• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I had been wondering how he was going to get away. I would have guessed a submarine pickup, so the helicopter was surprise.

Man that was exciting! It was most excellently written, and I like that Christopher guy already!

Thanks!

He will appear quite a bit.

Will the Russians declare War?
I can see the headline

Peace Loving Russia Attacked by Rowdy Europeans!

ooooo Irony

I had been wondering how he was going to get away. I would have guessed a submarine pickup, so the helicopter was surprise.

I was thinking of submarine, except that reminded me too much of COD MW 2, and I wanted to stick relatively close to the original post from 2008.

Nouvelles d'Union Fédérales
Broadcasting from Paris, District of France, European Union

fb95c00870139bb4_Picture_3.png

"Bonjour et - welcome to Federal Union News. It is 9:01 on October 3 2003, and in a few short hours, the government is expected to make an announcement on the completion of a large portion of the Iberian Transportation Project. After months of arduous work, it seems that much of the infrastructure in Spain has been heavily increased, with roads repaired, highways constructed, train tracks laid and a number of new subway systems in various cities. It is expected that Peter Struck, with President Kohler and Chancellor Zapatero, will be making the joint announcement at around 11 o'clock."

INFRA-SPAIN-First.jpg

"According to sources, a large part of the work was done by 'State Employee's', or so called 'Conscript Workers'. While they have proven to be efficient, the use of convicted felons and welfare recipients has garnered a certain amount of controversy, both at home and abroad. Last week, a protest in Washington D.C. against the practice called for sanctions or increased dialogue to alleviate the practice. According to polls conducted by Federal Union News, the practice is well received in France, Germany and Portugal, where over 65% of those surveyed said they agreed with the practice. It was viewed more negatively in the Netherlands and Belgium, where around 39% of those surveyed said they agreed with the practice, while Spain seemingly remained unsure on which stance to take despite having prospered the most from the practice. Approval ratings in Spain stood at 48%, drawing the national figures to between 55% and 65% approval."

ITALY-Blackout-First.jpg

"Meanwhile, government officials have downplayed the recent national black out in Italy. Stopping short of blaming any particular party, Foreign Minister Javier Solana did point to the actions of a foreign entity possibly being involved in the power outage."

07f13c237d15d2e1d503b14bd365_grande.jpg

"I do believe that it is too early in the investigations to rule out the involvement of a foreign party in the recent Italian Blackout. I don't want to speculate on which party that may turn out to be, be it a terrorist group or a foreign government, but I think that in the world we live in, it is foolish to immediately discard the involvement of a foreign entity in such a national crisis. If Italian authorities find no such foreign involvement, I won't be surprised. If Italian authorities do find foreign involvement, I won't be surprised. Either way, the European Union is here to provide them with any aid they should require."​

"No comment has been received from Italian authorities on the offer for aid, or on the possibly involvement of a foreign power. In related news, Russian authorities are still piecing together the events that resulted in the total destruction of an oil rig in the Arctic Circle. Operated by Russian National Oil Inc. the rig had been in service for less than a year when disaster struck, killing most onboard. Of the three men to have been found alive at the scene, one has since died and the second has remained in a coma. The third however, Captain Dmitri Taylor, is recovering, both from frostbite, and to a supposed shrapnel wound in his leg from the disaster. We wish him a speedy recovery."

dmitritaylor.jpg

Captain Dmitri Taylor. Photo taken from the Russian National Archives.
Dmitri Taylor is shown here attending celebration ceremonies for the anniversary of the Great Patriotic War. He was honourary guest of President Vladimir Putin. (1)

"Rumours still circulate as to what exactly caused the disaster, however some sources say that Russia has called on the FSB to pursue the investigation. Some are also suggesting that Chinese officials are aiding in the investigation, though this could not be confirmed. As the investigation is still ongoing, and with the involvement of the FSB, it is increasingly difficult to ascertain whether foreign involvement was indeed a factor in the disaster. When questioned, Russian officials refuse to make note of suspects, though one official pressed the notion that it was perpetrated by nationals from the Eastern European Coalition of Sovereign States, when offered anonymity. Doubtless, the world watches with uncertainty as it awaits the outcome of the investigation."

US-INDIA-First.jpg

"In other news, President of the United States, George W. Bush and Prime Minister Vajpayee of India met several days ago in Washington, D.C. Upon his arrival, the Prime Minister was welcomed by the President, and First Lady. Once at the White House, the two discussed issues of mutual concern such as the Iranian search for Nuclear Weapons, and the increasingly aggressive government of Pakistan. A new trade agreement was also agreed upon, and after further discussion, both states pledged to do more to combat the spread of piracy from Somalia, and from the embattled state of Sri Lanka."

"Finally, tensions are on the rise in the Balkans after a diplomatic row between Montenegro and Serbia. Apparently, a recent arrest made by the National Guard of Montenegro occurred in a strip of disputed territory. The territory has been a source of contention between the states, though a diplomatic resolution has been in the works for sometime. Whether this will affect the process, remains to be seen."

"My name is Reynold de Burgundy, and that's the state of the world. Weather and Sports, after the break."

_________________~ Further Reading ~ ___________________​

1 - The picture here, is actually a picture of Viggo Mortensen. Not sure where it was taken though. Originally, I had looked at getting a picture of Sean Connery for Dmitri, and then I had thought about Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris. As it turns out, Viggo Mortensen with his beard like this, is perfect for the role.

As well, you may be wondering about why he was the special guest of Vladimir Putin. I won't explain that just yet, because it will probably come up soon, but if I miss it, just pester me and I'll explain.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned that the news head looks like will ferrel?

So i wonder what the captain has to say about the disaster

Is a sudden power outage the field test of a new european weapon?

Neither do I.

Finally a wise move: keeping Italy in darkness :D:D:D

Has anyone mentioned that the news head looks like Will Ferrel?

So i wonder what the captain has to say about the disaster

Is a sudden power outage the field test of a new European weapon?

I was wondering when someone might comment on Reynold de Burgundy. ;P

We shall hear from the good Captain soon enough.

As for the power outage, it was caused by the same thing that caused it in real life. I believe, from my reading, it was a storm that knocked down some power lines on the 27th. Ours happened a few days later, but the political atmosphere of this world makes everyone suspicious of everyone else.

That is Will Ferrell.

EDIT - I can't see Viggo.

I assure you it's him :p

Interesting update! Give us more!

Ps: Can't see Viggo either.

With the arrival of summer, I hope to update regularly.

I assure it's him :p

Neither do I.

Finally a wise move: keeping Italy in darkness :D:D:D

How come nobody can see Viggo behind that beard?

'Cause the picture of Vigo isn't there; at least I can't see it.

It's odd, because copying the link

http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/viggo-mortensen2.jpg[

I can see Viggo. Perhaps the original web doesn't allow hotlinks...

Well, there's only one logicall explanation then, the Russians did it

I can see it fine ... odd. Maybe I'll reupload the image somewhere and then relink it.

EDIT : I thought you meant that you didn't think it was Viggo ...

No no I actually meant the picture wasnt working, but I can see it now. Seems to work fine. Strange.

That's because I re-uploaded the image and changed the link :p

Foreign Intelligence Service
Operation 10503 - Dmitri Taylor
13:02 - Moscow Time
October 4 2003

Dmitri woke in the hospital room, just as the door creaked open. His vision was blurred at first, as his eyes darted around the room. The pale green paint still needed a new coating. The tiling of the floor was still in need of a wash. The window still needed to be opened, and his bandage still needed changing. How he loved Muscovite Hospitals.

Through the fogged glass window of the door however, he could still make out a similar face. Her hand came round, gripping the chipped wood of the door before she entered. Her nails were still red, and her ring was missing. He thought of the last time he had seen them. Months ago now. Their brief reunion then had been interrupted by drums and horns and the rumble of tanks in Red Square.

She poked her head in slowly, unsure what to expect like she normally did. She smiled with him, as their eyes met. She had hardly changed a day. Her long black hair was still hugging her shoulders, and her eyes were the same chocolate brown. He wasn't sure if it would still be there, but he could make it out. The faintest spark in her eyes. That fire that was her.

"Viktoria Ivanova. How are you my dear?" he said.

"Dmitri, I didn't come here so you could ask me how I am. I'm not the one who survived the latest big disaster to hit Russia." she laughed. "How's your leg?"

"Should be as good as new in a few months. Maybe a little scar, something to write home about." He joked as she walked over in her scarlet dress, smiling at the end of his bed. "I see you got a tan."

"Yes, well Morocco will do that to you." she said.

"I wasn't aware we had contacts in Morocco."

"We don't."

They looked at each other for a second. The old game of the Foreign Intelligence Service vying for control with the Federal Security Service, flaring up between them. "How have you been?" he asked.

She grew more serious for a moment. "Alright, I suppose. About as good as I can be, all things considered."

There was a slight pause as they both thought about what she had just said, and both of them knew she was lying. "How is Inna holding up? I can't imagine it being easy for a three year old."

"I'm not sure that she even knows what's happening. Her whole world has been torn to pieces, and all she wants to know is why she can't see her Father." She said, coming around to sit on the bed. "I don't understand him."

"What's to understand, Viktoria? He ran." She thought about it for a moment.

"Well, enough of that. I have an offer here, from the Service." She said, invigorated by the change of tone.

"I didn't think the FSB would be so eager to have me assigned again." He smirked.

"Oh this isn't an offer from the FSB." She handed him a folder and he flipped it open, a map of the Balkans falling onto the bed. He glanced at it for a second, before bringing his gaze up to her.

"You're back in the game."

___________________________________​

Nouvelles d'Union Fédérales
Broadcasting from Paris, District of France, European Union

fb95c00870139bb4_Picture_3.png

"And in other news this evening, tensions continue to flare in the Balkans as several Anti-Montenegrin riots erupted across Serbia as demands for the release of an uncertain number of Serbian Nationals went unanswered by the Montenegrin government. Meanwhile, European Officials noted an increase in both Serbian and Montenegrin military movements. Whether this is in preparation for offensive operations, or just as a pre-cautionary measure, is unknown at this time."

"While the United Nations Security Council pushed for a diplomatic resolution, Serbian protesters outside the headquarters in New York clashed with police. A smaller demonstration also erupted in Paris today, where Nationals from both sides protested. Police kept the two sides apart, and no one was injured."

Last edited:
Can't wait for the EU to expand :D

Ah, but is it the EU who will expand first? ;)

I'd like to see Panorama (a BBC program) do a special report on Europe if you've got time :)

I'm not familiar with Panorama. I tried to see a clip of theirs but the site won't let me because I'm in Canada. I might be able to do a BBC special though. Or a CBC special to get some differing views, if people are interested.