your chances or is there a way to get most favoured nation status?
    timeo hominem unius libri

  4. #4
    Major Thormodr's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    798
    This all sounds very good.

    I like the idea of investing in foreign countries as well.

    Looking forward to founding the United Fruit Company and creating some banana republics.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MannheimCouncil View Post
    Building in other nations is nicely historical. The wonders of the split money pool at work.

    What about those commercial treaties? Do they merely double your chances or is there a way to get most favoured nation status?
    There is not this concept per se in PON. What you get as side effect of a Commercial treaty is a chance every turn to get a +1 in relationship between you and the signing nation. And good relationships favor significantly the chance to get a deal with said nation (any deal), and will prevent the AI from doing nasty things against you too. Except if a crisis appears, that is

  6. #6
    Colonel bjfagan's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, USA
    Posts
    913
    Is there any risk for building in other countries, such as, the possibility of nationalizing a structure or closing the country to a player later on?

  7. #7
    There is a small risk anytime your relationship is less than 0 with the country.

  8. #8
    Second Lieutenant PSJK's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIIron Cross
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocus View Post
    There is a small risk anytime your relationship is less than 0 with the country.
    If foreign buildings are nationalized is it a casus belli for ex owner?

  9. #9
    First Lieutenant Kodos666's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    War of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Like I'm gonna tell you.
    Posts
    216
    Is it possible to boost this 'intrinsic production' by any measure somewhat like in the 'Great Leap Forward' ?
    Wernher von Braun: I aim for the stars.....but sometimes I hit London


    Every time you ask about book 5 GRRM kills a Stark.

    I'm not lazy, I'm productivity challenged!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PSJK View Post
    If foreign buildings are nationalized is it a casus belli for ex owner?
    When a country decide to seize a foreign investment, because of bad relationships, it can further degrade relationships. We are considering if it can be a cause for crisis right now... Not sure it will make into the 1.00 digital version though, there is still a lot of cool ideas floating around and we must prioritize even more than usual right now.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos666 View Post
    Is it possible to boost this 'intrinsic production' by any measure somewhat like in the 'Great Leap Forward' ?
    Sorry no, not right now but ... theoretically yes, because the amount of intrinsic production (aka craftmen production) is modulable by what we call 'factions modifiers' (I should really talk about modding one day, the limit is your imagination!) ... So one could make an event upping the particular faction modifier that rules craftmen production with an economical option involving preserving craftmen 'savoir-faire' and small business.

  12. #12
    Corporal stormbringer3's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Sengoku

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Staunton, Virginia, United States.
    Posts
    38
    Reading the 8-players AAR I see that you can close a factory. If there is a factory that you think you'll never use, can you disband it for some kind of residual value or upgrade it such as sailing ships to steam ships?
    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Yes you can both close or destroy a factory. You don't get back you investment though.

  14. #14
    The Last Templar Knight MikeFrank's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyDarkest HourEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    munich
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocus View Post
    Industries in Pride of Nations play a major role, to say the least. Great Britain is well into the Industrial revolution at the start of the game, and it shows! France and other countries are to a lesser extent industrializing; while other major nations (and many minor ones) are totally backward, like Russia or Japan.

    Industries are able to process raw merchandise into manufactured goods. First and foremost is the Steel Mill that is a real necessity for your nation, if you want to build advanced structures. We took some provisions though to prevent a deadlock of the game. First, you can rather easily build mines that will produce the raw resources necessary to operate a steel mill. Then each major nation has a nice feature called ‘intrinsic production’. This production is the abstraction of the work of the thousands of craftsmen each nation had. In game terms, it means that every major nation will receive a few advanced resources each turn, like for example 1 steel unit, 1 mechanical part. By hoarding these resources, you’ll be able, even if nobody wants to sell steel, to create your first structures.

    But this is just an extra arrow in your quiver anyway, as international trade is your friend here: No nation was self sufficient historically, even Great-Britain. So you’ll see many countries in the world constantly selling products, including steel. Perhaps not as much as you want, but there will be always a proposal somewhere to check. To succeed or not in acquiring the product is another matter; that will depend of your skills in commerce, and perhaps your willingness to pay a high price… Or you can try securing a commercial treaty, to double your chances. There are several approaches possible.



    Attachment 36045
    Foreign investment in Chile as Great Britain.



    Selling is a necessity, anyway, for you or the other countries, because selling means net profit. Whether you sell to your own population or to other countries, in the end you’ll always get a bit more in capital than it costs you to produce the goods. So autarky is really not a good idea as it is the slow way to expand: you can succeed this way, but this is not very historical and PON reminds you of that. You’ll want to have production surpluses to earn capital, and rely on international trade to get what you miss, most of the time.

    And then we have another feature that differentiates PON from many other games: You can build structures in other countries! Not all, as you need to target a country which is not under protectionism (and forget Closed Japan for a while!), plus it costs more, but this is quite feasible, if you really want to produce a specific resource. The British had interests in cattle ranches in Argentina, but nothing stops you from acquiring a gold mine in Alaska too!

    Then there is also the possibility of uncovering new resources, with prospectors. We will talk about that with regional decisions.
    In the end, opportunities abound in Pride of Nations, that, you can be sure about…
    It is right even for that time that any trial to go for autarky in the economics will cost slightly more than to have an open market, but with the open market concept you should consider that for an slightly undeveloped country you will become totally dependant to any great foreign power.
    For the autark economic way in some successful way you should consider the Paraguayan history because Paraguay was around 1850 relatively independant and went on the industrialization path sooner than any other southamerican nation until the War which started 1865...

    greetings

    Mike
    "Nicht kleckern. sondern klotzen..." Guderian

    "Es lebe ein jeder nach seiner Facon(seinem Glauben)..." Friedrich der Grosse

    "Nicht an seinen Reden, sondern an seinen Werken sollst Du den wahren Menschen erkennen..."

    "Nicht mir, nicht mir, Oh Herr, gebührt Ehre, nur Dir mein Gott allein..." Motto of the Templar Knights

    Carpe Noctem!

    AGEOD and Paradox fan with passion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts