• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ooh interesting.

Thanks!

Nice, the plot thickens...

Indeed. Onwards too *classified*!

Interesting stuff. Looking forward to hearing more about the situation in Europe itself.

Thanks! All in due time.

I like this. Subscribes

Thanks!

Enjoyable read, please continue!

Thanks, and I shall!

Cool scenario you are building here. Strong Latin American states grouping into their own military blocs, makes the whole region very nice and unstable.

I look forward to finding out what happened to other regions. Good work!

Thanks! I've tried to set it up to top the other MDS AARs so far. Not sure if I can manage that though, there have been some incredible ones - your Russian and Japanese ones. Same with Asalto's plentiful MDS AARs.

Still though it will be very interesting to see if I can manage to beat, or come close to those in terms of scale :p

I find it strange that Americans let Brazil win against their pawns in the S. America.

Keep an eye out for the update containing America! All shall be explained.

Indeed, their inactivity seems odd; they can't even enforce a peace treaty. Hopefully, Europe *gazes at AuthAAR* can fill that void

It is a completely different world. Anything is possible.

General Strategic Review
Staff Meeting of Lieutenant General Hans Jaeger

Hans.png

euflag.jpg
~ Classified ~
euflag.jpg

world-maybecopy.gif

Map of Eurasia - Intelligence Placement of Divisions Accurate as of 03/05/10.

Hans looked at the mash-up of maps stretching from one side of the wall in his office, right across to the other. Pins and small paper marks marked out the supposed spread of troops across the position, though information in some of the countries was sketchy at best. Anything coming out of Iran was liable to suspicion these days. Nobody could really tell anything. As for the European Union, he could tell that intel had left them gathered in District capitals - for the purposes of reorganization.

"Sir, if you are ready to continue at the present, we will proceed with the briefing."

"We're going to cover all of" he paused for a moment. "All of that?"

"No sir, I had intended to divide the briefing over by regional sections. I was going to begin with the Orient if that was acceptable to you. We might even manage to fit in the Indian sub-continent, before your meeting with General Dallaire."

"So then, the Orient. The Far East."

orient-first.jpg

Map of the Orient - Intelligence Placement of Divisions Accurate as of 03/05/10.

"Some fairly obvious big players here, sir. All the ones you'd expect. China is of course the big player, followed closely by Russia a little farther north. Intelligence has noticed that China has pulled most of her military resources out of Northern China, all along the border. Whether this is a part of her peace agreement with Russia(1), or if she is just confident enough to leave her borders unguarded, they're not sure. It could, of course, just be faulty intelligence but they seem to think otherwise." Colonel Vasquez said, handing Jaeger a folder of Satellite shots from across the border.

china-flag_3.jpg

chc-first-leaders.jpg

"Currently, China is the biggest threat to American interests in the Pacific. Russia seems to be jockeying for that position as a matter of prestige however, though they have few, if any real issues with one another. It does however create a much larger problem for Japan who has, according to analysis, been distancing herself more and more from the United States. President Hu Jintao however, is seemingly more interested in keeping American attention away from whatever he is doing. Funding for allied regimes and client states has risen by 7% annually for the last 4 years. Whatever he is planning, its going to be big."

"How about Chinese security situation? They seemed to be suffering from unrest several weeks ago." Jaeger interrupted.

"Yes, Sir. It would seem that the Chinese have managed to keep that under wraps and out of the international spot light, while also subduing the protestors in short order. They have however increased security in the western, central, and Tibetan areas in case any more break out."

Jaeger thought for a moment. China was a barrel full of angry sharks. It was only a matter of time til it fell apart. "And cross strait relations?"

"Things between China and Taiwan have effectively cooled down. Things got pretty hot back in the Summer War(2) but after Hu Jintao's visit last year, they have managed to come to an understanding, if not an agreement. Taiwan won't seek independence, and they will increase ties. That has of course, annoyed just about everyone in politics on the island. The public however seem fairly divided on a course of action. If anything, the election of James Soong(3) to the Presidency and the sky rocket of the People First Party severely shook up the region."

20090417-korea-thumb.jpg

"Now, as for the Korean Peninsular, things are surprisingly stable. For the last year China has kept North Korea from doing anything too provocative in the region, while South Korea was able to make use of cheap North Korean labour. The Japanese firms in South Korea love it, and so does everyone else. Still, its uncertain if the economic ties will be enough to keep the relationship from going nuclear - especially given the high level talks we think are going on. Nobody's really sure how that is going to get resolved, and frankly, one persons guess is as good as the next."

Jaeger checked his watch. The time was drawing too close to his meeting. "What about Russia?" he pressed, trying to make time for the sub-continent.

rus-first-leaders.jpg

"Russia seems poised to press Japan even further to drop her issues with the Russian controlled island chains she claims to be her own. They've been moving naval forces to Vladivostok for the last two months now, and some people are starting to wonder if they're trying to compensate for the events of the Summer War(4), show everyone that Russia is still the big man to be feared and respected."

"Indochina on the other hand is incredibly stable. Some border skirmishes between Laos and Vietnam have continued but no one thinks it will develop into anything major. That sir, brings us to the Indian subcontinent." Vasquez said, walking over to another map, even as Jaeger again checked his watch.

It was an old watch, to be sure. Made in the 1970's back before Europe had formed the Union. A couple scratches marked its beauty but, it had always served him well enough. As well as a watch could serve someone. The glossy face warned him that he was pressing it tight, even as the skinniest arm continued round the bend.

"Colonel, I'm going to have to stop you there I'm afraid. We can continue another time. Perhaps tomorrow?"

"Certainly, Sir. What time?"

Jaeger thought for a moment. "How does 0600 sound?"

"Of course, Sir. 0600 it is." Vasquez said, saluting and exiting the room. Jaeger followed soon after, with his navy blue beret in hand. He was going to be late.

_________________~ Further Reading ~ ___________________​

1 - The peace agreement refers to the Summer War. I will be going into that later in far more detail than I want, or have time to describe at this time. Speculate away!

2 - Again, referring to the Summer War. I will explain this, and more as soon as I can. Might even get an update of its own.

images

James Soong.

3 - James Soong was in fact the Real Life candidate for the People First Party and, from what I can understand fell victim to party politics mid-presidential election race. It seemed to cost him some support, and let the Pan-Green Coalition take the presidency. Here, that didn't happen.

4 - Again, referring to the Summer War. I will explain this, and more as soon as I can. Might even get an update of its own.

I'm really looking forward to an explanation on this Summer War; 'cause in the first page you said that China backed Russia's take over of the Baltic States. It sounded as if they were allies, and now they went to war?. I'm confused :(

Last edited:
Could a reunified Korea be in the works? This is interesting.....

We shall have to wait and see ;)

I'm really looking forward to an explanation on this Summer War; 'cause in the first page you said that China backed Russia's take over of the Baltic States. It sounded as if they were allies, and now they went to war?. I'm confused :(

It will be explained very soon. Either later today or tomorrow.

China 2003 looks stronger in here.

I gave them a big unit boost, like most major players. I will be reviewing the Armed Forces in a separate update, but I gave China a large boost to its Army, Navy and Air Force.

world.jpg

The World Today is a Direct Result of the Summer War(1991-1993)

In 1989, in what historians call the 'Year of Disappointment', the Soviet Union and her Warsaw Pact allies infuriated Western nations by crushing East German attempts to bring down the Berlin Wall, and by violently interfering in several democratization efforts and Independence protests in Eastern Europe.

kryuchkov2-cp-3948060.jpg

Vladimir Kryuchkov - 'Butcher of the People'

Some have speculated that, had Vladimir Kryuchkov not been elected to power in 1988, then the world have wound up a very different place. He and his 'Group of Eight' effectively crushed and butchered any form of resistance to his rule within the 4 years he was in power.

Following the failure of negotiation in resolving the crisis - France, West Germany, and several other European nations pushed for a military intervention in East Germany, despite uncertainty over the military strength of the USSR. These states, without the knowledge of other NATO members also entered secret negotiations with China about a joint Invasion of the USSR. Given the severity of the Sino-Soviet Split in 1989, only heightened by skirmishes along the Mongolian border in 1985 and again in 1988, the People's Republic of China agreed to consider the proposal and entered into a reclusive period of contemplation.

nato.gif

NATO became heavily fractured over debates of military intervention into the USSR.

Within NATO, the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Greece and several other nations refused to consider a war with the USSR given their large nuclear deterrence and the number of units they had stationed in Eastern Germany. They advocated simply waiting out the Soviets until their economy collapsed and domestic revolution and opposition forced their total collapse.

In 1990, as American diplomats tried to pressure the USSR into allowing East Germany to fold, conflict erupted in South America between Brazil and the Southern Alliance, ending high level talks between the countries as tensions rose.

The distraction of South America and the increase in tensions lead to the Western European Pro-War block to begin planning their invasion of East Germany, and of Eastern Europe entirely. It would take a year as logistics and personnel were raised for what was hoped would be a short conflict, that would precede American intervention in favour of the Pro-War block and the collapse of the USSR.

To counter the nuclear threat of the Soviet Union, France began increased production of nuclear ordnance and spread nuclear missile launch sites into Germany, Spain, and Holland. Throughout the remainder of the year, military co-operation between the nations increased and NATO talks became increasingly heated. Eventually, the Pro-War states had effectively rendered NATO inept to deal with any conflict.

saddam_hussein.jpg

Saddam Hussein announcing the Invasion of Kuwait. It went unnoticed by the outside world.

As 1990 came to a close, Iraq invaded Kuwait and was mostly unnoticed by a world focused on the tensions in South America, even as China surpassed the USSR for support of Brazil, and the USSR suffered ever increasing civil unrest.

In 1991, on the 13 of February, the Pro-War block launched their Invasion of Eastern Europe, collectively known as Operation Malignant. Initially supported by the Norway and acting in concert with various separatist and insurgent groups in Eastern Europe, the Pro-War block made initial gains in East Germany, and pushed into Yugoslavia as Italy reluctantly committed itself to combat operations. Finland, while not involved in Operation Malignant soon declared war on the USSR in an attempt to seize Karelia and the Kola Peninsula while the world went to hell.

War+Stories+of+Infantry+-+Desert+Storm.jpg

French troops taking up positions in Eastern Germany - Biological and Chemical Warfare was an unrealized fear in the war.

American Commanders, unsure of their governments position and unaware of their course of action were divided and many acted on their own discretion, some marching alongside the Pro-War block and others refraining from advance and notifying their superiors.

Almost immediately, NATO collapsed as Britain, Ireland and the North American states declared neutrality and booted the nations now engaged against the Soviet Union. The USSR, plagued by economic catastrophe and a critical supply deficiency managed to put up a hard fight, but was steadily pushed back. As the hard line leaders of the USSR expressed defiant optimism, states within the Warsaw Pact split, declared neutrality, or joined with the Pro-War block. Chief among them, Poland and Czechoslovakia declared open hostility against the USSR, as Hungary declared neutrality. Fighting soon erupted within these states as Soviet Forces began fighting against their former comrades, or surrendered. In East Germany however, cut off and outnumbered, Soviet Forces conceded defeat and surrendered.

1157281651_470x353_mi-24-hind-helicopter-wallpaper.jpg

The Mi-24 Hind proved to be a vital aid to the Soviet Army, launching support operations and raids into enemy territory. It could not however, stave off the Coalition armies forever.

As they began to do so, the Russian Army prepared a major counterattack. Their forces first struck Poland, who was only just receiving reinforcements from the Pro-War block, and the Scandinavian States. Despite contradictory expectations, the Finnish Army collapsed in the face of the Russian onslaught, and the European Coalition barely held the Norwegian border, as Sweden flew into a diplomatic rage over the situation.

As America prepared to take sides in the conflict, China entered the fray in a secret agreement with the European Coalition and launched an invasion of Central Asia, Mongolia, and the Vladivostok area. Overwhelmed, Vladivostok and Mongolia fell quickly. America, preferring a moderate Communist state in conflict with another Communist state, over a single powerful communist state, prepared plans to intervene.

001109b42f730945bfb11a.jpg

Chinese Forces quickly overran the Vladivostok Oblast and began bitter fighting that pushed the Soviets out of Mongolia.

1992 began with the American Intervention in Asia, as American warships took to the Chinese Seas and American Marines launched the Liberation of Vladivostok and the Invasion of Coastal China, namely, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Southern China was also host to a small diversionary invasion force.

The world now seemed committed to a Third World War, with America having navigated an avoidance of being a major nuclear target. Within the USSR and all over the world, in Europe, China and America, citizens took the streets and protested the war, and the perceived impending doom.

Either way, the sides of the conflict were set, with Canada, America, Ireland, Britain, and the Soviet Union forming the United Nations forces, and the Pro-War block of Europe and China taking the stance of the First International Coalition,
Europe too became host to a play of minor aerial skirmishes between Coalition and United Nations forces, with several conflicts coming to play at sea between Britain and France as well. West Germany had also become the target of the British Navy, though they managed to skirt any naval conflict to avoid comparisons to World War II.

ARA_Belgrano_sinking.jpg

An unidentified British Ship, crippled and sinking.

By the start of the Summer, what had originated as conflicts between former allies spiraled out of control as Spanish and French naval forces, reluctantly accompanied by German forces battled the British and American Navies in the North Sea, in a campaign of superiority that culminated in the Battle of Devil’s Hole where the British and American Naval forces suffered a stinging defeat that saw many ships knocked out of action, if not altogether destroyed. Chief among the casualties was the HMS Illustrious.

A Coup within Russia however, by Mikhail Gorbachev in August and public outrage over the war in America, Britain, and Eastern Europe forced the key players to the table, even as European Coalition forces consolidated their hold in Poland and East Germany and as American-Russian forces fought against the Chinese.

Much of the remainder of the year was spotted with major offensives that failed, followed by calls for diplomacy, followed by skirmishes that lead to major campaigns - such as the British Cloud Campaign that destroyed much of the European Air Forces.

Taiwan almost joined the conflict in late 1992, offering bases to American and United Nations forces before being struck in a Chinese air bombardment of its naval bases. The ensuing row and the revelation to the public of the Presidents actions, lead to his resignation after numerous protests.

destuction.jpg

Pakistani intervention in Afghanistan brought wide spread destruction to an already battered nation - and is argued to have prevented a conflict with India.

Despite lingering hatreds between Pakistan and India, and on the Korean Peninsula, conflict in these areas was averted as neither side wished to take on the allies of the other. As well, North Korea was stuck between her loyalties to the Soviet Union and to the People's Republic of China - while Pakistan was largely occupied by ongoing negotiations with the Afghan Taliban, and fighting in the Afghan Civil War.

1993 began a wave of diplomatic summits to peacefully resolve the conflict, and save the world from Nuclear Holocaust. Within the first meeting, the sides of the war had agreed to hold a ceasefire as the USSR threatened WMD usage against China, followed by similar warnings from France against Russia and so on. For a year afterwards, peace talks were ongoing and held in neutral nations, from Switzerland to Sweden, to Japan, and to Israel though they were often plagued by skirmishes and efforts by Gorbachev to keep the Soviet Union alive until he could reform the system in place.

As the conflict threatened to expand into South America, and with the Iranian Invasion of the Caucasus in 1993, the world held it’s breath, expecting nothing short of nuclear annihilation. The events at the talks and in the skies and seas of Europe and Asia kept the world’s attention away from the Middle East long enough, that Saddam Hussein and his allies in Yemen brought together the states of Arabia, to form the Republic of the Crescent in a bloody Coup that saw the Royal Families and Sheiks, slaughtered.

0000093292-unnati013-004.jpg

Numerous diplomatic meetings helped to stabilize the situation and bring about a peace agreement. It has been called one of the few, and by some the only, victory of the United Nations Organization. (Partly to play off public support, the United Nations Alliance formed by US, UK, and the USSR was named for the United Nations Organization but had no ties with the organization itself.)

In late 1993, the world had witnessed the greatest diplomatic feat in history, as Gorbachev, newly elected President Bill Clinton and the leaders of all the powers involved came together to resolve the conflict. It was called the Treaty of Jerusalem.

Knowing that Russia could not keep all her territories from the war, it was decided that Russia would surrender her control of the Eastern European states and allow them self-government unimpeded by Moscow, while they would also grant sovereignty a group of states along its border with Iran and it’s ally Pakistan to defuse tension, and because of local independence movements. Mongolia would also be surrendered to China, while China would surrender claims and war gains in Siberia and Primorsk. Russia however was allowed to keep occupation of Finland and her pre-war territory.

In return for these concessions, Poland and Eastern European states would be kept out of the Coalition’s sphere of influence to provide a buffer zone between the states. Italy, would turn against her former allies in negotiations, and Norway would also turn against them after their abandonment of Finland.

The European faction of the Coalition was however allowed a leading role in the diplomatic break up of Yugoslavia, given her occupation of half of that nation, and was given total lead in the integration of East Germany into a solid Germany nation.

Iran however was generally excluded from these talks save for a brief invitation to the talks held in Sweden. After their refusal and continuation of their campaign in the Caucasus, they settled on a separate treaty with the Soviets that let them emerge as the victor.

The peace agreement also confirmed the end of the Soviet Union, and the birth of the Russian Federation under the Presidency of Mikhail Gorbachev. Though he would resign within two years, he was still hailed for his leadership during the Summer War.

The agreement also included numerous provisions for nuclear arms reductions, and for general reductions in troop levels. Most of these recommendations however, were never followed by any party. This agreement, was followed soon afterwards by the Treaty of Miami that ended the War in South America and brought the world to an uneasy peace that has generally persisted.

russian-flag.jpg

Russia continued to collapse after the Peace Treaty.

Independence for countries such as Belarus and the Ukraine would come in 1995, after Gorbachev's successor held referendums that lead to their split from the Russian Federation. The Baltic countries, and Finland however, remained under military occupation and were never granted such referendums.

Since then, resentment for her Western Allies grew again in Russia and the alliance between the European Coalition and China gradually fizzled out as Europe united, forming what many are calling one of the most powerful nations to have ever existed - the European Union

European-Union-Flag.jpg

OOC : A long update and explanation to be sure, and that will hopefully clear up some uncertainties about the alternate timeline we have here.

Any further questions will be answered as best as possible - though many questions such as 'This is impossible' or 'They could never defeat the USSR' are explained through the obvious 'This is an Alternate Timeline filled with subtle changes that lead to increased military power amongst many nations.'

Still though, I will help out as best I can with understanding.

So what's the complete situation in the Middle East.
Other than a theocratic nation spanning the Arabian Peninsula, what else is happening with Israel and her neighbors?

Did they all turn into Muslim Theocracies? Or some become democracies?

I'd expect some change considering a Third World War would bring a huge amount of Partisan activity to most regions.

Impossible Russia could never wittstood full occupation. Bet you didn't expect that :D.

You're absolutely right. :p I expected the total opposite. :D

The world must be breathing easily now that the threat of nuclear apocalypse is over.

Over - but not fully gone. Still though it would have breathed easy after the Treaty of Jerusalem.

So what's the complete situation in the Middle East.
Other than a theocratic nation spanning the Arabian Peninsula, what else is happening with Israel and her neighbors?

Did they all turn into Muslim Theocracies? Or some become democracies?

I'd expect some change considering a Third World War would bring a huge amount of Partisan activity to most regions.

I will be going more into that in an update sometime next week. Not entirely sure when. Might fit it into the update with the Indian Sub-continent.

Great historical overview, the world that was born from all this chaos indeed looks very interesting.

Looks like that Saddam controls a great part of world oil reserves now, his plan for dominance in Arab world was actually successful in this alternate universe. I look forward to see how the relations between various blocs and individual contries look like.

I will be going more into that in an update sometime next week. Not entirely sure when. Might fit it into the update with the Indian Sub-continent.

Please make it so some of the countries around Israel don't necessarily want to MURDER IT. Like one maybe.

That makes a couple of things clear. So, basically after an aborted WWIII the old alliances are dead, everyone is watching his back and no one is too strong. The only thing I missed is how Norway and Sweden merged...

Another issue, this photo:

ARA_Belgrano_sinking.jpg

Using a photo of a boat sunk by the brits as a british ship sinking! You Sir are a master of the photo irony!

Great historical overview, the world that was born from all this chaos indeed looks very interesting.

Looks like that Saddam controls a great part of world oil reserves now, his plan for dominance in Arab world was actually successful in this alternate universe. I look forward to see how the relations between various blocs and individual contries look like.

Indeed, he was very successful. Only Iran and a few other countries such as Jordan and Syria bordering his nation didn't join it.

Interesting situation. However, with a Greater China, I think Japan and ROK would be VERY close to one another. Perheps as can get an East Asian Federation into the works.....

The problem with the ROK and Japan merging is that, not only does that conjure memories of the Invasion and Occupation of Taiwan in Asia, but it also brings back memories of Imperial Japan undoubtedly and would be a great propaganda point for China - never mind the fact that China would then be brought into conflict over the recognition of Taiwan as a separate entity, one that is operating under a united banner with Japan. I find it hard to believe they could ever allow that to happen.

Still though, in this AAR, just about anything is possible. Anyone have differing opinions or views on this that they would like to share?

EDIT : Scratch that. Thought you meant the ROC, but joining with the ROK would still have some similar issues with old memories ...

Please make it so some of the countries around Israel don't necessarily want to MURDER IT. Like one maybe.

I have had that covered for a while. More explanation will be in the next update. Given the possibilities though, who do you suspect could be on good terms with Israel?

That makes a couple of things clear. So, basically after an aborted WWIII the old alliances are dead, everyone is watching his back and no one is too strong. The only thing I missed is how Norway and Sweden merged...

Another issue, this photo:

ARA_Belgrano_sinking.jpg

Using a photo of a boat sunk by the brits as a british ship sinking! You Sir are a master of the photo irony!

How the Nordic Union came about will be explained in due time. As for the ship, it is very difficult to find pictures of a modern naval vessel sinking. Still though, it is beautiful irony, isn't it? :p

Well I'm assuming no Theocracy other than Persia and that Iraqi/Arabian one exist their currently. So Maybe Egypt and a Syrian-Union could have made a deal with Israel. Such as one returning it to it's 1967 borders by Progressive leaders brought on by Peaceful revolutions.

just and opinion though

Well I'm assuming no Theocracy other than Persia and that Iraqi/Arabian one exist their currently. So Maybe Egypt and a Syrian-Union could have made a deal with Israel. Such as one returning it to it's 1967 borders by Progressive leaders brought on by Peaceful revolutions.

just and opinion though

I don't think that Republic of the Crescent (Mesopotamia plus Arabia) is theocracy. It's probably still ruled by secular Baathist regime of Saddam Hussein, judging from the description. If Saddam is still in power, this also means rivalry with Iran.